As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

podcast thread

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    To be fair

They frequently, and vocally, say that they are not musically gifted or knowledgable and are not qualified to provide insights on that front and are just doing goofs on songs

Which doesn't make it less grating if you are a musician or musically knowledgable but they are pretty upfront about what the show is

Yeah, that's certainly the case for some things. Hell, I certainly wouldn't consider myself a competent music critic.

But other times, their complaint is about a line not making sense and it's just, like, a metaphor. There's no music-specific knowledge that would be necessary. Sure, it may still be a dumb metaphor, but it grates me when they totally miss goofing on the meaning and talk about how they don't understand it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Activision is still gonna get a piece of all the Destiny 1 and 2 business. They published those games, they're still theirs.

Destiny 3 onwards, they won't touch.

D3stiny 2020 confirmed.

That was preeeeetty much already known.

The thing is that the next big D2 expansion that was probably planned to come out next fall is very much a question mark now.

Was there another one coming?

Probably! Their whole "10-year plan" thing with on-years with numbered entries and off-years with expansions seems to have gotten expanded to a 3-year cycle when they decided to use The Taken King to fix the first game and I'm pretty sure everybody assumed 2019 was D2 exp2 and 2020 was D3.

Now who knows. But still probably D3 in 2020.

If Destiny 3 is going to be a game that Bungie has full control over, they'll probably want to produce that and then just build off of that for the rest of time

I got the feeling that the numbered sequel thing was just part of the contract and they would vastly prefer to just have the one platform they continually add things to, and that's probably part of the reason they wanted out of the contract to begin with

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    If you read the short article linked it will say that bungie was contractually obligated to release a new game or major expansion every year and that bungie will be self-publishing destiny going forward

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey what if Bungie stopped signing big contracts with major corporations that are gonna make them do shit they don't wanna do

they did it twice now!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hey what if Bungie stopped signing big contracts with major corporations that are gonna make them do shit they don't wanna do

they did it twice now!

It's not really easy to get your company to a place where it's practical to not do that.

• Options

they did it twice now!

Now my fear is that bungie will develop and scrap iterations of games indefinitely as happened with, but not limited to, halo 2 and destiny 1

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

they did it twice now!

It's not really easy to get your company to a place where it's practical to not do that.

but if anyone in the games industry could've done that, it sure seems like The Halo People could do that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah Bungie can’t exactly kickstart Destiny.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

they did it twice now!

but if anyone in the games industry could've done that, it sure seems like The Halo People could do that
    Not if the game they wanted to make was Destiny

That is an incredibly huge, expensive undertaking to ask of a newly independent studio

Now that they have a fair bit of experience making that kind of game it is far more reasonable

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

they did it twice now!

Yeah. Supposedly Bungie's now getting capital from NetEase.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

they did it twice now!

Yeah. Supposedly Bungie's now getting capital from NetEase.

$100 million in 2018 which is no chump change

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

*stares at star citizen*

Are you sure?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

they did it twice now!

Now my fear is that bungie will develop and scrap iterations of games indefinitely as happened with, but not limited to, halo 2 and destiny 1

Also Halo 1, which was an RTS and then a 3rd person shooter and a Mac exclusive until they ran out of money and Microsoft bought them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

*stares at star citizen*

Are you sure?

Destiny is a video game, though

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    star citizen should not be used as an example of anything but getting away with something

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean I guess Bungie could shift out of game development and get into money laundering

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Also the star citizen kickstarter only raised 2 mil (and the rest is coming from who the fuck knows where). Didn’t Activision pump half a billion into the original destiny?

• Options
    The kickstarter total is kind of immaterial at this point when they've raised more than two hundred million in crowdfunding by showing people concept renders

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

*stares at star citizen*

Are you sure?

Boy does that example not move the needle

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    As someone who plays too much Destiny 2, I'm pretty positive about this.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Also the star citizen kickstarter only raised 2 mil (and the rest is coming from who the fuck knows where). Didn’t Activision pump half a billion into the original destiny?

you can buy ships for thousands of real-world US dollars

so whales, basically

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Halo 1 remains the only Bungie title I really like, but I’m interested to see what this means for their output in the future.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Are they going it completely alone, or are they going look for a new publishing partner? Because they probably won't go first party, which would basically mean EA, Ubisoft and Warner are the most likely candidates. I'm sure THQ Nordic would like a bite of that apple but Bungie might be out of their league.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Are they going it completely alone, or are they going look for a new publishing partner? Because they originally won't go first party, which would basically mean EA, Ubisoft and Warner are the most likely candidates. I'm sure THQ Nordic would like a bite of that apple but Bungie might be out of their league.
    They say they will be self-publishing in their statement so for now they are going solo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Bioware can hire bungie for anthem

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    As quick as everyone is to write off Anthem, it seems like it's turning out potentially pretty well

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    As quick as everyone is to write off Anthem, it seems like it's turning out potentially pretty well
    Oh no I think it looks really cool

I wish they would put out a full remix of that muse song they used in that one trailer though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i wonder when the anthem alpha nda wears off

probably never

• Options
    Ea has anthem, ubisoft has the division

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I'm curious about it, but I'm also very concerned about them chasing after Destiny money when it feels like Destiny isn't even making Destiny money anymore, but maybe I'm just not keeping up with how big that game still is

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's a rumor that Warner Animation is doing a Mortal Kombat film, so maybe that's what the Rousey stuff is for?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    There's a rumor that Warner Animation is doing a Mortal Kombat film, so maybe that's what the Rousey stuff is for?

that would be significantly worse than if she was in the game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    As previously mentioned, Ronda Rousey is a terrible actress

EDIT: Oh wait, animation. Still probably not great since I doubt she's somehow a better voice actress.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    As previously mentioned, Ronda Rousey is a terrible actress

EDIT: Oh wait, animation. Still probably not great since I doubt she's somehow a better voice actress.

i meant worse in terms of like

if shes just the character model and voice in a game i can just not play that character

if shes in the movie I kinda have to determine if I wanna skip the thing entirely

(my own dumb moral rules, im sure everyones set is different)

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I would guess that if Destiny were to be on Battle.net going forward, they'd work out a deal with Activision where they'd get some cut of sales in exchange for being on their platform. I definitely wouldn't expect Destiny 2 to ever leave Battle.net, because I'd imagine it'd be largely impossible to extract it from that infrastructure given how Destiny 2 is structured

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think I'm about done with Destiny 2
    I came back for Forsaken, which I really enjoyed, but I've found the Dreaming City stuff too obtuse to navigate, and I'm likely never going to put in the effort for the new forges, which means that annual pass was absolutely a waste of money

I'll keep a more critical eye on whatever comes next. I haven't regretted sinking the time into D2 but I've gotten all the returns I expect I can. 3 will need more of a shakeup

• Options
    I wouldn't mind if destiny 3 was delayed significantly

destiny 2 was destiny but better, 3 needs to be a radical restructuring, in my opinion

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I worry that catering to the absolute end game and also making grinding up light level a miserable slog has, apparently, gotten everyone way into the game again.

I guess it makes sense because that's what Destiny was, and Destiny 2 not really capturing the entire playerbase again was likely because they eased the leveling curve a lot and removed a lot of mindless grinding

But it's a bit of a bummer that the trajectory of the game and the decisions which seem to have found them the most success really just establish that Destiny is 100% Not For Me.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Okay, part way into listening to the new PUtJ, they really aren’t dumping on the song at all. I’m definitely coming away from this with more respect for Alanis, than I already had.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Aurahack and Lena Rain are on the Beastcast today!

Dont look at the comments!

This discussion has been closed.