As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

1747576777880»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Whoops. I accidentally clicked on this thread and now I want to get back into BoI.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Whoops. I accidentally clicked on this thread and now I want to get back into BoI.

It's pretty good.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

It's calling to you, Drez. Calling from the Depths.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    I have BoI Afterbirth+ and I played a lot of the original but I still kind of suck at it. Other than playing it over and over and over and over and over, what else can I do to get knowledge about good items and play methods?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for the PS4 version to update. Last I checked they were at booster pack 3 I think.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I have BoI Afterbirth+ and I played a lot of the original but I still kind of suck at it. Other than playing it over and over and over and over and over, what else can I do to get knowledge about good items and play methods?

Spoilers, obviously:

http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus for the quick cheat sheet

And of course there is the wiki.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Spoilers, obviously:

http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus for the quick cheat sheet

And of course there is the wiki.

Thanks.

What's the prevailing thought on unknowns, like pills? Skip 'em? Is there a particular strategy around them?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There are times when you want to avoid them, but in general you'll want to use identify them.

General principles:
    don't use in situations where finding out its a telepill will screw you out of something.

Don't use in tight spaces or dangerous areas in case it's explosive diarrhea or the ipecac effect.

In general just don't use them if something unexpected happening could kill you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    For pills i usually wait until end of the floor, in case it's Amnesia or Question Marks.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    I do sometimes use unknown pills in rooms where i want to break something but have no bombs just in case it's an explosive effect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's also nice to use as many pills as possible in the earlier levels, when getting question marks or amnesia isn't as big of a deal.

I'm really glad there's never been a "randomizer" pill like the present of the same name in ToeJame & Earl. That would be brutal.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Sometimes it would be a godsend. Occasionally I get runs where the pills are just balls.

My rule is to always take a pill unless doing so might ruin something or kill me. Even the bad pills can only fool you once and the bad effects aren’t as bad as their opposite good effects are good.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Interesting. I almost always avoid pills like the plague. Good to know, thanks for the advice!

• Options
    Yeah, sometimes you get a shitty pool of pills, but it's better to find out early! Some pills are great, especially the one that allows you to swallow a trinket, granting you that trinket's effect permanently.

• Options
    I will say I almost never take Little Baggy, the item that gives you an extra pill slot, because it also replaces all card and rune drops with pills. Cards and runes are generally a lot more powerful and versatile than most pills you'd want to hang on to. Most of the best pills are typically ones you'd use as soon as possible, like the stat increase, or the one SteevL mentioned that eats your trinket, so extra storage isn't an issue.

The only exceptions I'd say are if you have ended up in a high red heart run and have a couple full health pills for long boss fights like Delirium, or you have a really good use item and are stocking up on energy pills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I almost never take Little Baggy either.

• Options
    Little Baggy is pretty jank, yeah.
    A bit more on pills. For the Gulp pill SteevL mentioned, when you're doing your early pill testing, if you're holding the Left Hand, drop it before taking the pill. Nothing worse than getting to the final floor and being locked into Red Chests only (as they do not have guaranteed item pedestal drops).
    Also, if you're doing the Ultra Hard challenge, have some how managed to load up on Red Hearts, and haven't been checking pills on the regular, do not take any you get from the red chests before the Mega Satan fight. If that seems oddly specific, i've had two attempts at that one tanked because i gambled and pulled Hemotemisis (empties all your red heart containers and drops them on the floor, except for the challenge, no hearts will spawn, so now you get to fight Megs on one red heart).

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I never pick up the left hand for that reason. Red chests are too high risk/meh reward.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    I never pick up the left hand for that reason. Red chests are too high risk/meh reward.

Early guppy's tail and red hand is super good. You're nearly guaranteed becoming guppy.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    I've been playing the game a lot again lately and noticed that I finally filled out my item list on my main save file!

So I've been working on my second save file. I still haven't beaten Mom's Heart enough for it to be replaced with It Lives, but I've still managed to do hard mode with several characters and get through Sheol. And last night + this morning I had a run with Lazarus where I got access to The Dark Room and ended up getting through 3 victory laps because I was so overpowered. Nice to get that one out of the way!

• Options
    Heads up, the Switch is getting the next two booster packs here in 9 minutes.

• Options
    Hey folks, just wanted to throw a quick question out as a sanity check, yeah?

So i'm working through Keeper's Post-it, and i'm down fighting the Hush for the guaranteed Delirium portal (which was probably not the best idea considering my load-out, but it was that or gamble on one showing up later). So, i've got Spider Mod, and i noticed the Hush Flies, while clearly getting hit, weren't actually taking any damage for a bit after they spawned. Well, at least their HP bar wasn't reflecting damage taken.

So, i'm wondering, i've always thought the Hush Flies were a bit over tanky, but is it really that they just have a period of invincibility when they spawn? It's either that or there was something buggy with Spider Mod (which would be, i suppose, appropriate).

Also, i'll be so glad when i never have to play the keeper again.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options

So i'm working through Keeper's Post-it, and i'm down fighting the Hush for the guaranteed Delirium portal (which was probably not the best idea considering my load-out, but it was that or gamble on one showing up later). So, i've got Spider Mod, and i noticed the Hush Flies, while clearly getting hit, weren't actually taking any damage for a bit after they spawned. Well, at least their HP bar wasn't reflecting damage taken.

So, i'm wondering, i've always thought the Hush Flies were a bit over tanky, but is it really that they just have a period of invincibility when they spawn? It's either that or there was something buggy with Spider Mod (which would be, i suppose, appropriate).

I think they share a collective health bar that goes past what mod spider shows you. It’s a weird coding trick they did that has weird results.

• Options

I think they share a collective health bar that goes past what mod spider shows you. It’s a weird coding trick they did that has weird results.

Ok, that's fair enough. i didn't have a huge damage stat at the time, so maybe the bar was ticking down "off screen." Next time i get there with a beefier load-out i'll pay more attention to if they get erased right off. Thanks for the head's up, josh!

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Actually I was wrong. They do share a common health pool, but they are also invulnerable for a short period of time after they’re spawned.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've had countless runs where I'm a walking death machine, and even Hush's damage scaling is no match for my power... and those flies seem to live abnormally long.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    7 month bump? Why would I do this?

Because the BoI prequel, The Legend of Bum-bo, comes out in November and there's a new trailer:
    https://youtu.be/-sNhPqfJmDs