As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2019
    If we're doing 21st century, the short list would contain the likes of Fury Road, Prometheus, BR 2049, possibly Interstellar, possibly Inception.

Edit: Throw some No Country For Old Men in there.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Pretty Americentric list, which I guess is to be expected. Still, I think The Conformist in the top 10 is a really good pick. So much of why that film works is because of Storaro's lighting and camera work. There are some films on that top 100 that were going to look good in the hands of a competent DoP (rather than a master) simply because of excellent production design.

No films from 1928-1938 is disappointing.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If we're doing 21st century, the short list would contain the likes of Fury Road, Prometheus, BR 2049, possibly Interstellar, possibly Inception.

Sicario, Arrival perhaps?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bladerunner2049 for 21st century movies indeed.

That movie is the kind of film that gets people interested in making movies.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I still think It Follows is one of the best shot movies of recent years.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Id say interstellar or inception but not both

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I'd probably put The Last Jedi up there too. That it was as visually impressive as it was wound up being overshadowed by Rian Johnson personally murdering the pets and close relations of franchise fans.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This is cinematography right?

I don't think arrival was all that interesting on that front.

Some 21st century contenders:

Fury Road
    The Proposition
    Life of Pi
    Inception
    *cough* speed racer

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'd probably put The Last Jedi up there too. That it was as visually impressive as it was wound up being overshadowed by Rian Johnson personally murdering the pets and close relations of franchise fans.

Both TFA and TLJ and visually stunning. The Falcon escape scene in FTA had me in tears.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    20th Century? Sure.

Citizen Kane
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Rashomon
    Raging Bull

You just got epic dab’d

Dammit, that's also not a bad list.

You have failed me.

(I actually don't recall the cinematography in Raging Bull. 2001 is gorgeous, though, even if I find it boring as snot for large stretches.)

I also agree 2001 is rather boring but to me best cinematography are the movies where you think of the look more than the story or anything in it, a good performance or music or what have you. First thing I think of is the look. That's why the only thing that might compete with Citizen Kane is possibly, possibly, Paddington 3.

Raging Bull fits this because while it isn't even in Marty Score's top three overall, it's known for the boxing and the slow-mo shots but the entire thing is like perfecting the camerawork of the 40's and 50's. That scene where DeNiro walks over to beat the shit out of Pesci and the chaos and then cutting to the TV static, mwah.

This is why I would put Oldboy so high up on my all-time list too; it's not even the best in Chan Wook Park's revenge trilogy let alone his top 3 movies (JSA #1, I'm a Cyborg #2, Lady Vengeance #3) but it totally owns everything to do with camerawork and the flow of the film to the point where that hallway fight is just the extra cherry on top, it was already doing amazing things without that scene, like the dude doing that weird yoga or when the dude gets scissor'd lolz cut it out

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    TLJ had some nice scenes but I don't think I'd say it was one of the 10 best shot films of the last eighteen years. TFA even less so.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Especially not TFA. Like TFA has a couple of nice scenes, but it also has a bunch of really dull, boring interiors with nothing interesting going on to differentiate it whatsoever.

Like there's just nothing interesting happening here at all, and there's way worse looking scenes than this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kUx9oL1wqE

It's not bad, but it's certainly not great.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Master and Commander was a beautiful movie that looked, in certain frames, like a renaissance painting. Grand Budapest Hotel is probably Wes Anderson's best looking movie, but YMMV if his style bounces right off you.

BR2049 is probably the most gloriously shot movie I've seen for a decade or more. I'm still astonished about that film.

Bogart on
  • Options
    If I had to pick 10 for the 21st century:

Leviathan
    Millennium Mambo
    Colossal Youth
    Kaili Blues
    Songs From the Second Floor
    Story of My Death
    Miami Vice
    The Assassination of Jesse James
    Hard to be a God
    The New World

I'm sure there's stuff I'm overlooking, but I think most of those I'd have trouble leaving off.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    21st century cinematography masterpieces
    Spiderman into the spiderverse
    Sunshine
    Gravity
    Zodiac
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    In the favorite I was curious why they wrapped her leg in beef to treat gout

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Bladerunner2049 for 21st century movies indeed.

That movie is the kind of film that gets people interested in making movies.

The sound work in that movie was fucking incredible in the theaters.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »

Leviathan
    Millennium Mambo
    Colossal Youth
    Kaili Blues
    Story of My Death
    Miami Vice
    Hard to be a God
    The New World

I'm sure there's stuff I'm overlooking, but I think most of those I'd have trouble leaving off.
    This Leviathan?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-45NTlgp-o

• Options
    Bah, I forgot There Will Be Blood!

Gorgeous movie.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    Road to Perdition needs to be on some of these lists

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Skyfall has some pretty amazing cinematography. Other random 21st century movies that come to mind:

-The Fountain
    -Werckmeister Harmonies
    -Scott Pilgrim
    -Grand Budapest and Moonrise Kingdom
    -Zodiac
    -Children of Men
    -Lord of the Rings
    -Hero
    -Drive

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Drive was real purty, yes.

Only God Forgives was also purty, though also stupid and masturbatory.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Leviathan
    Millennium Mambo
    Colossal Youth
    Kaili Blues
    Story of My Death
    Miami Vice
    Hard to be a God
    The New World

This Leviathan?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-45NTlgp-o

Pretty sure they're talking about this
    https://youtu.be/ShHHt61-MAY

Which I would agree with. No dialogue, just haunting images that propel a (admittedly simple) narrative.

• Options
    It's the fishing documentary, yeah. The best use of go-pros yet; a purely sensory piece of cinematography that abstracts very real environments to the point of bewilderment. There is some ambiguity about the title, though. There's also a 2014 Russian film that's pretty well known too.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Miami Vice

I can't speak for most of your picks, but Miami Vice was a lesser version of Heat and Collateral in my opinion. Both far surpass it in terms of story and action and visuals. I would go with Collateral over Miami Vice if I had to pick a 21st Century pick, but Miami Vice is a lesser entry in Michael Mann's filmography, much less film as a whole.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Here's the trailer for Velvet Buzzsaw, the Netflix film starring Jake Gyllenhall and directed by Dan Gilroy, who worked together previously on Nightcrawler.

Jake Gyllenhall plays an art auctioneer whose sight is beginning to go bad, and that's all I knew about it before watching the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAR-lK43YU
    I was not expecting the film to go the way it apparently does!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oh, Miami Vice is definitely not a great film (I don't think Hard to be a God is either). But it's either that or Public Enemies if I'm picking stuff that looks fantastic and also unlike anything else before it. I might be persuaded to go with Public Enemies actually, just because its formal decisions build a kind stylistic anachronism; so many period pieces try to match the remembered visual textures of their time and that one goes in the opposite direction. A lot of people criticized, or continue to criticize Mann's preference for very digital looking cinematography, but I think it's the most interesting thing he's pushed as a filmmaker. He can keep repeating his romantic brand of tortured masculinity, but I'm watching his films for their visual (edit: and sound!---he's extremely conscious of sound design) decisions primarily.

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Having rewatched FA and TLJ, yeah, I'll second how completely boring it looks. TLJ has such a great style and excellent use of colour comparatively. Whatever your thoughts are on it it is very confidently shot. Force Awakens is just.... there. The only memorable moments are near the end with the attack on Star Killer base and the fight in the woods. JJ has some weird camera choices as well that make some scenes look cheap as hell (dutch angles for no reason especially).

• Options
    Mann is somehow able to shoot mundane, tedious things like a jet plane taking off against the sky and make it seem compelling and new. Kind of like how Lynch is able to make familiar things seem sinister.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I wanted to throw Lord of the Rings into the ring but since it’s already been mentioned I have no choice but to instead reveal my very spiciest cinematography take

Les Misérables (2012)’s much-vilified cinematography is goegeous, bold, and an excellent homage to Passion of Joan of Arc

https://youtube.com/watch?v=86lczf7Bou8

rr46bj17ayvw.jpeg

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Having rewatched FA and TLJ, yeah, I'll second how completely boring it looks. TLJ has such a great style and excellent use of colour comparatively. Whatever your thoughts are on it it is very confidently shot. Force Awakens is just.... there. The only memorable moments are near the end with the attack on Star Killer base and the fight in the woods. JJ has some weird camera choices as well that make some scenes look cheap as hell (dutch angles for no reason especially).

JJ just isn't a very good filmmaker, beyond the lense flare issue, he just isn't that interesting.

His true strength lies in advertising really. Bitch about the mystery box all you want as a form of getting hype in the internet age its great. It just sucks as anything else. Any story that hinges upon it will suck by default because there is no way anything a film-maker can make anything that matches the mystery people have made in their minds.

Not being hyped about IX because I know the ad campaign will be great, but everything else will be less then average.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    For that list of Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, Citizen Kane and The Godfather:

Working from a concept of cinematography focusing on usage of movement, depth of field, lighting, saturation and color, I'm not sure I'd put the Godfather or Apocalypse Now on that list. Both of them feel very visually "samey" in my mind. They seem like they made the list for sound, acting, direction and special effects.

Lawrence of Arabia has ridiculously long shots that do awesome work evoking the desert. I think it also gets to cheat with the focus it can put on Peter O'Toole.

Citizen Kane is basically famous for its cinematic ingenuity and lighting techniques.

Blade Runner provides a visually interesting world that occasionally holds on its bleak, smokey, solitary indoor scenes for too long. But I can see it on the list.

For the 20th Century, I feel like Barry Lyndon deserves special mention for Kubrick basically using the best lenses ever made to shoot actual candlelight to evoke the time period (I'd probably even put The Shining above 2001 for cinematography). Saving Private Ryan basically prompted decades of desaturated, controlled shakey-cam war movies by itself (Schindler's List as an honorable mention). Joan of Arc is probably up there too, but I don't think it deserves top 5.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Godfather really is famous for its cinematography. They don’t call Gordon Willis the Prince of Darkness for nothing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Saving Private Ryan was my #6 for 20th Century because it really did change everything for war movies (and video games).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    No award for Taken 3?

World record most cuts within 10 seconds! You barely even notice!

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That would be for the 'Most Editing' category.

It's like staring into a strobe light.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I can’t nominate Les Miserables simply because how much the cinematography works against the energy and performances

It’s a beautiful thing done badly

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Man I don’t like disagreeing with @Tenzytile , but much like @Astaereth and David Fincher, I don’t think we’ll ever come to terms about the merits of Michael Mann.

Atomika on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I can’t nominate Les Miserables simply because how much the cinematography works against the energy and performances

It’s a beautiful thing done badly

Hot Obvious take: Maybe Tom Hooper doesn't actually know what he's doing.

This discussion has been closed.