As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I'm not sure how recently it was added, but I noticed that building in a vassal's holding gives a +10 "Funded Buildings in my Demesne" bonus that lasts five years.
    That’s been there for awhile, I think ...

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Started as the Count of Boulogne and managed to put the right guy in charge

yoDSosf.jpg

Also, AI, what are you doing

DVq0oEe.jpg

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

Apparently going of its way to not pay its mercenaries.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So Saxony, ruled by the AI, managed to reform the Germanic faith, which doesn't really happen often in my experience. If an AI manages to reform a pagan faith at all, it's usually Tengri.

Soon after, the Pope called for a crusade on Saxony. Which was kind of odd, because while the reformed Germanic faith controls Saxony and most of Scandinavia, most of Europe is part of Austrasia, which is ruled by Manicheans. Somehow. Apparently some Alexander the Great-style conqueror managed to carve out a huge chunk of Europe and it's all Manichean now.

But since I'm playing as the King of Iraq, currently still shielded by the Abbassid Caliphs, none of that is actually all that relevant to me.

Oh, and the Children's Crusade just showed up in front of the gates of Jerusalem with 60,000 troops. So that's kind of worrying.

WotanAnubis on
    Platy wrote: »

Apparently going of its way to not pay its mercenaries.

The Emperor hired a 7k merc stack which appeared in his capital

That merc stack never left the Kingdom of Germany while the Holy Roman army of 40k was running around in North Africa

The leader of the White Company later formed a custom kingdom which deleted Germany and left a big gaping hole inside the de-jure HRE

You know how when you're setting up a Random World, if you keep hitting the Culture button you'll eventually come across Animal Kingdoms, dividing the world up into various human and animal cultures?

Well, turns out that works for Shattered World just as well. Which is good news for me, because I wanted to play with Animal Kingdoms, except that I like playing in a Shattered World much more than I do a Random one.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Thanks to the power of Steam, I may have just bought myself CK2 and all the non-faction DLCs.

Darklyre wrote: »
    Thanks to the power of Steam, I may have just bought myself CK2 and all the non-faction DLCs.

Just remember, you don't have to conquer the world and you don't have to be the one in charge.

I mean, you can, if you want to. But you don't have to.

So I'm starting a game as Hordaland.

First observation: tribal retinues are hilariously OP.

Second observation: Oh dear God I need to figure out how this whole demesne and inheritance thing works or everything's gonna explode.

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    So, I'm the Ruler of the Roman Empire and was living life on the financial edge. Then I had an event where someone was accused of embezzling funds. I demanded he repay what he stole...which turned out to be 22k+ gold! :eek: :D I guess that's one way to knock out that achievement.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Question: will picking Equality trait during reforming norse pagans allow female characters to take positions in the Council, or does it only allow to have female rulers?

Asthariel wrote: »
    Question: will picking Equality trait during reforming norse pagans allow female characters to take positions in the Council, or does it only allow to have female rulers?

Should allow you to have female Councillors as well, yeah.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

Both IIRC, it basically sets Status of Women to Full.

steam_sig.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I have a project I'm planning on doing, not sure how feesible it actually is, but this is what I call "the plan"

It's no secret that there are a great many negative traits ascribed to the jews; they're sneaky, greedy and duplicitous. And while these are terrible stereotypes to ascribe to an entire culture, it has inspired me to attempt a project I call "the sneaky jews".

Step 1: establish myself as a jewish patrician in venice. This will give me some early game protection and let me spread my influence everywhere my trade posts can touch.
    Step 2: Falsely convert to catholithism.
    Step 3: Establish a secret sect and begin converting others to my cause.
    step 4: build up a power base of cash and troops.
    Step 5: entrench my family as the doge.
    Step 6: Join in on the crusade, leading a host of troops and mercenaries I've been building up for a century or so.
    Step 7: become king of jerusalem.
    Step 8: Come out of the closet as a Jew.

The biggest question I have is: how feesible is this? Like, I'm not sure how long relgious cults last and how easy it is to bring my kids into one.

Thoughts and comments?

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    religious cults once they reach sufficient size propagate extremely rapidly. It should entirely possible. Like my main issue is that it is in fact much too easy to turn even massive empires using them, so I normally turn them off. Starting as the slavic duke of pomerania I managed to turn the HRE slavic in like two generations.

I think you'll probably have two big issues with your plan.
    1. If you don't expand a lot and I mean a lot before you become King of Jerusalem and publicly switch to Jewish then you will be destroyed by your muslim and christian neighbors. You will neighbor the HRE, the Fatimids with the Mamlukes, the ERE, the juggernaut that the Seljuks usually become... you will need to be strong enough to potentially fight off multiple huge empires at once. Not to mention you will be a prime target for Crusades.
    2. If you do expand a ton and then publicly switch to jewish you will probably end up with a huge secret christian cult that you will have a really hard time bopping out of existence for the same reasons you were able to easily expand a jewish cult. Hunting apostates is just not efficient enough to actually rid realms of secret societies once they reach a certain size, as members of the cult will also seek to expand cult membership.

Gundi wrote: »
    religious cults once they reach sufficient size propagate extremely rapidly. It should entirely possible. Like my main issue is that it is in fact much too easy to turn even massive empires using them, so I normally turn them off. Starting as the slavic duke of pomerania I managed to turn the HRE slavic in like two generations.

I think you'll probably have two big issues with your plan.
    1. If you don't expand a lot and I mean a lot before you become King of Jerusalem and publicly switch to Jewish then you will be destroyed by your muslim and christian neighbors. You will neighbor the HRE, the Fatimids with the Mamlukes, the ERE, the juggernaut that the Seljuks usually become... you will need to be strong enough to potentially fight off multiple huge empires at once. Not to mention you will be a prime target for Crusades.
    2. If you do expand a ton and then publicly switch to jewish you will probably end up with a huge secret christian cult that you will have a really hard time bopping out of existence for the same reasons you were able to easily expand a jewish cult. Hunting apostates is just not efficient enough to actually rid realms of secret societies once they reach a certain size, as members of the cult will also seek to expand cult membership.

They nerfed the ability of secret cults to actually spread when there isn't a player in them.

But yeah, anyone you force to convert will more likely than not keep practicing their old religion in secret. The smart thing to do might be to just use religious revoke and replaced them with courtiers.

Also, Jewish NPCs do not try to convert their demesne or vassals unless they are zealous, so you are going to be doing the bulk of coverting once you go public

steam_sig.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I have a project I'm planning on doing, not sure how feesible it actually is, but this is what I call "the plan"

It's no secret that there are a great many negative traits ascribed to the jews; they're sneaky, greedy and duplicitous. And while these are terrible stereotypes to ascribe to an entire culture, it has inspired me to attempt a project I call "the sneaky jews".

Step 1: establish myself as a jewish patrician in venice. This will give me some early game protection and let me spread my influence everywhere my trade posts can touch.
    Step 2: Falsely convert to catholithism.
    Step 3: Establish a secret sect and begin converting others to my cause.
    step 4: build up a power base of cash and troops.
    Step 5: entrench my family as the doge.
    Step 6: Join in on the crusade, leading a host of troops and mercenaries I've been building up for a century or so.
    Step 7: become king of jerusalem.
    Step 8: Come out of the closet as a Jew.

The biggest question I have is: how feesible is this? Like, I'm not sure how long relgious cults last and how easy it is to bring my kids into one.

Thoughts and comments?

All of this is unnecessary since the holder of Jerusalem can secretly convert to and come out as any of the religions that have Jerusalem as a holy site.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    For Cheapskates like me, Holy Fury is on sale (as well as the other dlc, I assume) as part of the lunar festival. Pretty sure it's the first time it's been on sale since it came out.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    For Cheapskates like me, Holy Fury is on sale (as well as the other dlc, I assume) as part of the lunar festival. Pretty sure it's the first time it's been on sale since it came out.

Yep, the sale pushed me into getting Jade Dragon. I might get Sons of Abraham later on.

Darklyre wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Yep, the sale pushed me into getting Jade Dragon. I might get Sons of Abraham later on.

You really should get SoA, holy orders for nearly all Faith's, papal election mechanics that are always fun to play with...
    And the Omen as event chain

steam_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    The only time that spoiler event ever happened to me, was when I named my genius daughter after my sister in law.

Coincidence?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Most every time that even procs it ends up ending my game through shenanigans

One time it ended up with me as the Roman Emperor, that was cool.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Holy Fury is very good

KetBra wrote: »
    Most every time that even procs it ends up ending my game through shenanigans

One time it ended up with me as the Roman Emperor, that was cool.

When that event fires for me, more often than not, they die before they can inherit. Which is also usually what happens when I have a potential Genius heir (although in that case they normally either die or go insane).

Man it's nice when your character gets the moniker "legendary" before becoming immortal, the head of a warrior band, an emperor, and becomes famed for slaying a bear in 1v1 combat.

Crusader Kings 2 is going to get more like Civilization by allowing you to build Wonders

I am all for having more to do in peacetime, so this is good news to me.

castle built of babies

the baby castle wonder.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    (not my pic)

otFtAnw.jpg

... one can only imagine how that attempt went down / was discovered.

Commander Zoom on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (I also suspect this is what happens when you don't give your spymaster enough to do, and they start getting bored...)

the most dangerous game is man, and if you're the most the most dangerous man...

edited March 2019
    This has been a fun game:
    BF12602B66606388F5EF4F8331FB6485AB5F4726
    I started as the Normans in southern Italy. They soon warred and conquered all of the island of sicily, where they gradually integrated into the local culture. They established a Queen in Jerusalem in the first Crusade, although it soon fell again to the Fatimids. They spent most of the intervening years launching raids in northern Africa and the levant, and strengthening their hold on southern italy. Then came the second crusade, which derailed into Byzantium via the machinations of Venice. Venice's claimant died, so again a dynasty member was placed on the new pretender empire. Which I switched to because man playing as a tiny catholic empire divided between multicultured vassals and bordered by bunches of petty orthodox realms and the enormous and frightening Seljuks seemed fun.

The late Hautvillian empress and her son have managed to more than double the size of their pretender empire-it started only with the dejure borders of the Kingdom of Thrace-but the Seljuks have likewise devoured some of the Byzantine successor states. The kingdom of Epirus is the only large orthodox state which has managed to survive the Second Crusade, although I have plans to make them a tributary. In other news a third crusade was called for Jerusalem, and once again the Kings of Sicily have put a king in the levant. This time, though, the eastern Hautvellians then offered them some support so their position became secure from the Fatimids. Time will tell if the Seljuks with turn their eyes towards them. Back in Sicily the AI has gone hogwild at expanding into north african coast. (I don't like messy borders or cheesily expanding into north africa)

My ultimate goal is to become Cathar and "Crush the Pentarchy" but that'll have to wait awhile. Switching to the Latin Empire severely weakened me but it was too fun an opportunity to pass up. I won't be comfortable switching to Cathar till at least pushing the Seljuks out of Anatolia.

Gundi on
    edited March 2019
    So this is a different game, started by seeing the achievement "White Hun". Got me curious what that whole achievement was about so I started looking it up. Apparently it's referring to a group of peoples that may have been related to, or maybe not, to the Hephthalites of Sassanid Persia fame. Unfortunately the details seem to have been lost to time but they were a group of presumably either iranian or turkish origin who spread into northern india at approximately the same time as the Hephthalites starting getting mentions in Persian history, hence the presumption they might have been related or perhaps even the same people. They destabilized the local power dynamics and almost destroyed the Gupta empire before ultimately being defeated by the Gupta. (it was a phyrric victory however, as they had already weakened the empire to the point where it began to lose cohesion)

So anyway, the achievement requires you to start as the Count of Mohadsakhava, a saka hindu non-independent one county count on the border of the hindu Rajput kingdom and the Jain Rajs of Gujarat. The goal is to be independent, have at least a king tier title, and completely control the dejure territory of the following kingdoms:
    Rajput, Delhi, Punjab, Kashmir, Transoxania, and Khotan.

Parts of two of those kingdoms start under the tributary of the Abbasids, parts of Khotan are under the Western Protectorate of the Chinese, and virtually all of the Kashmir starts under the Tibetan Empire. So woof that'd be a tall order even if we started as a king! But well, where there's a will (and lots of raiding) there might be a way.
    7A1247DA4C669521A357928896BC83A5AACD7D16
    So originally I really wanted to try and keep my Saka culture because, well, it's pretty rare so I thought it'd be neat. I forgot, however, that the subjugation CB that any Indian ruler basically has to rely on to expand only works on people of dharmic religions in your culture group. So I had to convert. Lots of annoying things happened that delayed my ability to expand (like my liege kept getting involved in wars with realms I wanted to attack or making them tributes) and when I did finally start to expand with my second character I ended up losing almost all the territory I gained (in punjab) to the Taid dynasty (with their overlord Abbasid's help) to the north. Finally I got an opportunity with my original character's grandson to subjugate a kingdom.

Unfortunately, thanks to aforementioned annoying shenanigans I was a Maharaja with one county to my name and having used up most of funds thanks to the mercenaries I used to take the kingdom in the first place. And then the Abbasid's tributary Sindh sultunate attacked. And they brought in the Abbasids. But... thanks to the fact that I am not an AI and thus no how how to gather all the troops of the allies who came to defend the faith, I managed to win. Also luckily the abbasids were distracted with other wars so they only came by once or twice. With all that money I managed to restructure my kingdoms internal politics and acquire new land so my position was less... terribad. And then the Taids (the Abbasid's other much larger eastern tributary) attacked. And they brought in the Abbasids. And the abbasids weren't distracted this time. Super luckily I captured the head Taid himself. And with that I became loaded and am in my current pretty okay position. But phew oh geez oh god.

Oh and one last annoying thing is that even if you convert to a culture that puts your dynasty as realm name that actually only applies if you start as a culture that has that feature. So sadly I can't get a "Hunas" kingdom or get that stylish minimalist CoA on the map. Ah well.

Gundi on
    edited March 2019
    Sorry to hog the thread but if nobody else is posting... I just got super lucky in the above game. For context, while the Abbasids had eventually lost all of their tributaries they'd still been doing very well, only losing Syria to the Shia Caliphate event and succesfully subjugating the Umayyads, who controlled all of Hispania, Morocco, and Aquitaine. They had gotten up to 50,000 troops and I was starting to wonder what I would really do to challenge them if they came after me. And then
    300237228487CC6126395B5E740CB139DE3885B9
    F55886F54CC069A9ED270445A0E35EB35C43B492
    All that green, and blue, and brown, and yellow that you see in those images? Used to be Abbasids. I mean I know the Seljuks are still coming but still that's a big load off.

Gundi on
    The Great Works update is coming April 2nd.

Also, it'll be free. So on the one hand, I suppose I can't expect much. On the other hand, free stuff is still free stuff.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I only have 4 achievements left to do, the 3 full playthrough achievements and the buggy pushback the Aztecs one. Will probably get around to finishing them with the next update.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    I only have 4 achievements left to do, the 3 full playthrough achievements and the buggy pushback the Aztecs one. Will probably get around to finishing them with the next update.

I've got the 3 full playthrough achievements. They're easy enough. They just require patience.

Then I look at something like Legacy of the Indo-Norse (Start as a Norse Character, hold a Kingdom in India as your primary title. Your capital must also be located in India and converted to Norse) and I wouldn't even know where to begin.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I've got the 3 full playthrough achievements. They're easy enough. They just require patience.

Then I look at something like Legacy of the Indo-Norse (Start as a Norse Character, hold a Kingdom in India as your primary title. Your capital must also be located in India and converted to Norse) and I wouldn't even know where to begin.

You begin by selecting a Norse character at game start :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've got very few achievements because I rarely play ironman, mostly because I have my own mod of various tweaks that I much prefer to play with. The good thing is occasionally I will feel like getting an achievement, so it's another excuse to start a new game and maybe do a play style I haven't tried before.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Gundi wrote: »
    So this is a different game, started by seeing the achievement "White Hun". Got me curious what that whole achievement was about so I started looking it up. Apparently it's referring to a group of peoples that may have been related to, or maybe not, to the Hephthalites of Sassanid Persia fame. Unfortunately the details seem to have been lost to time but they were a group of presumably either iranian or turkish origin who spread into northern india at approximately the same time as the Hephthalites starting getting mentions in Persian history, hence the presumption they might have been related or perhaps even the same people. They destabilized the local power dynamics and almost destroyed the Gupta empire before ultimately being defeated by the Gupta. (it was a phyrric victory however, as they had already weakened the empire to the point where it began to lose cohesion)

So anyway, the achievement requires you to start as the Count of Mohadsakhava, a saka hindu non-independent one county count on the border of the hindu Rajput kingdom and the Jain Rajs of Gujarat. The goal is to be independent, have at least a king tier title, and completely control the dejure territory of the following kingdoms:
    Rajput, Delhi, Punjab, Kashmir, Transoxania, and Khotan.

Parts of two of those kingdoms start under the tributary of the Abbasids, parts of Khotan are under the Western Protectorate of the Chinese, and virtually all of the Kashmir starts under the Tibetan Empire. So woof that'd be a tall order even if we started as a king! But well, where there's a will (and lots of raiding) there might be a way.
    7A1247DA4C669521A357928896BC83A5AACD7D16
    So originally I really wanted to try and keep my Saka culture because, well, it's pretty rare so I thought it'd be neat. I forgot, however, that the subjugation CB that any Indian ruler basically has to rely on to expand only works on people of dharmic religions in your culture group. So I had to convert. Lots of annoying things happened that delayed my ability to expand (like my liege kept getting involved in wars with realms I wanted to attack or making them tributes) and when I did finally start to expand with my second character I ended up losing almost all the territory I gained (in punjab) to the Taid dynasty (with their overlord Abbasid's help) to the north. Finally I got an opportunity with my original character's grandson to subjugate a kingdom.

Unfortunately, thanks to aforementioned annoying shenanigans I was a Maharaja with one county to my name and having used up most of funds thanks to the mercenaries I used to take the kingdom in the first place. And then the Abbasid's tributary Sindh sultunate attacked. And they brought in the Abbasids. But... thanks to the fact that I am not an AI and thus no how how to gather all the troops of the allies who came to defend the faith, I managed to win. Also luckily the abbasids were distracted with other wars so they only came by once or twice. With all that money I managed to restructure my kingdoms internal politics and acquire new land so my position was less... terribad. And then the Taids (the Abbasid's other much larger eastern tributary) attacked. And they brought in the Abbasids. And the abbasids weren't distracted this time. Super luckily I captured the head Taid himself. And with that I became loaded and am in my current pretty okay position. But phew oh geez oh god.

Oh and one last annoying thing is that even if you convert to a culture that puts your dynasty as realm name that actually only applies if you start as a culture that has that feature. So sadly I can't get a "Hunas" kingdom or get that stylish minimalist CoA on the map. Ah well.

Oooh I'll have to post my unfinished Saka run. I'm like, one random Central Asian province away from completing the achievement, but because I turned on defensive pacts it's incredibly annoying to finish it. I managed to keep my Saka culture but I think I got a bit luckier cause Ayodhya conquered a good chunk of India before promptly collapsing, allowing me to fill a void.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited March 2019

From what I understand (and I've never succeeded in it either) the popular choice is Ivar the Boneless in the Old Gods start. Take your event army and snipe someone in Italy, then snipe the Suez region before the Abbasids inevitably reconquer Egypt so you have access to the Indian Ocean. Then take over the island where the Nestorian guy always is, and that should be close enough for you to do a Prepared Invasion of someone in India. The guy in Brittany is also another choice, who is closer, but Ivar has that event army and is Tribal, the later helping with getting the capital to be Norse culture (not to mention it can be stupidly powerful with Holy Fury.)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png