As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Solar wrote: »
    Sisko is good but out of practice, and his heart isn't in it any more

For Sisko, thinking about baseball has the opposite effect from intended.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The whole baseball thing with Sisko was stupid.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

How do you mean? I thought a lot of people enjoyed playing ancient games that are no longer practiced or even known. I for one keep a Senet board on my desk and routinely challenge my grad students.

sig.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

How do you mean? I thought a lot of people enjoyed playing ancient games that are no longer practiced or even known. I for one keep a Senet board on my desk and routinely challenge my grad students.

To be fair, I imagine a lot of ancient games would get played more if holodecks were a thing.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like Sisko's baseball thing. It informs a lot of his character. It's analytical, statistical, a sport for people with an abundance of patience. Thematically it makes a lot of sense.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Also I found it amusing that no one knew what baseball was anymore.

It's not super different from someone nowadays being into classical music. Something that was big and popular in its time, of which enough records exist to recreate today.

steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't mind Sisko's love of baseball. I mean the one episode with the holodeck game was ridiculous, but eh Sherry Palmer infects everything she touches. SHE INFECTS THINGS!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Also I found it amusing that no one knew what baseball was anymore.

This was the only thing that mitigated how dumb it was. That everyone else on the show seemed to also think he was a weirdo.

Also when they finally made playing baseball the centre of an episode, they made it fun.

Preacher wrote: »
    I don't mind Sisko's love of baseball. I mean the one episode with the holodeck game was ridiculous, but eh Sherry Palmer infects everything she touches. SHE INFECTS THINGS!
    You mean the third best episode of ds9?

steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Two of the best scenes in the show revolved around his baseball too.

-Dukat finding the ball on the desk after he took the station, knowing it was a clear message of "I'll be back".

-Kira realizing Sisko might not come back after seeing that he took his ball.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I like Sisko's baseball thing. It informs a lot of his character. It's analytical, statistical, a sport for people with an abundance of patience. Thematically it makes a lot of sense.

and he got it from a Rumpelstiltskin alien.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    It looks like the fourth Kelvin universe movie has been shelved.

I thought Beyond was great but I'm not too sad about this. Every Trek movie and tv show for the last 18 years has been a prequel. Enough is enough.

Star Trek Nemesis isn't 18 years old. Star Trek Nemesis CAN'T be 18 years old. I refuse to believe it.

*checks wikipedia*

Ha! It's just over 16 years old! Totally not 18!

*weeps over his lost youth*

Sometimes I forget Nemesis exists, for which I am very thankful.

Though it embodies everything wrong with modern Trek, doesn't it? Grimdark confused for maturity, rampant fridging, setpieces that make no sense, and the lingering impression that it was this close to being good. Nemesis came out when I was 13 and I'm still mad.

I still have no idea what the movie was about. I mean, it dances around the nature vs. nurture debate, but the Shinzon/Picard relationship is so brief and disjointed (one moment they're having dinner, the next Shinzon is trying to destroy Earth) that whatever point it was trying to get across is lost between dunebuggy-ing and mind raping and a wedding and a bunch of other useless (if not offensive) distractions.

It's also another movie where Picard feels out of character. His hangup re: Shinzon isn't consistent with what we've seen from him before. I mean, Picard killed himself in "Time Squared." He flat out told Romulan Commander Sela that, despite the fact that she looked like Tasha Yar, that it wouldn't affect him carrying out his duty. It's hard to believe that a clone would generate that much... consternation from him.

Keep in mind the arc in Generations where Picard's brother and family die and he laments that because he never had kids, the line of Picard is basically over. Shinzon, briefly, represents a chance to change that.

True, except that's not really where the personal conflict seems to lie. Instead, it seems to largely be about Picard freaking out at his own potential to be a monster. That he buys into Shinzon literally saying "I AM you... You would be doing the exact same things." It takes Data to point out that Picard and Shinzon, despite being genetically identical, are truly two different people.

What bugs me about this is that Picard has always been someone who doesn't believe that a tough/harsh upbringing is an excuse to commit bad acts. And while that attitude may come from privilege, it's one that he was consistent with until this movie. And the movie does little to really explain or examine it.

But his view here is consistent with that. If upbringing is no excuse for someone to do bad things then whence comes Shinzon's bad acts except from himself. And his "himself" is Picard.

Hmm...

I feel like, while that's the correct answer, that the movie did a piss poor job of actually making it clear. There needed to be a scene or two (maybe they're in a director's cut or something) where Picard talks to Troi/Data/Riker/Beverley about it, like he did in Generations. Something to put his "Oh, shit, I have it within me to be a monster" angst into a context beyond, "Well, duh. You are a human being, after all." Because, in my head, classic TNG Picard would've made a rousing speech to Shinzon along the lines of:

"We share the same genetic makeup. But, there's nothing in your genetics or environment that forced you to make the decisions you did. You chose to do those things. To be that man. You may wear my face, but you are not me. In every way that matters, we are not the same."

And then he would've been done with it. And that's what I'm having difficulty reconciling. If it's about him lamenting the loss of his family (again), because this clone is terrible, then show us. If it's about him somehow not being able to handle his own potential for ruthless selfishness, then he needs to vocalize it. Instead, we have Picard being rightfully skeptical of Shinzon, and then once the duplicity is revealed, being oddly emotional about it all, with not a lot of indication as to why Shinzon got under his skin.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Man what? Nah man. It's great. It's a lovely thread throughout the seasons so far and it give Sisko a chance to be earnest and dorky.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Sisko also spent months building an interstellar spaceship by hand in his free time which proved a theory about Bajoran history, but that never got mentioned again after that one episode.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »
    Sisko also spent months building an interstellar spaceship by hand in his free time which proved a theory about Bajoran history, but that never got mentioned again after that one episode.

It was not technically interstellar capable. It was the equivalent of a coastal sailboat getting pushed across the ocean by a hurricane.

steam_sig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

It was not technically interstellar capable. It was the equivalent of a coastal sailboat getting pushed across the ocean by a hurricane.

So technically...interstellar travel tho

Listen don't take this away from Sisko

So It Goes wrote: »

So technically...interstellar travel tho

Listen don't take this away from Sisko the Bajorans

Bajorans and their Orbs.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

My point is the guy clearly has hobbies that he invests a lot of mental energy into.

Sisko's a pretty mean chef, too, unlike Riker.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited January 2019

My point is the guy clearly has hobbies that he invests a lot of mental energy into.

Riker would apparently make a good Klingon chef.

Undead Scottsman on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Riker spread his seed among the stars though. He's a post modern johnny apple cum in everyone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah but that episode also made no sense on a bunch of levels

It was creepy when their bodies got stuck in Quark's holosuite.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It was creepy when their bodies got stuck in Quark's holosuite.

It's creepy to consider anything stuck in Quark's holosuite.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Kelvin universe will live on, kinda sorta, in that the Picard series will take place after the destruction of Romulus. Also, hooray! They are finally pushing the timeline forward!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited January 2019
    The Picard series is just one in Kurtzman's Trek empire. It will join the flagship series Star Trek Discovery, as well as Lower Decks, the upcoming half-hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty), and the shortform entry Short Treks. Other projects in development include a second kids-focused animated series (that may live outside of CBS All Access), a Discovery spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh and the younger-skewing Starfleet Academy from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The O.C.)

Yes, because what this recently revived franchise needs is to have as many shows as possible shat out before people grow tired of it again. Nothing could go wrong there!

This is like the MCU spam Disney is planning. I hate where modern media is going.

Undead Scottsman on
    We will see a retired Picard barely doing anything.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The Picard series is just one in Kurtzman's Trek empire. It will join the flagship series Star Trek Discovery, as well as Lower Decks, the upcoming half-hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty), and the shortform entry Short Treks. Other projects in development include a second kids-focused animated series (that may live outside of CBS All Access), a Discovery spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh and the younger-skewing Starfleet Academy from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The O.C.)

Yes, because what this recently revived franchise needs is to have as many shows as possible shat out before people grow tired of it again. Nothing could go wrong there!

This is like the MCU spam Disney is planning. I hate where modern media is going.

Feels like CBS is desperately trying to keep Trek fans subscribed to All Access for more than a month a year.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

and he got it from a Rumpelstiltskin alien.

God damn that episode rules. O'Brien is just so over it.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    the baseball thing is 100% amazing, I love it

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

proving once and for all that Bojor invaded Cardassia first

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Listen, Baseball episodes are great

Proof:

- DS9 Baseball Episode
    - Samurai Champloo Baseball Episode

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    It's weird how Star Trek labels anything pre-2100 as "ancient." Like, we see 1719 as a long time ago, but I don't think anyone could call it ancient.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I suspect WW3 was a significant cultural bottleneck, especially with First Contact coming soon thereafter.
    (Oh, and everything being nuked to shit.)

Commander Zoom on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    It's weird how Star Trek labels anything pre-2100 as "ancient." Like, we see 1719 as a long time ago, but I don't think anyone could call it ancient.

It reminds me of how, in Gundam, when Degwin tries to get his son Gihren to realize he's embarking on a path to hell with the war he literally tells him he's like Hitler

And Girhen's response is "Hitler, that ruler from the middle ages?"

[and then, you know, goes to take that as a Badge of honor because Gihren Zabi is a horrific human being.]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Heh. Last night, a friend and I were having a (only mildly serious) conversation about time travel and how it can go so so wrong, even with the "best" intentions.

"And that's why We Don't Kill Hitler."
    "What's a hitler?"
    "Oh goddamnit. Wait here, I'll be right back."

Lanz wrote: »

Proof:

- DS9 Baseball Episode
    -Steven Universe Baseball Episode

steam_sig.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Proof:

- DS9 Baseball Episode
    -Steven Universe Baseball Episode

The Dragon Ball Super Baseball episode?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular

I wonder what a Star Trek universe museum is like.

"And here we have the Ancient Earth exhibit, with such artefacts as ancient Egyptian sarcophagus, ancient Mesopotamian clay tablets, ancient American lunar landers, and ancient European stone tools."

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.