As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think now might be the time for Pelosi and Schumer to bring up the fact that they have the votes to override a veto. McConnell is hiding behind a veto so he doesn't have to acknowledge responsibility for this mess, and I think it's time to shine some light on him.

"You have 100 votes for this bill, Mitch. It only takes 67 to kill a veto. Why don't you want to end this shutdown and stop the unnecessary suffering of millions of people, Mitch?"

You need two-thirds of both chambers. They don't have the votes to override a veto in the House

Yet. There are already 10 public defections.

They need 46 more. That's...a lot

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    TLS certificates have expired for 80 government websites, and because of the shutdown there's nobody around to renew them. I don't have a full list but NASA, the DOJ, and Court of Appeals are part of what's affected.

Edit - This means the sites are down, btw.

They work fine for me? I'm on a phone though.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    How much of the government will keep getting paid until money runs out? What's the skeleton like after the rest starve or quit or something?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Man, whose bottom line needs to be hurt for Mitch to get the right phone call to end this shit...

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TLS certificates have expired for 80 government websites, and because of the shutdown there's nobody around to renew them. I don't have a full list but NASA, the DOJ, and Court of Appeals are part of what's affected.

They work fine for me? I'm on a phone though.
    The comment I saw about it may be wrong about them being down I guess. At the very least don't log in or submit info because the security is non-existent.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The actual emergency is that Trump might "look foolish".
    And we can't have that. Better the whole country burn than his ego / feelings be hurt.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I haven't seen this posted. Headlines are starting to name McConnell.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics/senate-blocks-vote-congress-shutdown/index.html
    Mitch McConnell blocks Senate Democrats' move to reopen government

By Clare Foran and Ted Barrett, CNN

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    Man, whose bottom line needs to be hurt for Mitch to get the right phone call to end this shit...

I don't know of anyone's that would do it, including his own. As others have pointed out, if he rallies the Senate to open the government, he's going to have a very tough primary. If he doesn't open the government, then whoever his opponent in 2020 is, has the stick to beat him with over and over and over again. He could announce his retirement, make all of this moot, and just go home for the next two years. I'm not sure that even having the slimeball at gunpoint would move him to do anything. He's goosed no matter what he does.

So for him, the only rational move is to do nothing.

He's letting the Democrats fight his battle with the President for him.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Mitch's bottom line

Which is...

He's probably not going to be re-elected and I think he knows it

He's a complete self-serving parasite

He's disgustingly wealthy

I doubt he even really cares about the GOP...

So who knows

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Mitch McConnell's

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mitch McConnell is probably the safest shitlord as far as being held accountable by voters goes. We're stuck with him for a while.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mitch McConnell is probably the safest shitlord as far as being held accountable by voters goes. We're stuck with him for a while.

Unless he turns on Trump, which is why he's loath to do it.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Edit Edit - Some of those sites are still up but as far as submitting anything to them (login, forms, etc) goes it's a bad idea because there's no security and that stuff can be intercepted. According to the nerds I know who are experts on this stuff.

It doesn't mean there's no security, it just means you have to manually inspect the certificate to verify you're talking to the right system. The certs are effectively just a good now as they were last week, however they have an embedded expiry date in case they get compromised in the future and infinite duration certs is bad practice. Automated verification will fail but you can still accept them and things are still basically secure

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Speaking as a Kentucky resident, McConnell isn't nearly as safe as everyone outside the state seems to think. He's pretty unpopular here. A solid Democratic challenger could probably beat him if they were actually funded properly and not a wishy-washy moron like McConnell's last challenger.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The GOP has been shit since the deep South switch and the opposition to the Civil Rights Act, so I won't mourn it's eventual passing, but it had hitched itself to the worst impulses of the country, including Trump

So they're basically stuck

And I say fuck em

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    "We lose 300 Americans a week, 90% of which comes through the Southern Border. These numbers will be DRASTICALLY REDUCED if we have a Wall!"

Trump just tweeted that.

What the fuck does that even mean? He's not even explaining how A supposedly connects to B anymore.

Is this the Rumplestiltskin phase of his presidency where he hops around mad while spluttering before ripping in half or something?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    "We lose 300 Americans a week, 90% of which comes through the Southern Border. These numbers will be DRASTICALLY REDUCED if we have a Wall!"

Trump just tweeted that.

What the fuck does that even mean? He's not even explaining how A supposedly connects to B anymore?

Is this the Rumplestiltskin phase of his presidency where he hops around mad while spluttering before ripping in half or something?

Presumably he's talking about fentanyl deaths? But I'm not sure that 90% part is even true? And certainly doesn't imply to the uncontrolled portion?

Maybe he's learning that if he keeps his statements vague it's harder to have them thrown back at you later? Been a rough one for him today.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That's not even vague it's just gibberish.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    How close are we to the Senate removing McConnell from Majority Leader and installing someone that will reopen the government?

We’re already well past the point of tyranny of the minority.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    How close are we to the Senate removing McConnell from Majority Leader and installing someone that will reopen the government?

We’re already well past the point of tyranny of the minority.

Extremely far away.

The GOP senators aren't exactly tugging at their collars awkwardly. They're content to let this go on as long as it takes, we've seen this, and I don't think they're going to budge.

He's their shield in all this.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's amazing how fast the GOP has worked to make excuses for the whole "Mexico will pay for it." deal.

Trump was joking! Mexico will pay for it via the new trade deals! We didn't mean they'd pay for it now or ever.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Speaking as a Kentucky resident, McConnell isn't nearly as safe as everyone outside the state seems to think. He's pretty unpopular here. A solid Democratic challenger could probably beat him if they were actually funded properly and not a wishy-washy moron like McConnell's last challenger.
    Why would you give me a glimmer of hope?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    It's amazing how fast the GOP has worked to make excuses for the whole "Mexico will pay for it." deal.

Trump was joking! Mexico will pay for it via the new trade deals! We didn't mean they'd pay for it now or ever.

Trump can never fail, he can only be failed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Trump just tweeted that.

What the fuck does that even mean? He's not even explaining how A supposedly connects to B anymore.

It's straight Hannity nonsense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Probably Fox News.

I'm sort of just...stunned that we're this close to seeing american institutions buckle over a fucking vanity project from an overgrown toddler. How much longer can 30% of this country fuck it up for themselves and the rest of us?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Probably Fox News.

I'm sort of just...stunned that we're this close to seeing american institutions buckle over a fucking vanity project from an overgrown toddler. How much longer can 30% of this country fuck it up for themselves and the rest of us?

As long as they have someone else to blame and/or believe is getting it worse than them.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It's just amazing watch a reporter talk to Kennedy about it, and he seriously says that the Mexico promise is not relevant to the topic which the shutdown is all about. They're so utterly divorced from reality now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Lou Dobbs is calling for a one party dictatorship out loud now.

Media Matters For America researcher, but the video is the video.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It's just amazing watch a reporter talk to Kennedy about it, and he seriously says that the Mexico promise is not relevant to the topic which the shutdown is all about. They're so utterly divorced from reality now.
    @Sterica which Kennedy is this exactly?

btw nice avatar choice.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I wouldn't say Trump constantly lying and denying it is a sign of dementia. It is his thing. It has literally always been his thing. He paid someone to ghostwrite a book about it. It's just until recently 99% of the people he talked were his employees so obviously they did not contradict him. He is not used to talking to anyone who is not completely subordinate to him.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Neely, sorry.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Trump just tweeted that.

What the fuck does that even mean? He's not even explaining how A supposedly connects to B anymore?

Presumably he's talking about fentanyl deaths? But I'm not sure that 90% part is even true? And certainly doesn't imply to the uncontrolled portion?

Maybe he's learning that if he keeps his statements vague it's harder to have them thrown back at you later? Been a rough one for him today.

Doesn’t most Fentanyl come in to the US through the mail and private shipping? (It is an actual drug used in hositals and such, so drug dealers basically make up a legit sounding source and destination and ship it, hoping no one notices and it gets through.)

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Saying the quiet parts ~out loud~

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

boy howdy did they just flip to the section on nazi germany and said "yeah this looks about fucking right"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Lou Dobbs was slowly slipping away from 100% always being on Trump's side of things. I guess the new Congress made him change his mind on all that, back to being a worker bee.

• Options

This fills me with fucking rage.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

First of all WHAT. Secondly THE FUCK.

If I give this a charitable reading - which it absolutely doesn't deserve - then Dobbs is talking about the wall issue. But holy cripes on toast it reads considerably different than that. "Sweep away the recalcitrant left"??

I mean, how the fuck would emergency powers to build a wall sweep ANYONE away? It really sounds like Dobbs is suggesting something incredibly vile, even with context.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Trump just tweeted that.

Doesn’t most Fentanyl come in to the US through the mail and private shipping? (It is an actual drug used in hositals and such, so drug dealers basically make up a legit sounding source and destination and ship it, hoping no one notices and it gets through.)

That's my understanding. That's the beauty of not saying what you're actually talking about anymore, though, nobody can call you out for lying.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

This fills me with fucking rage.

I think for a Fox network even this won't be without consequence if it ends up blowing up.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I mean, I don't see how that comment is not a call for civil war.

"Sweep aside the recalcitrant left" is a mind-boggling quote. It's certainly not a civil one.

This discussion has been closed.