As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Manafort "Sentenced"

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is that potentially bad for Mueller’s case or is it irrelevant.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I am positive Mueller has told him to say that he can’t comment on anything that could fuck it up

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    They've got everything from him already. If he lies they'll know it instantly. This is a good way to put pressure on Trump.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I would imagine that House Democrats would let him not answer anything that might interfere with ongoing investigations. Plus since Democrats aren’t actively working to help Trump break the law, they might run some of their questions by Mueller ahead of time.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, what will probably happen is all the truely juicy stuff will be under "I can't comment on that right now." The important thing will be getting Cohen, under oath and in public, confirming the garbage that's already known.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Even if it's public he can always do that 'i gotta answer that question in private' sorta thing.

Comey did a lot of that if I remember correctly

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I would imagine the Committee Chair has communicated with Mueller's staff in order to know what might be out of bounds to ask that may interfere with the investigation. Also, to know the answers to the questions before they ask them. These are Democrats, they're going to have some due diligence.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Fair points, thanks.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh I'm the odd man out here. I'd rather congress gave us something public regardless of how it effects Mueller if only because as a member of the public I feel we're only in this position because we kept shit in the dark from the public.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Any idea why this is in the House Oversight Committee and not the judicial or intelligence committees? I guess they aren't asking Russia questions so that wouldn't fit in the HIC?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Did we ever find out what happened to all of the money that those companies paid Cohen? I'm hoping that comes up.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Any idea why this is in the House Oversight Committee and not the judicial or intelligence committees? I guess they aren't asking Russia questions so that wouldn't fit in the HIC?

It's their first week.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Isn't Oversight one of the more powerful committees in terms of legal authority? Like the chair can unilaterally subpoena, things like that? That combined with their general area of responsibility being "the government as a whole" probably means they can be pretty wideranging about things.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I would imagine that House Democrats would let him not answer anything that might interfere with ongoing investigations. Plus since Democrats aren’t actively working to help Trump break the law, they might run some of their questions by Mueller ahead of time.

Odds are, however, pretty strong on Republicans asking him those very questions so that when he refuses to answer, they can scream WHAT ARE YOU HIDING

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    They've got everything from him already. If he lies they'll know it instantly. This is a good way to put pressure on Trump.
    It's also the Congress acting independently of Mueller. We've all fretted over Mueller being able to continue doing his job (which he's been a badass at), but there's nothing the administration can do to stop the Congress in this regard.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Isn't Oversight one of the more powerful committees in terms of legal authority? Like the chair can unilaterally subpoena, things like that? That combined with their general area of responsibility being "the government as a whole" probably means they can be pretty wideranging about things.

I'd say so.
    House Rule X, clause 4(c)(2), provides that the Committee “may at any time conduct investigations of any matter without regard to clause 1, 2, 3, or this clause [of House Rule X] conferring jurisdiction over the matter to another standing committee.”

It's Gowdy's old committee.

Edit: Their investigative legacy includes investigated Major League Baseball and Benghazi.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

Odds are, however, pretty strong on Republicans asking him those very questions so that when he refuses to answer, they can scream WHAT ARE YOU HIDING

I really hope Cohen is all out of fucks when it comes to responding to that.

"What am I hiding? Sorry, I can't respond due to possible pending criminal charges against my former employer. And you knew this, Congressperson X. Or are you trying to interfere in an ongoing federal investigation?". Something along that line of response.

I don't expect it. But it's pretty clear Cohen has nothing to gain from kowtowing to these assholes.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wonder how many things he won't be able to recall.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Cohen probably has a sweet ass deal in the works where if he does this he spends his time at a white collar minimum security prison with a goddamn golf course or something. He's getting -something- out of doing this from someone.

that said the 7th is so far away I've gotta imagine something drops before then, especially from the new House Intelligence Chairman, Adam Schiff.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Cohen is already going to jail and has an axe to grind with Trump so I don't think he has much impetus to hold back.

Giuliani: We should be able to 'correct' the Mueller report before anyone sees it.
    “As a matter of fairness, they should show it to you — so we can correct it if they’re wrong,” he told The Hill. “They’re not God, after all. They could be wrong.”

I cannot believe this guy used to be an attorney.

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Cohen is already going to jail and has an axe to grind with Trump so I don't think he has much impetus to hold back.

Giuliani: We should be able to 'correct' the Mueller report before anyone sees it.
    “As a matter of fairness, they should show it to you — so we can correct it if they’re wrong,” he told The Hill. “They’re not God, after all. They could be wrong.”

The Giuliani who famously said "truth isn't truth"?

I wouldn't let him any where near that report.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

Um wouldn't tampering with a document like that after it is produced be a direct case of obstruction of justice?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    kaid wrote: »

Um wouldn't tampering with a document like that after it is produced be a direct case of obstruction of justice?

Yes this is just dumb. There is no cleverness to this, just ill-formed syllables drooling out of Giuliani’s word maker

Captain Inertia on
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I should have asked my college professors to let me see my grades before they submitted them. Pretty sure some of them were wrong.

What a jackass

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Maybe he just wants to make sure that Mueller got all the crimes! There could be some he missed, after all...

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Something in there must really have them scared shitless for them to make such a blatant case for tampering

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Neal Katyal, former Solicitor General of the US, actually breaks this down. Long tweet thread.

tl;dr is, when Mueller submits his report, the AG can refute, deny, choose to not pursue etc. any point in the report. But in doing so, it has to be reported to congress that the AG has chosen to do this. So everything in the report, as written by Mueller, will be public, regardless of the AG's actions once it's submitted.

nibXTE7.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Something in there must really have them scared shitless for them to make such a blatant case for tampering

Given what Trump is threatening to do in other areas of the government, I'm not sure they consider this "blatant" anymore. They trying to push until they get pushback, but they're not getting enough pushback on shit they flat out should not be allowed to do.

Neal Katyal, former Solicitor General of the US, actually breaks this down. Long tweet thread.

tl;dr is, when Mueller submits his report, the AG can refute, deny, choose to not pursue etc. any point in the report. But in doing so, it has to be reported to congress that the AG has chosen to do this. So everything in the report, as written by Mueller, will be public, regardless of the AG's actions once it's submitted.

Can Appendix A be all of Trump’s tax returns, please, Mueller-senpai?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They don't know what's in there. They're counting on the ignorance of their followers RE: the legal process involved to gain support for this sort of ridiculous shit.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Not after they tamper with the report about them tampering with the first report.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Mueller's report is definitely gonna come out, regardless of what the DoJ or White House do

Henroid wrote: »
    They don't know what's in there. They're counting on the ignorance of their followers RE: the legal process involved to gain support for this sort of ridiculous shit.

Well, thanks to Manafort and his team of legal eagles they do know that Muller knows they were sending polling data to Russia to help them coordinate their interference with the election.

So that’s at least one thing they know is in the report, and that alone should be enough to scare them shitless.

Well, thanks to Manafort and his team of legal eagles they do know that Muller knows they were sending polling data to Russia to help them coordinate their interference with the election.

So that’s at least one thing they know is in the report, and that alone should be enough to scare them shitless.
    Then they should be working on a defense / counter-argument, not requesting to tamper with the report directly. :P

Then they should be working on a defense / counter-argument, not requesting to tamper with the report directly. :P

Fraud got them into this mess, and by god they are going to try and use it to get out of it too.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Fraud got them into this mess, and by god they are going to try and use it to get out of it too.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, no collusion, you're the puppet!

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I dunno. I think it's equally possible that they'd blatantly tamper with the report, not because of crimes and ethical breaches. But because it's something that Trump would find humiliating.

"Yeah, leave the stuff about the collusion, and the bribery, and the tax fraud. But by god, if there's a reference to how overweight/underendowed/financially indebted I am, I will raise all kinds of hell!"

Because this reality is THAT farcical. I mean, as we've seen, the current issue with the shutdown isn't that there's a policy difference at play. It's because Trump doesn't want to be seen to be a loser. That's it. That's why people haven't been at work for more than two weeks. That's the sum total of why we're in a shutdown. Trump's ego.

It's fucking ridiculous what this asshole cares about, and doesn't care about.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Maybe he just wants to make sure that Mueller got all the crimes! There could be some he missed, after all...

"No, stupid, the illegal fundraising party we threw was on Thursday not Friday."

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

I think he's trying to destroy the credibility of the FBI

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

Something tells me there is no counter-argument to actually committing the crimes and someone proving that they did the crimes. It's the kind of thing our legal system was originally set up to sniff out. People doing crimes and trying to hide that crimes were done.

Steam: Spawnbroker
This discussion has been closed.