As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Kinda weird that Mads in a movie called Arctic and a movie called Polar at the same time.

maybe he shot both movies at the same location to save on travel expenses.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    mads is obviously a pretty chill dude

obF2Wuw.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kinda weird that Mads in a movie called Arctic and a movie called Polar at the same time.

Yeah I literally had this conversation when I told my friend I needed to come over and watch this movie.

"I didn't know you liked trial of life movies"

"I don't its not that."

"Oh is this the movie about the dude who's a snow plow driver?"

"no god no damn it."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I literally had this conversation when I told my friend I needed to come over and watch this movie.

"I didn't know you liked trial of life movies"

"I don't its not that."

"Oh is this the movie about the dude who's a snow plow driver?"

"no god no damn it."

When the Polar trailer started my stupid brain though it was a prequel to Arctic then I realized that made 0 sense.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    That's some ROUGH CGI.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't care, will be there, day -1 (literally, Thursday tickets) with friends, let's do this thing!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is funny how Captain Marvel is now a much bigger deal than she was in the comics.

Krathoon wrote: »
    It is funny how Captain Marvel is now a much bigger deal than she was in the comics.

Captain Marvel has been a huge part of the Marvel universe for over 10 years at this point and was always a fairly big part prior to that. I think you could say the same for almost all of the Marvel properties outside of Spider-Man/X-Men. Hell, 10-15 years ago the Avengers weren't even that popular. They only resurged once Bendis got his hands on them.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Is Captain Marvel supposed to be a Kree? Is she a Kree in the comics?

If she's a Kree, how come she aint blue?

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    RT800 wrote: »

Due to getting injured in some sort of weird explosion alongside the original Captain Marvel, she has become kind of a Kree/Human hybrid in the comics. Then some really repugnant shit happens with her character. Then she gets mind-raped and has her powers snatched by Rogue. Then she comes back and puts the X-Men on blast. Then different aliens experimented on her, causing her to become Binary. Then she went away for a decade or so and and came back with a bit more agency.

So to answer your question, she's a little bit Kree and all sorts of f'ed up.

EDIT: Also, not all Kree are blue. Most of them look just like people but a minority of "pure" Kree have blue skin e.g. Ronin.

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Due to getting injured in some sort of weird explosion alongside the original Captain Marvel, she has become kind of a Kree/Human hybrid in the comics. Then some really repugnant shit happens with her character. Then she gets mind-raped and has her powers snatched by Rogue. Then she comes back and puts the X-Men on blast. Then different aliens experimented on her, causing her to become Binary. Then she went away for a decade or so and and came back with a bit more agency.

EDIT: Also, not all Kree are blue. Most of them look just like people but a minority of "pure" Kree have blue skin e.g. Ronin.

This has definitely not been explained adequately in the MCU

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

This has definitely not been explained adequately in the MCU

I suspect that there may be a key part of Captain Marvel that says that there is A) The Kree Empire (citizens being known as Kree) that was founded and run by B) the Kree Species. Pretty sure this isn't the case from the comics, but it would be an easy shorthand for all the hey this guy isn't/wasn't blue questions.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

Captain Marvel has been a huge part of the Marvel universe for over 10 years at this point and was always a fairly big part prior to that. I think you could say the same for almost all of the Marvel properties outside of Spider-Man/X-Men. Hell, 10-15 years ago the Avengers weren't even that popular. They only resurged once Bendis got his hands on them.

Ok. I haven't read comics much in the past 10 years so that makes sense.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Ok. I haven't read comics much in the past 10 years so that makes sense.

She does have the problem that, until recently, she didn't have a defining run despite being around since 1968. That meant she was one of those characters who spent decades being reinvented, redesigned, and ret-conned so many times that everything from her personality to her look to her powers has been constantly in flux.

Phillishere on
    Yeah. I only remember her back when Busiek was on the Avengers.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular

Also, super recent major retcon, happened in a miniseries so maybe it won't even stick...
    Turns out her mom was secretly a Kree the whole time :P

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah. I only remember her back when Busiek was on the Avengers.

Depending on when you read comics, she might also have been known as Binary or Warbird (or Ms. Marvel). During my prime comics reading days, she looked like this:

Uncanny164.jpg

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    From the trailers it looked like they were doing the crash accident kree hybrid origin although apparently there is a movie toy tie in that has her in her binary mode so who knows.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    that looks fun

obF2Wuw.png
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Looks great, but felt like the trailer showed too much.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Man Netflix is really in to Lovecraftian shit at the moment. Looks fun though.

southwick wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Looks great, but felt like the trailer showed too much.

Yeah the trailer flat out shows you one of the like marquee actor deaths.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Trailers are spoilers or lies and best avoided. Unless you want those things.

Xeddicus on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Punisher Season 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLhP5sK2wI

My own reservations about the show aside, that Jigsaw is absolutely pathetic, even for a Netflix show. Like you didn't even try.

TexiKen on
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Punisher Season 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLhP5sK2wI

My own reservations about the show aside, that Jigsaw is absolutely pathetic, even for a Netflix show. Like you didn't even try.

I like the idea of him not being that disfigured but seeing himself as horribly disfigured. If its done intentionally its pathos. Dude is so vain the slightest scar is HORRIBLE SCARRING!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    https://youtu.be/Mj18aFsAT1E

Irish Horror is really god damn freaky.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So here is the black version of Big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3AS3IxtSow

Called Little.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Oooh interesting. Capgras syndrome (imposter syndrome) is a real mental illness where you believe someone has been replaced by an imposter. Looks like they are doing something like that except maybe real.. ill have to check this out.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Oooh interesting. Capgras syndrome (imposter syndrome) is a real mental illness where you believe someone has been replaced by an imposter. Looks like they are doing something like that except maybe real.. ill have to check this out.

The notion of a Changeling (a kind of fae creature that steals and replaces a human child) is old as dirt in Irish folklore. Seeing it on screen is really cool.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The story of Bridget Cleary comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Cleary

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    edited January 2019
    SatanIsMyMotor on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Peter parker seems remarkably corporeal in this trailer.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I was kinda hoping they were going with a
    fantastic four reveal with the elemental
    nature of the baddies, but I'm good with
    jake gyllenhaal mysterio

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    don't watch the Spider-man trailer, it's not a teaser and it kind of sums up the whole movie?

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    jake gyllenhaal mysterio

I'm confused.
    Isn't Mysterio a bad guy? He looks like a good guy in that trailer.

Selner wrote: »
    jake gyllenhaal mysterio

I'm confused.
    Isn't Mysterio a bad guy? He looks like a good guy in that trailer.

I imagine that is all part of a large grift he is playing.

This discussion has been closed.