As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Put edh in mtga!

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    8nqdgcn5np95.gif

Dude... this is my second run of the day. Time to go buy some lotto tickets. I'm at 3 teferis now. I'm going to get 4 of those fuckers before I get a single Karn aren't I?

furbat on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Put edh in mtga!

At least out Brawl in. The game seems designed perfectly for 1v1 brawl.

I ate an engineer
    edited January 2019
    Man BO1 draft is so frustrating. Win 6 games in a row, then lose 3 games in a row due to flood, mana screw, flood. So close to that 7th win! Definitely hoping I can get the gems to do some BO3 drafts of the new set when it hits.

edit: Furbat, what's your decklist for constructed events?

SniperGuy on
    edited January 2019
    https://mtgarena.pro/decks/ritual-18/

I put 2 rituals of soot in with 3 midnight reapers, the full explore package, and 3 carnage tyrants. Current list is at 65% w/r on 14 runs. Previous list was 69% over about 2 months but I've been trying to get a lock on WW.

furbat on
    Sometimes I like to hit unranked to have some fun.

9gxxsnzofpv3.gif

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I know EDH stands for Elder Dragon Highlander but I always read it as Electronic Dance Hmusic.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Have they announced pre-release events for MTGA?

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Have they announced pre-release events for MTGA?

I think it just releases and you just play on the 17th. Nothing fancy like giving out packs. I do hope that they do some sort of special weekend celebration and give out a code or two for some freebies.

If you go to a physical prerelease event on the 19th/20th then the prerelease boxes should come with a Sealed event code on it like for Guilds of Ravnica. Nice people might be even giving them out on Reddit or even here!

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I'll be doing 2 prereleases at my LGS, Rakdos and Gruul probably since that covers both of my EDH deck colours. For GRN I got two Arena codes for free sealed events but only one worked.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I'll be doing 2 prereleases at my LGS, Rakdos and Gruul probably since that covers both of my EDH deck colours. For GRN I got two Arena codes for free sealed events but only one worked.

Yeah you were only allowed to use one, pretty sure you can't stack 'em up.

Hoping I can snag one for sure since I am quite gem poor. I should have enough to do one draft unless I do particularly well with the gold draft I'm about to be able to do this weekend. My two ixalan drafts so far have been 0-3 and 6-3 so who knows!

cgRuhdc.jpg

@SniperGuy MILL RATS

I ate an engineer
    Oh my god yes

Blockers! THAT MILL! MILLING BLOCKERS! Psychic Corrosion, Drowned Secrets, like 22 lands, 16 of those guys, counterspells, teferi, boardwipes?

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Jesus.

Arena Pauper is doomed. Doooooooomed

I ate an engineer
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    repudiatereplicate90.jpg
    Repudiate/Replicate
    Instant - counter target activated or triggered ability
    Sorcery - create a token that's a copy of a creature you control (waiting on translation to see whether this targets or not)

NTzL895.jpg

Mono green stifle. Hmmmmmmm? I'd actually like it if Green got stifle as a recurring part of its pie with it primary in blue, tbh

I ate an engineer
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2019
    milski wrote: »
    MILL RATS

I just got an erection.

edit: AND IT'S A COMMON?

Echo on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    MILL RATS

I just got an erection.

has to be if you can put an infinite amount of them in your deck.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Too bad they aren't rat advisors. Missed opportunity.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    This draft format is gonna be fascinating

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hmmm, there are zero Advisors in standard right now. They'd better print a buttload of Advisors in RNA (besides Teysa) so I can make my Advisor tribal deck work.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hmmm, there are zero Advisors in standard right now. They'd better print a buttload of Advisors in RNA (besides Teysa) so I can make my Advisor tribal deck work.

Arcane Adaptation might come in handy. Man that seems like an awful card though.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited January 2019
    22x Lands

4x Drowned Secrets
    4x Psychic Corrosion
    4x Teferi
    16x Persistent Petitioners

Then what?

4x Cleansing Nova
    4x Absorb (or other counterspell perhaps)
    2x ....more lands? Bounce spells? Settle the Wreckage? Syncopate? Quench? Could drop 2x psychic corrosion as there's not much card draw. Or these can be chemisters insight? Number of Petitoners is flexible as well, but want to be able to reliably hit 4 or more, so 12 or more seems important.

edit: needs a way to deal with planeswalkers too (oh, ixalan's binding!)

SniperGuy on
    KalTorak wrote: »

Arcane Adaptation might come in handy. Man that seems like an awful card though.

yeah, but I love trying to make it work. A bunch of tokens, Petitioners, and Adaptation could take out a whole library in a turn or two.

If you're running Persitent Petitioners I don't think you run planeswalkers, other mill cards, or sweepers. You run lifegain, cheap counterspells, and spot and mass protection to stall out then combo mill your opponent. Basically, look at Mono-Blue Tempo's counterspell list, then maybe splash white for the mass indestructible card and run some card draw for if you get flooded.

I ate an engineer
    Like, imagine if you were running a Relentless Rats deck and trying to play Angrath and Fanatical Firebrands. They aren't really in service of the game plan

I ate an engineer
    yeah, it's tricky because mill is generally a control wincon, but if your mill is creature-based then you can't use all the sweepers that hit your side. Settle still works, and the Golden Demise-level sweeps.

edited January 2019
    I'd think you would at least want drowned secrets to work super well with the Petitioners. But while the 12 cards is good, that's still quite a few turns before you can actually make that work since you have to get 4 out and then tap them all out. Teferi works well enough as protection and card draw, plus a threat all on his own. The petitioners can keep you alive against aggro while the other enchants do work and you build up a mana base to keep dropping them out. More of control with those as a useful protective part, but maybe it won't work I dunno. And cleansing nova is just good against lots of stuff, though losing your petitioners is unfortunate. Can you tap 4 of them with summoning sickness?

I can definitely see running settle instead of nova. Nova is harder to play around but settle doesn't murder your own stuff and that stuff can block.

SniperGuy on
    the "tap four Advisors" ability doesn't use the tap symbol, so you can use creatures that have summoning sickness.

edited January 2019
    Drowned Secrets is bad because it's a 2 mana card that isn't a petitioner. Every time you draw it, you would be better off having drawn another petitioner. They are an all-in method of building mill, diluting them makes them nearly pointless inclusions.

A petitioner deck would look very similar to a rats deck. It needs some level of control, but only as a tempo play to reach the point at which you win the game in 4 turns when you have four petitioners out. Effects that do not maintain or place petitioners on the board are probably not worth it.

Also, you are overestimating the reliability of petitioners. 16 petitioners is only a 32% chance of having four in play T4 on the draw. 26 is probably the minimum to run, where you hit 4 by turn 4 80% of the time.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    MILL RATS

I just got an erection.

a common erection?

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Played my first RIX best of 1 draft last night. Was kinda nervous because I've never drafted it and didn't have my standard tier list resources, but I guess I did ok since I went 7-2 with GW Dinos. They flying dinos were MVPs, also had a Captain's Hook which helped.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Drowned Secrets is bad because it's a 2 mana card that isn't a petitioner. Every time you draw it, you would be better off having drawn another petitioner. They are an all-in method of building mill, diluting them makes them nearly pointless inclusions.

A petitioner deck would look very similar to a rats deck. It needs some level of control, but only as a tempo play to reach the point at which you win the game in 4 turns when you have four petitioners out. Effects that do not maintain or place petitioners on the board are probably not worth it.

Also, you are overestimating the reliability of petitioners. 16 petitioners is only a 32% chance of having four in play T4 on the draw. 26 is probably the minimum to run, where you hit 4 by turn 4 80% of the time.

You would probably want some way to refresh your hand otherwise you're just topdecking one petitioner a turn

Your chances of being able to put 4 out by T4 is high but with the level of creature destruction your chance of keeping 4 alive until T4 is much lower. Like 2 lightning strikes destroys your deck

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Up to 99k. I am ready for Allegiance. And then, the grind starts over.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited January 2019
    Have we seen all the cards now? We have to be getting close. We've had 15 mythic rares get revealed. 16 with haunt of high tower.

I wonder if there is going to be some sort of crazy ass elfball that splashes red for rhythm of the wild.

Edit: Oh shit.... growth chamber guardian + incubation druid are both elves and have some sick synergy with rhythm...

Oh and kraul harpooner with haste...

furbat on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    a 1/3 body at least is reasonably sturdy and dodges some things but needing to hit a threshold to mill at a useful speed makes it seem like a rat variant that is more susceptible to single target removal really messing with its plans

i'm excited about dumb gate synergy cards to see but thus far none of the revealed ones work for what i want. more gate draw pls

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    P10 wrote: »
    a 1/3 body at least is reasonably sturdy and dodges some things but needing to hit a threshold to mill at a useful speed makes it seem like a rat variant that is more susceptible to single target removal really messing with its plans

i'm excited about dumb gate synergy cards to see but thus far none of the revealed ones work for what i want. more gate draw pls

gatewaysneak.jpg

This gives draw?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    darn card image gallery not being the most update to date
    oh i also missed plaza of harmony, which, not being a gate, is still sick

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited January 2019
    Oooh!

Good pets cycle keeps going!

GRN
    3289db66-231f-4370-aca6-644d75bee293.jpg?1538879716

RNA
    56d86909-b7f3-4a46-9904-e173853b79f1.jpg?1547144177

I hope the 3rd set has another good pet, maybe like a cute birb!? I guess it's been done already in the Dominaria set...

44.jpg?1524790433

Like, I love fierce monsters but MTG needs more cute cards that aren't in un-sets.

Edit: I checked and i guess it could be a full cycle with one new member every expansion set. There wasn't an expansion between Dominaria and Guilds of Ravnica....

So.... what's the cute red or black pet gonna be, i wonder!

Edit to the Edit: I am aware it's not a real cycle. I just really like those cards. They're very cute and flavorful and i would die for each of those!

21stCentury on