As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Jesus Christ. I just had a look at that Twitter thread. Some of that shit is no effort at all and there's no reason why it shouldn't have already been done.

I don't want to start a debate on spanking, but getting rid of CCC s. 43 (Call to Action #6) cannot be that difficult with a left-wing majority in Parliament.

Edit: I’m leaving this up to highlight the hope I have in humanity, but @shryke is clearly correct and I’m too much of an idealist.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    treating indigenous people like dirt is, unfortunately, extremely common in all corners of colonizer governments

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    There is also little constituency for indigenous issues. It's a pretty small portion of the population overall (I think just less then 5% as of the last census although it has been growing fast) and they have lower voter participation numbers afaik. And your average non-Aboriginal person doesn't care that much or even know about these issues. "Because it's the right thing to do" is not near as powerful as "because it's what the voters want".

Or basically:
    Jesus Christ. I just had a look at that Twitter thread. Some of that shit is no effort at all and there's no reason why it shouldn't have already been done.

I don't want to start a debate on spanking, but getting rid of CCC s. 43 (Call to Action #6) cannot be that difficult with a left-wing majority in Parliament.

No government wants to start a debate on spanking either. What's the gain for them in taking that fight? And so #6 goes on the backburner.

shryke on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Quit making me look stupid by being logical and correct in the face of my bright-eyed idealism, shryke. :P

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    In unrelated news this is some seriously fucked up shit: https://globalnews.ca/news/4832762/impaired-driving-canada-breath-samples/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNews&fbclid=IwAR39-xlh36C5hEj0LZc0CKebyzjbfjwo9_5F_-8pZtsuy5znoA_cG7GvGRo

This is bad enough with alcohol but considering the legalization of cannabis and the state of our impaired driving tests for it if you're a cannabis user you're essentially in a perpetual state of being able to be arrested if you ever drive a vehicle.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Is that a revision after the legalization of cannabis, or was that something that's been in the works for a while anyway?

• Options
    It's part of Bill C-46 which started prior to legalization. It's a broad impaired driving law so impacts both drugs and alcohol. But considering how the cannabis tests they have now are awful it's a particularly bad situation for a habitual user who would test positive regardless of whether they've recently partaken or not.

It really is a scary law that has so much potential to be abused.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That's what I couldn't find in my previous googling. Thanks.
    It's definitely not great, to put it lightly. :/

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    How the hell does a law like this even exist?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Probably an over-reaching make good from the liberal government to appease those that were anti-legalization.

• Options
    There’s no way that law will stand up in the Supreme Court, but until then there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be burned by it.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm more worried about being the guy slapped with a DUI while stone-sober thus causing me to lose my job and spend a night in jail.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm more worried about being the guy slapped with a DUI while stone-sober thus causing me to lose my job and spend a night in jail.

I smoke every night and need my car for work.... This terrifies me. I am stone cold sober every day but would surely test positive.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I imagine that is the case with most habitual users so now we get to go out there and be Schrodinger's Criminal.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Or while tipsy after having a few beers at home. Having to prove you weren't driving in the past two hours is going to be near impossible for a lot of people.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Or while tipsy after having a few beers at home. Having to prove you weren't driving in the past two hours is going to be near impossible for a lot of people.

Hell, if you like to have a drink when you get home from work, you're now a criminal.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    How could they even prove you were driving?

That law makes no sense.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I feel like this law can't possibly survive a Charter challenge, right?

• Options
    Definitely not. But who wants to be the guinea pig in that situation? You're still doing jail time and probably losing your job.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Wow that sounds fucking stupid

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Definitely not. But who wants to be the guinea pig in that situation? You're still doing jail time and probably losing your job.
    What we need is someone who's thinking of quitting their job. Anyone want to take one for the team?

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Yes, I am... but I mean, I'm going to need a new job after I leave this one.

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »

"Whipping boy for all the unfair laws we want to Charter-challenge" not good enough for you?

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

"Whipping boy for all the unfair laws we want to Charter-challenge" not good enough for you?

With GoFundMe, that could be a legitimate career choice. Every time we raise $50,000 or so, we could challenge a new law. There are probably lawyers out there who'd even work pro bono on a lot of bad laws

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I was about to say to you, Richy, that it doesn't pay well. But then Goon posted and now I'm like...

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ugh, I hate laws like that. Reminds me of the time I was headed home from work to Hitatcu and a RCMP officer pulled us over, claimed to smell pot, and told my first nations co-workers to exit the car I was driving carpooling. Thing was, the place he pulled us over? Surrounded by skunk cabbage. The work we just came from? Construction work, we were all stinky like a locker room after 3 periods of floor hockey. I can't help but feel like a law like this is going to be abused in a way that will hurt the previous subject even more, especially those of us whose houses have a particular stink from living in really humid regions, my bet is on a First Nation person will be the first test case. :(

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    This law will 100% be abused.

Are you non-white? Well damn, I guess 'x' is wrong with your car. Here do this shitty test a lot of people will fail.

• Options
    So the new sex ed curriculum is set to start being taught in Québec. The Québec Catholic Church has reacted by encouraging parents to ask their kids be exempt from those courses, and to teach sexuality at home with the Church's own book. Key insights include "parents should give no more information about sexuality than is strictly needed", "kids that age are more interested in learning about Jesus", and "girls play with dolls more than boys".

In reaction, Québec's new right-wing government has taken the Liberal's proposed new sex-ed curriculum and... reminded everyone it is vital information that must be taught to children in this modern age, and that there are no exemptions "saved for specific exceptional cases such as for kids who suffered serious trauma".

I'm really liking this government so far.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Sigh. If only that could have been done here in Ontario.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    The hell kind of world is it that I’m experiencing right-wing government envy?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    So three years ago Québec Liberals has allowed Uber to operate in three urban areas in the province. The deal included a monopoly for Uber as online carrier. The CAQ, then the opposition party, championed changing this to allow a second company, a Québec startup Uber competitor called Eva, to operate as well.

Now that the CAQ are the government and that the MPP who personally gave the Eva proposal to the Liberals is the Transportation Minister, he.... carried through with his proposal! The Uber deal has been ammeded to allow Eva to operate and compete.

Key differences include that Eva take a smaller cut of fares than Uber thus leaving more money to drivers, and doesn't maintain a central database of customer information like Uber. (I'll remind you that Uber's database was hacked in 2016 and 57M users' information was stolen; a fact Uber immediately tried to cover up by paying the hackers a ransom.)

Not to brag, but I'm really liking this government so far.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Saudi woman fleeing alleged abuse leaves for Canada, Thai official says (cbc link)
    A Saudi asylum seeker who fled alleged abuse from her family departed Thailand today for Canada, according to Thailand's immigration chief.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, boarded a Korean Air flight from Bangkok to Seoul on Friday night local time, immigration chief Surachate Hakpark said. Qunun will later take a connecting flight to Canada.

"Canada has granted her asylum," Surachate told Reuters.

This is good news, and it comes with the additional bonus that Saudi Arabia will likely not be pleased.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    That's excellent. Now if only the government was that willing to risk the wrath of single issue resource sector voters...

The Beav is on point as per usual: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/01/progressive-rcmp-policy-requires-officers-to-recite-land-acknowledgement-before-seizing-indigenous-land/

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I don't know if we have many expats here, but the first Supreme Court decision of the 2019 has arrived: Frank v. Canada was delivered today, and it strikes down sections of the Canada Elections Act that removed the right to vote for expats if they've been out of the country for more than 5 years. The Crown did agree that the sections violated s. 3. of the Charter, but the Court found that the case under s. 1. for a reasonable infringement couldn't be upheld since it failed at the proportionality test (namely, that the consequence was removal of the right to vote which was a unjustifiable consequence).

If you want some context as to why apparently this made it to the Court now, since the 1993 legislation that started all of this wasn't really enforced all that much in the past, well...
    It was loosely enforced until the Conservative government of Stephen Harper, triggering a charter challenge by two Canadians living in the U.S. who were barred from voting in the 2011 election.

Also, beginning the year with yet another Oakes' test is just *chef's kiss*

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Cannabis thread but since this is particularly germane to Canada I opted to post it here.

Last week Cannabis NB laid off a large amount of employees all across the province. If you'd been in a store in the past month or so this probably wouldn't come as a surprise as they have essentially nothing to sell. That said, it's definitely a bad look for the sector.

THAT SAID. This weekend a friend of mine who happens to be a native took me to a cannabis store on one of the reserves. I was blown away. It was essentially the epitome of what I'd like to see in the government stores. In talking with the owner she told me they have over 4000 members and have been doing more business than the local government shop.

There's no way this can last right? I'm not aware of reserves being given special dispensation to enter the market on their own terms. Is this happening in other provinces? I know there are a number of shops open under questionable legality but my understanding was that they were primarily working with medical users. This shop of the reserve was open to everybody and they were selling all sorts of products - edibles, flower, oils, etc.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Cannabis thread but since this is particularly germane to Canada I opted to post it here.

Last week Cannabis NB laid off a large amount of employees all across the province. If you'd been in a store in the past month or so this probably wouldn't come as a surprise as they have essentially nothing to sell. That said, it's definitely a bad look for the sector.

THAT SAID. This weekend a friend of mine who happens to be a native took me to a cannabis store on one of the reserves. I was blown away. It was essentially the epitome of what I'd like to see in the government stores. In talking with the owner she told me they have over 4000 members and have been doing more business than the local government shop.

There's no way this can last right? I'm not aware of reserves being given special dispensation to enter the market on their own terms. Is this happening in other provinces? I know there are a number of shops open under questionable legality but my understanding was that they were primarily working with medical users. This shop of the reserve was open to everybody and they were selling all sorts of products - edibles, flower, oils, etc.

That is not a legal dispensary as you're not allowed to sell or market oils or edibles yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ive heard the same thing about shops on native reserves here in Ontario. Huge numbers of people, lines out the door. Of course we don't even have government sanctioned storefronts yet - its all been through the Ontario Cannabis Store which is online only.

Ontario has really dropped the ball on legalization so far.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I don't know if we have many expats here, but the first Supreme Court decision of the 2019 has arrived: Frank v. Canada was delivered today, and it strikes down sections of the Canada Elections Act that removed the right to vote for expats if they've been out of the country for more than 5 years. The Crown did agree that the sections violated s. 3. of the Charter, but the Court found that the case under s. 1. for a reasonable infringement couldn't be upheld since it failed at the proportionality test (namely, that the consequence was removal of the right to vote which was a unjustifiable consequence).

If you want some context as to why apparently this made it to the Court now, since the 1993 legislation that started all of this wasn't really enforced all that much in the past, well...
    It was loosely enforced until the Conservative government of Stephen Harper, triggering a charter challenge by two Canadians living in the U.S. who were barred from voting in the 2011 election.

Also, beginning the year with yet another Oakes' test is just *chef's kiss*

Interesting for me as an ex-pat. I checked out the Government's web site and it looks like they haven't updated it. I'm also curious if you still need to provide an estimated date for returning to Canada, as (for folk's like me who don't live in countries with a tax treaty) I never "officially" intend to return. I am away for as long as my career dictates.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in Québec, representatives of all four parties are holding a meeting to discuss the idea of creating a specialized court to deal with sex crimes. The idea was proposed recently by a PQ MPP, and was welcomed favourably by all parties. The meeting is between the Justice Minister and the three opposition parties' status of women critics; all four participants are women. If the project ends up being adopted, Québec will be the first province in Canada with this specialized court.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think the heightened quality of the product and the visibility of the numbers that legalization has brought has driven my uncle mad, he will literally not consume any cannabis below 20% THC and dismisses all else as trash weed

To be clear in the past this man has advocated to me the foulest of ditch flowers and most dirtiest hash as quality items

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.