As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There is definitely no Destiny novel.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Totally unrelated to Destiny but someone at work mentioned the president of Blizzard stepped down today as well. Maybe whomever replaces him will get them to release a new game not on phones.

In Destiny-related things: isn't there a Destiny novel? I swear I remember people talking about one. Not the Baru Cormorant series by the Books of Sorrow guy (though those are excellent and if you enjoy reading Destiny lore at all you owe it to yourself to checkout The Traitor Baru Cormorant which is simultaneously nothing at all like Destiny lore and also just like Destiny lore) but an actual in-universe Destiny book? I googled and amazon'd but don't see anything.

not a novel but there is this, a printed collection of some of D1s Grimoire.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Totally unrelated to Destiny but someone at work mentioned the president of Blizzard stepped down today as well. Maybe whomever replaces him will get them to release a new game not on phones.

In Destiny-related things: isn't there a Destiny novel? I swear I remember people talking about one. Not the Baru Cormorant series by the Books of Sorrow guy (though those are excellent and if you enjoy reading Destiny lore at all you owe it to yourself to checkout The Traitor Baru Cormorant which is simultaneously nothing at all like Destiny lore and also just like Destiny lore) but an actual in-universe Destiny book? I googled and amazon'd but don't see anything.

not a novel but there is this, a printed collection of some of D1s Grimoire.

Yeah, I knew about that. I may buy one at some point. But I swear to the Traveler I remember people in the thread talking about reading a super depressing and bleak Destiny novel.

It seems weird that there isn't one. I'd totally read a (reasonably well-written) book about any of a number of Destiny lore icons. Shin Malphur, Toland, Saint-14, Ephrideet, a novelization of the six goddammit Guardians who went into the Vault of Glass or the fireteam who went down into the Hellmouth for the first time...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck do people hate Blizzard so much now anyway. Like, they announced 1 phone game that they're not even the primary devs on, and cut funding for an esports scene for a game that wasn't popular.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Why the fuck do people hate Blizzard so much now anyway. Like, they announced 1 phone game that they're not even the primary devs on, and cut funding for an esports scene for a game that wasn't popular.

I imagine all the toxic fans they've accrued from Overwatch are directing the conversation there

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    And Jason Schreier summed up his thoughts that I basically completely agree with in the comments of his article
    1/10/19 5:41pm
    I think this will be good news for Destiny and those of us who love it, largely because Bungie will no longer be restricted to an annualized schedule. Maybe instead of Destiny 3, Bungie will now be able to transform the game into a single SKU that’s updated regularly. That’s my ideal scenario.

But Activision is an easy scapegoat. Most if not all of Destiny’s mistakes came from Bungie, not the publisher, and self-publishing a game is really fucking hard. In addition to the risk, Bungie now has to handle many of the business aspects of game development that Activision was handling before — PR, marketing, biz dev, distribution, etc. Bungie has been through this before -- remember when it split from Microsoft in 2007? Things weren’t so rosy in the years after that.

So I’d say be cautiously optimistic.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I mean, blizzard directly owns all of their esports leagues for their games, so they A) pretty much killed any other league that might have sprung up and B) basically just up and fired a couple hundred people with little to no warning 2 weeks before Christmas.

It’s not like they just announced they won’t be doing prizes and hosting the finals, just just completely shutdown a whole department with no warning. Same thing could easily happen with the Overwatch League in the future.

Edit: like it obviously wasn’t as popular as league or dota, but that doesn’t really excuse the absolutely shit way they did hots dirty.

ronzo on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

They screwed everyone who was excited for Blizzcon for a Diablo reveal. It was a bait and switch. You paid $200 + airfare + hotel (live) or $50 (virtual) to be greeted by a shitty Chinese sellout clone game.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Jephery wrote: »

They screwed everyone who was excited for Blizzcon for a Diablo reveal. It was a bait and switch. You paid $200 + airfare + hotel (live) or $50 (virtual) to be greeted by a shitty Chinese sellout clone game.

I mean, that's not the only reason to go to Blizzcon is it? Yeah it was a shitty move but the con was not ruined by a mobile game announcement

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Diablo Immortal, axing HotS out of nowhere, and the current WoW expansion fucking sucks ass.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Jephery wrote: »

I mean, that's not the only reason to go to Blizzcon is it? Yeah it was a shitty move but the con was not ruined by a mobile game announcement

The entire show was a yawn. The only thing that people liked was the WC3 remaster. It highlighted that the only thing to look forward to with Blizzard is remakes and rereleases.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I still think the hubub about the mobile game was pretty overblown, but the HotS thing sucks, and Hearthstone is going weird places too. With Morhaime leaving, who's left from the Blizzard old guard?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Still quite a few, Morhaime announced his departure a while back tho.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I imagine all the toxic fans they've accrued from Overwatch are directing the conversation there

there's plenty of those from all their other franchises, overwatch isn't special!!!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Also I just read the new Truth To Power entry and it is some Extremely Good Destiny folks

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/actchoosereact#book-truth-to-power
    this is what I wanted curse of osiris to be :bigfrown:

I thought I was behind on these, but if this is the newest one, I'm actually not. This one was GREAAAAAT. Oh and I finished all the scavenger hunt lore items today (last 3 eggs in the Ascendant Challenge). Now just a bunch of the random drop/mystery ones left to get.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    I want to read all the new lore because that I still care about

But also that would, at this point, actually take a long fucking time.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Met the Queen earlier, it was a little weird.
    She seemed pissed at “you” and your Ghost.

Well Ghost has been super passive aggressive towards her the last two weeks. Plus there's the whole Uldren thing.

If I had to listen to ghost bitch at me, I'd be surly, too.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    not sure i'd read to much into the initial reaction as far as stocks go. yes Activision have lost a major IP but it also means that they wont be investing more money into a franchise that by their own admission wasn't performing to their expectations. that's money that is now free to be invested elsewhere and i imagine its just that thinking that lead them to agreeing to part ways with Bungie at this point.
    Monkey Paw time

Division breaks free of Activision
    CDProjektRed has been bought out by Activision

Activision does have a lot of experience handling science fiction IPs. Just think- Cyberpunk on the bnetlauncher, hearthstone tie ins, a car mount for wow.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Due to my own laziness I didn't have my whisper up to snuff for the boss of the Beluga forge so I busted out my Polaris lance and dust rock and stayed up top at the respawn point providing infinite cover fire for the two randoms I was playing with because nothing really shoots at you up there except the wire rifle vandals but they're easy enough to pick off. I focused on shooting vandals and battery carriers while the other two were free to toss balls and ikelos/threat level down the two-battery mobs. When the tank dropped they jumped up to where I had perched all fight and between the guy with whisper and me just shooting forever it was pretty painless and surprisingly effective.

Edit: There were parts that the guys on the ground struggled with because of infinite shank shenanigans so I would hop down to help clean up, toss balls and what have you before going back to the "role" I picked out for myself

Edit2: thinking about it, I think if I try that setup again, I'll slap on an arc linear fusion to deal with the captains in round 2 for shield breaking, then swap back to Polaris to dps them down

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I think folks are really overestimating Activision's role in the development choices for the series versus Bungie's.

At the end of the day, Activision didn't make these games.

While it may be cathartic to blame any ills on the big faceless corporation, Bungie made the content and the development choices.

Anyone expecting a dramatic, Hyde to Jekyll shift in the output are, I think, setting themselves up for disappointment.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I think folks are really overestimating Activision's role in the development choices for the series versus Bungie's.

While it may be cathartic to blame any ills on the big faceless corporation, Bungie made the content and the development choices.

Anyone expecting a dramatic, Hyde to Jekyll shift in the output are, I think, setting themselves up for disappointment.

This

If anything their output is going to be slower. Without Activisions 'YOU MUST RELEASE 1 THING EVERY YEAR" theres a chance their output slows down dramatically. Not to say Activision's release schedule is good on devs, but 'we won't release it till its right' is a recipe for slow releases, especially with Bungie's propensity to practically restart a project not too far off release.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    skyknyt wrote: »
    I'm actually pretty bummed for Vicarious Visions and High Moon, they were doing a lot for Destiny (mostly because I used to do volunteer stuff for VV and live near them)
    Destiny 3: Marathon 2.

reminder that the universe of Marathon canonically exists in Destiny through the MIDA weapons

They've also hinted in the Books of Sorrow that the Darkness is at least in part a W'rkncacnter, which is frankly exactly the kind of enemy you'd need paracausal powers to fight against.

Have I told you about my theory that the Traveler is Durandal/Thoth, who achieved his goal of escaping the collapse of the previous universe, and the Darkness is a merging of Tycho and the W'rkncacnter. It's all in my 162-page thesis....
    qw2jf3d3djy3.jpeg

awsimo on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    5uiKGSQ.jpg

Lucked into the Husk Of The Pit for my D1 Warlock and I was able to upgrade to this in short time. Gonna be a while before I can do the raids to unlock it's Exotic form but at 300 power, this works fine for now.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I’m not expecting drastic changes at Bungie/Destiny over this, I just see Activision and EA as profit vampires that drains every competent studio for a quick short term profit until all their studios are left as lifeless husks.

So good riddance for them fucking off.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    If there will ever be a D3, it now has a flexible release date and may be higher quality because it bakes longee.
    But there may now also never be a D3 since they don't owe Activision the title.
    Freedom includes both the possibility of Bungie turning around the ship, or driving it right off a cliff.
    I will give them the benefit of thr doubt, mostly because I want D3 to rock socks off and bring my lapsed bros back and save the world.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I wonder what this is going to do to Eververse, if anything.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Raynaga wrote: »

This

If anything their output is going to be slower. Without Activisions 'YOU MUST RELEASE 1 THING EVERY YEAR" theres a chance their output slows down dramatically. Not to say Activision's release schedule is good on devs, but 'we won't release it till its right' is a recipe for slow releases, especially with Bungie's propensity to practically restart a project not too far off release.

Yeah I remember Activision releasing a statement a good while back during all the D2 hullabaloo pretty much saying, "Yo guys we had nothing to do with this."

Now they could very well have just been throwing Bungie under the bus with that statement, but I'm actually inclined to believe them.

edit- Though according to Jason Scheier the good folks at Bungie were cheering and busting out the champagne. :razz:

Also, I'm pretty sure as far as Activision was concerned Destiny was nothing but a money sink.

Ooh, I much as I've been harping on Blizzard as of late I do hope they get to use this opportunity to make there own Destiny-like.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Finished up Sleeper Sim last night. Lord of Wolves dropped on the Spider bounty right after. Good night for loots.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    I wonder what this is going to do to Eververse, if anything.

Honestly, current Eververse isn't really a thing for me in any way. It has the same problems with armor perks everything does but otherwise it feels like a perfectly fine micro transaction store.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    You get enough free stuff from Eververse that I barely see it as a microstore at all. It’s just a bunch of extra cosmetic shit I get from 3-4 engrams every week. And it’s easy to accumulate enough dust that you'll get a chance to buy a thing you really want. I had close to 10k so I bought an emote I liked. And I don’t play a ton either.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2019
    I think Bungie is largely responsible for the state of Destiny, and the practical constraints (money and time) on any large scale project are bigger factors than the big bad publisher.

However, I think people kinda miss the mark on the cheering by comparing it to the cheering after Bungie split with Microsoft, with the assumption that the enthusiasm of the developers was misplaced.

Bungie developers were chafing at the creative constraints they felt under Microsoft, and were looking forward to the freedom to do what they wanted. Life as an independent and then with Activision wasn’t all roses, but they went from shipping their 5th Halo game to shipping Destiny, a radically different kind of shooter. The enthusiasm and cheering of the developers after leaving Microsoft was not misplaced.

I hope that, similarly, they get what they wished for this time.

Godspeed, Bungie devs.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I want to read all the new lore because that I still care about

But also that would, at this point, actually take a long fucking time.

@ElementWrath If you got to the Ishtar Collective and search "book" you'll find all of the best stuff. They helpfully grouped the best lore entries in the game that way.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Im really curious what High Moon and Vicarious Visions will be doing now. Activision has a thinning herd of active tentpole IPs outside of Blizzard. Its Call of Duty and ... what?

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Im really curious what High Moon and Vicarious Visions will be doing now. Activision has a thinning herd of active tentpole IPs outside of Blizzard. Its Call of Duty and ... what?

They’ll be remastering other old Activision properties or helping the CoD studios with ports, most likely.

nusu on
  • Options

I was thinking about this the other day. They've lost the Transformer, Spider-Man, James Bond, TMNT, Tony Hawk, X-Men, Marvel UA and True Crime franchises.

There's not much to remake or remaster either, and they've shut down a lot of their own studios that handled original IPs like Radical, Neversoft and Bizarre Creations.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Sounds like time for Activision to reboot Pitfall as a f2p Battle Royale MOBA trading card game.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Sounds like time for Activision to reboot Pitfall as a f2p Battle Royale MOBA trading card game.

Call of Duty: Skylanders Evolved

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Xur is once again a huge let down (sorry...I'm repeating myself), but at least I finally got Tractor Cannon from my Iso Engram!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Xur is once again a huge let down (sorry...I'm repeating myself), but at least I finally got Tractor Cannon from my Iso Engram!
    How have you been living without one.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Diablo Immortal, axing HotS out of nowhere, and the current WoW expansion fucking sucks ass.

I feel like the worst they've done is how they handled cancelling the HotS league. There were absolutely people involved who should've been notified about everything, instead of finding out with the rest of the general public. It sets a bad precedent that Blizzard will yank your esports shit without notice.

Immortal looks sweet, I'd pick it up if I didn't have a windows phone (and also if it ended up not being too bad in the annoying microtransaction department). I get the disappointment, but we also know Diablo 4 is coming so maybe the turbo rage isn't all that necessary.

Don't play WoW so I dunno about the expansion, but they definitely didn't axe HotS. There's still a dedicated team working on it, it's only the esports league that they nixed.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.