As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Marvel Comics Thread Featuring Caving to Neo-Nazis and Wrongful Termination!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I cannot believe someone drew that without actually on some level thinking that a shifty rich lawyer being Jewish is a given

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So what's up with Chaykin? I think the first time I heard of him was him getting tons of praise for "American Flagg!", then it was him getting dunked on for some laughably bad art in modern comics (like that image from... a Punisher comic, was it? that had like 17 vanishing points or whatever), and now he's doing this. Is he doing that thing where seemingly-reasonable people get old and now suddenly it's the kids who are wrong, or was he always like this?

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Also shoutout to the sign for "Shithole, Arkansas"

Because if it's not on a coast, it's not a place worth being

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So, did an editor just look at that and go "yeah, okay"? What the fuck?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So what's up with Chaykin? I think the first time I heard of him was him getting tons of praise for "American Flagg!", then it was him getting dunked on for some laughably bad art in modern comics (like that image from... a Punisher comic, was it? that had like 17 vanishing points or whatever), and now he's doing this. Is he doing that thing where seemingly-reasonable people get old and now suddenly it's the kids who are wrong, or was he always like this?
    He made a comic called the Divided States of Hysteria that featured horrific transphobia and racism including a cover featuring a lynched Pakistani man with his genitals mutilated and a slur carved into his chest.

CYpGAPn.png
    Oh I misunderstood, I thought you were asking what his deal was

That page is from Gunning for Hits which is from Jeff Rougvie and Moritat

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Also shoutout to the sign for "Shithole, Arkansas"

Because if it's not on a coast, it's not a place worth being

also as someone from Shithole, Arkansas I can say no one tours here

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Oh, I mean, I know about that.

Is this kind of thing a recent development for him, or has he always been shitty and I just never knew about it?

Delduwath wrote: »
    Oh, I mean, I know about that.

Is this kind of thing a recent development for him, or has he always been shitty and I just never knew about it?
    He was always shitty it is just that the ways he was shitty were more accepted

American Flagg was intended as a satire so people overlooked a lot of the gross shit in it

Everything he has done since has had at least some of the same problems and folks started to speak up about them

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Oh I misunderstood, I thought you were asking what his deal was

That page is from Gunning for Hits which is from Jeff Rougvie and Moritat
    Oh, geez, OK, what happened is that I saw that page, saw that it was from an Image book, and my brain immediately went "Right, this must be that Chaykin book". I forgot the name of that one, and didn't realize that "Gunning for Hits" is not "Divided States of Hysteria" until I just refreshed this forum thread and noticed that I missed the quoted post, which made me realize the mistake I made.

So, yes, I was operating under the mistaken assumption that this was from the Howard Chaykin book. I guess it was idealistically naive of me to think that there was only one Image book with shitty imagery.

But, honestly, my question (though now revealed to be a non sequitur) is still something I'd been wondering about, so thank you for filling me in, Blank.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So, did an editor just look at that and go "yeah, okay"? What the fuck?

No editor (as far as I can tell), most of Image output is basically self-publishing.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Apparently Kurt Busiek is working on multiple projects for Marvel, one of which he says is fairly large.

I know he is doing the Annotated Marvels but he is one of a handful of the writers who got started in the 80s era who I think still has it and would be worth bringing back, so good get I guess

CYpGAPn.png
    Now I'm trying to think who I would bring back for this big anniversary thing they are doing

Like folks who can actually still tell a decent story and aren't shitty asshole gremlins

Busiek for sure. Claremont isn't amazing anymore but he isn't terrible and wrote a story about Magneto fucking up children concentration camps in the southwest last year so sure why not.

Ann Nocenti, she just launched a new book with David Aja last year and is still around. Walt Simonson, Louise Simonson, Bill Sienkiewicz. Hrm.

CYpGAPn.png
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Apparently Kurt Busiek is working on multiple projects for Marvel, one of which he says is fairly large.

I know he is doing the Annotated Marvels but he is one of a handful of the writers who got started in the 80s era who I think still has it and would be worth bringing back, so good get I guess

I'm a little surprised by him going back to Marvel for anything. Last interview I remember by him was back in like 2014 or 15 on Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, and he seemed pretty done with big publisher comics. Didn't like the restrictions on it compared to doing his own stuff. He didn't have bad things to say about them, just that he, adamantly, preferred doing his own stuff. Wonder what they offered him.

Now I'm trying to think who I would bring back for this big anniversary thing they are doing

Like folks who can actually still tell a decent story and aren't shitty asshole gremlins

Busiek for sure. Claremont isn't amazing anymore but he isn't terrible and wrote a story about Magneto fucking up children concentration camps in the southwest last year so sure why not.

Ann Nocenti, she just launched a new book with David Aja last year and is still around. Walt Simonson, Louise Simonson, Bill Sienkiewicz. Hrm.

Gerry Conway did a decent run on Renew Your Vows pretty recently

never die wrote: »

I'm a little surprised by him going back to Marvel for anything. Last interview I remember by him was back in like 2014 or 15 on Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, and he seemed pretty done with big publisher comics. Didn't like the restrictions on it compared to doing his own stuff. He didn't have bad things to say about them, just that he, adamantly, preferred doing his own stuff. Wonder what they offered him.
    I have to imagine it is some kind of Avengers story

Next to Marvels that is the Kurt Busiek Marvel work folks remember

CYpGAPn.png
    You know what else was good was Busiek's Iron Man

Just let Al Ewing and Kurt Busiek co-write and Avengers Eternal series where they cover the Avengers legacy from the present day to the distant future

CYpGAPn.png

I have to imagine it is some kind of Avengers story

Next to Marvels that is the Kurt Busiek Marvel work folks remember

Hmm maybe, but I would think it would have to come with very little strings attached for him to jump on it.
    Just let Al Ewing and Kurt Busiek co-write and Avengers Eternal series where they cover the Avengers legacy from the present day to the distant future

I would be 100% down for that.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Just in case folks thought Marvel or DC could be the only large companies to fuck up since it has been a while, since the Chaykin bullshit, here is a page from an Image comic that came out this week:

Where is Magneto when you need him?

edited January 2019
    I'm catching up on last week's comics, and
    1) Al Ewing is very good, and
    2) He does not fuck around

From Immortal Hulk #11 (spoilered for size):
    82djSbN.png?1
    jedhpc2.png?1
    5KrWoxw.png?1
    (If you're wondering why the Hulk is looking lanky and loose-skinned, it's because he was attacked by someone who drained some gamma out of him.)

Also he is doing such a good job of making the Hulk comic a horror comic, holy shit.

Delduwath on
    Tini Howard is doing a miniseries for Marvel with Ariel Olivetti: Thanos, set in the past and exploring his and Gamora's relationship as he raised her.

That is

Not what I would have expected as her first non-one shot story with Marvel but she is very good and will probably explore that abusive relationship with more tact and weight than anyone else has.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tini Howard is doing a miniseries for Marvel with Ariel Olivetti: Thanos, set in the past and exploring his and Gamora's relationship as he raised her.

That is

Not what I would have expected as her first non-one shot story with Marvel but she is very good and will probably explore that abusive relationship with more tact and weight than anyone else has.

She has a series called Euthenauts right now that is explicitly about death and dying and makes it hopeful and thoughtful

If anyone can do it she can

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

That is

She has a series called Euthenauts right now that is explicitly about death and dying and makes it hopeful and thoughtful

If anyone can do it she can

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

That is

Curious if they're going to movie-ize it or go with Starlin's original concept where the relationship was much more normal and healthy (between then at least. Thanos was still a supervillain) and Gamora becoming a cybernetic assassin was completely unintended and a big "I fucked up" moment for Thanos.

Remember when Thanos did Christmas for Gamora?

w8qcR40.jpg

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gamora was a cute kid.

So Marvel advertised the FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD'S GREATEST WEEK for this week online and in their books, saying it would be filled with announcements and news and huge reveals.

The week is over and the news is

They are adding the Fantastic Four to all of the Marvel mobile games and teased some sort of F4 content in PS4 Spider-Man

That's it

CYpGAPn.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So Marvel advertised the FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD'S GREATEST WEEK for this week online and in their books, saying it would be filled with announcements and news and huge reveals.

The week is over and the news is

They are adding the Fantastic Four to all of the Marvel mobile games and teased some sort of F4 content in PS4 Spider-Man

That's it

mission accomplished

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Turns out that's still the Fantastic Four's greatest week.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    They gave me a free digital copy of that first issue, which was ok

Ceno on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm guessing the PS4 stuff will just be a costume or two.

I'm guessing the PS4 stuff will just be a costume or two.
    Oh yeah I'm expecting the Bombastic Bag-Man and maybe adding the Baxter Building at most

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mentioned this in the Spider-Man thread I think, but I want them to add a side mission where Peter tries to join the Fantastic Four because he's broke, gets into a fight with them over a misunderstanding, and then learns that they don't get paid for being the FF

Maddoc wrote: »
    Mentioned this in the Spider-Man thread I think, but I want them to add a side mission where Peter tries to join the Fantastic Four because he's broke, gets into a fight with them over a misunderstanding, and then learns that they don't get paid for being the FF

That has always bugged me a little. It’s like, come on Reed, you cant spare like 100k a year to pay Spider-Man to help you?

Maddoc wrote: »

That has always bugged me a little. It’s like, come on Reed, you cant spare like 100k a year to pay Spider-Man to help you?
    Well whether or not they get paid or have access to the funds or whatever varies from run to run

Sometimes it is controlled by a trust that they have limited access to

Sometimes they just have free reign to whatever royalties and earnings they get from the brand

There was also that time Johnny got put in charge of the finances

That was fun

CYpGAPn.png
    ha ha neat

CYpGAPn.png
    That actually reminds me: Do the Avengers pay their members?

edited January 2019
    Normally, yes. I remember an issue from the 80s where She-Hulk joined and was told she would get a $1000 per week check.

Centipede Damascus on
This discussion has been closed.