As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My email address is not your email address

VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
edited January 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
I have had a small, on-going issue for a couple years now where someone would enter my email address instead of their email address. My gmail account is a very intentional arrangement of 6 characters using 2 letters of the alphabet, so it's not impossible for someone to enter it as a "fake" address, but I will occasionally get emails of various levels of importance that are intended for someone else. A non-exhaustive, off the top of my head list of emails I have been mistakenly sent are:
  1. Bills and event information from child care facilities in New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa. All different for people/families as far as I can tell
  2. Tax bills for a company out of Myanmar
  3. Shipping information intended for a company in India
  4. Information about tracked cars from a small company in Tanzania
  5. Leasing information for someone in Florida
  6. Random family photos from stranger's grandparents

Edit: Oops, didn't mean to hit post. Give me a second to finish this...

Sometimes I will email the place back and sometimes I'll just ignore it, but the reason I'm posting this is because I just spent 15 minutes with customer service for someone else's mortgage because they switched their email on the mortgage to my gmail address. I asked them to ask her to stop doing this as it wasn't the first time this person has accidentally used my email, so hopefully they do that, but is there anything more I can do to stop this from happening in the future or am I doomed to this happening because of the proliferation of *random letter*mail email addresses?

Thinking about it now, I probably wouldn't have actually posted this had I not hit the post button on accident, but it's done and I don't want to just delete everything.

Veevee on

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Man, I don't know how you would keep it from happening. On my main email address, there is someone with a very similarly spelled name to mine, but I guessed almost immediately what the real spelling was and have forwarded him important emails from time to time. Other than doing that, who knows, man, who knows.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Can you set up a gmail rule filtering messages that contain that person's name, such that they are forwarded to the person's actual email address with a message and auto-archived

sig.gif
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Can you set up a gmail rule filtering messages that contain that person's name, such that they are forwarded to the person's actual email address with a message and auto-archived

I don't actually have any contact information for this person other than their rather common first/lastname combo. It's why I asked the mortgage company to pass along my message.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Since these are different people, I don't think there's a good way to stop this. You have an entire planet of people who could enter in your email address, and you've picked a common-enough email that some of them will.

So, change your email address. It's a bit of a pain to do, but it's the only way I see to fix the problem.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Since these are different people, I don't think there's a good way to stop this. You have an entire planet of people who could enter in your email address, and you've picked a common-enough email that some of them will.

So, change your email address. It's a bit of a pain to do, but it's the only way I see to fix the problem.

Or just enjoy the window into other peoples' souls that you have and mark all of those emails as spam after you read them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This happens to me all the time. If the email comes from a person (eg. real estate agent, whatever) I usually write back and ask them to alert their friend/client/sorority sister/whatever to the problem. If it's an automated account from a website or similar, I mark it as spam and move on.

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Back when people had listed phone numbers in white pages, my families phone number was right underneath the biggest grocery store in town.

We would get about 100 or so calls every Christmas Day asking if we were open.

Guess what we did?

"Yup, come right on down!" (no we did not actually do this)

I think this went on for a decade before my dad got so frustrated he purposefully purchased a new number that would be placed between ours and the grocery stores in the white pages and set that number up to autoforward to the grocery store number. Think about doing that in the early 90s and how expensive and much of a hassle that would be.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I have a long-held personal e-mail that gets mis-typed and purposefully used by spammers/scammers a lot. There's not a good way to stop it from happening, and it's super annoying when somebody sets up an account on a website that doesn't require e-mail verification. No, I don't want your Comcast bills or your car's service notifications, random internet person. I definitely didn't want those "classified" UK government spreadsheets. I even got somebody's flight confirmation information once, along with a crap-ton of their personal data. A lot of people with names similar to mine (and one local government in the UK) are very lucky that I'm not an identity thief.

Sometimes I get annoyed enough that I send a nastygram to a large company that doesn't require e-mail verification and should know better. Usually I just make excessive use of Gmail filtering and "report spam."

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's really nothing you can do. Either try and locate the person somehow, or accept that it's going to suck for them a bit and filter or delete.

Once for about six months, someone had given my phone number to Walgreens to alert them about prescription refills! Finally, the actual pharmacist called and I was able to tell them about the problem....

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shit I've been getting bills and stuff for roughly 12 years from someone who thinks my email address I've had for 15 years belongs to them.

I just set up a filter to delete when it picks up their name in the message.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My primary email address is firstname.lastname@gmail.com and has been for many years ... It happens that there is someone with the same name as me in Florida, about whom I now know a great deal thanks to all the emails I get for hotel booking confirmations, rental cars, airline tickets, and even their eTrade account. That last one was particularly fun because I tried for months to get eTrade to stop sending me confidential account information for someone else and they didn't seem inclined to care. Oh, I was once even able to log in to that person's Geico account and delete the email address associated with it and send a message to Geico to "please call me about my account" so presumably they got a call from Geico and neither side knew why... but hopefully they got it sorted out. :lol:

Err. I don't actually have a solution. I just wanted to share. >.>

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Yeah. You can't stop people from writing whatever in the "email" field.

You can use filters to help, but that will be imperfect.

I would probably set up a new account, then have all the emails from the old account forward to the new one. You can send "from" either account as needed, but slowly move everything to the new account.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My primary email address is firstname.lastname@gmail.com and has been for many years ... It happens that there is someone with the same name as me in Florida, about whom I now know a great deal thanks to all the emails I get for hotel booking confirmations, rental cars, airline tickets, and even their eTrade account. That last one was particularly fun because I tried for months to get eTrade to stop sending me confidential account information for someone else and they didn't seem inclined to care. Oh, I was once even able to log in to that person's Geico account and delete the email address associated with it and send a message to Geico to "please call me about my account" so presumably they got a call from Geico and neither side knew why... but hopefully they got it sorted out. :lol:

I am pretty close to the same as this, except the person is fairly close to me, about 15 miles out of town. What makes it odd is that I have an unusual last name, and we have different first names but use the same shortened version. Fortunately he seems to have just used it at the hardware store, so I just have to put up with emailed receipts every so often.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Same thing here. Drake Chambers is my fictional pseudonym that I made up in high school. For the last ten years or so I've gotten regular emails for a real Drake Chambers, including personal emails from college friends, state tax agency communications, and group emails to him and his classmates in professional trade school.

Depending, sometimes I reply and correct them. Sometimes I feel a little bad for claiming this guy's name before he arrived at the Internet, as I assumed he was forced to choose some variation of his name and people are mistakenly missing the variation and sending it to me instead.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    This problem will only get worse over time. For everyone.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Little known fact: Gmail ignores periods in email names. So this is likely what is happening. For instance, I am aware of at least 2 people with names close to my online handle. My formal and professional emails are unique enough that I don't have that problem, but this one? heh.

There's been a couple where I've wondered how the person hasn't noticed there is something wrong. A couple cruises here and there, travel info, that kind of thing. What's really annoying me though is the last few months. The New York Transit Authority just set up a new system for EZ Pass auto-enrollment and such, and required emails. Well, my email got used accidentally, so now I get to see just how much someone is spending on their commute. Took me a bit to figure out what is going on too, because I have an Illinois EZ Pass account too. I have tried twice to contact the Transit Authority about the issue, but they require you to call in about any kind of issues if you can't sign in, and the wait time was over 45 minutes each time.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm just really happy that I got internet-wise quickly enough that my "professional" email is just my first name, last name @ email company+TLD

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Cauld wrote: »
    This problem will only get worse over time. For everyone.

This is why I recommend people to register their own domain.

• Options
    Just this afternoon I got an email from another person with my last name, discussing funeral arrangements for their uncle and how they fear that their dad is sliding into dementia.

That one I replied to...

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Just this afternoon I got an email from another person with my last name, discussing funeral arrangements for their uncle and how they fear that their dad is sliding into dementia.

That one I replied to...

:bro:

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've been dealing with two versions of this for years.

A movie director in the US has the same name as me, with one letter difference in spelling in their email address, and I was getting a bunch of their production emails. I initially forwarded them on, but it got so frequent that I started replying and telling people to fix their email lists. The director asked to buy my email, but I've had this account since 2001 or 2002 so no. Anyway, after probably four or five years, they stopped.

But now I get that firstname.lastname crap. I tried to tell them what was happening but got ignored, so I just mark them as spam now. Banking emails, business stuff, whatever.

But it will literally never end and that's just part of using a monolithic service like gmail.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Somebody with a similar name to me works in film or tv so I get emails from location scouts with lots of nice high res photos of interesting locations.

I quite like it

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    My main work account is firstnamelastname@company.com. I made a gmail account for testing email stuff, firstnamelastnamecompany@gmail.com.

And after about the twentieth time I accidentally typed in firstnamelastname@gmail.com, I sent an email to that person to say "hey, I'm really sorry about all those emails you've been getting that make no sense, they're from me and here's why". I think I've retrained my fingers by this point.

(they were very nice about it, too)

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I had this happen to me for ages. I have a simple gmail account name that someone has been mistyping for years now.

they finally got in touch with me after I mistakenly got a Western Union Transfer for like $1000 bucks in my mailbox by accident. Was fun getting yelled at by the people who's spam I've been getting for years.

• Options
    Why would they yell at you and not Western Union?

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Because WU didn’t do anything wrong. The person put the wrong email. That’s entirely their fault.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Because WU didn’t do anything wrong. The person put the wrong email. That’s entirely their fault.

Well, yes, but clearly this is the kind of person that likes to blame others, but Nexus is an uninvolved third party. This is like calling the wrong number and yelling at the person who answered the phone.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »

Well, yes, but clearly this is the kind of person that likes to blame others, but Nexus is an uninvolved third party. This is like calling the wrong number and yelling at the person who answered the phone.

That happens to me all the time. Our 800 number at work is 1 digit off the 800 number for a major call center for a range of store credit cards, so naturally we get wrong number calls constantly. I can't count how often I've been yelled at because I can't help them with their Victoria's Secret bill after clearly answering the phone with an obviously unrelated business name ... or, my favorite, asked "Well why are YOU answering THEIR phone then?"

People are dumb.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Oh man

So, you saw the thing about the guys funeral upthread.

Today I learned that the venue for Fancy Dinner has been emailing them about our party because wrong email....

:o:(

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    At least with emails you can contact the other party most of the time. For awhile someone or some company had my cell # on their fax machine list so every night at like 2 in the morning I would get a call from it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have an uncommon first name and a very rare last name. As far as I know, I am the only person on Earth with my name; and I'm more grateful for that with every passing year.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    I have an uncommon first name and a very rare last name. As far as I know, I am the only person on Earth with my name; and I'm more grateful for that with every passing year.

That's what I once thought. In 45 years, I've never met or heard of anyone outside my immediate family with my last name. I was shocked to discover that there was another me... My first reaction was that it had to be identity theft.

... then I remembered no one would want to steal my identity.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Downside: you have no Google shield.

I'm pretty much ungoogle-able because there are a couple B list folks in various public industries with my first/last name combo.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

That's what I once thought. In 45 years, I've never met or heard of anyone outside my immediate family with my last name. I was shocked to discover that there was another me... My first reaction was that it had to be identity theft.

... then I remembered no one would want to steal my identity.

Yeah if someone managed to hack their way into my bank account they could like.. pay off my credit card and car loan and not a lot else.

I realize that's not the only thing to worry about, but I'm not exactly sitting on a large nest egg.

also that's not really email-related I guess.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    I've been having this issue for a good decade now because I'm the eldest person with my firstname.lastname@gmail.com; younger versions of *myname* either just assume that my address is theirs and use it to sign up for accounts (I will usually reset the password on them and lock them out) and may even from time to time get a password reset email. There are some who decided to use a middle initial and then don't type it, or they don't make a big enough deal about it to other people who don't type it and I get all sorts of emails because of that; including marathon registration, access to church camp dropboxes, pet hospital reminders, employment docs, gym membership contracts, etc. These are all different people with the same name as me and my first name is uncommon, let alone my last name being as rare as it is. When it's a major information leak, I try to alert folks. But otherwise don't bother with it anymore, unless I'm particularly annoyed and feel like enacting some mischief.

GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    My email doppleganger is an elderly guy in Australia whose address is one letter off. He just went on a sailing trip and shared the Dropbox of pics with me, looked like a good time.

My advice for the annoying recurrent ones is to use the link to reset their passwords and change as many info fields as possible to embarrassing/juvenile things, so that they encounter it when they go to reset it.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Little known fact: Gmail ignores periods in email names. So this is likely what is happening. For instance, I am aware of at least 2 people with names close to my online handle. My formal and professional emails are unique enough that I don't have that problem, but this one? heh.

This is true, BUT!

Gmail also let's you filter by email address, which does take periods into account so you can use this to your advantage. When you sign up for crappy junk you don't want to get emailed about, you can add a random period in your name, and then filter out all emails to w.hatevername@gmail.com