As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Just jumped back in to check out the Necro, haven't played in a couple of years.

Are there any good Nero builds not based around skills with a 2 minute cooldown? Because that's not what I wanna do.

Mostly the mage builds, with either TragOul/Blood mage or Rathma/Singularity.

The latter uses Simulacrum for pushing, but doesn’t really need to.

Check out Lord Fluffy on YouTube, he has a bunch of options, including stuff like Blood nova, or grim scythe generator.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I was pretty disappointed when I finally got my full Inarius after having used the season gift of Rathma, I dropped like 3 torment levels and was still struggling. Maybe Pestilence or Trag'ouls will be more fun, but hopefully whatever I use for the season will also have a couple of pretty interesting and different options. I'm leaning toward DH or WD.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Season 16 Information:
    Season 16: Season of Grandeur starts 1/18 and is expected to end on 3/17. During that time, seasonal characters can activate 3, 4, and 6 piece set bonuses with one less item (2, 3, or 5). The effect does not stack when wearing nor cubing RoRG, and does not work with Legacy of Nightmares or any other two-item set.

The free sets this season are:
    - IK Barb ( open-ended... HotA, Charge )
    - Seeker Crusader ( hammerdin )
    - Natalya DH ( open-ended... N6M4 sentry hybrid for GRs )
    - Uliana Monk ( seven sided strike & exploding palm )
    - Trag'Oul Necro ( hp-spenders... mainly corpse lance or blood mages )
    - Arachyr Doc ( Firebats, Angry Chicken )
    - Vyr's Wizard ( Archon )

Early Progression Tips & Conquests:
    - Make Journey Chapters 2-4 priority #1 (free set)
    - At 70, go for the most important enchants on your RARE items
    - Save DBs to upgrade rare weapon(s), Use Blood Shards for offhands & non-set armor, then rings
    - (Optional) Do the Challenge Rift after the season starts for a boost of resources.
    Conquests:
    - Speed Demon - Torment X rift in < 2 minutes
    - On a Good Day - 3x gems to level 65+
    - Boss Mode - Torment X boss rush in < 20 minutes
    - Curses - 350+ kills on a cursed chest
    - Years of War - Clear GR55 with 6 different class sets

Chapters 2-4 are priority #1
    Drops, including resources like blood shards and death's breaths, start out real slow and random and only become more common by raising the difficulty. Here is a table of how difficulty level affects monsters, XP, and drop rates. Haedrigs Gift isn't random at all, so focusing on getting your pieces as soon as possible makes a big difference. If you keep an eye on the first four boss objectives, run any 5 bounties, get your cube, and max your artisans it's possible to get your first two pieces the exact moment you hit 70.

At 70, go for the most important enchants on your RARE items
    Enchanting is a great way to improve your damage and toughness, and enchanting rares does not use up your death's breaths, leaving you more DBs to upgrade weapons! You can go up another 1-2 torment levels just by having the right enchants. Certain slots are better for damage, while others are better for toughness:
    Damage enchants on: Helm & offhands ( crit ), Amulets* ( crit hit dmg ), Gloves & Rings* ( crit / chd ), Bracers ( ele dmg % / cc), Weapon ( socket > dmg % )
    Toughness enchants on: Shoulder, Chest, Pants, Boots, and Belt... All res** for Str/Dex classes, Armor for Int classes.

* Once you get legendary gems, sockets become the single most important stat on rings, and eventually amulets. Early on, CHD on neck is just too valuable compared to an unleveled gem.
    ** All Res will not be an option on gear that already has a secondary resist. Hit the '?' to see what else is good, like Life % or a skill damage increase.

Prioritize your blood shards
    Kadala has varying costs and varying results, so it's best to use her to fill in your non-set armor first. For the most part that means offhands, bracers, and a belt.

Replace all your rares before going after specific items. Rings can be and often are worth it, but amulets are really, really not... just wait for one. Never buy weapons!

Note that the challenge rift reward helps with every previous point!
    It's something like 4 million gold, 10 DBs, 15 of each bounty mat, and 450 blood shards... even if you don't do it right away before leveling, it helps SO much in those early chapters.

Also note that this creates concurrent, somewhat-overlapping progression paths. Use resources carefully!
    The Journey gives you your set, enchants boost your stats, DBs get you weapons, and blood shards let you pursue your set-supporting skill boosts. Being careful about the overlap (too many enchants slows down weapons, and vice versa), and learning to prioritize the slots that can boost your skills, makes you more efficient with your resources and speeds up progression.

Doing the Challenge Rift early in the season (after it starts!) is a great way to get a head start. It's something like 4 million gold, 10 DBs, 15 of each bounty mat, and 450 blood shards.

Season 16 class specific advice:
    This is my recommendation for how to use all of your starting resources for each class, including some starting skills, level 1 gambling opportunities, and my opinions on how to spend DBs and shards (after replacing all non-Neck rares).
    Barbarian:
    Free set: Immortal King's Call
    Skills boosted: General purpose. Call of the Ancients - Together as One increases your toughness, Wrath of the Berserker - Insanity for more damage.

Lvl 1 gambling: Can get Band of Might for toughness, or bracers to make use of Slam/Hammer damage.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Shoulders if you want to use Furious Charge, Bracers if you want to use Hammer of the Ancients. Wait on belts: You probably won't even need one because you'll already get the IK belt.

Death's Breath priority: 2H Polearms for Standoff (Furious Charge) or 2H Mighty Weapons for Gavel of Judgement (Hammer of the Ancients). If HotA, cube the hammer and start using fast 1h weapons, while trying to get Istvan's Paired Blades (1h swords).
    Crusader:
    Free set: Seeker of the Light
    Skills boosted: Blessed Hammer

Lvl 1 gambling: Shields for Hammer damage, bracers for resource management.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Lvl 70 versions of the above. Save Frydehr's (Condemn shield) if you get one.

Death's Breath priority: Depends on how lucky you feel. You're more likely to get the 1h flail for blessed hammer, but Faithful Memory (2h sword) can have more of an impact. Save Blade of Prophecy (Condemn 2h sword if you get one).
    Demon Hunter:
    Free set: Natalya's Vengeance
    Skills boosted: General purpose. Requires a ranged weapon and frequent casting of Rain of Vengeance.

Lvl 1 gambling: Wraps of Clarity bracers for toughness, Hellcat Waistguard for grenades
    Lvl 70 gambling: Get a skill boosting quiver and use that to get started. Bracers for Wraps of Clarity / Nemesis. Then you'll start going for other sets, along with belts for the flavors of Marauders (Zoey's Secret) or Impale (Chain of Shadows), and the relevant quiver (Bombardier's / Holy Point / Dead Man's).

Death's Breath priority: 2h Xbow for Manticore (sentries), 2h Bow for Yang's (Multishot), and/or 1h dagger for Karlei's (Impale). Dagger is a decent contender for first upgrade because it's a 50/50 shot between Impale or Fan of Knives.

*Discipline*: If going for Unhallowed Multishot, Discipline is extremely important. Use the Skill Preparation - Invigoration, and enchant 9-12 disc on your cloak, bow, and quiver. Aim for 80-85 disc, and keep it topped off... the damage is based on current disc, not max.
    Monk:
    Free set: Uliana's Stratagem
    Skills boosted: Seven-Sided Strike and Exploding Palm.

Lvl 1 gambling: Crudest boots if you intend to play Inna's or Sunwuko Wave of Light, otherwise definitely Gungdo gear for exploding palm chains.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Bracers if you still need gungdo gear, and spirit guards doesn't hurt. Belts for Bind of the Lost (toughness from SSS). Lefebvre's (shoulders) with Cyclone Strike is nice for toughness and gathering monsters.

Death's Breath priority: Daibos Daibos Daibos. You'll definitely need fists too (Lion's Claw & Fist of Az..) but the set is going to feel super clunky without Flow of Eternity extracted as your cube's weapon power.
    Necromancer:
    Skills boosted: Life spenders and healing skills (including blood rush when passing through monsters).

Lvl 1 gambling: Rings - Circle of Nailuj doublecasts mages, so it's great for leveling and necessary if you want to use Blood Mages.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Phylacteries, Rings, Belts. Get any legendary phylactery just to have the higher damage. Dayntee's Binding belt if you are lacking toughness, but the Circle of Nailuj and Krysbin's Sentence rings are both crucial for your damage. Tasker and Theo (gloves) if using mages, Corpsewhisper Pauldrons (shoulders) if you like Corpse Lance builds.

Death's Breath priority: 1h Scythes, followed by 2h. TragOul's Fang is good, Scythe of the Cycle with Bone Armor for mages. Switch to 2h Scythes for Reilena's Shadowhook, then get +Max Essence from paragon, the passive, and weapon+offhand enchants if you can. With both weapons, go for rings.
    Witch Doctor:
    Free set: Spirit of Arachyr
    Skills boosted: Firebats for GRs, Locust Swarm or Hex in torments

Lvl 1 gambling: nothing really available.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Mojo just to have one, Vile Hive if you plan to stick with it. Lakumba's bracers for toughness. Ring of Emptiness and/or Bakuli Jungle Wraps (belt) if staying fore firebats, otherwise go for Jade or Helltooth sets. Jade: Quetzalcoatl mask. Helltooth gargs: Mask of Jeram, Tasker of Theo (gloves), Short Man's Finger (ring).

Don't necessarily go for Manajuma's ( knife + mojo set ), but if you get both you can make a very fast Hex-Angry Chicken build with the Grave Injustice passive and/or In-geom as your cubed weapon.

Death's Breath priority: Sacred Harvester (ceremonial knife) boosts damage, and also toughness when paired with Lakumba's bracers. Once you have that, DBs can help you get the rings and masks.
    Wizard:
    Free set: Vyr's Amazing Arcana
    Skills boosted: Archon.

Lvl 1 gambling: Ashnagarr's bracers, but you're going to want a level 70 pair anyway so...
    Lvl 27-34 gambling: Wait what? Ya... wizards can benefit so much in this range that it gets it's own note. 27 for Manald Heal ring if you want to fry stuff with lightning, 30 for the Swami if you want to play Archon, 33 for Etched Sigil if you want to channel endless meteors, and 34 for Halo of Karini if you like not dying. All of these are harder to get at 70, so it can even be worth it to make an alt just to get them.
    Lvl 70 gambling: The Swami (wiz hat) is absolutely necessary, the set feels terrible without it. Focus on that, then probably Fazula's belt for an all around boost and obsidian ring of the zodiac for resetting archon.

Death's Breath priority: THE SWAMI. Ahem... after that I dunno that I'd throw DBs at rings in this case, unless you're super invested in Archon. You'll also need to dump some DBs into enchants because you need CDR all over the place.

If you want to end up with one of the channeling or frozen orb builds instead... Deathwish sword and Etched Sigil orb for the former, Unstable Scepter wand and Triumvirate orb for the latter. You can even pretend that's your build when outside archon (thanks to Swami's buff) until you have Tal's / Firebird's / LoN.

So who has the best/easiest start in Season 16?
    - Hammerdin might be the fastest "run and done" journey. Doesn't need much.
    - IK Barb and Nat DH are open-ended, can use Sage's, and lead to strong combos.
    - Blood Mage Necro and Arachyr Doc are better than they get credit for.
    - Archon Wiz and Uliana Monk can be clunky without their key items, but have great alternatives.

Of course, that's just for starting out, and is not meant to be an assessment of the entire season. Rhykker's tier list is better for estimating GR potential, and also pretty good for seeing what other sorts of builds are out there.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I'll probably go DH, Nats set dungeon is so easy, and the farm across to UE shouldn't be too hard.

Vyrs is a close contender. Yeah, gearing up vyrs is a little more work, but god damn, manald heal lightning archon just melts EVERYTHING up to 80s, and that was before the buffs.

Great write up though Noggin, well done.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    thinkin about playing a WD with intent to go to jade, hmm

what does the star next to builds on the tier list mean?

Star means it's a new build (or forgotten build) that is now relevant due to the buffs.

^ means they moved up one spot, double ^ is 2 spots up, triple is 3 spots up, same goes in reverse.

Looking at S tier, #4 DMO frozen orb was in his A tier for last season, but with the buffs is now S tier so only got one ^.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So sounds like I should go Crusader next season for my best shot at getting a stash slot (keeping in mind very casual play)? Thanks, Noggin!

Edit:
    Seeker of the Light

The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 2000% Blessed Hammer damage to 12000%

Does this mean Hammerder is getting a nearly 6x damage buff?

forty on
    Arachyr -> Jade was extremely tempting, even after just playing it in August... but it’s been longer since I played DH.

Jade will be free in April, if that factors in for anyone.

And ya, Seeker is almost 6x more damage. There are better builds for sure, but it’s great for free.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I got a mysterious package today. Opened it hoping it was not a mail bomb and was surprised that it was the winnings from the D3 loot contest. To be honest, we were guessing that it was the loot since it came from Southern California. It was larger than a pin though. So here is what I won.
    No it was not a Legendary weapon.
    A LED Diablo figure!

D3_loot_1.jpg
    D3_loot_2.jpg
    D3_loot_3.jpg
    D3_loot_4.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I got a mysterious package today. Opened it hoping it was not a mail bomb and was surprised that it was the winnings from the D3 loot contest. To be honest, we were guessing that it was the loot since it came from Southern California. It was larger than a pin though. So here is what I won.
    I don't know about the rest of the thread, but I have been waiting for this post for a long time!

forty wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of the thread, but I have been waiting for this post for a long time!

Thanks, me too!

I actually wondered what the heck was going on back in December since I never heard anything from Blizzard after replying (and they saying that I should hear back soon). Then checked the Internet and discovered nobody heard anything (and this was a few days after Christmas). So was a bit nervous that I didn't qualify and they wouldn't send me anything.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Last night was my first time trying out the Darkening of Tristram thing. Is it just the entirety of Diablo 1, cause that's fuckin awesome. I remember bosses like The Butcher and Leoric being mandatory to progress further into the labyrinth, and not optional bosses you had to seek out, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I haven't done the event. Is it sticking around for a bit? I want to do it, but I want to wait until the season starts.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo3/22855173/the-darkening-of-tristram-returns-january-3

Ends on January 31 at 4PM PST.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Last night was my first time trying out the Darkening of Tristram thing. Is it just the entirety of Diablo 1, cause that's fuckin awesome. I remember bosses like The Butcher and Leoric being mandatory to progress further into the labyrinth, and not optional bosses you had to seek out, though.

I never played the original. But read it is the first 16 levels.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yep it's all of diablo 1's labyrinth disconnected from its story and jammed into diablo 3, more or less

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's really nothing like Diablo 1, it's a D3 dungeon loosely inspired by D1's campaign. It's a fun little easter egg but I wish they had made it a special game mode with gameplay tweaks of some sort to resemble D1.

Well it's got like a CRT filter, the walk animation is the same, and it's got the old sound effects. It's a pretty rad approximation. Had a big dumb smile on my face the whole time playing it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    It's technically 16 floors (plus a few side areas) but it's really a heavily abridged version of the D1 experience.

Also, for the love of god... what can I do to make Monk not super boring?

Since I'm starting fresh on Switch, I'm going through and maxing out all the classes again. Crusader and Necro done, decided to just get Monk over with and I'm on the verge of just dropping it. Such a boring class. Trying to level up through bounties, and it took 15 to 20 minutes just to kill Leoric. Maybe less, but it felt like an hour spent just slowly whittling his health bar down.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

You didn't actually have to fight The Butcher or Leoric in the original(in fact you could get a game that didn't spawn either). Ogden's Sign and the Warlord of Blood are the only 2 randomized quests that are close to mandatory due to them having the stairs leading to the next floor being placed in their quest location but I am pretty sure you can still reach it with a Teleport spell.

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well it's the armor I wanted for the Crusader and the wings are a bonus
    Earning that stuff with my see saw of hell and sadness of work will be a chore

Since I'm starting fresh on Switch, I'm going through and maxing out all the classes again. Crusader and Necro done, decided to just get Monk over with and I'm on the verge of just dropping it. Such a boring class. Trying to level up through bounties, and it took 15 to 20 minutes just to kill Leoric. Maybe less, but it felt like an hour spent just slowly whittling his health bar down.

I only remember playing the monk a few times and think I went for the set/weapons/build where you have an army of clones to do your dirty work. Or was it a bell thing you dropped all the time? I honestly can't remember...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Boring or not, he shouldn't be weak. What difficulty are you on? Hard is generally best for leveling. Though if you're doing boss bounties at level 1 or something that's gonna be slow.

Get spirit regen from skills and passives (air ally, sweeping wind - inner storm, etc...), spend some blood shards at level 1 for crudest boots (double allies)... and murder things with lashing tail kick.

Or slap a huge ruby in your monk's weapon(s) and laugh forever.

Or try to do Ulianas build and be amazed at how fast you can die! Then wonder how people climb to 90s with Ulianas. WTF

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    @Septus sorry if that was a random game lol, I've not grouped up on switch before and I have no idea how to chat. You caught me mid elite farming of the Tristram event for that cheevo right before bed! Hop in anytime though, the spin to win is happy to murder things :biggrin:

96058.png?1619393207
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    @Septus sorry if that was a random game lol, I've not grouped up on switch before and I have no idea how to chat. You caught me mid elite farming of the Tristram event for that cheevo right before bed! Hop in anytime though, the spin to win is happy to murder things :biggrin:

No problem, I haven't used chat either, and I needed to kill Diablo as well.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I’m getting Switch version today sometime. My code is 4133 1546 2720

(I added everyone from the list upthread, so accept request from Thera pls)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think this season I'm going to get up to some Wiz Biz

akjak wrote: »

The random nemesis invasions are awesome (though sometimes poorly timed!). I also recently discovered that killing those guys (I think) gives gifts you can send to people, though I have no idea what's in them.

96058.png?1619393207
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    edit: whoops wrong thread

KalTorak on
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

The random nemesis invasions are awesome (though sometimes poorly timed!). I also recently discovered that killing those guys (I think) gives gifts you can send to people, though I have no idea what's in them.

There's a random legendary in every gift. HOWEVER, you don't get gifts in Seasons.

There's a random legendary in every gift. HOWEVER, you don't get gifts in Seasons.

Ahhhh, that would explain why I've suddenly started getting them.

96058.png?1619393207
    They should start the next season today.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Should I have seen some gems yet? I’m level 15 and none have dropped. My Leoric’s crown is sad

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Usually no. I don’t know the exact level they start dropping, but you’re definitely close.

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    @noggin I really appreciate the guide for S16! Does anyone have thoughts on the best two-class combo for GR pushing?

Via the Switch, I finally got one of my regular gaming friends into D3 and last season was our first. He rolled Monk and I tried Necromancer since I never had the expansion on 360 or X1. We may not have optimized correctly for two but it didn't feel like we complimented each other super well.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Is there a good reason to play a non-Seasonal character?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet

No*.

*your seasonal characters cannot access your non-seasonal stash until the season is over and those characters are converted into non-season characters. There are some side things that are disabled in-season (like the legendary rewards from nemesis gifts). Season characters are also segregated from non-season characters for multiplayer, so if your friend is faffing around on an old character rather than a new season one you can't play together. Generally though you should always be playing a season character when the seasons are open.

Farming Cheevos (though I guess you can do that in season too)?

96058.png?1619393207
This discussion has been closed.