As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I got my main group to try Gloomhaven Helper, and despite a bunch of weird syncing / casting issues, they all agreed that it was a huge improvement! I ended up basically running the whole thing on my phone, that got cast to a TV that the guys could see.

We played 2 scenarios, and took about ~6.5 hours including a lunch break. I'm not sure why this group seems to take so long to play, but overall we're having fun!

We did a main mission, scenario 14, and a side mission, scenario 81.

Spoilers Scenario 81:
    We played this boss completely wrong, and way easier than we should have, and we still almost wiped. Crazy difficult scenario for me (MT) as I basically couldn't ever use my main jam and the spellweaver couldn't really generate much ice for me on his turns. I don't think I have any interest in re-doing this scenario with the rules correct, but man, this one seems like a total EFF YOU if you try it without having way more items / classes than we did.

I was reading a thread on BGG with the designer who was kind of a dick about the difficulty level, saying that you could totally trivialize it with some items you get at higher prosperity levels. To which, someone replied, well, then you should have gated it to a higher prosperity level than "0", so that people might have a hint how much harder this scenario is than basically any others before.

We "won", but only because we cheated (not intentionally).

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Played a 2nd campaign of Gloomhaven with a group of friends during New Years and we came across an ability question between these two classes...
    Brute LV1. Provoking Roar (bottom)
    Cragheart Lv1. Opposing Strike (bottom)

If the Brute does Provoking Roar next to the Cragheart and the Cragheart does Opposing Strike in the same round and the Cragheart gets hit, does he gain Retaliate? Or does it not since Brute receives the damage.

Retaliate only triggers on attack actions. Anything that simply causes "damage" ignores retaliate and shield.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Played a 2nd campaign of Gloomhaven with a group of friends during New Years and we came across an ability question between these two classes...
    Brute LV1. Provoking Roar (bottom)
    Cragheart Lv1. Opposing Strike (bottom)

If the Brute does Provoking Roar next to the Cragheart and the Cragheart does Opposing Strike in the same round and the Cragheart gets hit, does he gain Retaliate? Or does it not since Brute receives the damage.

Retaliate only triggers on attack actions. Anything that simply causes "damage" ignores retaliate and shield.

Alright. Cause in my game the enemy Bandit melee attacked the Cragheart. But with Provoking Roar the attack was redirected to the Brute instead. I ruled that the Cragheart would gain Retaliate. Whoops.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t agonize over it too much. Mistakes get made even in way less complicated games. Whatever you ruled is just the way it happened to play out that time. :)

• Options
    Car trouble kept one of my group away tonight, so the rest of us held a retirement party. Literally: the entire party retired.

Re-ran Scenario 4 as our newest Scoundrel needed to axe a couple of more undead. My Eclipse was one Battle Goal away from retiring and was dealt an absolute lay-up (don't gather loot). And our Sun was looking to watch two characters retire, which she did. We unlocked Notes and a couple of random things.

The other two characters were substitutes anyway and will not be replaced any time soon. But since my Eclipse was my main (and I have no interest in ever reviving my substitute Spellweaver) I had a choice to make. Ultimately I settled on Notes, which should be an interesting change of pace from Eclipse to say the least. We will all be missing what Eclipse brought to the table (or, more accurately, what it removed from the table with extreme prejudice) but let's see how this goes...

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gloomhaven Session #6 is tonight! I'm really excited. I still haven't done a single scenario towards my MT's retirement goals, but we're gonna hit:

Scenario #20:
    Necromancer's Sanctum, where our tinkerer needs to loot an axe and kill things! I'm not sure how long it'll take him to kill 7 things once he's gotten the axe, but it'll be exciting to see!

Our first potential close-to-retirement case. The other two characters I think are ~half done on one, and the other I think is pretty close? I think our last session unlocked a new scenario for them to complete, and after that they can retire?

I feel like my PQ is going to take me until level 9 (or longer, potentially). I have:
    PQ533:
    I have to kill 3 spitting drakes, 3 lurkers, and 3 oozes. I haven't even *seen* any of these monsters on our unlocked scenarios, with the exception of Spitting Drakes in scenario 13 (which we haven't done yet). At the pace of leveling as we're going, even if we focus hard on my mission specifically (which I'm not going to push for, nor do I think as a group we "should", either), I can't see how it would take less than ~10 scenarios to finish, which is about how much longer I expect it to take to get me to level 9...

Last session, on the 30th, I missed hitting level 4 by 1 experience point, and I'm so salty about it. On my last turn, I wasn't able to use the main line on a card that granted an experience, so that's what cost me level 4.

Oh well. We have a level 4 spellweaver, and everyone else is level 3. Does this mean default scenario level bumps up to 2? Or not yet (as in, we need a second level 4 character before scenario difficulty bumps up?) If that's the case, then I guess it's a good thing I didn't level up last time, as after our next scenario we should all be level 4...

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Your PQ is definitely one of the hardest, especially for new characters. But it could be worse; in 1E, you had to kill four of each. It will be quite a while before you find at least one of those things (they are quite rare; tip: look for water), although you will eventually become sick of encountering another...

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I've noticed there are a lot of personal quests that seem like they could take forever, particularly when just starting a campaign. And there are some that could take forever if drawn at the beginning of a campaign, or become impossible if drawn later in a campaign (if you don't allow backtracking to previously completed quests).

Also, it's hard to judge how long a PQ will take when you're starting a campaign. I thought "get 18 checkmarks" would take forever, but actually that might be one of the shorter ones, compared to "wait until you unlock a specific sidequest, do it, then do some other stuff" or "do four missions in (region)"

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    There's nothing as disheartening as losing a drawn-out mission by everyone running out of cards with one enemy left on the board at 1 hp.

I can't say we didn't go down fighting, though.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    So, next mission we're going to unlock a character as a scenario reward (assuming we complete it, of course :) ).

However, one of our party will unlock the same character as soon as he completes his personal quest. Which seems a bit of a waste/letdown.

Thoughts on potential house rules for that situation?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So, next mission we're going to unlock a character as a scenario reward (assuming we complete it, of course :) ).

However, one of our party will unlock the same character as soon as he completes his personal quest. Which seems a bit of a waste/letdown.

Thoughts on potential house rules for that situation?

When you unlock a character class you've already unlocked, you get a side scenario and an item, instead:
    Any time players are directed to open a box or envelope and it has already been opened because of some previous condition, a new random item design and random side scenario are unlocked instead (see p. 38 for details). When a personal quest is fulfilled, the personal quest card is removed from the game.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Are you sure? A lot of those retirement-unlocking quests tend to be rabbit holes. If the PQ says "follow to its completion" you might have a longer road ahead of you than you think.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Are you sure? A lot of those retirement-unlocking quests tend to be rabbit holes. If the PQ says "follow to its completion" you might have a longer road ahead of you than you think.

I am absolutely sure. Spoilering it just in case, but it is seriously not a spoiler:
    Our 3 quests: Complete 15 scenarios. Kill 4 bosses. Watch two other characters retire.

No follow-ups on any of them. Just do the things.

Incidentally, characters can retire whenever they want, right? That would obviously not give personal quest rewards, but the other effects would kick in. (I.e., adding cards to city/road decks, unsealing town records, the PQ in the spoiler, etc.) Right?

(Also: Thanks, @Elvenshae :heartbeat:)

• Options
    Ah, ok. I interpeted "as a scenario reward" literally since those rewards actually exist.

And no, you only "retire" by achieving your PQ. If you want a character to just go away that's probably fine but you get nothing.

• Options
    We unlock the character since it's listed under "Rewards" in the scenario description in the big scenario book. It's a regular scenario. (And that character is also the PQ reward for one of the group members, but the PQ won't be unlocked for several more scenarios.)

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Dug deep into the thread and noticed I posted about our first session in February.

It's nearly been a goddamned year, one night a week (and one scenario a night barring early TPKs or our New Year's marathon) nearly every week. That's some value right there.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    I've played it since February, but we've only gotten 11 scenarios done. And no retirements yet.

Still good value.

• Options
    Hurray! After 3 months my second group finally started playing again! But of course a question came up...

Our Cragheart used Poison Dagger with Dirt Tornado. Would Poison effect everyone in the red hex or only the first guy he picks?

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Poison dagger is melee only so it's actually not legal with Dirt Tornado I think. If you use it with a melee AOE, it will hit multiple targets (one "attack" is one line that says attack).

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Poison dagger is melee only so it's actually not legal with Dirt Tornado I think. If you use it with a melee AOE, it will hit multiple targets (one "attack" is one line that says attack).

My fault, it was Unstable Upheaval he used. He consumed Earth as well, granting it range 2.
    1. Does Poison Dagger hit them all or just the first guy
    2. Is Posion Dagger even usable at that point since the attack changed to range with Earth being consumed.
    3. The last line says adjacent allies suffer 2 damage. Is that adjacent to the enemy or the Cragheart?

Riokenn on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

My fault, it was Unstable Upheaval he used. He consumed Earth as well, granting it range 2.
    2. Is Posion Dagger even usable at that point since the attack changed to range with Earth being consumed.

Empowered Upheaval got errata'd to being a "melee" throughout a very large area in v2, I believe. The Dagger, I believe, only adds poison on one of the several attacks thus generated.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Thank you so much! I was very unsure about Poison Dagger, just need to make sure!
    I was thinking single attack but my friend was telling me the top part of the card is the single attack. -w-

Riokenn on
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Auralynx wrote: »

Empowered Upheaval got errata'd to being a "melee" throughout a very large area in v2, I believe. The Dagger, I believe, only adds poison on one of the several attacks thus generated.

As per the FAQ
    Unstable Upheaval (Card 123) (R1):
    For the top action, if you consume earth, this turns from a melee attack into a ranged attack because a range is specified. Note that for R2+, the attack is always melee.

I believe this means that the poison dagger can only be used if it earth is not consumed. If earth is consumed then the attack becomes ranged and invalid for poison dagger. If earth is not consumed the attack becomes "Attack 3. Target all adjacent enemies. Poison." I'm pretty sure that this will poison all enemies targeted by this attack in the same way as my mind thief has an target 4 Muddle attack that muddles everything that it hits.

Edit: Hmm, looked a bit more and it seems that this card should be melee even if earth is consumed in R2. This looks to be what the designer intended and the card was changed.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options

IIRC one "attack" is one flip of the modifier deck. A line on a card is an "attack action".

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    My Scoundrel finally feels like she's doing cool things. Her base kit just does not synergize well with my party's characters and playstyle, so I've leaned harder into her multitarget ranged attacks (notably, I picked up Flurry of Blades at level 4). I got to use Duelist's Advance + Flurry of Blades twice, which was rad. Even though I had disadvantage against several targets due to Muddle and/or being adjacent to them, that was fine because I've trimmed all of the bad modifiers out of my deck, so I still got +1s on most of those attacks.

Interestingly, I noticed that we actually have enough Dagger Forest missions unlocked that I could go after my retirement objective, though now that my character is finally clicking, I'm not really in a rush to do that.

Question about "Drake Nest" scenario introductory flavor text/rewards:
    We picked this mission due to the name and the fact that it was in Dagger Forest (to make progress on my retirement). Hail starts the mission by saying something like "Oh, so you want to breathe underwater, do you?" To which my response was, "uh, what?" I don't remember there being anything in the previous mission explaining that that was even an option. We also hadn't found any other missions with prerequisites of Water Breathing or anything, so that was strange.

Did we miss something that would have explained that that was the reward we were going after for this mission? Are we supposed to read the scenario introduction before choosing which scenario to play?

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    My Scoundrel finally feels like she's doing cool things. Her base kit just does not synergize well with my party's characters and playstyle, so I've leaned harder into her multitarget ranged attacks (notably, I picked up Flurry of Blades at level 4). I got to use Duelist's Advance + Flurry of Blades twice, which was rad. Even though I had disadvantage against several targets due to Muddle and/or being adjacent to them, that was fine because I've trimmed all of the bad modifiers out of my deck, so I still got +1s on most of those attacks.

Interestingly, I noticed that we actually have enough Dagger Forest missions unlocked that I could go after my retirement objective, though now that my character is finally clicking, I'm not really in a rush to do that.

We picked this mission due to the name and the fact that it was in Dagger Forest (to make progress on my retirement). Hail starts the mission by saying something like "Oh, so you want to breathe underwater, do you?" To which my response was, "uh, what?" I don't remember there being anything in the previous mission explaining that that was even an option. We also hadn't found any other missions with prerequisites of Water Breathing or anything, so that was strange.

Did we miss something that would have explained that that was the reward we were going after for this mission? Are we supposed to read the scenario introduction before choosing which scenario to play?

You didn't miss anything.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

How did you unlock Drake's Nest? Whatever scenario did that (probably #18) should have suggested that this is where you go to do this (possibly with #14 also unlocked if you didn't already have it, as it is a prerequisite). Check the old scenario's conclusion text.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Finally getting this to the table regularly. Played two Scenarios yesterday and had a blast. It was also quite funny how things turned out for one of our players.

His personal quest was:
    To kill a bunch of vermlings.
    He also drew a scenario objective to kill an elite monster.

So we decide to do Scenario 9 and he was the swing vote because he wanted to progress towards his PQ and saw a great opportunity to make some progress in that scenario.

So we clear the first room in like one round because things go really well for us, but unfortunately for this player he made no progress on either his PQ or his scenario objective.

We enter the next room and there's just a swarm of enemies.

So of course, our friend rushes into the room in an attempt to get some kills, and draws terribly from his modifier deck, fails to kill anyone and is horribly murdered later in the round since he was playing a squishy character, and picked high initiative. This is like 2, maybe 3 rounds into the scenario at this point. At the end of the round he remembers he could have ignored the fatal damage by losing two cards from his discard pile, so we fudge the rules and allow him to get resurrected because it's so early in the scenario and we felt bad that he'd have to sit out the rest of the scenario otherwise.

So he 'comes back to life' a few hexes away and next round immediately rushes in and tries the same thing, greedily seeing an opportunity to get a bunch of kills and make progress on both his PQ and the scenario objective. Once again draws terribly from the modifier deck. Kills nothing, and is horribly murdered later in the round.

I feel like there are lessons to be learned from this.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    One of my regular group currently has the PQ to complete a ton of scenarios. Since we normally only get one scenario done per week and he took several weeks off to retire his backup character his progress on his main has been somewhat glacial. With last week's success he was finally in range, with only 3 scenarios left.

We got together yesterday to run a couple of extra scenarios in casual mode. He had his main (L7 Triangles), I dusted off my backup (L5 Spellweaver), and since we had another friend with us he created a L5 Tinkerer for his first play (we didn't deal him a PQ since he won't be playing a ton).

Running back Scenarios 1 & 2 at level 3 is interesting. Even ramped up, they were nowhere near as hard as they were with a fresh-faced group of L1s, even if some of that is probably the difference between 3p and 4p. Still, two more scenarios down.

We will definitely have a retirement at our normal session tomorrow night, possibly two. Due to our Two-Minis being L9 (that class has some dumb XP generation, although I think Notes might outclass it in that department...) we are currently taking on L4 scenarios, but since his PQ involves watching us die and he's one away from completing it this is a problem that will eventually correct itself. If we TPK he def retires and if we win he might still get thete along with Triangles.

Should be fun!

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    One of our group was sick and couldn't make it, but the rest of us pressed ahead with a sidequest and we got our two retirements plus a bump to prosperity 6. The Scenario Level 4 thing isn't going to be gone for long (the minute one of us crosses the threshold to L7 we go right back) but we have a bunch of new and interesting toys to play with in the meantime.

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I just unlocked Three Spears
    So, you can just break the game with stamina potions and Scroll of Recall to take infinite turns, huh? That’s kind of lame. I’d like to avoid cheesing the game for the next 20 or so missions until this character retires, but without employing item shenanigans, this character is just a strictly inferior version of the Brute, it seems. Any advice for not breaking the game with the character but also not being ‘bad’?

We’re prosperity level 3, reasonably early in the story.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Dark White wrote: »
    I just unlocked Three Spears
    So, you can just break the game with stamina potions and Scroll of Recall to take infinite turns, huh? That’s kind of lame. I’d like to avoid cheesing the game for the next 20 or so missions until this character retires, but without employing item shenanigans, this character is just a strictly inferior version of the Brute, it seems. Any advice for not breaking the game with the character but also not being ‘bad’?

We’re prosperity level 3, reasonably early in the story.

Re: stamina potions in general, I've heard that they are being errata'd to 1 and 2 cards (instead of their current 2 and 3).

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    More Three Spears
    I guess that curbs the power a bit, but you could still play infinitely with two cards returned too, it would just be slow and un-fun, I would imagine.

My concern is that if I don’t place some firm restriction on how something interacts, then when it actually matters, it will be too tempting to revert to cheesing in order to finish a scenario or get loot or something.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    This game has been chewing my players up and leaving us one or two hits away from toast every time we play.

Spoiler: we were calculating scenario level wrong :bzz:
    The rules against being able to share loot are still incredibly asinine.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    gavindel wrote: »
    This game has been chewing my players up and leaving us one or two hits away from toast every time we play.

Even with calculating scenario level correctly my group almost always feels like we're on the verge of TPK when we pull a victory out of our asses. Game is hard.

Last week was actually something of a breather scenario but tonight's follow-up looks rough.
    Last week we raided the Vermling Nest. Tonight is Payment Due...

I peeked at the intro. This is gonna be great.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I believe (start-of-the-midgame spoiler):
    That it's intended, even if the designer hasn't said so and is unlikely to, to encourage you to cash out and buy Enhancements during the retirement process.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

Even with calculating scenario level correctly my group almost always feels like we're on the verge of TPK when we pull a victory out of our asses. Game is hard.

Last week was actually something of a breather scenario but tonight's follow-up looks rough.
    Last week we raided the Vermling Nest. Tonight is Payment Due...

I peeked at the intro. This is gonna be great.

Slight change of plans. Due to illness, we ran Ruinous Rift tonight. It was surprisingly easy, although only having 3 of us helped again.

• Options
    Got two scenarios done last night. Now we just need to complete two more, and the entire party will simultaneously retire. (I'm currently enjoying my spellweaver. The other two are brute and tinkerer.)

We'll have unlocked mask, note, circles and sun. (Sun and mask are already unlocked.)

So the new party will consist of mask, note and one more.

I'm vacillating between circles, sun, and mindthief. I haven't looked at circles (yet to be unlocked), but I've looked at the other two.

What do you guys think?

• Options
    Haven't unlocked Mask yet (it and Bolt are the only two we have left). Have unlocked Circles but haven't seen it in action yet (that was the sick player this week). I will say that Circles and Notes (my current character) are an interesting team. If what I suspect about Mask is true*, then Sun would be a great, hard-hitting partner with Notes doing its thing in the background.

I have reasons to believe that Mask is an Inox.