As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Stardew Valley... Battle Royale!?
    https://youtu.be/0shu9BYwJ1s

Also, I noticed this game mentioned in the recent FNG poll:

Lethal League
    Loading...?
    In order the key to work you must change the X for the following number:
    THREE

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Fuck exclusives forever.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Good Lord. Fuck Epic.

Nah, fuck Valve for being so complacent that they're letting Epic make off with the crown jewels with nary a struggle. There's no way Valve wouldn't be able to at least make a competitive bid for The Division 2 to be on both platforms.

Crown Jewel? I really see The Division series as more of a Cubic Zirconia frankly...

It adapted to the PC a lot better than Destiny did minus the pvp content that got hit with cheaters hard early on. Granted the Destiny 2 PC port didn't exactly set a high bar.

The Survival game type from the DLC in The Division remains some of the most fun and tense gaming experiences I've had. It took a while for Massive to figure out how much they could play with the formula based on what they had instead of just trying to ape Destiny but it paid off really well eventually.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Speaking of Epic vs Valve, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney enters the Bloomberg billionaires' index for the first time, nearly $3bn ahead of Gabe Newell.

In case you were wondering just how big Fortnite is.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fortnite is the largest, most successful game to have ever existed, which is hilarious because it came about as a spin-off from Epic's actual project at the time.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Like, the launcher is free. It's not like consoles where it's a significant investment, if you can use Steam you can use the Epic launcher. It's not anti-consumer.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Stardew Valley... Battle Royale!?
    https://youtu.be/0shu9BYwJ1s

Also, I noticed this game mentioned in the recent FNG poll:

Lethal League
    Loading...?
    In order the key to work you must change the X for the following number:
    THREE

Thanks HiT! Will both be fun to check out and play if it comes up for FNG!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Like, the launcher is free. It's not like consoles where it's a significant investment, if you can use Steam you can use the Epic launcher. It's not anti-consumer.

It is, however, fragmenting the marketplace while not providing the user with any benefits over existing storefronts. If competition leads to improvements, good. If not, the consumer is not well served.

Hence: Content exclusives suck.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Eliminating consumer choice is anti-consumer.

Also, their privacy policy may violate the GDPR.

Also, their launcher lacks a bunch of basic features available on competing platforms.

Also, their account system leaves much to be desired and has a big hacking problem.

• Options

I've heard an awful lot about Epic being bad at stuff like account management and security, though. I don't know personally since I won't touch Fortnite with a 10 foot pole, but the reports are out there.

Also, Epic's approach of no reviews, no forums, no community at all... just sucks.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like nobody had a single positive thing to say about Steams discussion area until the Epic Store became a thing.

Like two months ago, I feel like the prevailing opinion was to set them on fire and never look back..

• Options
    I feel like nobody had a single positive thing to say about Steams discussion area until the Epic Store became a thing.

Like two months ago, I feel like the prevailing opinion was to set them on fire and never look back..

I haven't said anything about them one way or the other, but they are the first place I go when a game isn't working right.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Valid. However, i think part of that was people taking it for granted. They may have wanted to burn it down, but always with the implicit notion of building something out of its ashes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

-But replace "paradise" with "features for customers."

Sure they aren't always top shelf and could do better, but outright removing them doesn't do us any favors.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

It is, however, fragmenting the marketplace while not providing the user with any benefits over existing storefronts. If competition leads to improvements, good. If not, the consumer is not well served.

Hence: Content exclusives suck.

The big benefit so far IMO is Epic helping fund development for a lot of indie projects that might otherwise be on precarious footing. That's a pretty big deal as it can mean a more polished product or even the product finishing period. A number of these probably would have been finished anyway and find success due to the developers having an established fanbase by now but it's not a small thing to get financial support during development even if it's not something immediately visible to the consumer.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I... don't think ubisoft needs financial help with developing The Division 2.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Captalism got you down when it comes to gaming platforms? I have the solution! Clearly we need a communist gaming platform where everyone gets all the games for free. But they're filled with spyware and stealth bitcoin mining. And if you have anything negative to say on the communist community gaming forums you get arrested.

A true gaming utopia!*

* Note: Utopia may be dystopia.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Yeah, there's something else that's probably going on for that one. I'm guessing Ubi might be questioning the value of continuing to support uPlay and looking at transitioning some of its functionality on PC or something and this could be a test to see how well their titles do hooking into another service.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Just a hunch, but I don't think that's what Steel Angel was referring to when taking about funding indies.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I haven't said anything about them one way or the other, but they are the first place I go when a game isn't working right.

Yeah, I regularly go to the Steam forums if there's a bug or if I'm stuck on a puzzle or fight or if I'm trying to figure out if an Early Access game is still being supported or if I want to try to get a sense of how long a game is and it hasn't built up critical mass in HLTB yet. And I've said so before here.

But it's not a teeth-knashing, heated, memorable argument so I can see why it would be overshadowed in the memory by people with stronger positions.

"What was iolo talking about?"

"Dunno.
    Probably BATTLETECH again..."

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Wow, I know I don’t post in here much, but holy crap the Return of the Obra Dinn is bonkers good. So many “ah ha!” moments. This has got to be the best dectective style game I have ever played. The story is great, takes some surprising twists and leaves just enough to interpretation to really add a solid air of mystery. It was legitimately difficult to figure out all 60 souls and their fates. Even if you are not a huge puzzle or adventure game fan, if you have even briefly considered Obra Dinn GET IT. I need people talking about this game!

You have inspired me and I shall play this game.

@LutExIV

Um, okay. This game is fantastic.

I didn't really know what to expect. I figured the art style looked interesting, and the setting is unique and appealing, and the detective style angle hooked me.

I've just played through the first "sequence" and my jaw has been hanging open for most of it. It has been a long time since I've been so immediately enchanted with a game.

Well done, sir.

Yes! And it just gets better from here! There are genuine character arcs and nuisance, and great nuggets of detail for those willing to look.

Also, something I haven’t seen mentioned a lot of places but should be: the sound design is fantastic. Exceptional voice acting, environmental effects, and the music is about as perfect as it can get. I’m glad more people are enjoying this game.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    One of the best features for me on Steam are the community Steam Guides. I think they're one of the best features on Steam, though of course that's more the effort of Steam gamers than Valve specifically, but they do offer that feature. With Steam overlay it's easy to access them in-game. I'm sure other platforms eventually will catch up and their own communities will start producing Guides, but that's always been something I feel like Valve has done right

• Options
    I want to get it for my mom, but I am concerned about the visuals.

I mean, yes there are some tiddies, but they're pretty pixelated. They also make sense in context.

I don't mean it in that way. She has trouble sometimes with nausea/vertigo when playing games, and I don't think the game's visual style will sit well with her.

I’d encourage her to try. The visuals have a surprising amount of detail, while still being simple enough to have your mind fill in some of the blanks. It ran smooth on my system (although that’s not surprising) and I would think it would run smoothly on most so that should help with nausea; of course you know better than us whether it’s right for your Mom but I would go for it. This experience is worth taking a chance on.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    One of the best features for me on Steam are the community Steam Guides. I think they're one of the best features on Steam, though of course that's more the effort of Steam gamers than Valve specifically, but they do offer that feature. With Steam overlay it's easy to access them in-game. I'm sure other platforms eventually will catch up and their own communities will start producing Guides, but that's always been something I feel like Valve has done right

I do like the guides feature! I even made one for a game that barely anyone played.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Yeah, there's something else that's probably going on for that one. I'm guessing Ubi might be questioning the value of continuing to support uPlay and looking at transitioning some of its functionality on PC or something and this could be a test to see how well their titles do hooking into another service.

And not placing it on the current largest online distributor.

• Options

Honestly I would guess it’s more black and white with that. Ubi is notorious for assinine marketing schemes (see the many ties like the custom Alexa device). I would bet the Epic backed a dump truck of cash to the door so Ubi was like “Cool! This will go great with our micro transactions!”

• Options
    I should have mentioned that taming hyenas or crocodiles (and probably most other carnivores) in Conan Exiles can be achieved by feeding them a steady diet of human flesh.

At least now I have a use for my table scraps...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Have y'all ever seen a long-range gift-a-pult? Well wait no more!

I'm going to gift the first person to post on page 75!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
    heenato wrote: »
    They'll never see it coming

Fools! You were warned!

Accept your friend request fate @HiT BiT!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yikes. I just dodged that bullet. Thanks Hit Bit!

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

>.>

Next time Pixie. NEXT TIME!

5f8ye7so7995.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

>.>

5f8ye7so7995.jpg

q80j5jj3xppb.gif

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

>.>

5f8ye7so7995.jpg

q80j5jj3xppb.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miYm0FM7UF8

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Highly doubt they’re going to ditch uPlay. Their entire library, achievement, reward and microtransaction system is embedded in it as well as their own DRM (Denuvo). Even if you buy a game on Steam, Steam is merely a launcher that opens uPlay. Sometimes it has its own Steam achievements and you get steam cards, your steam overlay and such, but the games are fully activated and managed by uPlay, and even after buying on Steam they are able to be played entirely without it.

I doubt this will change with The Division 2 on Epics launcher. I guarantee it will simply act as a launcher to open uPlay and auto launch the game.

Ubisoft have invested a lot of time and money into uPlay so I doubt it’s going anywhere.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »

Honestly I would guess it’s more black and white with that. Ubi is notorious for assinine marketing schemes (see the many ties like the custom Alexa device). I would bet the Epic backed a dump truck of cash to the door so Ubi was like “Cool! This will go great with our micro transactions!”

It might be simpler then that. I guess Div2 is enjoyable? People like it or something? That means people will want to buy it. And the Epic store give more of a percentage to sellers than Steam. So Ubi probably thinks Div2 will be enough to draw people to Epic to buy the thing and thus give them a greater profit overall than doing anything with Steam. And even if the numbers end up lower than if it was on Steam, the higher profit will 'break even' at some point and thus all future sales (as minuscule as they might end up) become even greater profit.

Epic may not have actually paid Ubi money for it, but they dangled that carrot.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also Epic is where the worlds biggest online shooter is right now. Offering another online shooter on the platform is a good idea since you might draw over players.

• Options
    The friend request has been accepted. The gift bombing concluded. Now we wait to see if anyone survived...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Of course, The Division 2 will still be available to buy, you know, on Uplay itself.

I'd be more inclined to pick it up there in due course.

Edit: out of curiosity, did anyone have it pre-ordered on Steam? Was that a thing that was available? Was it on Origin too? Since Ubi are also saying "pre-orders on other platforms will still be valid" and I assume they're still talking PC.

Jazz on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GREEN ENVELOPE ALERT!
    GREEN ENVELOPE ALERT!
    THIS IS NOT A DRI... Oh! It's just a harmless friend request. Nice!
    Wait a minute...
    Oh, my....
    S0y9D.gifS0y9D.gifS0y9D.gif
    7hpmBYm.jpg
    uBECZgJ.jpg
    Ib4repu.gif
    The friend request has been accepted. The gift bombing concluded. Now we wait to see if anyone survived...
    Nope.
    No survivors.
    True giftpocalypse.
    Thank you for the "carnage" @MNC Dover, you monster! <3<3<3

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I have had a "1 unread chat message" green envelope stuck on Steam for 4 days. I click on it and it just brings up the last chat I had with Viking on Saturday. I cannot get it to go away, not even restarting Steam or rebooting my PC. It's REALLY STARTING TO BUG ME. /mutter

Why are you so bad at this, Steam???

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Of course, The Division 2 will still be available to buy, you know, on Uplay itself.

I'd be more inclined to pick it up there in due course.

As I said in the Division thread, I buy my Ubisoft games on uPlay anyway because if you play any games on there you’re guaranteed a constant 20% off, even pre orders now.