As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Yeah, if Disney doesn't make Congress get their shit in order then Steamboat Willie is in the public domain on 1/1/2024

I fully expect Disney to get Congress to stop that from happening, but it could!

Mickey himself is pretty well protected by trademark law at this point, as are most "mascot" characters.

The mouse is insulated from the public domain, yes, but not the specific cartoons that featured Mickey.

Not so sure; Disney started adding a clip of Steamboat Willie to the beginning of a few of their films for one of the anniversaries recently I think.
    I saw that as an attempt to make the cartoon a Disney trademark.

I heard about that, but trademark doesn't work that way...

It's probably more so that have fodder for the next time they go to congress to whine.

"Look see this 80 year old cartoon is so important to us we put it in front of all these movies if it feel into public domain it'd be so unfaiiiiiir"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Aioua wrote: »
    Yeah, if Disney doesn't make Congress get their shit in order then Steamboat Willie is in the public domain on 1/1/2024

I fully expect Disney to get Congress to stop that from happening, but it could!

Mickey himself is pretty well protected by trademark law at this point, as are most "mascot" characters.

The mouse is insulated from the public domain, yes, but not the specific cartoons that featured Mickey.

Not so sure; Disney started adding a clip of Steamboat Willie to the beginning of a few of their films for one of the anniversaries recently I think.

It's probably more so that have fodder for the next time they go to congress to whine.

"Look see this 80 year old cartoon is so important to us we put it in front of all these movies if it feel into public domain it'd be so unfaiiiiiir"

"...Now, everyone please look under your seats and find your hat made of money. You get a hat! And you get a hat!"

Edit "...and we get to throttle trademarks going public domain for another 20 years"

see317 on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    "So, what drug is he on?"

"All of them, apparently."
    New Year's Eve is a night when people like to cut loose and spend the night imbibing, but one man in Ibiza, Spain decided to allegedly kick off 2019 with a double hat trick of illegal substances.

According to a report from the Olive Press, Ibiza police pulled over a 31-year-old man in the early hours of New Year's Day after they spotted him driving erratically around the Balearic island. When officers conducted roadside tests to determine whether the suspect might be under the influence, they were surprised to find the man had been ringing in the new year with pretty much every single illegal substance their tests could detect.

That's partying hard.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

New Year's Eve is a night when people like to cut loose and spend the night imbibing, but one man in Ibiza, Spain decided to allegedly kick off 2019 with a double hat trick of illegal substances.

According to a report from the Olive Press, Ibiza police pulled over a 31-year-old man in the early hours of New Year's Day after they spotted him driving erratically around the Balearic island. When officers conducted roadside tests to determine whether the suspect might be under the influence, they were surprised to find the man had been ringing in the new year with pretty much every single illegal substance their tests could detect.

That's partying hard.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=foE1mO2yM04

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Wait, does that mean Micky goes public domain in five years?

Bet Disney is gonna lobby the shit out of that.

It's more complicated than that. Only his earliest incarnation is public domain so elements of his design that were added later like the gloves and shape of the head are still protected. This is more of an issue for things like the superheros IMO since for them it also means stuff about their background or important plot events that happened after their initial introduction are still verboten until those years of copyrights sunset.

The test used by the legal case that forced Sherlock Holmes into the public domain was whether the "works" (in that case illustrations added to a later publication of a previous story) still under copyright were vital to the character - all of the original stories were public domain, but the characters were still under an expensive copyright held by a litigious estate. I think it's pretty safe to say that Steamboat Willie doesn't give a complete view of Mickey Mouse.

It falls into the fuzzy and treacherous waters of the law ruling on art, though - it's easy to say that a few pictures aren't required to "complete" Sherlock Holmes, but where's that line with Mickey Mouse as bit by bit history falls into public domain. Mickey Mouse is effectively a different character in every incarnation - a few years ago he was an Elmo knockoff, and these days he's driving racecars. He's been a 19th Century bank clerk, a cowboy, a pirate, a spaceman, a ninja warrior king... I can see why Disney wants to make sure the question never gets to be asked.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Disney is a pretty unique case, sinc
    Hevach wrote: »
    Wait, does that mean Micky goes public domain in five years?

Bet Disney is gonna lobby the shit out of that.

It's more complicated than that. Only his earliest incarnation is public domain so elements of his design that were added later like the gloves and shape of the head are still protected. This is more of an issue for things like the superheros IMO since for them it also means stuff about their background or important plot events that happened after their initial introduction are still verboten until those years of copyrights sunset.

The test used by the legal case that forced Sherlock Holmes into the public domain was whether the "works" (in that case illustrations added to a later publication of a previous story) still under copyright were vital to the character - all of the original stories were public domain, but the characters were still under an expensive copyright held by a litigious estate. I think it's pretty safe to say that Steamboat Willie doesn't give a complete view of Mickey Mouse.

It falls into the fuzzy and treacherous waters of the law ruling on art, though - it's easy to say that a few pictures aren't required to "complete" Sherlock Holmes, but where's that line with Mickey Mouse as bit by bit history falls into public domain. Mickey Mouse is effectively a different character in every incarnation - a few years ago he was an Elmo knockoff, and these days he's driving racecars. He's been a 19th Century bank clerk, a cowboy, a pirate, a spaceman, a ninja warrior king... I can see why Disney wants to make sure the question never gets to be asked.

Mickey Mouse and Disney are such a unique scenario that I could see a legit argument for them (and similar "iterated and re-iterated without pause even generations after the creator's death) to get specific legislation to state exactly what part/aspect/story/etc of a character goes public and what doesn't when a specific work reaches public domain (so long as the answer isn't "nothing" of course.)

steam_sig.png
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

That's partying hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Kidnapper chases victim into karate dojo. You can guess what happened next.

Apparently getting his ass kicked by the instructor wasn’t enough, he picked a fight with the cops afterward.

Nobody wrote: »
    Kidnapper chases victim into karate dojo. You can guess what happened next.

Apparently getting his ass kicked by the instructor wasn’t enough, he picked a fight with the cops afterward.

Some people have a really hard time understanding when to cut bait.

In "that's not a holster" news, Louisiana Man found preparing to asspull gun:
    The officers also spotted a homemade “zip gun” on the floorboard of Savoie’s truck, which was parked with the door open, and found several additional firearms and homemade suppressors inside the truck after obtaining a search warrant.

While Savoie was undergoing a strip search during his processing into the Lafourche Parish sub-station, deputies found a small gun concealed in his buttocks.

The caliber and make of the gun has not been released.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    No matter what type of gun it ends up being, it's going to turn out to be shitty anyway.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Man running into a karate dojo trying to kidnap somebody sounds about as smart as trying to rob a gun shop.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Isn't trademark "I have used this branding (imagery, name, etc) consistently, therefore you using the same is an attempt to impersonate me"?
    If Disney goes "We are well-known for the use of Steamboat Willie as an identifier for our works" can't they then sue for trademark infringement if someone else distributes that cartoon?

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Isn't trademark "I have used this branding (imagery, name, etc) consistently, therefore you using the same is an attempt to impersonate me"?
    If Disney goes "We are well-known for the use of Steamboat Willie as an identifier for our works" can't they then sue for trademark infringement if someone else distributes that cartoon?

*If* their current use of Streamboat Willie works as trademark, They would have to prove that it was used in a way that would confuse the viewer into thinking it was a Disney production.

Also playing a clip of the cartoon at the beginning of your show/video? That could get hit with a suit.

Having some clip play on a TV screen in the middle of a R-rated horror movie? Totally ok once it is public domain, because noone is going to reasonably believe that it was a Disney movie because of it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Guy tries to rob UFC fighter, ends about as you'd expect:
    UFC strawweight Polyana Viana was waiting for a cab in front of her apartment in Rio De Janeiro last weekend, when she says a man sat next to her and tried to steal her phone. According to Viana, the man asked her the time, then told her to give up the phone and threatened her with a gun. Viana realized that he was probably lying about the gun, so she subdued him with ease:
    “He was really close to me. So I thought, ‘If it’s a gun, he won’t have time to draw it.’ So I stood up. I threw two punches and a kick. He fell, then I caught him in a rear-naked choke. Then I sat him down in the same place we were before and said, ‘Now we’ll wait for the police.’”

The moral of the story: don't rob people.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The moral of the story: don't rob people.
    The moral of the story: always check the enemies level before you engage. This one sounds like she'd have just had a skull there instead of a number.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    The fact that there was a truck overturn that spilled out its load of chicken tenders isn't what gets this story here. No, that's because of the warning by law enforcement:
    The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is asking that no one try to stop to get the chicken tenders that were spilled from the 18 wheeler accident last night on Highway 35. You're creating a traffic hazard! It's a crime to impede the flow of traffic.

Those cases have been on the ground for over 24 hours and are unsafe to consume.

Anyone who is caught could be facing charges.

Yes, they are telling people to not pick up the highway chicken.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The fact that there was a truck overturn that spilled out its load of chicken tenders isn't what gets this story here. No, that's because of the warning by law enforcement:
    The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is asking that no one try to stop to get the chicken tenders that were spilled from the 18 wheeler accident last night on Highway 35. You're creating a traffic hazard! It's a crime to impede the flow of traffic.

Those cases have been on the ground for over 24 hours and are unsafe to consume.

Why did the humans cross the road? :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Why did the humans cross the road? :D

To follow the tire:

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago in Texas a truck carrying jalapenos overturned and caught fire.

I would not want to have been down wind of that.

steam_sig.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

But if you're down wind of that and a bbq, you've got a nice aroma.

Alaskan hospital gets an unexpected walkin:
    A moose walked into the lobby of Wise Physical Therapy in Anchorage Monday for a few minutes of warmth and to graze on some fresh greens. The office is on the campus of Alaska Regional Hospital.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

Given the volume of peppers that had to have been almost like tear gas

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Let's try and remember to check back on Cherokee County in a few days. I have a suspicion that there might be a salmanella and/or other food borne illness outbreak in/around that county in the near future.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

Given the volume of peppers that had to have been almost like tear gas

Mmmmmmboy.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

At some point I may or may not have put tobasco sauce into a glass bottle with the flameless ration heater granules and tossed it in someones tent.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Reminds me of when our two dishwashers got into a dare off that ended hilariously with each of them snorting tabasco sauce.

Bad news for them

Gone right: I got to see it

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of when our two dishwashers got into a dare off that ended hilariously with each of them snorting tabasco sauce.

Bad news for them

I once got $20 for doing three bumps of pixie stix. Let me tell you, cherry flavored sinus drainage sucks.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Bad news for them

I once got $20 for doing three bumps of pixie stix. Let me tell you, cherry flavored sinus drainage sucks.

I will never get snorting stuff. Just getting water in my nose fucking kills me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The voters will always get confused. It is what voters do. That justification is smokescreen for the actual plan B: That they are going to ensure that the volunteers working the polling locations are confused the the appropriate way.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Bad news for them

I will never get snorting stuff. Just getting water in my nose fucking kills me.

Water doesn't get you super-high, though.

There was a short-lived trend in my high school of snorting lemon crystals on a dare. Lots of fucked up sinus infections that semester.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Bad news for them

There was a short-lived trend in my high school of snorting lemon crystals on a dare. Lots of fucked up sinus infections that semester.

No I totally get snorting drugs. But pixie sticks are literally colored and slightly flavored sugar. That shit will not get you high.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Bad news for them

No I totally get snorting drugs. But pixie sticks are literally colored and slightly flavored sugar. That shit will not get you high.

It will however shred the absolute fuck out of your nasal cavity

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    It did give me one hell of a sugar rush and crash.

Not my finest hour I'll admit and alcohol was involved.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    At least you got money out of it.

I did it on a dare. Shit burns like hell.

I was also in like...1st grade, though.

Take one oversized sex toy, add scheming high school seniors planning a prank, and toss in an all school assembly, and you get instant NSFW hilarity. (Warning, video of staff failing to remove comedically oversized fake walldong, so very NSFW.)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Take one oversized sex toy, add scheming high school seniors planning a prank, and toss in an all school assembly, and you get instant NSFW hilarity. (Warning, video of staff failing to remove comedically oversized fake walldong, so very NSFW.)

I enjoy the teacher trying to block the recording. Like you're going to stop all seven hundred phones in the gym from recording that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/10/us/jayme-closs-missing-wisconsin-girl-found/index.html

Bad News: Jayme Closs, age 13, vanished October 15, and her parents, James and Denise Closs, were found fatally shot in their home near Barron, a town of 3,300 in northwestern Wisconsin.

Gone right: Jayme Closs was found alive yesterday and the police has arrested a suspect.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    If you stole a bar light from a cop car that in Britain, the police would like a word with you:

Oh, and the light too.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "We believe this man can help our investigation."

Brilliant.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter