As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    KH2 is like top 3 most fun games I have ever played in my whole long life of playing vidya.

It's just so damn good.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I find it interesting the Disney characters that actually fit in with the anime shit

like the relationships Sora has with Aladdin and Hercules actually feel genuine and earned, as opposed to ones with like Jack Sparrow that feel extremely forced

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Here is a question:

Why does 3D restrict what I can name my Dream Eaters? The game isn't even online.

Just a guess, but the 3DS version has a feature where you can use Streetpass to leave special portals for other players. I think your names are used there?

And they kept the filter around in the ps4 version why exactly? Also, why are they filtering out random given names?

Apparently the name was used in some obscure racist children's book, but like, who fucking cares? I'm just trying to name my pokemon after my friends.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I find it interesting the Disney characters that actually fit in with the anime shit

like the relationships Sora has with Aladdin and Hercules actually feel genuine and earned, as opposed to ones with like Jack Sparrow that feel extremely forced

Isn't "extremely forced" Jack Sparrow's key character archetype?

LD50 on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Here is a question:

Why does 3D restrict what I can name my Dream Eaters? The game isn't even online.

Just a guess, but the 3DS version has a feature where you can use Streetpass to leave special portals for other players. I think your names are used there?

And they kept the filter around in the ps4 version why exactly? Also, why are they filtering out random given names?

Apparently the name was used in some obscure racist children's book, but like, who fucking cares? I'm just trying to name my pokemon after my friends.

Lazy coding would be my first guess.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Also I hope KH3 does like a double back sorta thing like KH2 did to get more time in each world and make the game longer. I really liked the whole flow of that game.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just really hope that if this game is using a command deck, that they make both shoulder buttons cycle the list instead of only one or just the reset to favorite position that BBS and DDD did.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    going by trailers, I don't think it uses the Command Deck.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Here is a question:

Lazy coding would be my first guess.

Or “it might break something if we took it out, so instead we’ll leave it in because we know it works.”

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I just really hope that if this game is using a command deck, that they make both shoulder buttons cycle the list instead of only one or just the reset to favorite position that BBS and DDD did.

It's a mainline game. The deck stuff is side game stuff.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    SimBen wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    I've only played 1, 2, and part of BBS. Does Maleficent ever reach the villain heights she had in 1? It seems like they put her on the backburner of villany with Pete and she's just "there" but not really a threat to anyone.

Maleficent and Pete in KH2 are very much Rita Repulsa and Goldar and I love it. Which makes Organization XIII the Machine Empire, for those following along.

Though I like less that they sidelined every other Disney villain, only having Hades and Oogie Boogie show up in their respective levels as a local boss (and Ursula for a song), and having Agrabah being all about how Jafar coming back would be bad but you don't actually even see Jafar.

don't you fight jafar's genie form? or was that in KH1

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I've only played 1, 2, and part of BBS. Does Maleficent ever reach the villain heights she had in 1? It seems like they put her on the backburner of villany with Pete and she's just "there" but not really a threat to anyone.

Maleficent and Pete in KH2 are very much Rita Repulsa and Goldar and I love it. Which makes Organization XIII the Machine Empire, for those following along.

Though I like less that they sidelined every other Disney villain, only having Hades and Oogie Boogie show up in their respective levels as a local boss (and Ursula for a song), and having Agrabah being all about how Jafar coming back would be bad but you don't actually even see Jafar.

Apparently I was wrong and it happens on the revisit, which I'd forgotten.

You do also fight him in 1, though. And CoM.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Apparently I was wrong and it happens on the revisit, which I'd forgotten.

You do also fight him in 1, though. And CoM.

Just like Sora said, “Kingdom Hearts is lightliberal re-use of assets”

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I know now, kingdom hearts is lit

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I know now, kingdom hearts is lit

"Smoke the X(chi), Sora."

• Options
    Sanctuary
    So I've decided I'm not a huge fan of the 'drop' mechanic in 3d. It's kinda funny, I expected to not like it because it would interrupt me mid world run, but that isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is when I'm trying to do side content of some sort, like collecting treasures I've missed.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man...I started DDD in the PS4 collection, and was fighting one of the first bosses and was like 2 hits away from killing him when it dropped me to Riku. Haven't gone back to that game since.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    There are items that add time to the drop meter.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    god The World That Never Was is so goddamn cool looking

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I just realized... the Deluxe edition of this game...

Maybe it’s the Nobody of a secret Elude edition...

Or maybe it’s the nobody of “DDT Eileen, oiu”

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I just realized... the Deluxe edition of this game...

Maybe it’s the Nobody of a secret Elude edition...

Or maybe it’s the nobody of “DDT Eileen, oiu”

The real questions is where is Elude's heartless?

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I've been watching this one streamer play through the whole series as a refresher for KH3. He's doing a whole run that he started on 1-1. Currently in the middle of KH2 and man o man it's just reminding me of how much I loved that game.

Also glad to see that he feels the same way about it.

It's just so fun. Like just pure fun playing that game. And it has a bunch of different systems that just all work well together and it really makes you care about making use of them all and ugh.

It's crazy that I haven't played a single action-y jrpg since KH2 that has actually managed all of that. It's been so dang long.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Oh dang. There's keyblade artwork that was just released for some assortment of the worlds. I didn't go through so I can't tell you how many and I want to avoid it so I can't link it.

I did see one that was used as the article image from the site I was on and it looked super rad.

So if you are interested in that stuff go check it out!

I saw it on gematsu.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Looks like there’s also a leak of the Trophies (which would mostly line up with Achievements).

Looks like most of them will be visible; only a few secret ones, and that article hides the secret ones behind its own spoiler tag... but don’t click the link if you don’t want anything spoiled.

Link here:

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Guess it's time to stop reading the kingdom hearts thread

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    good lord Mena Suvari is just so awful as Aeris

I have to wonder if they gave her like, ANY direction

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sanctuary

Did they redub her lines from the first game in the opening of KH2? Because apparently Mandy Moore played her in the first game and it seems real odd that they'd fuck up in the same way in both games with two different actresses

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Did they redub her lines from the first game in the opening of KH2? Because apparently Mandy Moore played her in the first game and it seems real odd that they'd fuck up in the same way in both games with two different actresses

I'm sure they did because I remember them dubbing over Billy Zane Ansem's flashback scenes with a new voice actor in KH2.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Most likely they had her in a recording booth for 2-3 hours for all five of her lines in FF7: Advent Children and added on her KH2 lines as an afterthought towards the end of the session.

"Oh, yeah, could you run through these lines, too? Same character, different situation. It's for some Disney game, Kingdom something-or-other..."

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I love that Square's commitment to casting Hot Young Actors in 2004 means there is a major product releasing in 2019 starring Haley Joel Osment, David Gallagher, Hayden Panettiere, and (probably) Jesse McCartney

and who expected Hayden Panettiere would be the only one of those to still be sorta relevant

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Jesse McCartney is easily the best voice actor of the major names, which is wild

• Options
    Sanctuary
    David Boreanez was the perfect choice for Squall.

I was so hyped for that when I first played since I was a huge Buffy/Angel fan as a kid.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I'm sure McCartney will be reprising his role in KH3. He even came back for 2.5 to record stuff for re. coded HD.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

I was so hyped for that when I first played since I was a huge Buffy/Angel fan as a kid.

It's a damn shame they switched him for KH2. I was too a huge Angel fan too.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    God I forgot Lion Sora runs around at Original Doom speed.

WHEEEEE!!!

sig.gif
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Jesse McCartney is easily the best voice actor of the major names, which is wild

He's a really good Dick Grayson!

It was very surprising

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Launch patches

29th: Memory Archive, the historia of KH to date
    30th: Epilogue movie
    31st: Secret Movie

• Options
    Sanctuary

It's a damn shame they switched him for KH2. I was too a huge Angel fan too.

Yea, I was also quite sad about that. The Angel voice and personality was such a good fit for Squall.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Launch patches

29th: Memory Archive, the historia of KH to date
    30th: Epilogue movie
    31st: Secret Movie

This is a WAY BETTER Youtube insurance than locking the PS4 captures, Atlus.

sig.gif