As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »
    I mean, the soundtrack for Doomguy alone should put him in the running, especially if they focus on Mick Gordon's work. You don't need to heavily edit or remix that stuff to make good fight music. Just cut it down for time.

I expect at least one Japanese composer to remix E1M1 though. Actually, do we expect ANY remixes or just original tracks?

Who knows. There were some remixes in the Smash 4 DLC, though not many. It's possible the IP madness of this stuff will encourage more remixes, but a company could always pull a Squeenix and get pissy.

...I mean, if we get Minecraft it would pretty much HAVE to be remix-heavy, since those tunes make elevator music sound head-banging.

True to all dat. One or two remixes and a best-of collection for each set is fine by me.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Now imagine those lyrics as sung by a girl idol group. Or vocaloid.

Love me, Rocket ❤️💖❤️
    Bang! Bang! Boom!
    Love me, Rocket ❤️💖❤️
    From Mars to the Moon!

Just hand the song to the gals from Babymetal.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's always fascinating to see other folks blindspots when it comes to these rumour characters. I probably would not have guessed people don't care about Joker from P5, but then to call Doomguy a bottom of the barrel pick is just bizarro world to me. It's fucking Doomguy!

Meanwhile I have never heard of Erdick. Blindspots!

Oh brilliant
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It simply wouldn’t cause enough chatter among fans because the F Zero series is dead, but I’d quite like another rep to go along with Captain Falcon. Say Samurai Goroh, Jody Summer or Black Bull.

For reference, Jody Summer could legit be Zero Suit Samus. Just as is pretty much. Shame really.
    yvad44ptmomm.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    It's always fascinating to see other folks blindspots when it comes to these rumour characters. I probably would not have guessed people don't care about Joker from P5, but then to call Doomguy a bottom of the barrel pick is just bizarro world to me. It's fucking Doomguy!

I agree, it's continually weird to me how much and how amazingly little I have in common with other gamers depending on what they grew up playing.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    By Doomguy they better mean Doomguy and not that newfangled Doomslayer.

Besides I don't think you can even do the Doomslayer justice in a T rated game.

Man no way, have both as alternating costume picks like Cloud. They are both incredibly awesome!

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I mean, Dragon Quest? Sure you can not know what the character is named, that's entirely reasonable, I don't know either, but "Dude from Dragon Quest" kinda shouldn't surprise anyone. I mean, it was only the single biggest JRPG series to exist for over a decade, significantly bigger than Final Fantasy at the time.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Maybe one day I’ll play one of them.

Drascin wrote: »

I mean, Dragon Quest? Sure you can not know what the character is named, that's entirely reasonable, I don't know either, but "Dude from Dragon Quest" kinda shouldn't surprise anyone. I mean, it was only the single biggest JRPG series to exist for over a decade, significantly bigger than Final Fantasy at the time.

I didn't even know they had a continuity, thought they were each a distinct thing, FF style, so the dude from Dragon Quest might be 10 different guys to me! ;P

I think DQ is where the round slime is from? That's the sum total of my exposure to it, never played one or had a friend talk at length about one to me while I smile politely. Blindspots!

Oh brilliant
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Put Slime in Smash

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    is he actually labeled steve anywhere in game and if so is he steve in all regions

Very late, but he's labeled Steve on all the merch.

There was also a kerfuffle a while back when Mojang released female Alex as a main character option because of course there was. At any rate, their names are very much a thing in Minecraft world.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The main thing I was interested in was the latter part, will we get a bunch of names by changing languages or is he Steve everywhere

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    The main thing I was interested in was the latter part, will we get a bunch of names by changing languages or is he Steve everywhere

Unless it's especially hard to dig up on a Google search it doesn't look like it. Minecraft wikis don't seem to mention it.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Caring about Doom the series is one thing, it's a great series! But "Doomguy" isn't his name. In fact, the creators care so little about the character, that he doesn't actually have a name. They're not even a character at all! So why should I care about them?

Javen on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Caring about Doom the series is one thing, it's a great series! But "Doomguy" isn't his name. In fact, the creators care so little about the character, that he doesn't actually have a name. They're not even a character at all! So why should I care about them?

everybody loves a character named "Wii Fit Trainer"

6F32U1X.png
    Also Duck Hunt Duo, Pokemon Trainer and Mr Game & Watch ;P

Oh brilliant
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    That's just Nintendo branding a wacky and crazy pick. And it's Nintendo's own property, so they could do that. When was the last time R.O.B. or Game and Watch had any relevance? But there they are.

Taking Doomguy as a pick is a bigger leap just because it's third-party representation, and I think the field is wide open on who they can get to fill those few precious DLC slots. Doom is as classic as they come, but the character has no personality. Why couldn't Nintendo take another popular franchise like say Disgaea, and bring in Laharl, or they can even dig into some indies and bring Juan/Tostada over from Guacamelee.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited January 2019
    Javen wrote: »

Doomguy kind of represents a solid chunk of my childhood video gaming experience, so there is that nostalgia, Plus he is a silent bad ass hero like Samus or Master Chief. I think however those of us who have fond memories of DOOM mostly played it on PC and that the console crowd didnt play it or is younger and just doesn't connect with doom very much. Still, it would feel pretty cool to have such an iconic PC FPS figure in the biggest cross up FG ever! Can we think up an excuse to put an X-COM operative in next? :D

DarkMecha on
    y'all should play DOOM 2016 if ya think Doomguy has no personality. Dude says a lot with his hands. He's remarkably well defined in a way that no other first person silent protags have matched, IMO. They could get real silly with his animation.

Oh brilliant
    y'all should play DOOM 2016 if ya think Doomguy has no personality. Dude says a lot with his hands. He's remarkably well defined in a way that no other first person silent protags have matched, IMO. They could get real silly with his animation.

Yeah. Plus the little head in Doom 1 & 2! (lol mostly kidding)

As an aside I loved when
    in the 2016 doom you meet with Hayden and he mentions your "fondness for ...guns" in that disapproving tone of voice, which I think was very fitting.

Or how instead of listening to Hayden go on about harnessing the energy blah blah he just smashes the crap out of it...yeah, he doesn't need to talk to explain himself there.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That's just Nintendo branding a wacky and crazy pick. And it's Nintendo's own property, so they could do that. When was the last time R.O.B. or Game and Watch had any relevance? But there they are.

Taking Doomguy as a pick is a bigger leap just because it's third-party representation, and I think the field is wide open on who they can get to fill those few precious DLC slots. Doom is as classic as they come, but the character has no personality. Why couldn't Nintendo take another popular franchise like say Disgaea, and bring in Laharl, or they can even dig into some indies and bring Juan/Tostada over from Guacamelee.

because they have to get people to want to pay 5 dollars apiece for them, and Doom is more popular than Disgaea and Guacamelee combined times ten

6F32U1X.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Contrary to what I've said in the past, I think that the appearance of indie protags in Brawl-Stars or Brawlhalla or Brawlout or whatever that game is (it's Brawlout, just checked) means that those characters are way less likely to appear in Smash. That includes Hyper Light Drifter, Juan from Guacamelee, Yooka-Laylee, and Dead Cells Dude. Shovel Knight is in Rivals of Aether, too (another brawler). These appearances suggest that these indie devs are super-willing to play ball on licensing, but I also don't think those additions happen if any of these folks are coming to Smash.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

It's less individual blindspots and more whether you are following games popular in Japan or not.

Much as I love Doomguy I think this latest rumor is complete bunk entirely because of his inclusion.

GMaster7 wrote: »
    Contrary to what I've said in the past, I think that the appearance of indie protags in Brawl-Stars or Brawlhalla or Brawlout or whatever that game is (it's Brawlout, just checked) means that those characters are way less likely to appear in Smash. That includes Hyper Light Drifter, Juan from Guacamelee, Yooka-Laylee, and Dead Cells Dude. Shovel Knight is in Rivals of Aether, too (another brawler). These appearances suggest that these indie devs are super-willing to play ball on licensing, but I also don't think those additions happen if any of these folks are coming to Smash.

I dunno, that didn't stop Shovel Knight from being an assist trophy.

Much as I adore Guacamelee I have no idea how he'd be a playable character and not come across as a less interesting Incineroar. Unless they really lean into his chicken attacks.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I went from 1.4 million gsp to 147,000 after losing one match. Is this normal because what the fuck?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
      edited January 2019
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I went from 1.4 million gsp to 147,000 after losing one match. Is this normal because what the fuck?

A full mil is a bit severe, but I have seen 600k swings in the first few matches with a character.

The Escape Goat on
      9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

A full mil is a bit severe, but I have seen 600k swings in the first few matches with a character.

It was my first match online. It came down to 1-1 when I lost . It was really demoralizing to lose that much for one really close match.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
        your starting GSP is basically made up

usually it matches you up against a pretty good player on your first ever game, you get trashed, and then puts you down to like 300k which is the "real" starting GSP

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

It was my first match online. It came down to 1-1 when I lost . It was really demoralizing to lose that much for one really close match.

It's not like other ranked systems that make it hard to climb back out, at least. If you string together a few wins in a row you can gain a lot back.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

It's not like other ranked systems that make it hard to climb back out, at least. If you string together a few wins in a row you can gain a lot back.

Well that's good but it was still shit to see that happen. I might put some good time in this weekend.

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
          edited January 2019
          I've been working on getting all the challenge boards opened. Last night I finally sat down and completed the last "smash board" tiles. Mainly the ones dealing with level 9 cpu's. Wasn't nearly as bad as i was expecting, especially considering they give you 3 minutes for all of them.

Only board left to clear is online, so I guess i have to deal with that now... Sigh

dav3yb on
          PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
        • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
          The online board isn't really as bad as all that

The only tiles I have left on it are for taking 10 and 30 characters into quickplay, I think

dN0T6ur.png
          edited January 2019
          Is there any comprehensive guide on how to unlock all the music? I'm at 875, and near as I can tell the total number is 876? But I have no clue how to track down what I'm missing and Google's no help. I've already cherry-picked all the challenges that give you songs.

cloudeagle on
        • CruorCruor Registered User regular
          Is there any comprehensive guide on how to unlock all the music? I'm at 875, and near as I can tell the total number is 876? But I have no clue how to track down what I'm missing and Google's no help. I've already cherry-picked all the challenges that give you songs.

I remember seeing something about the last music track being in the game but it can't be unlocked, so you may have unlocked all of the music you can.

Cruor wrote: »

I remember seeing something about the last music track being in the game but it can't be unlocked, so you may have unlocked all of the music you can.

I can't find it at the moment, but I swear I saw a music guide on YouTube that specifically showed a music screen with 876 tracks. Though he had no idea if that was the final total either.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular

I can't find it at the moment, but I swear I saw a music guide on YouTube that specifically showed a music screen with 876 tracks. Though he had no idea if that was the final total either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a7hq89/ultimates_missing_877th_song/

Looks like 876 unlockable with an 877th that is in the data but can't be unlocked. So you still have one more possible song to go.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a7hq89/ultimates_missing_877th_song/

Looks like 876 unlockable with an 877th that is in the data but can't be unlocked. So you still have one more possible song to go.

A couple are in chests in WoL, so I suppose make sure you opened all of them (probably, if you're that close).

Steam: Polaritie
          3DS: 0473-8507-2652
          Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
          PSN: AbEntropy
        • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
          Check the Shop, obviously, but when you beat Classic mode, one of your 5 presents for the ending credits can be anything from spirits to game tracks. Did you beat Classic with everyone, yet? Even if you did, maybe that present thing is totally random and could give you the final track.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
          Steam: TheArcadeBear

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
          I missed a chest in world of light, it was a donkey Kong song. Jungle tribal style. It seems to be one people miss a lot.
          On the white wall go left of the city and it is south of a dojo. Sitting on a cliff

Check the Shop, obviously, but when you beat Classic mode, one of your 5 presents for the ending credits can be anything from spirits to game tracks. Did you beat Classic with everyone, yet? Even if you did, maybe that present thing is totally random and could give you the final track.

Yeah, I beat classic with everyone. And I 100%ed WoL. And the shops haven't given me music options for a looooong time.

Gah. I love the huge amounts of music, but it's making it a pain to figure out what I'm missing.

This discussion has been closed.