As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think now might be the time for Pelosi and Schumer to bring up the fact that they have the votes to override a veto. McConnell is hiding behind a veto so he doesn't have to acknowledge responsibility for this mess, and I think it's time to shine some light on him.

"You have 100 votes for this bill, Mitch. It only takes 67 to kill a veto. Why don't you want to end this shutdown and stop the unnecessary suffering of millions of people, Mitch?"

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    So, imagining that he pulls the trigger and declares a "national emergency" to build the wall, how does the shutdown actually end? I can't imagine he'd endorse a clean CR a day or two later, given that it would likely end up with the government open, and his wall stuck in the courts. He has to realize the national emergency route is a terrible idea, or else he would've done it already.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The ongoing updated thread at WashPo-Graham's half assed attempt to look like he is doing something fails

So everyone's favorite Trump buddy Sen. Lindsey Graham has been trying to build a compromise bill to get the government open, give Trump everything he wants, and keep DACA folks here on a temporary status because fuck them right?

Well Pence say no and the President would never agree. Leading to a sad Sen. Graham.
    “I have never been more depressed about moving forward than right now. I just don’t see a pathway forward,” Graham said.

At the same time Murkowski seems to be trying to give a procedural bribe to the White House. Open the government and we will hold committee hearings and even vote on your wall in the Senate. Subject to amendments of course.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with reopening the government in exchange for a vote on the wall in the Senate.

I mean, Dems will vote against cloture and it will never come up in the house. Just like last year's DACA bill

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'd be fine with reopening the government in exchange for a vote on the wall in the Senate.

I mean, Dems will vote against cloture and it will never come up in the house. Just like last year's DACA bill

I would let it get through cloture. Vote it no in the Senate see who votes yes. Probably send it to the House where it will die to the Dem majority on the floor in a vote. We move on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Vox reporter.

Our president is completely insane. Click through for a whole thread of bizarre clips.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    There's plenty of details on McConnell saying "no, fuck you".
    McConnell has made clear that he won't take up any legislation related to the shutdown in the Senate that President Donald Trump won't sign. And the President has dug in in his refusal to sign legislation that does not meet his demand for roughly $5 billion for a border wall, which Democrats refuse to provide.

"The last thing we need to do right now is trade pointless -- absolutely pointless -- show votes back and forth across the aisle," McConnell said on the floor. He added, "The political stunts are not going to get us anywhere."
    McConnell instead blamed Democrats for the impasse, saying that the shutdown has been "prolonged by my Democratic colleagues' refusal to even come to the table."

So there's that. They managed to get Kavanaugh through by sheer spite, so who knows.

I kind of want someone on the Dem side to respond “US policy is to not negotiate with terrorists, Mitch.“

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    So, imagining that he pulls the trigger and declares a "national emergency" to build the wall, how does the shutdown actually end? I can't imagine he'd endorse a clean CR a day or two later, given that it would likely end up with the government open, and his wall stuck in the courts. He has to realize the national emergency route is a terrible idea, or else he would've done it already.

He declares victory, opens the Government, and then let's various other people lie about everything.

Like Syria.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    There's plenty of details on McConnell saying "no, fuck you".
    McConnell has made clear that he won't take up any legislation related to the shutdown in the Senate that President Donald Trump won't sign. And the President has dug in in his refusal to sign legislation that does not meet his demand for roughly $5 billion for a border wall, which Democrats refuse to provide.

"The last thing we need to do right now is trade pointless -- absolutely pointless -- show votes back and forth across the aisle," McConnell said on the floor. He added, "The political stunts are not going to get us anywhere."
    McConnell instead blamed Democrats for the impasse, saying that the shutdown has been "prolonged by my Democratic colleagues' refusal to even come to the table."

So there's that. They managed to get Kavanaugh through by sheer spite, so who knows.

I kind of want someone on the Dem side to respond “US policy is to not negotiate with terrorists, Mitch.“

This is what all of us have been saying aloud in my neck of the woods.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Unless I'm completely blind, I haven't seen this here yet:

“We want our pay! We want our pay!”

Federal workers gather at a union-organized anti-shutdown rally in Washington, DC.

(via kailanikm)

So, you know, protests have started.

NBC News is NBC News

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    moniker was warned for this.
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Vox reporter.

Our president is completely insane. Click through for a whole thread of bizarre clips.

2g3srkq8itbf.jpg

Seeking asylum in Valhalla all shiny and chrome.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Vox reporter.

It's bad when your propaganda network decides it's better to NOT air your speech.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »

Federal workers gather at a union-organized anti-shutdown rally in Washington, DC.

(via kailanikm)

NBC News is NBC News

Yeah, they're protesting out front of the Federal Center in Chicago too. Turns out furloughed employees have time on their hands.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So take money that was meant for the whole country to spend on your racist vanity project jesus christ.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think now might be the time for Pelosi and Schumer to bring up the fact that they have the votes to override a veto. McConnell is hiding behind a veto so he doesn't have to acknowledge responsibility for this mess, and I think it's time to shine some light on him.

"You have 100 votes for this bill, Mitch. It only takes 67 to kill a veto. Why don't you want to end this shutdown and stop the unnecessary suffering of millions of people, Mitch?"

Or point out, quietly, that the president doesn't need to sign it.

That's his out. Let the 10 day auto-approve thing happen, then he can kvetch on Twitter about how unconstitutional this secret Democrat bill was, and who can believe this, and we've got people looking into this so the Dems better watch out, etc

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

That's his out. Let the 10 day auto-approve thing happen, then he can kvetch on Twitter about how unconstitutional that was, and who can believe this, and we've got people looking into this so the Dems better watch out, etc

I mean, the point isn't that Trump might veto it. The point is that Trump would go on a tirade against Mitch and damage the Republican party. That's Mitch's fear.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    KetBra wrote: »

That's his out. Let the 10 day auto-approve thing happen, then he can kvetch on Twitter about how unconstitutional that was, and who can believe this, and we've got people looking into this so the Dems better watch out, etc

I mean, the point isn't that Trump might veto it. The point is that Trump would go on a tirade against Mitch and damage the Republican party. That's Mitch's fear.

My point was that Trump could play dumb, scream DEEP STATE, blame the Dems and we could all move on with our lives. Or the next 8.5 months of them, anyway.

He's only being a hard ass here because his base lost. their. shit. about him not pushing for it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So take money that was meant for the whole country to spend on your racist vanity project jesus christ.

The Puerto Rico angle is even worse - taking it from US citizens suffering over a YEAR later to build 300 miles of fencing at 2.3 times the amount he's been asking for.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

My point was that Trump could play dumb, scream DEEP STATE, blame the Dems and we could all move on with our lives. Or the next 8.5 months of them, anyway.

Maybe. I'm guessing that Mitch is trying to get someone in the White House to sell that to him.

But he's Trump so...

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys, knock off the jokey posts. I've said once, other mods have said, etc.

• Options
    Lindsay Graham is now advocating for the use of emergency powers to build the wall, whatever that would mean

Jake Sherman works for Politico

Senate R's sure feel like they're backed into a corner.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

(via kailanikm)

NBC News is NBC News

Unfortunately as I am not furloughed I couldn’t join. I mean, also fortunately I am not furloughed.

DC reddit was full of people heading out to it. There was some good coordination for it.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Lindsay Graham is now advocating for the use of emergency powers to build the wall, whatever that would mean

Jake Sherman works for Politico

Senate R's sure feel like they're backed into a corner.

Isn't this just... theft? At this point isn't it demonstrably theft from those suffering areas that were supposed to get that money?

And how is it an emergency?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

It'll let him hurt California (and other places) while building his wall?

Yeah, this is absolutely going to be something he wants to do. His base will eat it up.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Can someone point me to where these emergency powers are enumerated?

I know there are times when the federal government can declare a natural disaster but this sounds different!

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

You know I actually kind of want him to do this, so that when the next natural disaster hits and they can't respond to it trump has to explain to people that their town being devestated is a small price to pay to ensure that there is slightly more fencing along the southern border that will kieep hypothetical hispanics from sneaking across. Mission accomplished!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yeah, this is absolutely going to be something he wants to do. His base will eat it up.

This is legitimately stomach churning that the president of the US wants to hurt states in the US because he doesn't like them, and at the same time hurt our standing in the world at large.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Erik Wasson works for Bloomberg News

Dumbest timeline ho! As I suspected, even if he does his somewhat nebulous emergency powers wall building, he may not even re-open the government!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

This is legitimately stomach churning that the president of the US wants to hurt states in the US because he doesn't like them, and at the same time hurt our standing in the world at large.

I mean, they've been doing this for a while now. This is just a new and different way to do it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

You know I actually kind of want him to do this, so that when the next natural disaster hits and they can't respond to it trump has to explain to people that their town being devestated is a small price to pay to ensure that there is slightly more fencing along the southern border that will kieep hypothetical hispanics from sneaking across. Mission accomplished!

He already left Puerto Rico to suffer, and insulted and lied about them when they went "This is unacceptable! Help!"

He definitely won't give two shits if getting his wall takes money away from people in need.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Vox reporter.

We have now reached a level of insanity where people, even those who agree with his racist tirades, would be telling Racist Uncle Pete to calm down and stop upsetting everyone at the dinner table over Thanksgiving. There has to be some kind of failure state here even for Trump in the eyes of his supporters. This is just insanity. The man is clearly not well, he cannot deal with this. He is ranting about tape and people driving jet cars in the desert. THIS IS NOT HOW WE GOVERN A COUNTRY. Dictators around the world are thinking, "I certainly couldn't get away with sounding that stupid. That Trump must really have the people fooled!"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Erik Wasson works for Bloomberg News

Dumbest timeline ho! As I suspected, even if he does his somewhat nebulous emergency powers wall building, he may not even re-open the government!

Man, if he declares an emergency but still refuses to open the government....that’s a bold move Cotton.

Just wow, that would not go over well at all.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

I know there are times when the federal government can declare a natural disaster but this sounds different!

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/emergency-powers

Pretty comprehensive. But the truth is, any power can be considered an emergency power. The President can basically say or do whatever he wants when declaring a national emergency, and it's up to Congress to keep it in check.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    If he declares emergency powers to take that funding appropriated by Congress he'll be sued immediately.

It'll be interesting to see how that holds up in SCOTUS (where it will inevitably land) seeing as how constitutionally Congress has the power of the purse but they've let some emergency powers continue to exist legislatively.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Declaring an emergency to do what you shut the government down for weeks trying to do is going to be hard to sell in court.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

The stakes for emergency powers are that the emergency has to be something unforseen and requires immediate action so as to not get hamstrung by congressional debate (i.e. terrorist's blow up the hoover damn, a meteor slams into Demoin iowa, an earthquake causes california to become an island, the Yellowstone coldera becomes an active volcano ect.).

It doesn't apply here because this isn't unforseen and the "required" solution in this scenario can't be utilized in a swift manner. Further, attempting to declare an emergency would be a clear attempt to bypass congress which would get slapped down immediately by courts.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Declaring an emergency to do what you shut the government down for weeks trying to do is going to be hard to sell in court.
    Especially if he makes an effort to leave the government shut down.

This discussion has been closed.