As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    kriegs wrote: »
    IGN has been posting exclusive javelin impressions on their YouTube page for the last couple days and this game is looking really fun.

I would just like to take a more in-depth look at how loot is going to pan out, especially at end-game.

I'm excited for their solution to the destiny problem. Or really the "action rpg" issue, what to do to keep people playing. Random rolls? Have to random, statics kills end game.

They've talked about the gear chase already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHW9bmaZqLI

Basically it comes down to random rolls and higher quality gear having more rolls on it. There is also crafting to fill in the gaps if drops just aren't going your way. Plus the "exotic" (Masterwork/Legendary in Anthem) gear chase.

The gear in Anthem is much more Diablo-like in that it opens up builds and playstyles. As opposed to Destiny where it really just kind of gives you one cool ability or makes your abilities even cooler. There is a bigger emphasis on getting the rolls on your gear to synergize and create your playstyle. That alone opens up a super deep endgame as you try and create multiple builds of each Javelin to fill different roles and playstyles. Then you get a Masterwork to drop that opens up a new playstyle you've never considered and now you're chasing different gear to finalize that build.

I love it and am super pumped for a shooter version of the classic action rpg loot dynamic.

Oh man I'm right there with you all of that sounds aces.

I also like how each of the javelins shields regain differently (well we know how 3 of them do). Like the interceptor goes faster when its moving, storm when its flying, the jug doesn't have an energy shield but its literal physical shield, I wonder if the ranger will just be the vanilla of the group and regen shields by being boring... Nah I'm sure it too will have something interesting.

I'm really liking how with 4 classes they are giving us uniqueness to each, and even within each jav more options. Like the IGN video shows how you can have a ranged damage interceptor, or a storm that's only detonator damage but no primers. That's the good shit, that's the hard shit.

The depth of difference between the Javelins is pretty great, I agree. And then they've shown us a very small amount of the depth of difference just in the different playstyles within a single Javelin class and it really gets me going. Each Javelin has enough different abilities that can also be modified to act differently and I realize that there are so many ways to approach each class. I could truly have a unique build that is exactly what I like.

And then I realize they haven't even revealed the weapon types and I'm done. I can't even anymore. My hype is too much at this point. I can't wait to theorize and test and build and play all the build options that will be out there in Anthem.

Tell me your going xbone bro LIE TO ME IF YOU HAVE TO!

I don't know yet, man! I'm stressing about it too because I want to do PC because graphically it will just be better, but I love my couch and Xbox bros. The deciding factor will probably be the members of NATBurn. I think most of them are gonna come over to this game. Shad is already done with Destiny and refuses to get Division 2 because its on the Epic Launcher. He's planning on getting this game so I imagine this will be our new go-to. Especially if Destiny keeps going the way its going (although them divorcing Activision means they might not)

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well D3 had the RMH fucking with drops when it first released. And bioware has gone on record before saying "We don't want to change our vision based on other people, but we'd be crazy to not see what competitors did that worked and didn't work"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    That Interceptor video just cements my decision to roll Flippy Ninja.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    That Interceptor video just cements my decision to roll Flippy Ninja.

It looked sweet as shit, but I know I'll love being the heavy slug shield smashing bad ass. You flippy ninjas need someone to grab aggro!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm always either the jack-of-all trades or the magic user. So I will likely spend most of my time on the Storm or Ranger.

edited January 2019
    I'm always either the jack-of-all trades or the magic user. So I will likely spend most of my time on the Storm or Ranger.

I thought you mained titan in destiny?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2019

I thought you mained ttan in destiny?

Nope, Warlock.

Best jump. Best survivability. Best magic. Dont @ me

ObiFett on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I thought you mained ttan in destiny?

Nope, Warlock.

Best jump. Best survivability. Best magic. Dont @ me

Who would @ you all of those points are factually correct. Best laser, too.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I was on the fence with some of the first videos but all the ones lately have gotten me really excited about the demo in February. Trying to rope my friends in on the XBox for some OW alternatives.

Well I'm all in on the juggy, which means 3 months from now I'll be building a storm and saying "yeah always love magic."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    IGN has been posting exclusive javelin impressions on their YouTube page for the last couple days and this game is looking really fun.

I would just like to take a more in-depth look at how loot is going to pan out, especially at end-game.

I'm excited for their solution to the destiny problem. Or really the "action rpg" issue, what to do to keep people playing. Random rolls? Have to random, statics kills end game.

Basically it comes down to random rolls and higher quality gear having more rolls on it. There is also crafting to fill in the gaps if drops just aren't going your way. Plus the "exotic" (Masterwork/Legendary in Anthem) gear chase.

The gear in Anthem is much more Diablo-like in that it opens up builds and playstyles. As opposed to Destiny where it really just kind of gives you one cool ability or makes your abilities even cooler. There is a bigger emphasis on getting the rolls on your gear to synergize and create your playstyle. That alone opens up a super deep endgame as you try and create multiple builds of each Javelin to fill different roles and playstyles. Then you get a Masterwork to drop that opens up a new playstyle you've never considered and now you're chasing different gear to finalize that build.

I love it and am super pumped for a shooter version of the classic action rpg loot dynamic.

Playstyle variety is a good thing, though I'm not personally a fan of tying it to random loot. One, because if instead of "i found item X, therefore I can do Y" a player's motivation is "I want to do Y, therefore I need item X", they are at the mercy of the RNG and may literally never be able to get said item. Fortunately, the crafting here may mitigate that to some extent. But I'm more wary that such systems often lead to player attitudes of "we won't let you do group activity Y with us unless you have specific gear A, B, C" and I hope they can avoid that pitfall.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Well I'm all in on the juggy, which means 3 months from now I'll be building a storm and saying "yeah always love magic."

Up until now I've been fully on team Colossus. However after watching that interceptor video, a full on shotgun ninja on speed just sounds so fun. At the same time, the Storm is triggering all of those fond memories of playing an energy blaster in CoH, just hovering above the battlefield and raining carnage. Then again I'll probably switch back to Colossus once someone figures out how to make a ME3 KroGuard.

edited January 2019

Playstyle variety is a good thing, though I'm not personally a fan of tying it to random loot. One, because if instead of "i found item X, therefore I can do Y" a player's motivation is "I want to do Y, therefore I need item X", they are at the mercy of the RNG and may literally never be able to get said item. Fortunately, the crafting here may mitigate that to some extent. But I'm more wary that such systems often lead to player attitudes of "we won't let you do group activity Y with us unless you have specific gear A, B, C" and I hope they can avoid that pitfall.

Well I'd hope it'd be like Diablo 3 is right now. You can usually kluge together a low tier version of what you need, and then the improvement is finding the better versions of it. Which I imagine is what they are going for.

Also I don't think any javelin "heals" in a traditional sense, so its less holy trinity and more probably see what combos up with what. I'd hope that they have some kind of armory system in place so its easy to swap gear sets for roles.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net

As long as the gear comes fast and loose we should be fine. I think the early levels will be more learning the game since the gear at that point will have minimal inscriptions (rolls). Once you start getting real gear and hitting the harder difficulties, everything that drops will have inscriptions and many of them so its just a matter of how much loot they rain down on us.

Without trading, or a RMAH, or PvP, I see no reason for them to hold back.

As long as the gear comes fast and loose we should be fine. I think the early levels will be more learning the game since the gear at that point will have minimal inscriptions (rolls). Once you start getting real gear and hitting the harder difficulties, everything that drops will have inscriptions and many of them so its just a matter of how much loot they rain down on us.

Without trading, or a RMAH, or PvP, I see no reason for them to hold back.

Yeah like the Division improved their game when they opened the loot flood gates. Diablo 3 too.

Basically if your game focus's on loot restricting too much just makes players feel like they aren't doing shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So I pre-ordered the PC version sometime ago and my PC is borked as of yesterday.

So plan B, now ordered the PS4 version.

Not like I booked days holiday for launch week or anything to get my iron man shenanigans on.

I’m sooo ready.

Yeah I've taken off the friday of release, and then up to wednesday the week after. I'd have taken the full week but I'm budgeting time off for division 2 and like that kid I have somewhere.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad they're putting out an actual demo before release so people on the fence can decide if it's potentially for them or not. I'm most likely getting it, and it'll be on the Xbox .

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I'm glad they're putting out an actual demo before release so people on the fence can decide if it's potentially for them or not. I'm most likely getting it, and it'll be on the Xbox .

I'm glad they are putting out a demo for those reasons and also it shows a confidence and respect for the player that I can truly appreciate:

That is confidence. Didn't destiny 1 have an open demo? I want to say it did.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    That's exactly the tweet I was thinking of and good on them for doing so.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    That is confidence. Didn't destiny 1 have an open demo? I want to say it did.

Destiny 1 was good and they did have confidence in it. The beta was awesome.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I remember Destiny's beta being super exciting and cool and atmospheric and I was all "man I'm excited to see the rest of the content lined up"

And it turned out pretty meagre when it launched

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    What little I played the alpha was enough, be nice to have a official demo we can all talk about.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm increasingly hyped for this one but am trying to moderate my hopes lest my tender heart be hurt again.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I plan to put some time in on the two demo weekends, and will be taking the Friday of the release off. From what I'm reading, it may actually be unlocking late Thursday night (EST at least), but I expect the servers to be wanged, so I could see myself putting in a few attempts to get online, but more likely crash at a reasonable time and marathon some shenanigans throughout the following days.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Oh right I got excited about the demo too but then I realised actually downloading it would probably take me so long it would probably finish before I could login :P

I don't think they've said anything yet, but hopefully there will be a fairly generous pre-load period before the demos go live, just like I'd expect there to be for the full game.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Storm or Interceptor for me.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Always Be Colossus-ing.

Give me all of your hate, all of your suffering the aggro. I am a hungry boy.

sig.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    At this point anything but the Interceptor for me.

Leaning toward Storm tho

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I still plan on starting storm, but I may dabble into Mechsuit 76 as an off build. Eventually will be all of them at some point

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I want to play all the suits. But if perk shenanigans and play style of the storm make it something like 90% uptime in flight, hells yeah. I want to be an ever flying ironguy!
    Plus magic is cool.

I just know all will be fun to play tho. The ranger's special has that Macross "light'em up" missile-lapooza, its mech and fun. And yeah, their transparency is so pro-player I can hardly believe they're attached to EA.

Edit: In case its not obvious: Much excite!

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    So this is gonna be like Warframe (note I've never played that game) in the sense that they're just going to keep releasing new Javelin bodies? Or at least have more classes than the initial 4 being mentioned so far?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I wish you could jump and start to fly without the acrobatics if you choose. All the spinning and flipping and shit seems to get annoying after the first few times you see it. Plus, its like always the same moves, no real variety? I guess that is my biggest beef with something they took from Warframe, because I hate seeing it in Warframe and makes watching streamers playing it really not fun. Let me see a guy jump corkscrew 30 times in a row to get to the next thing to kill. Ugh.

Rhah on
    finnith wrote: »
    So this is gonna be like Warframe (note I've never played that game) in the sense that they're just going to keep releasing new Javelin bodies? Or at least have more classes than the initial 4 being mentioned so far?

Not quite the same, I don't think. Warframe releases a new frame (or an upgraded version of an older frame) every month and a half or so, glancing at the release date list. While the Developers have said that a new Javelin would potentially be one piece of non-cosmetic paid DLC, I've never gotten the feeling that they plan to pop out a half dozen of them a year. As an example, the imagery they're using for their merch includes simple symbols for the 4 current Javelins. It's a simple series of shapes that could easily be adjusted to include more, but it wouldn't surprise me if we went a while before we even got a fifth, let alone Warframe's release rate.

As for which I'm most looking forward to playing, I'm trying to keep an open mind, but while I certainly plan to dabble in all of them, years as a Rogue in WoW continues to leave me uninterested in chasing things down, so while yes they can use guns, I think the Interceptor will likely be my last unlock. I suspect I may start with the Ranger as a multi-role/soloing option, branch into Colossus for tanking in groups where it is lacking (which, based on my time in many games, is 'almost always'), and then Storm for grouping up. All of them are likely very solo/group capable, but based on what I've seen and my playstyle, I think that'll basically be where things end up.

Like in Fortnite, where I started off with Soldier classes, moved to Constructors because boy do people suck at building defenses sensibly, and then Outlanders because boy does it suck spending all of my materials to build defenses and then nobody helps with upgrading or dropping off materials, so at least that way I can do the requisite building while also quickly procuring more.

I'm leaving some mental wiggle room open to adapt on the fly. Right now, of the half dozen friends I regularly play with, only one is hyped for the game. 2 others are huge Bioware fans, so I suspect they'll be onboard, but am not sure when they might get into it. If it's just one or two of us, that might influence the direction I go, contrasted with potentially having 2 full groups worth of people on the go, and how our class balance/playstyles might shake out.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

I have no basis, but I really doubt that

They'll probably add few more, but I don't see Anthem as a game with 50+ suits

I might be completely wrong though

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It seems a lot easier for them to add new abilities to each class to create more variety in playstyles then everyone jumping in on a new class late game and finding gear for them from scratch.

I haven't watched a ton of coverage but my sense is abilities are kinda like Diablo 3, you have a bunch of available options but only a couple active and they kinda define your kit. So they can add new abilities to a class to create a new playstyle without locking it to a new class.

Also yes the amount of spinning animations really is a little overdone. I just want some classic superman/ironman take offs, fist on the ground, pop straight up with a giant crater left behind

PSN SeGaTai
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    It seems a lot easier for them to add new abilities to each class to create more variety in playstyles then everyone jumping in on a new class late game and finding gear for them from scratch.

I haven't watched a ton of coverage but my sense is abilities are kinda like Diablo 3, you have a bunch of available options but only a couple active and they kinda define your kit. So they can add new abilities to a class to create a new playstyle without locking it to a new class.

Also yes the amount of spinning animations really is a little overdone. I just want some classic superman/ironman take offs, fist on the ground, pop straight up with a giant crater left behind

This is exactly it. Each class can bring two weapons and then has three slots for abilities (each with a set of things that can fit in those slots) and then an ultimate.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I just hope the combat feels good. So many comparisons to Warframe, but I can't get into the combat in that game at all. It packs little to no punch, IMO.

Granted, I'm sure the comparisons are broad and not referencing every detail, but it is a concern I have.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
This discussion has been closed.