As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I think there is a new Heaving Earth coming out this year too

I'm off to change my pants now. Thank you.

You're excited...feel these nipples!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Amazing totp :lol:

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What in tarnation

Also it’s actually from 2017 but I just picked up Qrixkuor’s Incantations from the Abyss and I like it a lot — murky labyrinthine cave stuff 🤘🏼

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Got the promo for YERÛŠELEM, which is basically the new Blut Aus Nord band, although I don't think Blut Aus Nord is going anywhere. Very similar to the BaN atmospheric, industrial metal style albums but with a few differences in the mood and vocals.

Does it sound more like the pissed off BaN stuff or the more atmospheric BaN stuff?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Does it sound more like the pissed off BaN stuff or the more atmospheric BaN stuff?

It's supposed to be a continuation of the last 777 album.

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Got the promo for YERÛŠELEM, which is basically the new Blut Aus Nord band, although I don't think Blut Aus Nord is going anywhere. Very similar to the BaN atmospheric, industrial metal style albums but with a few differences in the mood and vocals.

Atmospheric, industrial stuff. Not too pissed off.

• Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That digipack reissue of Deathrow's Deception Ignored that Noise did from last year is really well done. Although I'm still confused as to how Markus says (from the interview they have printed in the booklet) he hates songs like "Narcotic" (which might just be my favorite thrash song ever).

EthelTheFrog on
    All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    Although I'm still confused as to how Markus says (from the interview they have printed in the booklet) he hates songs like "Narcotic" (which might just be my favorite thrash song every).

It always confused me that they don't like Deception Ignored that much in general; I'm guessing it's because they were just too overwhelmed by how brilliant they became when Uwe joined on guitar, and it blinded them and they had to run away, afraid of what they had unleashed. I mean I like the first two albums well enough for what they were, but they are not even remotely as immortal and genius as Deception Ignored.

I don't actually have the Noise reissue for that one, I've got the Divebomb version from a few years before, but that sounds great, and I do have the Noise reissues for the first two albums and they sound awesome too.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    That digipack reissue of Deathrow's Deception Ignored that Noise did from last year is really well done. Although I'm still confused as to how Markus says (from the interview they have printed in the booklet) he hates songs like "Narcotic" (which might just be my favorite thrash song every).

All of the Noise reissues are of that quality. You can't go wrong with them!

And well, he's the drummer. Complicated songs are probably a pain in the ass!

• Options
    The world really needs a Noise records for today, with an innovating, excellent and hugely consistent roster, especially for thrash and power metal.

Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of consistently great labels, like 20 Buck Spin, Dark Descent, and others, but when you look at the lineup Noise had it's just so staggering. I would buy every damn tape they ever released, even if I hadn't heard it, and they didn't really fizzle out at all until later in the 90s. I know they had some problems between some of the executives and the bands, but the product was stunning. Glad they are reissuing stuff but man would I love a godly label like that to exist today.

• Options
    An interview with Markus and Sven takes up the first five or so pages of the booklet. They talk a lot about how Uwe changed the dynamic of the band because he was such a technical player and that Sven tried his best, on the songs that he composed ("NYLH" and "Bureaucrazy" in particular), to find a middle ground between earlier Deathrow and what Uwe was bringing to the table. They also said that Noise was pressuring them to release a new album, so they felt like they didn't have enough time to tinker with Uwe's compositions to make them more Deathrow-ish.
    And well, he's the drummer. Complicated songs are probably a pain in the ass!

Markus actually said that, to this day, he's still really proud of how much he improved his playing to be able to pull off the compositions on Deception Ignored.

Also, it's really refreshing to see Noise leaving in criticisms of the label for the sake of honesty. There's a bit in the interview about how the band felt like they were being mistreated by Noise before they decided to leave the label. And that's printed in...a Noise reissue. They could have easily taken that bit out but they didn't.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So I finally got myself a password manager and went through a list I made years ago of various accounts I have and came across UltimateMetal.com's forums. I did some password stuff and decided to peruse the forums a bit...which are not very active anymore, unsurprisingly. I stumbled across a thread titled "Ultimate Metal is dying" from last year and the most recent post is this, from a week ago:
    qbkujaj18ku4.png

I do get a kick out of a grumpy post like that every now and then.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Kind of a shame. I have some good memories of a couple of subforums on UM. Even modded there for my old mates Katagory V when they were still active. :)

The advent of social media as we currently know it did a real number on forums all over the web. To varying extents, of course. Honestly I think it's a shame because forums, from my perspective at least, scratch a very different itch, and have different strengths. I dunno, I'm probably wrong, based on results. Anyway, I'm glad that this forum is still going as strong as it is, and for this thread being part of it.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Metalcore bands, please fire all your generic vocalists.

The music on the new Born of Osiris album would absolutely slay if they had an actual memorable, maybe even unique vocalist instead of those boring, predictable grunts. So tacky! Kills a lot of these sorts of records.

autothrall on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Cancer Bats put out a the only b-side single off their new album yesterday called Inside Out, and it's a banger:

https://youtu.be/OXAD3lTVqVo

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Here's a new track from upcoming Rotting Christ.

https://youtu.be/WBKs8JAzjo8

I like it. It's definitely a continuation of the sound from Aelo onward, but this is a little more constrained and not as over the top as some of the tracks from the last 2 albums were.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

The music on the new Born of Osiris album would absolutely slay if they had an actual memorable, maybe even unique vocalist instead of those boring, predictable grunts. So tacky! Kills a lot of these sorts of records.

I'd say generic archetypal vocals are a widespread problem in metal (and music in general).

Though I do know how much of a distaste you have for the midrange barkers, probably just amplifies the problem. Same reason death burps instantly turn me off of a band 99% of the time.

I did run across this song I swear was just made to make you fume from the ears, seems like a good time to post it:

https://youtu.be/bhPbICS1qEc

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

This band in particular. After A Higher Place came out, I thought they were going to be the next big thing and totally legitimize the new wave of metalcore/deathcore. But yeah, those vocals and those lyrics...

Every time I listen to a deathcore-type album that piques my interest, I end up coming away thinking "if they could just replace those boring chugging parts with something more acrobatic and replace those bland -core vocals with something unique, this would be awesome". But then I realize that if they took out the chugging parts and -core vocals, they probably wouldn't be deathcore. One day somebody will pull it off, I'm sure. Meanwhile, my go-to deathcore album is The Red Shore's The Avarice of Man and I wouldn't even give that an epic win status.

EthelTheFrog on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    It's like the vocalists have some template they feel they need to follow to a T, and if they deviate whatsoever or have any distinct personality they'll get kicked out of some imaginary club. The vocals just sound like the dumb lovechild of Hatebreed and Pantera and some generic fantasy about what death metal gutturals sound like. Even the Bring Me the Horizon guy sounds more genuinely engaged. I'm not saying other sub-genres aren't also guilty of the cut and paste styles, but just in general I prefer real death metal gutturals and black metal rasps, even if they are also teetering on the generic, they don't suffer from the 'faux emotional tough-guy' syndrome which I thought died off in like 2009 but I'm proven wrong on a regular basis. You dudes are playing heavy music, sound FEROCIOUS.

Sound like this guy. He sounds like he wants to twist your neck off and smell what's inside. But they can still do the chorus vocals thing. Imagine these over the new Born of Osiris album. It'd be on my 2019 list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8owEC055p8

The Erra vocalist wasn't the worst I've heard, he has a few sustains and a fractionally more nasty inflection. Of course they're doing the 'have your cake and eat it too' thing with the radio bro vocals, Linkin Park with more mosh. But that occasionally sounds alright, I don't mind it when a few bands like Soilwork, Raunchy etc do it.

autothrall on
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hell yeah, gonna have to head out for this one. Especially for the two openers!

bxyd9tnxwdqm.jpg
    I haven't been to a show since Dark Tranquillity toured for Atoma with Enforcer ... time to get a ticket for the KC show!!!

Not to #WoeIsMeBrag, but 2018 was a fucking shit year overall for me personally - one of those years where the Universe reminds you that suffering is the true nature of the human experience.

Oddly, despite clearly being in the right mood, I listened to hardly any music, and I didn't get or listen to any new albums and I stopped spending time here.

Over the last 2 days I read through the last year of posts and as a result nabbed about 130 albums, so I'm feeling more like myself and I can't thank you all enough for the enjoyment reconnecting with your voices has brought me.

Edit: Special thanks for bringing the newest remaster of Deception Ignored to my attention - this is the best version I've heard so far of that most amazing of all tech thrash albums.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Sound like this guy. He sounds like he wants to twist your neck off and smell what's inside.

Comparing any modern -core screamer to Andreas Sydow is like comparing cat food to filet mignon.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I still think Sam Carter of Architects has a bulletproof larynx and a really unique styling. Even outside of the metalcore genre, I feel there's something utterly savage about his higher register shriek/scream that sets them apart.

https://youtu.be/hvWnnSCJHeM

The fact he can consistently keep a real tune with that tortured banshee wail is a wonder.

Easily one of the best in the game today.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Haha ok. I stand corrected. This Sam Carter is clearly not analogical cat food. As an aside, this is the first time I've ever actually heard Architects. Pretty neat stuff.

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    NEW VOIVOD FUCKING WRECKS!! \m/

Sorry to freak out about old news (not all that sorry considering :D ), but I just am completing my first listen.

I can't even handle what is happening with The Wake, because it's fully cast in the mold of my favorite Voivod albums (I'm an outlier here for that, as I'm not particularly fond of their war-thrash trio), yet moreso.

I love what Chewy is doing - getting in little touches of what I love about his work in Martyr and Quo Vadis, but constructively adding up to an incredible Voivod gestalt - fucking nuts.

Edit: Joining the ongoing the discussion of -core vox, my two cents are in the pile with autothrall and EthelTheFrog - the bland vox are not helping. Although, despite their wondrous ear-candy initial impressions, Born of Osiris albums have had 0 staying power, so I'm not sure vox are the only issue (for me).

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Since I'm always double-posting, I might as well - Fucking Queen of Time, Firepower, and Cruel Magic all coming out the same year as The Wake? How fucking lucky are my ears?!! Can't believe Judas Priest did something worthy of their classics again!!

They really are
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztxLp_r4KMk

LOL :D

(sorry for the cringe-y word-play joke there, just couldn't help myself ... I am a dad, lol)

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Haha ok. I stand corrected. This Sam Carter is clearly not analogical cat food. As an aside, this is the first time I've ever actually heard Architects. Pretty neat stuff.

They're a stand out, yeah.

It just kinda gets tiring hearing people still gunning for what KSE did almost 20 years ago except I dunno with blast beats n shit.

It's why I can appreciate something like Wage Wars "Stitch" because in an era of fluttery leads and prog drums without the creativity, sometimes a big fucking dumb left hook of a song can be refreshing (even if the album as a whole is guilty of modern coreness and really not worth the time).

https://youtu.be/DE7oZ9nVFB0

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I can't say I disagree with your sentiments.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Maybe that's why something crazy like Zeal and Ardor stands out so much.

But yeah, even though the depth and breadth of the ocean we call metal music is vast and some great defining features, inbetween there's vast tracts of samey bullshit.

My whole thing is be original or so fucking good it doesn't matter if you're derivative.

Edit: Edited because you edited

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

But yeah, even though the depth and breadth of the ocean we call metal music is vast and some great defining features, inbetween there's vast tracts of samey bullshit.

My whole thing is be original or so fucking good it doesn't matter if you're derivative.

LOL. I decided I was coming off like a pedantic dick, so I had to rework it, sorry.

Your whole thing is like my whole thing, so rock on bro.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I think after the burial had some solid core albums. But yeah the vocals are the weakest part.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Architects and Bring Me the Horizon are both examples of metalcore-ish acts with singers that sound like they mean it. Whiny and emotional, perhaps, but they mean it. Very punkish-inflected styles, sometimes similar to In Flames who I guess could be counted as metalcore half the time. I still spin that one album from years ago...Sempiternal was it? Very catchy stuff, and the record after also had a few catchy tunes. As for the new Architects that one almost made my 'backup' list over on RYM this year.

But yeah, even this guy's cleaner stuff has some angst in it, some flaws that really make me believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEVsozZg57E

In more cult, credibility-saving news, I think I now own all the Bonehunter CDs, a band that continues to grow on me with their phallus-packing werewolf cover arts and grimy evil speed metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg38B0rKefc

Also the new Veilburner is a pretty interesting listen, death metal with twists.

autothrall on
  • Options

LOL. I decided I was coming off like a pedantic dick, so I had to rework it, sorry.

Your whole thing is like my whole thing, so rock on bro.

Nah I didn't get any pedantry from it. You were good man. \m/

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I'd say the new As I Lay Dying exemplifies everything that really drives me nuts about metalcore right now.

The uninteresting viking drum beat screamed vocal cadence, the unnecessary noodly guitar riff that sounds like rapidly chewing a fried cheese curd over a pretty bland sing-songy chorus, and the really predictable everything.

I'm not even going to link it here, but if you want to go look at it have at it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there was this moment where i realised the new stam1na was both somehow harder and more melodic than most metalcore and i was like wait one DIGGLY DARN SECOND is the secret finnish and then it turned out the answer is yes it is

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm ashamed to say that, when I was in my early/mid teens, I thought As I Lay Dying was the greatest band ever. How far I've come...

EthelTheFrog on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    dont worry ethel i still get endless shit for liking figure number 5 the most out of all the soilwork albums but they will never defeat what 14 year old me liked... never....

also a friend who sent me devin townsend and sleepytime gorilla museum

i really liked love? for some reason
    That Stam1na album is pretty dope too, not my fave from them but damn solid.

yeah they are in some ways kind of spinning their wheels but im ok with it because there arent that many stam1nas

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That digipack reissue of Deathrow's Deception Ignored that Noise did from last year is really well done. Although I'm still confused as to how Markus says (from the interview they have printed in the booklet) he hates songs like "Narcotic" (which might just be my favorite thrash song ever).

I gotta buy this just to read the interview.

Narcotic is one of the greatest songs of all time.

E: Seriously look at the fucking lyric difference between every single song on Deception Ignored and the ones on Life Beyond. Like, what the fuck even happened? It's the same line-up!

Mgcw on
  • Options
    dont worry ethel i still get endless shit for liking figure number 5 the most out of all the soilwork albums but they will never defeat what 14 year old me liked... never....

also a friend who sent me devin townsend and sleepytime gorilla museum

i really liked love? for some reason
    That Stam1na album is pretty dope too, not my fave from them but damn solid.

yeah they are in some ways kind of spinning their wheels but im ok with it because there arent that many stam1nas

I gotta be honest that when FNF spins lately it's a lot better than 23 year old tryhard me gave it credit for.

Still some kinda meh tracks but overall really good.

• Options
    Has anyone heard Your Last Orison by End Amen? According to MA, its the only other album Uwe from Deathrow was involved in.

This discussion has been closed.