As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If you use tickets you'll always get a song at least in my experience

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

That stopped happening some time ago.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That stopped happening some time ago.

Hmm. That is a pickle then

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    100% world of light doesnt account for chests. Maybe check the song totals for each series to track down what you're missing.

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Im surprised they don't have an X/Y counter for songs like they do spirits.

Speaking of spirits though, I noticed a lot of people showing the 1297 total number as being all of them, but my counter shows 1302 total now (still missing like 200 though). I'm just wondering where the discrepancy is here.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »

Speaking of spirits though, I noticed a lot of people showing the 1297 total number as being all of them, but my counter shows 1302 total now (still missing like 200 though). I'm just wondering where the discrepancy is here.

Playable fighter spirits and alternate versions of same?

Enlong wrote: »

Maybe? Unless they added a few in the last update... Idk, does anyone elses say X/1302, or does anyone still have the 1297 or whatever number those were.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Maybe? Unless they added a few in the last update... Idk, does anyone elses say X/1302, or does anyone still have the 1297 or whatever number those were.

There've been two sets of Spirits that have been added since the game's release: two Pokemon Let's Go! spirits, and three Super Mario Party spirits from an event just before New Year's. That's where the five additional Spirits are from; all of them should be as numbers 1298-1302. The Let's Go! spirits have, thus far, only been obtainable by having an appropriate Let's Go! save on the same Switch, but it's been reported that a later event will allow everyone a chance to collect them.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That Donkey Kong and Lady spirit battle from the most recent event was a bitch and a half. Goddamn I hate those 75m challenges. Especially when the AI goes to the bottom of the screen where shit gets hidden behind the player portraits and percentages.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    That Donkey Kong and Lady spirit battle from the most recent event was a bitch and a half. Goddamn I hate those 75m challenges. Especially when the AI goes to the bottom of the screen where shit gets hidden behind the player portraits and percentages.

This was the big dk vs you and peach right? And if peach dies you lose?
    Using Olimar + Akuma makes it pretty easy, only takes a few solid arial hits to knock dk out

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Using Olimar + Akuma makes it pretty easy, only takes a few solid arial hits to knock dk out

There is no way I would have known that fighter was advantageous in that fight, I don't think I've even used half the fighters in Ultimate yet. That spirit is hella powerful but it has no slots, so normally I don't use it either. I cleared the Donkey Kong and Lady fight with
    Marth + Geno + Celebi

But I used up all my damn Rematch items in the process.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

There is no way I would have known that fighter was advantageous in that fight, I don't think I've even used half the fighters in Ultimate yet. That spirit is hella powerful but it has no slots, so normally I don't use it either. I cleared the Donkey Kong and Lady fight with
    Marth + Geno + Celebi

But I used up all my damn Rematch items in the process.

No, that combination is just generally stupid because of spirit mode scaling.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    100% world of light doesnt account for chests. Maybe check the song totals for each series to track down what you're missing.

Not a bad idea. Is there any place that has the song totals divided by series?

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not a bad idea. Is there any place that has the song totals divided by series?

List I used:
    Super Smash Bros----113
    Super Mario Bros---91
    Mario Kart---15
    Donkey Kong---28
    The Legend of Zelda---45
    Metroid---25
    Yoshi's Island---14
    Kirby---38
    StarFox---18
    Pokémon---33
    F-Zero---26
    Earthbound---14
    Fire Emblem---41
    Game and Watch---2
    Kid Icarus---13
    Wario Ware---11
    Pikmin---14
    Animal Crossing---21
    Wii Fit---10
    Punch Out!--- 5
    Xenoblade Chronicles---11
    Splatoon---26
    Metal Gear---11
    Sonic---20
    Megaman---31
    PacMan---11
    Street Fighter---38
    Final Fantasy---2
    Bayonetta---11
    Castlevania---34
    Others---104

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ness' pk fire is annoying as shit

it's like, 30% for fuckin' free if he lands it

Decided to venture online some. Didn't bother with the preferred rule stuff, since the challenges require you to get smash tags, i figure FFA might be better for that anyways. I think I'm going to just try and have fun with online, be less serious hardcore 1v1 stuff... at least for now.

Speaking of online though. I noticed that when my switch wakes up from sleep, it likes to kick back over to wifi, and i have to unplug and replug my wired adapter. is this normal for people? It works fine after plugging it back in, or after doing a hard restart of the console, but it's pretty annoying.

And I'm apparently missing 1 song to have the entire library... according to some wiki page there are 876 tracks, I have 875... it's going to be fun figuring out which one I'm missing. I figure i'll not worry much about it until I open all of the Online challenge panels. If there's one hiding under there then I'm good, otherwise I might just have to get lucky?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Clawed up to 1.5 mil with DDD. Figuring out my gordos and it's delightfully evil some of the baits and setups. At long range I can just hand them a hit back... into my waiting mouth.

The occassional kill with a sneaky jet hammer (since it has super armor on the swing?). Finishing people off is still a weak point for me - I'm not comfortable going off stage with a iffy up B, so it's mostly gordo and smash mixes to keep them off. Or just up smash, because it has great arc and ssnds em flying straight up.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I nailed someone on a hilarious final stock with rocket hammer. I was falling towards them facing the wrong way, but it feels it'll spin you around while it's charging pretty much instantly with any input in the other direction (I still don't know if you can turn around mid-air normally but if you can it's a right pain in the ass). So just before I landed I booted up the rocket, spun about, and absolutely blootered them.

I also think Rocket Hammer reaches below ledges and the super armor protects you from a getup attack flinch if you time it right, so I need to get in the habit of charging it after tossing the ledge guard gordo.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    So I think I've discovered something about (my) LAN adapter, and I thought I'd share if anyone else is having this issue. When my switch would wake up from sleep, it would default back to WiFi, instead of the LAN adapter. I went into the settings and removed my WiFi from the console, then made sure the LAN adapter was connecting properly. I added my WiFi back to the console, but now since it was added after the Wired Connection, it seems to set the LAN adapter as preferred connection, so it defaults to that now it seems.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »

oh shit squirtle gets full invulnerability while using withdraw?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Indeed. I thought maybe it was armor or projectile immunity, but he seems to just get pure invulnerability. Mind strong enough hits can send him rocketing in the opposite direction. I've also seen a loading screen mention if you jump on him like a koopa it will knock him out, but I haven't seen it in action.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Just as a reminder to everyone, we have a tournament taking place tomorrow at 7PM Eastern!

Ri99yFn.png

Everyone loves to fight.

dN0T6ur.png
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Indeed. I thought maybe it was armor or projectile immunity, but he seems to just get pure invulnerability. Mind strong enough hits can send him rocketing in the opposite direction. I've also seen a loading screen mention if you jump on him like a koopa it will knock him out, but I haven't seen it in action.

Jumping on him does indeed put him in a helpless state where he's stuck on his back, and I don't think he can mash out of it, so you get a free hit.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Okay, I meant to post about this sooner, but after some discussion earlier this week, we're trying a new set of stages this time!

Neutral: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium, Unova Pokemon League

Counterpick: Wily's Castle, Skyloft, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, WarioWare, Wuhu Island, Castle Siege, Mushroom Kingdom U, Frigate Orpheon, Brinstar

The idea here was to maximize variety in terms of stage layouts while also keeping the selection lean enough that choice of bans matters. This probably isn't a perfect list, so feedback is welcome. I'd like to keep refining things over the coming weeks.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    What brain genius decided Ness's up-b needed to be able to kill people.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

i mean, it sure as hell doesn't help him recover

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Oh my god Gannondorf uses his sword for his smash attacks.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »

i mean, it sure as hell doesn't help him recover

Ness is super annoying but eating their up b when you're a Many Jumps character to gimp them is always a great time.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    you can pocket his upb with isabelle or villager

it's rude as hell when he's trying to recover

Wyborn wrote: »
    Just as a reminder to everyone, we have a tournament taking place tomorrow at 7PM Eastern!

Ri99yFn.png

Everyone loves to fight.

FINAL REMINDER

Today's tournament starts in about 2 hours, so get signed up if you wanna play!

dN0T6ur.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I'll be sitting out this time, but I may play some friendlies with you guys later tonight

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    The tournament has ended!

It was successful, smooth, and had no real issues that anyone made me aware of! Good games! Good games to all!

Our winner this week is @MetaHybrid , who tore across the entire division as Ridley. All honor to MetaHybrid, and may the crown be ripped from their head.

dN0T6ur.png
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Good games everyone! You can take my crown after you pry it from my cold dead space pirate claws.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Good games everyone! You can take my crown after you fishing rod it out of my cold dead space pirate claws.

What exactly do tickets do?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    What exactly do tickets do?

Spend them before a Classic Mode run to increase rewards, or use it to Continue in Classic Mode without losing any Intensity.

Tickets are also a fantastic way to grind for spirits/music/Mii outfits.

Is classic mode the only place you can use them?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Classic Mode is, in fact, the only place you're allowed to use Classic Tickets.

In unrelated news, the boffins over at Reddit have determined through experimentation that darkness attacks like Mewtwo's smashes and Ganondorf's Warlock Fist are powered up by Fire/Explosion Attack Up, and not by PSI Attack Up or Magic Attack Up as you might expect. Do with this information what you will.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
This discussion has been closed.