As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

podcast thread

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I know who they both are.

But like, I know Tricia Helfer because I've seen some of her work. Not a lot, I've never been a big fan of any of her specific shows, but she's an actress who I have seen and enjoyed in things and know her on that basis.

I have no idea how I know who Ronda Rousey is. She just has a presence in popular culture that is large enough that I can't help but at least be aware of it.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fair

The only reason I know who she is is because shes shitty, otherwise I'd only have seen her as "goon in fast 6"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    People talk about Ronda Rousey. I wish they wouldn't because she extremely does not deserve fame, but they do.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Damn I want to know the gritty details behind the bungie activision divorce

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

So many big divorces in the news today

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    People talk about Ronda Rousey. I wish they wouldn't because she extremely does not deserve fame, but they do.

Literally the only reason I know who she is is because people bash on her for being a shitbag

What's better: That I know a person of some low level of fame exists and is a massive transphobe, or that I'd just never heard about her at all?

(I genuinely do not know if awareness is better, or bad people just remaining unknown entirely)

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

So many big divorces in the news today

Oh thank you for reminding me to go read those weird sexts

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I mean it's better to know when famous people are shit than to not know, but I'd rather shit people not be famous to begin with.

But you can't control that part

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I don't know about Activision's side, but I'm going to guess on Bungie's side that they were getting tired of the lousy terms of their contract with Activision. The contract was leaked back when it was first announced that Activision to be publishing Destiny and everyone who looked at the contract was scratching their heads as to why Bungie had left Microsoft only to sign such a thing.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    A new [podcast thread] for you, and Jeanine, and the girls

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Oh god DAMMIT

There is a rumor going around that, at least one version of her judging from that first trailer, Sonya Blade will be played by and modeled after Ronda Rousey in MK 11

Fuckin

No thank you

They got Tricia Helfer last time

That would be an insane step down, to the point where I don't know that they'd do it even out of some misplaced sense of hype
    I mean

She is a garbage person

But Ronda Rousey is 100% a bigger name that Tricia Helfer, its not even close

I hate it and don't want them to do it but there is a logic

I'm gonna admit that maybe I just don't hang out in the same circles, but like, most of my friends do not know who Rhonda Rousey is and do know Helfer

I misread 'Helfer' as 'Hitler' and was like, well, yeah

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's really difficult to get accurate details on the workings of these kind of corporate relationships, I would take anything you hear with a lot of salt.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

I listened to MBMBaM for the first time in a while yesterday and that bit killed me

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I don't think Gritty had anything to do with it...

• Options

Details
    Gb7wj5o.jpg

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

I do.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

I listened to MBMBaM for the first time in a while yesterday and that bit killed me

I especially loved it because it started as nothing.
    Justin just says, "a better wallet" and then there's silence, and nothing, because he wasn't planning to go anywhere with it. But Griffin pushes him and it just keeps growing into this great bit.

Justin is secretly the best McElroy.

• Options
    Oh god DAMMIT

There is a rumor going around that, at least one version of her judging from that first trailer, Sonya Blade will be played by and modeled after Ronda Rousey in MK 11

Fuckin

No thank you

They got Tricia Helfer last time

That would be an insane step down, to the point where I don't know that they'd do it even out of some misplaced sense of hype
    I mean

She is a garbage person

But Ronda Rousey is 100% a bigger name that Tricia Helfer, its not even close

I hate it and don't want them to do it but there is a logic

I'm gonna admit that maybe I just don't hang out in the same circles, but like, most of my friends do not know who Rhonda Rousey is and do know Helfer

I misread 'Helfer' as 'Hitler' and was like, well, yeah

Hitler has pretty good name recognition

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's really difficult to get accurate details on the workings of these kind of corporate relationships, I would take anything you hear with a lot of salt.

Schrier has previously had pretty good reports on what's happening at bungie so I assume the article on this is coming

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I do.

Gritty in a business suit sliding the contract across the table to bungie.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Tricia Helfer is TV-famous, Rhonda Rousey is Hollywood-famous. There's a gulf in mainstream recognizability here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    What did Rousey do? I don't follow MMA, so I basically only know just as the goon from F&F6.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Bungie has split off from Activision, taking Destiny with it

https://kotaku.com/bungie-splits-with-activision-1831651740

This is fucking wild

Activision says it's going to remain on Battle.net but like... for how long? Why would they keep hosting online infrastructure for a game that they don't get a single piece of anymore? Who's gonna front those costs and logistics now? Presumably some other publisher is going to swoop in and scoop them up, because somehow I don't think Bungie on its own has the resources to do it

I will laugh forever if it's Microsoft

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    What did Rousey do? I don't follow MMA, so I basically only know just as the goon from F&F6.

She's a generally nasty individual, and is more specifically nasty about trans people.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

She's a generally nasty individual, and is more specifically nasty about trans people.
    Also a Sandy Hook truther

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Bummer. Hopefully the MK11 rumor is bogus.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    Bungie has split off from Activision, taking Destiny with it

https://kotaku.com/bungie-splits-with-activision-1831651740

This is fucking wild

Activision says it's going to remain on Battle.net but like... for how long? Why would they keep hosting online infrastructure for a game that they don't get a single piece of anymore? Who's gonna front those costs and logistics now? Presumably some other publisher is going to swoop in and scoop them up, because somehow I don't think Bungie on its own has the resources to do it

I will laugh forever if it's Microsoft

'Contractual obligations' is fairly likely, in regards to Destiny remaining on battle.net.

• Options
    Activision is still gonna get a piece of all the Destiny 1 and 2 business. They published those games, they're still theirs.

Destiny 3 onwards, they won't touch.

sig.gif
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Uh, I guess I'll spoiler this because it makes me sound really obnoxious, read at your own risk (PUTJ related)
    I can't really listen to it because the standard of criticism is so poor. I know that isn't the point, but to me it's just three people going "look, this is a bad lyric!" and laughing as though they just did something useful. I think all the people involved are really great, but it's the musical equivalent of cinemasins to me.

My roommate can't stand it for similar reasons. But I'm a music idiot and she's a classically trained performer, so I think I might have a sense of where the divide is.

I will say that after listening to their Freak On A Leash episode I had a lot more respect for the song because I was more aware of how wildly innovative that song is and was even more frustrated that they didn't pick up on any of it and just said "Freak On A Leash? That lyric doesn't make sense!" and like yeah bros, it's a simile.

comedians discussing lyrics drives me up a wall. unimaginative, overly literal, and condescending.

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Activision is still gonna get a piece of all the Destiny 1 and 2 business. They published those games, they're still theirs.

D3stiny 2020 confirmed.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I imagine that, being the publisher for D2, Actividion still gets a cut of the sales.

I imagine upcoming content and DLC will also be through Activision. D3 will probably be where the rubber meets the road.

• Options

She was a big name MMA fighter for a hot minute. That's what landed her the Fast and Furious bit part (in which she was fucking terrible even by the standards of MMA non-actors in Fast and Furious movies)

Then she said a bunch of transphobic shit while trashtalking an opponent, got her shit pushed in and lost a few times in a row I think, and quit MMA to do professional wrestling because the WWE is also terrible

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

D3stiny 2020 confirmed.

That was preeeeetty much already known.

The thing is that the next big D2 expansion that was probably planned to come out next fall is very much a question mark now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

D3stiny 2020 confirmed.

The thing is that the next big D2 expansion that was probably planned to come out next fall is very much a question mark now.

I enjoyed the shooty parts of D2 enough that I'll buy it. I'll probably hate myself for doing it, but I will!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Also a Sandy Hook truther

Whoa I didn't know this part

That's fun

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    The MMA context for Rousey is that she was a mediocre fighter who dominated women's MMA for a few years due to a lack of serious opposition. She brought money into the division, which meant that serious competitors started to join it. Real fighters showed up, and she got fucking pummeled. Now she's a pro wrestler.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I like Tricia Helfer but the idea that she's anywhere approaching Rousey in terms of fame is ludicrous

She was in Battlestar Galactica and Lucifer and that's pretty much it

Rousey, openly shitty though she might be, is an Olympic medalist, UFC champ and WWE champ, and has really only relatively recently started getting into acting which she is terrible at

But like ignoring everything else, "WWE Champ" means that one is automatically more famous than most celebrities because no matter how you feel about wrestling it's a shockingly big deal

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

D3stiny 2020 confirmed.

Was there another one coming?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There was probably only another one coming if they went "Whoops we can't release Destiny 3 yet" like they did with Destiny 2 which led to last minute Rise of Iron

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

D3stiny 2020 confirmed.

Was there another one coming?

Probably! Their whole "10-year plan" thing with on-years with numbered entries and off-years with expansions seems to have gotten expanded to a 3-year cycle when they decided to use The Taken King to fix the first game and I'm pretty sure everybody assumed 2019 was D2 exp2 and 2020 was D3.

Now who knows. But still probably D3 in 2020.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.