As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This weekend I'm finally going to get to begin the Pandemic Legacy campaign that I bought in October

I don't even know what's in the FIRST box! what if it makes it an entirely new game! what if it's just about public transportation now!

It is so much fun. I'm debating whether we should get another copy of it after we finish the season, get season 2, or just base pandemic. I assume thered values in a second play through

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Whoa, just gotta stick my head in here about getting Food Chain Magnate... it's way easier to learn and play than I was led to believe. Super fun, the first time in probably a couple years that a 120+ minute game has been added to my collection. Something to be commended about a system that makes immediate and intuitive sense. Even my wife liked it, and she hasn't played a longer game in ages.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Splotter games are all over the place for fiddliness and complexity, but if you ever get the chance, The Great Zimbabwe is also highly accessible and incredibly interesting. It's also generally much shorter, easily falling into like, 45-90 minutes post-learning games.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    How do y’all typically have the best luck flattening out your game boards? Mine pretty much all don’t stay flat on the table, Root and Pandemic being pretty bad offenders

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    How do y’all typically have the best luck flattening out your game boards? Mine pretty much all don’t stay flat on the table, Root and Pandemic being pretty bad offenders

A quick, small fold in the opposite direction usually flattens them. I've had this with both Pandemic Legacy seasons and I fixed it by giving the boards a little "reverse flex" stretch when setting up.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

A quick, small fold in the opposite direction usually flattens them. I've had this with both Pandemic Legacy seasons and I fixed it by giving the boards a little "reverse flex" stretch when setting up.

I used to do this until I ripped a board in half. Now I recommend weighing them down ;)

• Options
    Splotter games are all over the place for fiddliness and complexity, but if you ever get the chance, The Great Zimbabwe is also highly accessible and incredibly interesting. It's also generally much shorter, easily falling into like, 45-90 minutes post-learning games.

I've heard a couple of people describe FCM as a development of the ideas of The Great Zimbabwe. Is the latter different enough, besides in game length?

jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

I used to do this until I ripped a board in half. Now I recommend weighing them down ;)

Look at the incredible hulk over here. Nat 20 on the strength check.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Whoa, just gotta stick my head in here about getting Food Chain Magnate... it's way easier to learn and play than I was led to believe. Super fun, the first time in probably a couple years that a 120+ minute game has been added to my collection. Something to be commended about a system that makes immediate and intuitive sense. Even my wife liked it, and she hasn't played a longer game in ages.

Splotter games aren’t incredibly heavy as a rule, but they are very mean. A bad game of FCM will quickly start to feel like you aren’t even playing the game. If there’s a skill gap between players and no one’s giving advice things are going to go badly.

Antiquity is an even better example of this because it’s fairly multiplayer solitaire, but the game itself is trying to kill you.

• Options

I've heard a couple of people describe FCM as a development of the ideas of The Great Zimbabwe. Is the latter different enough, besides in game length?

I never would have thought they were particularly similar if you hadn't made me try and approach it from this angle, so that in and of itself probably answers the question.
    In a very abstract sense, both games have perfect information setups, and a player-driven supply/demand mechanism at their cores. However the economies in them are very different, being that TGZ almost always has you paying other players (or yourself) for nearly everything. There's none of the organizational hierarchy stuff to decide your actions for the turn - you just take 1 of 3 standard actions. TGZ also has a wonderful system where you can freely take ... uh ... unique cards that give you fairly powerful abilities, but doing so increases the number of points you need to win the game, which FCM doesn't really emulate at.

I own FCM. I do not own TGZ. I would like to own both.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular

I was totally thinking Incredible Hulk when I read this.

Dude, you gotta show a little tenderness. Show a little love. This is yoga, not tearing open a bag of Fritos.

• Options
    No one's as gentle as me. Back bend long enough and something's going to rip no matter how gentle you are.

• Options
    No one's as gentle as me. Back bend long enough and something's going to rip no matter how gentle you are.

Say that again but... slower.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular

In the context wouldn't this be a Nat 1?

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    JustTee wrote: »

You haven’t busted the hinges off of many doors into a room full of hungry owl bears, I guess.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JustTee wrote: »

This is Task Resolution vs. Conflict Resolution boiled down to its simplest example.

• Options

I never would have thought they were particularly similar if you hadn't made me try and approach it from this angle, so that in and of itself probably answers the question.
    In a very abstract sense, both games have perfect information setups, and a player-driven supply/demand mechanism at their cores. However the economies in them are very different, being that TGZ almost always has you paying other players (or yourself) for nearly everything. There's none of the organizational hierarchy stuff to decide your actions for the turn - you just take 1 of 3 standard actions. TGZ also has a wonderful system where you can freely take ... uh ... unique cards that give you fairly powerful abilities, but doing so increases the number of points you need to win the game, which FCM doesn't really emulate at.

I own FCM. I do not own TGZ. I would like to own both.

Well, you've certainly put TGZ on my radar.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Is Legendary the best Marvel board game for a group of people?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Week away with family has been fun. Played a bunch of games and there was even a surprise game brought by a guest.

Terraforming Mars is pretty fun. I thought it'd be fairly dry and long but it was quite fun and felt quick. And it seems pretty replayable too, judging by the late game cards we didn't get to play early on and the early game cards we didn't get to play later on. Your mind comes alive thinking of those missed potential moves and how they'd have changed the game.

I've also bought Jaipur on a whim on the trip into town. I'm cautious about 1v1 games but hey, worst case scenario I can probably sell/gift it to someone.

My other option in the shop was the Coup sequel. I've had my eye on that for a while and I'm pretty desperate to try out a Coup that doesn't have the OP Duke. We love Coup but gosh the Duke really is the best card and it tends to make games fairly repetitive as a result. However I am trying to save money so I didn't buy it. Something for another time.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Week away with family has been fun. Played a bunch of games and there was even a surprise game brought by a guest.

Terraforming Mars is pretty fun. I thought it'd be fairly dry and long but it was quite fun and felt quick. And it seems pretty replayable too, judging by the late game cards we didn't get to play early on and the early game cards we didn't get to play later on. Your mind comes alive thinking of those missed potential moves and how they'd have changed the game.

I've also bought Jaipur on a whim on the trip into town. I'm cautious about 1v1 games but hey, worst case scenario I can probably sell/gift it to someone.

My other option in the shop was the Coup sequel. I've had my eye on that for a while and I'm pretty desperate to try out a Coup that doesn't have the OP Duke. We love Coup but gosh the Duke really is the best card and it tends to make games fairly repetitive as a result. However I am trying to save money so I didn't buy it. Something for another time.

Jaipur is one of the best 2p games, imo. You won't regret it.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Are they huge Marvel fans and do they like decks that don't necessary have a single theme?

It's fun as a cooperative deck-builder, but it's not like you get to say, "I'll play Wolverine". More like, "I'll buy one wolverine and one Spiderman this round."

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Yes

• Options
    Interestingly, Thanos Rising does the same thing where you assemble teams out of whatever pops up.
    Marvel is kind of overdue for a board game that's ... *cough* ... more fun ...? I don't mean that in a way to be mean to anyone who really likes Legendary, but it's kinda crazy they haven't tried to tap the money behind those IPs more effectively, especially with the popular appeal of the movies bringing even some more obscure names into the foreground.

• Options
    5 Minute Marvel looks like it's maybe kind of okay? The art looks great, at least

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I read positive stuff about that new Marvel Strike Teams game, if a 1 vs Many tactical dungeon crawl skirmish kinda thing appeals. Personally I don't like or have a group for 1 v Many games so.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    5 Minute Marvel looks like it's maybe kind of okay? The art looks great, at least

I bought 5 Minute Marvel for my son for Christmas. Will report back whenever we finally manage to play it.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    5 minute Dungeon was alright. Not something I'd run out and buy but it wasn't unenjoyable. Haven't tried the marvel version, but I'd imagine it's similar.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gugong Deluxe edition arrived on my doorstep yesterday. Man, its gorgeous. The wooden travel tokens and decrees are so damn extra, I would have been happy with cardboard just to lighten the box weight. The cards came with their own sleeves, tough enough that I can shuffle like the sleeves aren't there (something I haven't mastered with Arboretum, Clank, etc). The back of the manual has a "what this bit means" chart for quick translation (something you have to go to BGG for in other games such as Great Western Trail). And of course, the tray makes setup and teardown lighting quick. I'm very exited to play this!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, honestly I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened before by now.

FFG announces Journeys in Middle Earth.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Huh, honestly I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened before by now.

FFG announces Journeys in Middle Earth.

#1 - Boardgames, $100, economy, etc...

#B - Ooh, this look interesting!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Is this just LOTR skin on Descent?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I was thinking it sounded more like LotR on top of Mansions 2E, which I would be super down with.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Is this just LOTR skin on Descent?

No (note the hex-tiles and different base mechanics), but it looks like it was probably their jump-off along with Imperial Assault

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Ok, hadn't played either, but after reading more it sounds like they mashed elements of a couple together.
    Love LOTR, but waiting for reviews.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    What it kind of reminds me of is Middle-Earth Quest (which is out of print), due to it's bigger scale, but vastly more modular.

And it looks to drop down to a smaller terrain board when combat breaks out.

And also having a campaign mode.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Played Heaven & Ale. Very interesting game. I did terribly, but I only came last by one point so it's not the worst I guess? Man it is absolutely brutal with 4 players though. No time to do anything, all the good things get taken immediately. Want to play again asap.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    What it kind of reminds me of is Middle-Earth Quest (which is out of print), due to it's bigger scale, but vastly more modular.

And it looks to drop down to a smaller terrain board when combat breaks out.

And also having a campaign mode.

I was thinking Mage Knight!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Our Pandemic Legacy campaign began last night

January
      Both January games ended two turns away from us winning with the disease that can’t be cured spiraling out of control and causing an outbreak chain reaction

The Medic got two scars in two turns as a result, and three cities in Asia are already rioting two games in

We are not doin’ so hot

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      edited January 2019
      It's been far too long since we last played Fog Of Love (last April, BGG informs me ... :( ), but we sat down last night and played We Give It A Year for the first time. It was quite the trip. While I very early on figured out the sort of character I had to play with, the events at play kept creating swing after swing to affirm and challenge them - we agreed how the toilet seat should be left, and then I immediately proposed because that kinda witchcraft is a sign, yo. :P

I had a weirdo author who didn't really understand that he was a weirdo, with an openness to the world and a self-depricating streak in being sure somehow this was too good to be true. This really came to a head in the middle of the second chapter, when I, as the player, literally felt my character was trapped. My traits and characterization precluded a certain type of person - someone I was sure was not happy with how my partner's character had been developing/behaving, and a lot of the options I had had to take along the way had left me with a lot of balanced individual aspects, only meeting my trait needs because of my partner's much more pronounced aspects. All my destiny options felt bad because I wasn't able - via characterization or actual game mechanics - to shoot for either breakup option, I was too unbalanced for self-realization, and I'd repeatedly been battered such that any of the more "equal status" relationship options were totally off the table. The only thing I had a realistic shot at was Unconditional Love, but I didn't feel my character was in a position where they'd have developed any such feelings. So here I am, looking at how this relationship is betraying my sense of self, and that I'm not getting appreciation or affection from my partner who I've stood with through a surprise pre-existing marriage (while we're engaged!) and A SEX CHANGE (Keisha is now Keith, but Arthur doesn't judge - he encouraged them to be their true self), and now I've played the wedding ceremony card and I'm standing at the altar taking A HARD FUCKING MINUTE to figure out "Do I want to go through with this?"

I have never felt so wonderfully torn before playing a board game. The mechanisms of Fog Of Love make it so that even if I don't believe in the relationship, I'm invested in getting the character out of it intact. There is a clawing within a very restricted system to SOMEHOW find an exit so they aren't left dissatisfied with their life. It was claustrophobic, with moments of "Oh? ... OH!" and "Oh ... nooooo ..." as I - as Arthur - tried to figure out where he stood and what this relationship meant to him.

Arthur said "Yes." Shorty after he would drop his first bombshell secret to Keith's numerous ones - a child from a fling long since passed. But Keith accepted this, and bit by bit a steady bond formed as moment after moment the two clicked. It all fell into place as Arthur found ways to be more himself that also left Keith satisfied. A love long held in the shade was given a chance to blossom.
      At the end of our year, Arthur revealed Unconditional Love, while Keith showed Dominance. In a wonderful twist, Arthur met all of his traits and found himself far more satisfied than Keith had anticipated, putting the pair's final satisfaction only 9 steps apart. The irony of Arthur's earlier struggle is that he ultimately found his exit, and through enduring so much of what had been thrown upon him, denied Keith theirs.

While as a person and partner, I want to see my better half's character succeed, within our story I absolutely adored this ending. That through curiosity, love and acceptance, Arthur would not - could not - be dominated.
      This game is so very, very good. <3

ArcticLancer on
    • Options
      I do not understand this game at all. A friend owns it, and wants to see my wife and I attempt a play, but I can't see continuing a game that starts going south like that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    This discussion has been closed.