As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West date guesses

IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
So Wyrmwood just released their convention schedule https://wyrmwoodgaming.com/about-us/convention-schedule-2018/

And they have two cons taking place when Pax usually does (if I'm reading this right.)

But they confirm that they will be at West with TBA. Could it mean a mid-Sept date?

Apologies if it's early but I got kinda excited for new info.

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    So Wyrmwood just released their convention schedule https://wyrmwoodgaming.com/about-us/convention-schedule-2018/

And they have two cons taking place when Pax usually does (if I'm reading this right.)

But they confirm that they will be at West with TBA. Could it mean a mid-Sept date?

Apologies if it's early but I got kinda excited for new info.

And it's definitely something new. The idea of it happening in September is pretty wild IMO. This should be interesting to keep an eye on.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • smayxsmayx Registered User new member
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Normally, PAX West is on Labor Day weekend except every four year when it's bumped by some other event with a prior registration at the convention center. 2007, 2011, and 2015. Going by that pattern, 2019 wouldn't be on Labor Day.

However, if you look at the booked events at the WSCC there is a conspicuous gap on Labor Day. PAX requires time (supposedly a whole week) both before and after the event for setup and teardown. Another method to tell when PAX will be is look for hotel bookings. The Sheraton is showing sold out for Labor Day weekend, but not any of the other weekends in September. This is because blocks of rooms are reserved to be released when badges go on sale.
    nn6e4sc5ygqy.png

YoungFrey on
  • midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Normally, PAX West is on Labor Day weekend except every four year when it's bumped by some other event with a prior registration at the convention center. 2007, 2011, and 2015. Going by that pattern, 2019 wouldn't be on Labor Day.

However, if you look at the booked events at the WSCC there is a conspicuous gap on Labor Day. PAX requires time (supposedly a whole week) both before and after the event for setup and teardown. Another method to tell when PAX will be is look for hotel bookings. The Sheraton is showing sold out for Labor Day weekend, but not any of the other weekends in September. This is because blocks of rooms are reserved to be released when badges go on sale.
    nn6e4sc5ygqy.png

I agree. I started looking for hotels to book hella early - basically, a week after PAX West was finished. I noticed that most of the hotels in the area were already booked for Labor Day Weekend.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I am hedging my bet on West breaking the mold from the evidence we've seen so far.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    midna wrote: »
    I agree. I started looking for hotels to book hella early - basically, a week after PAX West was finished. I noticed that most of the hotels in the area were already booked for Labor Day Weekend.
    I may or may not have already reserved my spot at the homewood...

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    edited March 2019
    For awhile now, there hasn't really been a question of when PAX West 2019 will be, but I know people want to be really sure before making hard commitments. The Washington State Convention Center recently added a number of dates to their Upcoming Events page. I of course can't give official dates for PAX (I both don't have them and it would not be my place), but at this point, PAX West is either: on Labor Day or not in August or September. This is of course on top of the fact that all OnPeak hotels are booked up for Labor Day weekend too.
    tl672oneji8j.png
    Bonus, even if they wanted to move it into October, that would mean finishing up West and everybody flying to Australia to do another PAX that coming Friday.

YoungFrey on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure that site has much more info than youngfrey posted. those dates do make sense, but it's not official until it's official.

you and youngfrey repeated pretty much exact earlier posts you already made in this same thread :)

zerzhul on
    haha I thought it was a different thread :)

Also, by the time it's official the accommodation options are too expensive. My partial reasoning for posting that was so that if it was wrong, they'd get it taken down and that would help in deciding to book early, which I have. Hope I'm right!

• SlowOctopusSlowOctopus Registered User regular
    Heads up for all you wild speculation fans!!

A bunch of new events have been added to the WSCC September calendar. Unless PAX is sharing the convention center with other events, it seems like the second, third, and fourth weekends of September might be out.

The largest block of time with no events scheduled is August 22nd - September 7th. That would be plenty of time for setup and teardown if they keep it on Labor Day weekend!

lo9ta7am5xk0.png
  • midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    I am personally making the assumption that it is on Labor Day Weekend again, simply because of the WA Convention Center calendar. Now all I have to do is get tickets...

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    This is why I love the forums. Thanks for the info SlowOctopus! I'm hedging bets too that it'll be on Labor Day weekend, especially with the APWA convention boasting about 3,000 attendees on Sep. 8th. That really narrows the scope I think for me to Labor day (one hopes).

• cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Another data point, WOTC thinks it will be Labor Day weekend: http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/gather-together

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
    I'm thinking the date reveal will be this week, any takers?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    curse wrote: »
    Another data point, WOTC thinks it will be Labor Day weekend: http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/gather-together

Checking this link today shows Pax West as "Dates TBD."

*tinfoil hat*
    We are being watched...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Call me crazy, but I just bet real money on Labor Day weekend - I reserved an AirBNB that's in the perfect location right behind the convention center (the Elektra building), yet cheaper than the official hotels. Had to do it while it was available, last year I was only able to get this place for half my trip. I can cancel, but I only get half my money back. Here's hoping!

Dreamwriter on
    Call me crazy, but I just bet real money on Labor Day weekend - I reserved an AirBNB that's in the perfect location right behind the convention center (the Elektra building), yet cheaper than the official hotels. Had to do it while it was available, last year I was only able to get this place for half my trip. I can cancel, but I only get half my money back. Here's hoping!

You are far braver than I would ever be but I have a feeling it will pay off! Fortune favors the bold after all.

It's probable enough that I'll be hitting F5 on the PAX West page for the next few days. Maybe on the PAX Dev page too, just in case.

lo9ta7am5xk0.png

It's probable enough that I'll be hitting F5 on the PAX West page for the next few days. Maybe on the PAX Dev page too, just in case.

It is very likely PAX West will be over Labor Day weekend. We have no particular reason to suspect badges will go on sale before May.
    Copied from the Badge thread:
    The last 3 years have been late May and early June.
    Obviously, past sales dates and behaviors aren't proof of future actions, but PAX West tickets have not gone on sale before May since 2013.
    2009: Thursday 2/19
    2010: Friday 4/2
    2011: Friday 4/15
    2012: Wednesday 4/25
    2013: Wednesday 4/17
    2014: Wednesday 5/28
    2015: Thursday 5/7
    2016: Tuesday 6/7
    2017: Thursday 6/8
    2018: Thursday 5/31
    Also, probably won't be on a Monday or Friday

YoungFrey is almost certainly right that West passes won't go on sale soon. And I agree that West will probably be over Labor Day weekend. If PAX Dev passes go on sale though, we'd be able to know for sure!

At this point, I'm just hyped about getting any new info, even if I can't buy my badges yet!

lo9ta7am5xk0.png
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    I am still showing rooms available at the Sheraton that weekend... Just sayin.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    Still no date announcement buuuuuut

Found this on the Visit Seattle tourism site - https://www.visitseattle.org/events/pax-west-2019/

Nothing is official of course, but yet another data point for folks. Unfortunately my favorite hotel is completely sold out for that weekend :(

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    On Bill Amend's upcoming events page, it lists PAX West as August 30th - September 2nd.

https://www.foxtrot.com/2018/10/29/meet-bill-amend-2019/

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    From Gameosity:
    https://gameosity.com/2019/05/01/pax-unplugged-pax-west-2019-dates-announced/
    -> PAX West returns to Seattle’s Washington State Convention Center Aug. 30 – Sept. 2

edited May 2019
    Yup, it's official!!

SlowOctopus on
    lo9ta7am5xk0.png
    *excited screaming* the hype is in full swing now!

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    let the good times roll

ZYseqtZ.png
  • solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Nice

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Woot, my bet paid off! I have a great condo to stay at right behind the convention center during PAX, and the dates I reserved line up with the official dates. I like to take breaks during PAX, get away for everyone a bit to recharge, so I'm happy to get that location, so I can take quick breaks and get right back in.

Dreamwriter on
  • Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    I'm trying to keep myself calm lol now it is time to be hyper vigilant.

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular

Its all about the PAX checker! Has never failed me!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    Bluemeane wrote: »

I've never heard of this before, but I'm downloading it right now!

lo9ta7am5xk0.png
  • krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    Bluemeane wrote: »

Twitter SMS notifications and checking the site every 15 minutes on the quarter hours has never failed me.

Well, it's been fun speculating with y'all over these past few months. I always love the hype leading up to passes going on sale. Whatever strategy you used, I hope it helped you score your tickets!

lo9ta7am5xk0.png