As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh the rewatchables podcast hit off 2019 with a Godfather episode. it was really good! if you enjoy that show/the ringer/bill simmons. and if you don't I understand! but I do.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The Favourite:
    While I don't think either of the pair are completely pure, I found Weisz far more sympathetic than Stone. I think Stone liked the idea of being loved, and had some affection for the queen, but mostly I feel she was just caught up in the game and prestige of it all.

Weisz, on the other hand, seemed to genuinely love the queen. When she stood outside her door telling her that always being honest is love, I think she meant it. I think that, while she may have enjoyed the perks of being the old favorite, she stayed with the queen because she saw her as a dear friend.

Abigail
    You can argue that she was merely fighting to rejoin the nobility, but look at what she lost when her family lost its name: not just her old life, but the protection that brought, and she suffered worst under the people who were supposed to love and protect her. Her age and gender took away any agency she might have, and she was cast into the wilderness as the underage sex slave of a passing drunken gambler.

I don’t think she wanted prestige. She wanted autonomy.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Watched Roma and Star is Born over the weekend.

Liked both. Gaga was a surprisingly good actress, and I didn't realize that was actually Coopers singing voice till later, assumed it was dubbed.

Was very impressed with Roma, the more artsy plot lite time and place movies tend to lose me after a while, but it held me all the way through.

Tempted to go see Bohemian Rhapsody ( lol the globes)while its still in the theaters just for the sound system. Anyone have any opinions on if it is a must do? I have an okay 5.1 system at home.

Feel like I've seen nothing this last year that is going to be getting nominated, and so I'n expecting my must watch grind list to be really long this year.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Re: Bohemian Rhapsody

The music is great, but there's nothing about the audio or video that demands a big screen. I think the performances would work just as well on the small screen, and the audio is just Queen albums. Save your money.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    The Favourite:
    While I don't think either of the pair are completely pure, I found Weisz far more sympathetic than Stone. I think Stone liked the idea of being loved, and had some affection for the queen, but mostly I feel she was just caught up in the game and prestige of it all.

Weisz, on the other hand, seemed to genuinely love the queen. When she stood outside her door telling her that always being honest is love, I think she meant it. I think that, while she may have enjoyed the perks of being the old favorite, she stayed with the queen because she saw her as a dear friend.

Abigail
    You can argue that she was merely fighting to rejoin the nobility, but look at what she lost when her family lost its name: not just her old life, but the protection that brought, and she suffered worst under the people who were supposed to love and protect her. Her age and gender took away any agency she might have, and she was cast into the wilderness as the underage sex slave of a passing drunken gambler.

I think that's a fair read, but I still feel that Abigail was more into the competition and perks of it all than her opponent.

Her desire for autonomy makes sense, though, and heightens the tragedy of the ending. Nobody gets what they want. Abigail is stuck catering to a crazy invalid she doesn't seem to much care for, Anne realizes she lost her best friend and that this capricious opportunist is all she has left, and Weisz (I am bad at names)
    loses a friend she legit loved and also gets chased out of the country.

Sucks to be a woman in 18th century England!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Now I’m kind of upset that I didn’t know The Usual Suspects had two fucking pieces of shit making and starring in it with Kevin Spacey and Brian Singer.
    Re: Bohemian Rhapsody

The music is great, but there's nothing about the audio or video that demands a big screen. I think the performances would work just as well on the small screen, and the audio is just Queen albums. Save your money.

Watch Highlander instead

Same difference

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    The Favourite:

Abigail

I think that's a fair read, but I still feel that Abigail was more into the competition and perks of it all than her opponent.

Her desire for autonomy makes sense, though, and heightens the tragedy of the ending. Nobody gets what they want. Abigail is stuck catering to a crazy invalid she doesn't seem to much care for, Anne realizes she lost her best friend and that this capricious opportunist is all she has left, and Weisz (I am bad at names)
    loses a friend she legit loved and also gets chased out of the country.

Sucks to be a woman in 18th century England!

I completely agree.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    The Favourite:

Yeah, that was the saddest part of the movie
    that their love was genuine

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    As I said to my in laws after the favorite ended
    emma stone’s character is still, in the end, just jerking someone off

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Glass
    Is ok

It is a deconstruction of the superhero genre and does a good job of showing what would happen if superheros were a thing in the real world. But I dunno, I was expecting to go up a gear but it never did.

James Mcavoy is fantastic and I am now sad that this is being released now as his performance will be forgotten by next year's oscars.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hereditary was really good! I took away from it the most important message: never offer home care to an elderly relative, it's always more trouble than you think it will be.

Edit: wait, CITIZEN KANE was a good film? Now I've heard everything.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Citizen Kane is an amazing film. And not just in a 'changed the rules but is now a relic' kind of way, but straight up amazing.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I have to rewatch Citizen Kane; I remember liking it a lot, but it didn't stay with me the way that some other classics (e.g. Sunset Boulevard or Jules et Jim) did. I do remember it feeling fresh, though - IMO it's not like you've seen all these techniques in later films so returning to the grandpappy of them all no longer has the same impact. I recently watched Welles' Touch of Evil for the first time and was struck by how... contemporary the film felt, for want of a better word. It had the old-time actors and the whole black and white thing, and sure, it's dated in some ways (*coughbrownfaceHestoncough*), but in so many others it simply doesn't feel like a product of its era but like something much more fresh and relevant and vibrant. I wouldn't be surprised if I found this as well when rewatching Citizen Kane.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    H
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Skarsgard confirmed as Harkonnen

is that the naked guy from True Blood?

• Options
    Not sure if any of the above is a joke, but from what I can gather they're talking about Stellan "Papa" Skarsgard, the naked Thor dude, not Alexander "Sonny" Skarsgard, the naked True Blood guy. The former will be in Dune as some very fine ruler indeed.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Complain about how they're all old movies or whatever you awful philistines.

That's a solid list, my only change would be to flip Kane and Blade Runner.

Kane was such a revelation for the time, primarily it's use of placing the camera below the level of the actors, something that was pretty much never done before because it would expose the soundstages as having no roofs and make the lighting rigs stick out like a sore thumb. Wells and Toland more or less invented a new visual language and made you feel like you were in the action like the groundlings at the Globe, instead of distant observers like the chorus in an old Greek tragedy.

And having seen Lawrence in a restored 70mm print in 2017, it totally deserves to be at the top of the list. I wanted to have sex with most of it's wide shots.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Get rid of Blade Runner. The only thing it does right is its aesthetics in costume and set design.

Edit: oh I messed up and thought I read best overall. Yeah sure the shot composition was aight.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Best shot films? It feels like iconic moments and memorable location is getting blurred with best shot. I wouldn't even say Apocalypse Now or Godfather would be top 5. I see that 2001 was on the list but at #9, and that should have been way higher.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Best shot films? It feels like iconic moments and memorable location is getting blurred with best shot.

The people who composed the list are literally a guild of cinematographers.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No Kurasawa no sale

• Options

I don't know if my top 5 would look much like that, but it's a solid list regardless. I'll have to save my hot takes for some different list.

TexiKen, make me a list so i can bag on it.

• Options
    It's also a somewhat conservative list, mind you. I love these films and they're gorgeous to look at, but it's basically the equivalent of listing the five best painters and they're all Renaissance artists. But I'd say that's what you always get when you ask a group for the best <xyz>.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    20th Century? Sure.

Citizen Kane
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Rashomon
    Raging Bull

You just got epic dab’d

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    It's also a somewhat conservative list, mind you. I love these films and they're gorgeous to look at, but it's basically the equivalent of listing the five best painters and they're all Renaissance artists. But I'd say that's what you always get when you ask a group for the best <xyz>.

It's an American guild of cinematographers, rather than a worldwide one, so I'd expect some bias towards homegrown films.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    No Kurasawa no sale

Rashomon and Seven Samurai are in the remainder of their list (places 11-100 are not ranked, only listed in order of release).

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah I think I’d probably switch out 2001 or Star Wars or The Shining for Apocalypse Now but other than that the list is pretty airtight. I’m not even that bothered by Apocalypse Now, honestly.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The Top 100 list is very, very good but still omits Raiders and Star Wars, and the only Roger Deakins film on the list is Shawshank Redemption, completely ignoring Barton Fink, Fargo, and The Hudsucker Proxy.

Atomika on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I have to rewatch Citizen Kane; I remember liking it a lot, but it didn't stay with me the way that some other classics (e.g. Sunset Boulevard or Jules et Jim) did. I do remember it feeling fresh, though - IMO it's not like you've seen all these techniques in later films so returning to the grandpappy of them all no longer has the same impact. I recently watched Welles' Touch of Evil for the first time and was struck by how... contemporary the film felt, for want of a better word. It had the old-time actors and the whole black and white thing, and sure, it's dated in some ways (*coughbrownfaceHestoncough*), but in so many others it simply doesn't feel like a product of its era but like something much more fresh and relevant and vibrant. I wouldn't be surprised if I found this as well when rewatching Citizen Kane.

The thing about Kane that strikes me every time I watch it isn't any one thing it does particularly well but that it does so many different things.

Huge arena shots, incredible close-ups, deep shots, long shots, reverse shots, montage, in media res, it does more kinds of things than most modern films do and it does them all very very well. The other thing is the way the characters talk, they repeat themselves, they take a second to consider what they're about to say, they feel more real than a lot of scripted films do.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd swap Star Wars and Indiana Jones? For Apocalypse now and Blade Runner. That black and white version of Indiana Jones that was circulating a couple years back reminded me its pretty much a masterpiece.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Rashomon over Ran seems obviously inaccurate.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I feel like the list besides having an "old movie" bias, also and I come at this as a lay person, but doesn't seem to really credit movies with large amounts of action for the level of skill that goes into shooting them. Citizen Kane is a masterpiece, but shooting it and shooting Fury Road. Which was also a gorgeous as fuck movie, that wasn't mostly people sitting/standing slowly walking on fixed stages.

e: didn't realize the list is just the 20th century...which just seems like an odd thing "We are celebrating our 100th anniversary, so here are the 100 best films that came out by our 81st anniversary".

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I feel like the list besides having an "old movie" bias, also and I come at this as a lay person, but doesn't seem to really credit movies with large amounts of action for the level of skill that goes into shooting them. Citizen Kane is a masterpiece, but shooting it and shooting Fury Road. Which was also a gorgeous as fuck movie, that wasn't mostly people sitting/standing slowly walking on fixed stages.

It’s a list of 20th century films and it has The Matrix on it

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Shooting quality Ran is Kurosawas most striking film to me

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'd put Apocalypse Now near the top for Editing

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Yeah, Considering how Ran sacrifices even plot and structure for its cinematography and the result is just gorgous looking. it should be on there.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I remember things differently

• Options
    If we were to include 21st century Oldboy would shoot up to #3 for me and Fury Road and Layer Cake would be in the top 10.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I don't know if my top 5 would look much like that, but it's a solid list regardless. I'll have to save my hot takes for some different list.

TexiKen, make me a list so i can bag on it.

Yeah, I saw that list and thought "Yeah, might not be the same as my list but that's a good enough top 5 I've got nothing to complain about".

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    20th Century? Sure.

Citizen Kane
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Rashomon
    Raging Bull

You just got epic dab’d

Dammit, that's also not a bad list.

You have failed me.

(I actually don't recall the cinematography in Raging Bull. 2001 is gorgeous, though, even if I find it boring as snot for large stretches.)

This discussion has been closed.