As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Fallout 76 isn't a disappointing game.

It was crystal clear from the start what it was going to be, and if anything the dumpster fire it turned into made it even better than just being boring and dumb. It became entertaining. To watch from a safe distance.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wrong thread

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean if they could count out a game from judgment based on "I called it that this game would be shit" then there would be plenty of games passing scrutiny just because they were never expected to be good

Fallout 76 was expected to have problems like any other 1) Bethesda and 2) online game but the way it played out, not to mention everything else surrounding the game, happened on a very different level from say, Fallout 4

• Options
    Disappointment is the difference between expectations and reality. If no one cared about 76 ahead of time and then it was bad and they still don't care then it shouldn't be disappointing. Dan was incredibly excited for RDR2 and then he grew to hate the experience before finishing it. That's disappointment.

But i'm still mad about Andromeda winning both Disappointing and Worst so maybe I just have a weird headspace for this stuff.

Math can't figure it out because it's all subjective, so we end up with an argument that no one can agree on. Lists are stupid let's just talk about games.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed all my time spent listening to the Game of the Year discussions.

Reading all the word vomit of the last few pages of the discussion of their discussions though, I feel like I would like that time back now.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Rehab wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed all my time spent listening to the Game of the Year discussions.

Reading all the word vomit of the last few pages of the discussion of their discussions though, I feel like I would like that time back now.

I did like this year better. Last year was a low point, and it seems they agreed.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    GOTY this year was fucking excellent.

No love for Bloodstained, though. Denied!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I did like this year better. Last year was a low point, and it seems they agreed.

Those guys dedicate enough time to this where any change that feels like it is beneficial for their collective sanity is one I am in favor of.

As much as I enjoy the competitive category aspect and the weird tension and entertaining declarations that result from that, I would probably feel differently about things were I actively participating like they are and not just passively listening.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I think everybody here enjoyed it. We're just talking about it because this is a discussion forum.

It seems kind of weird to bash the discussion and then take part in it but fill your boots!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GOTY this year was fucking excellent.

No love for Bloodstained, though. Denied!

I want Bloodstained to be great, but the last playable demo was kinda just ok. Too many Metroidvanias came out last year and a lot of them were great so they have an uphill battle.

Edit: oh you mean the retro one they put out last year? That was pretty great but it feels like a lot of folks just forgot about it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Am I the weirdo that never listens to video game music outside of the game? Multiple people on the GOTY casts talk about listening to soundtracks over and over. The only video game music I've ever listened to out of game is like, Chrono Trigger and Hotline Miami. And Hotline Miami is all licensed stuff anyways.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Depends on the soundtrack, but there are multiple that I listen to a lot. Doom, Half-Life and Axiom Verge off the top of my head. Obra Dinn is making a strong case too.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I listen to a few tracks and such, but not too much. The thing that is crazy to me is going to live concerts of video game music.

edit: to clarify- people can like what they like and I don't have an issue with people doing this. I just can't relate at all and don't get it.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Am I the weirdo that never listens to video game music outside of the game? Multiple people on the GOTY casts talk about listening to soundtracks over and over. The only video game music I've ever listened to out of game is like, Chrono Trigger and Hotline Miami. And Hotline Miami is all licensed stuff anyways.

I have only occasionally listened to a few select tracks outside of a game. But I'm also a weirdo that doesn't listen to other music or podcasts while playing, I'm there for what the game has to spit out. But I'm also a triple weirdo, in that I don't really listen to music at all by itself. I appreciate how music is used contextually in other art forms, like film, tv, theatre, or games, but don't really glean much from it as a thing in and of itself.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I'm a fan of remixes of sound tracks more than their originals typically. Many an hour spent rocking out on ocremix.org

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I'm like that but the idea of noticing a movies soundtrack is wild to me

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

I generally don't but the Celeste OST was legit one of my top 10 albums this year for music, video game or not.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'd probably pay attention to game soundtracks more if I played with headphones more often since a lot is lost when just using the tv speakers

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    A game's soundtrack matters a lot to me, but it's rare that I'll listen to one outside of the game. That being said, I have a few Danny Baranowsky soundtracks, and I love the Bastion soundtrack. I've listened to those outside their respective games a lot.

If I had the soundtrack to The Messenger, I'd probably be listening to that a lot too.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm like that but the idea of noticing a movies soundtrack is wild to me

I rewatched and really listened to the orchestral backing in Beauty and the Beast recently (the cartoon) and holy shit the way that movie just builds and builds on itself as it moves forward. Each song adds new motifs and musical phrases that get incorporated into the underlying score.

That movie is so good.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    95% of my music collection are game and movie soundtracks. Good music can heavily impact my enjoyment of a movie or game, so yeah, I love me some soundtracks (though I'm not fond of the sound-alike trend of the past decade...).

• Options
    Video game soundtracks have also been shown to be really good for music to listen to while you work as the music is typically without lyrics and is designed to be non-obtrusive.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If there's vocals and I like it, I'll probably seek it out.

Like SteevL, I have Bastion and all of the Supergiant soundtracks. Need to find Nier.

Edit: huh, Amazon has it as a CD or download. On my list!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Movie nerds will gush about John Williams' use of leitmotifs in his Star Wars film soundtracks, and I'm like "yes but have you listened to Final Fantasy 6?!"

Feloniousmoz on
    Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I also really like World of Warcraft's soundtracks. I'm one of those people who played those games with the music on 90% of the time. Because I got the collector's editions, I have the soundtracks to all of the expansions except the latest.

• Options
    I listened to the Diablo 2 soundtrack on repeat, but that was back when I listened to music. I don't really anymore.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    A game's soundtrack matters a lot to me, but it's rare that I'll listen to one outside of the game. That being said, I have a few Danny Baranowsky soundtracks, and I love the Bastion soundtrack. I've listened to those outside their respective games a lot.

If I had the soundtrack to The Messenger, I'd probably be listening to that a lot too.

This is the other one I just listened to. It's on spotify, two 'discs'

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

This is the other one I just listened to. It's on spotify, two 'discs'

Yeah, I've been eyeing it on Bandcamp for a while.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I listened to the Diablo 2 soundtrack on repeat, but that was back when I listened to music. I don't really anymore.

With or without the official Deckard Cain rap?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I tend to listen to game music like Destiny, usually scores by a composer that mostly works on its own. Stuff like hotline Miami is great too. But otherwise, I really don’t.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I could go back and forth between DOOM and Persona 5's soundtracks for the rest of my life and probably never get tired of them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    If a track is good enough to get stuck in my head, I throw it on my YouTube playlist, which I’ll revisit from time to time; stuff like Dire Dire Docks, Gerudo Valley, every other 16-Bit Sonic track...

• Options
    If you're into electronic stuff nothing beats the Brigador soundtracks.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's no Tropical Freeze

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    just shapes and beats has a great soundtrack.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    If you're into electronic stuff nothing beats the Brigador soundtracks.

That and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

By the way, did you know you can get the Blood Dragon soundtrack with those points you earn on uPlay? I found that out a few years ago and quickly snagged it.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    FTL is a great soundtrack to listen to while you work.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    outside of the usual Squenix and DQ bait (great soundtracks all around) I usually go back to SF3:Third Strike and MvC2. Those two OSTs are VERY unique as far as video game music goes.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    outside of the usual Squenix and DQ bait (great soundtracks all around) I usually go back to SF3:Third Strike and MvC2. Those two OSTs are VERY unique as far as video game music goes.

Ha, I just busted out the 360 to play MvC2 yesterday. We def need more jazz in our fighters.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    A good soundtrack can elevate a piece of media from a 7 to a 10 for me if it does its job. Undertale, Hollow Knight, and a handful of JPRGs come to mind.