As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERS

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm honestly surprised they've never done a Pokemon only smash spinoff

I think this too, but I also know exactly why. I look at Pokken with its 21 distinct fighters and look at the 900-odd Pokedex and it feels wrong. If you were doing a Pokemon only game the only reason you'd do it is for maximum representation, but that's going to take a hell of a lot of dev time for a product that directly competes with one of your marquee titles. Only way I could see it happening is if they planned another near-decade-long Smash fallow period and used Pokesmash to bridge the gap.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I've had this thought about so many of these franchises

You could get damn good fighting game rosters out of Pokemon, or Mario, or Zelda, or Fire Emblem, or Kirby...
    *blink blink*

probably less good than you might imagine.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gundi wrote: »

You could get damn good fighting game rosters out of Pokemon, or Mario, or Zelda, or Fire Emblem, or Kirby...
    *blink blink*

What wouldn't work about a Fire Emblem fighting game? The series has literally dozens of fully promoted classes before you even get into the unique lords or the manaketes/taguel/laguz, all of which serve really different purposes and could have vastly different and different-feeling movesets

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I like Wario being good because I think he might only be bullshit if you really know what you're doing with him and everyone else playing him is a free win. He has next to no range and is another "you need to reliably land back air to accomplish things" character.

that last part is not entirely true

his fair and nair are incredible for pressure and I think if he gets both hits on nair it sets you up to get hit by some real bad-for-your-health followups like up air or maybe up tilt > waft at certain percentages

his shoulder tackle is back as a dash attack and its also pretty dangerous

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I like Wario being good because I think he might only be bullshit if you really know what you're doing with him and everyone else playing him is a free win. He has next to no range and is another "you need to reliably land back air to accomplish things" character.

that last part is not entirely true

his fair and nair are incredible for pressure and I think if he gets both hits on nair it sets you up to get hit by some real bad-for-your-health followups like up air or maybe up tilt > waft at certain percentages

his shoulder tackle is back as a dash attack and its also pretty dangerous

It’s really surprising that it took them this long to make that his dash attack. Looking at Wario Land should have made that an obvious pick.

Enlong on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    part of why I dropped him was when they took his shoulder tackle away from fsmash in brawl but then just left it off his movelist

its his signature thing! I was so genuinely upset

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png

*blink blink*

What wouldn't work about a Fire Emblem fighting game? The series has literally dozens of fully promoted classes before you even get into the unique lords or the manaketes/taguel/laguz, all of which serve really different purposes and could have vastly different and different-feeling movesets
    but most of the (humanoid) classes are very functionally similar. You got your sword folks, your lance folks, your axe folks. You got horses, pegasi, wyverns. You got mages and sages. Archers. Thieves. You'd have to basically make all of the movesets from complete scratch. (which I mean you could)

And the lords? I mean most of the lords are real samey, both in their build and archetype and even aesthetics. Like, even the ones that are just in this game feel a bit same-y, you put like a dozen of em in and almost all of them are just gonna fade into the crowd. Individually they (or at least most of them) work well but the more you put them together the less interesting they each get individually.

You could do it, but it'd be a lot harder than the other four franchises you mentioned. Kirby, Zelda, and Mario have wild and unique characters/enemies for days and Pokemon is just on a league of its own for possibilities.

edited January 2019
    I mean, building movesets from scratch would kind of be the point of a Fire Emblem fighting game, wouldn't it? I don't see any reason the different classes of fighter in Fire Emblem (or individual characters, if you wanted to use someone like Nephenee alongside Ephraim, for example) wouldn't be at least as different from each other as characters in, say, Soul Calibur

Hell if you were designing around them you could probably make a game that's nothign but lords, even accounting for the first half of the series having all the lords be so samey

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    think of the disjoints you would unleash upon the world

do you know not what powers you are consorting with?

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I mean, building movesets from scratch would kind of be the point of a Fire Emblem fighting game, wouldn't it? I don't see any reason the different classes of fighter in Fire Emblem (or individual characters, if you wanted to use someone like Nephenee alongside Ephraim, for example) wouldn't be at least as different from each other as characters in, say, Soul Calibur

Hell if you were designing around them you could probably make a game that's nothign but lords, even accounting for the first half of the series having all the lords be so samey

So what I'm hearing is that we can expect to see Fire Emblem Warriors covered on the Book of Mudora?

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Did Pokken get a switch port? Its mre a 3d thing but still exists!!

Also greninja might be the right amount of speed and power for me im digging this purple frog

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    Beat World of Light.
    That whole final battle sequence was incredibly strong.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    You know, I could make a fair guess as to who the most played characters are at the moment, but I wonder who the least played ones are.

Like I'm sure Pac Man is not popular, Duck Hunt isn't popular, let's see some others that I'd guess from personal experience are among the least popular for people to play...
    -Wii Fit Trainer
    -Lucario
    -Greninja
    -Toon Link (mostly because most people seem to like one of the other two links better)
    -Ice Climbers
    -Bowser Jr

Like I've played over 500 games (an admittedly small sample size) but I've seen 0 Toon Links and 0 Ice Climbers and only one of each of the others.

edit: oh man Olimar! I forgot to include him so he

Also greninja might be the right amount of speed and power for me im digging this purple frog

It did. I gave the demo a shot but didn't care for it. I could see it scratching that itch for some people though.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular

it did.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Enlong wrote: »
    What happens is that in Chapter 5, Pandora tries to create an evil Pit for Medusa’s army using a relic called the Mirror of Truth. However, either because Pit cracked the mirror before it could finish creating Dark Pit, or because he’s just too good, Dark Pit isn’t loyal to Medusa at all, and he’s not evil either. He manifests Pit’s darker emotions, such as a shocking amount of bitterness at always doing Palutena’s bidding, but he also despises Medusa and her evil schemes, same as Pit.

He has an obligatory stint as a boss a few times (he doesn’t like Pit’s yes-man routine at all) but he helps Pit get into the Underworld to fight Medusa, and eventually realizes that continuing to antagonize Pit is something he can’t do, because they’re connected. Ultimately, he lands in an awkward position where he’s not Pit’s friend, but he’s not his enemy, and will help out when there’s a threat like Hades stirring shit.

Also, he’s just as much of a goofball as Pit, but he tries really hard not to admit that he is, which is funny in its own way.

So wait. Dark Pit is just Metaknight but without a mask?

And I guess he's younger than the protag rather than older but still.

Nah, Metaknight is way more serious than Dark Pit. Dark Pit is just a teenager trying to rebel, but because he's made from Pit, he sucks at the whole rebel thing.

Like, can you imagine Metaknight spontaneously joining Kirby for a bout of Sentai posing and heroic speechifying, unprompted. Because that's a thing Dark Pit does with Pit. And yes, they're both roughly as wonderfully cheesy.

(Seriously, Ki Icaus Uprising is SO good guys)

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    So world of light
    So on the third map do i just need to beat all battles on both sides or is there something else to do for the best ending ?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    metaknight and dedede dress up as santa together to sneak into kirby's house and leave him presents on christmas eve

BahamutZERO.gif
    So world of light
    So on the third map do i just need to beat all battles on both sides or is there something else to do for the best ending ?
    Yeah if you do every single fight it should even out. It'll also let you go for the other endings if you want without having to max out light or dark.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I've been trying to get a living dex of spirits.
    Don't do it. This way lies madness.
    One of them is Dracula who seems to be only available through World of Light. All the way near the end of it. And he's enhanceable so that means you've got to get him twice. Ugh.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Wouldn't a Fire Emblem fighting game pretty much be Soul Calibur?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Wouldn't a Fire Emblem fighting game pretty much be Soul Calibur?

Sort of? I'd expect bows and magic and mounts. Also more clothing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Metaknight mostly seems like he just wants more power to protect the galaxy. The comparison to Vergil is actually super apt. (can you imagine Kirby with Vergil hair it'd be amazing)

And then my take on Metaknight's character is that he realizes that Kirby is actually a lot stronger than him so now he sometimes picks fights with Kirby to make sure Kirby is staying up to snuff to face galactic terrors. Also he gets real annoyed at how lackadaisical and relaxed Kirby is...

wait is Devil May Cry just a rip off of Kirby?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well when you defeat Metaknight in adventure Kirby does recall his long lost brother in a chilling flashback

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    my god, they should have sent a poet.

anybody wanna smash?

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    my god, they should have sent a poet.

6zjfm9f01a75.jpeg
    The auto-translation is already pretty poetic.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i cleared the 9.9 classic thing and it was annoying as all hell

i used k rool since his mode is relatively easy and the first couple times i choked right on the end at the final boss

first time i cleared it without dying i had a bad couple first fights and ended up finishing at 9.8

then like, four times afterwards i got absolutely fuckin' crushed by the ridiculous DK CPU towards the end that would just combo me for 75 and space everything perfectly and parry all my shit

the ended up having a good run on the previous fights, DK SDed, and cracked 9.9 before the last boss, which meant i could use a ticket when i inevitably fucked up on the last 5% of his health bar

i think ike is probably the easiest guy to do 9.9 with. his fsmash deals with everything cause the ai is dumb.

i think ike is probably the easiest guy to do 9.9 with. his fsmash deals with everything cause the ai is dumb.
    does he have any rough fights

some of the other routes have gnarly stuff like 3v1s and the double hands as the boss

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got 9.9 with Snake without even realizing

Shorty wrote: »
    i couldn't get the 5.0 one with snake

the explosive item gimmick screwed me every single attempt

Kirby was my accidental 9.9

dN0T6ur.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I did 9.8 with Dedede. Next best was Young Link at 9.4 I think.

Elendil wrote: »

pro tip: you do not need to start at 5.0 classic and finish without dying.

you just need to finish at minimum 5.0 classic without dying.

Elendil wrote: »

pro tip: you do not need to start at 5.0 classic and finish without dying.

you just need to finish at minimum 5.0 classic without dying.

oh i know

i'm just really bad at snake and ended up being real prone to being blindsided by RNG bob-ombs

Oh I didn't realize Ridley has three jumps. That helps make up for the recovery a little bit.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    If you want an easy 9.9, do ROBs. You can cheese every single one of his fights with nothing but side B, and his final fight is only against Galleom.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    i have reached smash zen

i no longer care about how garbage i am

This discussion has been closed.