As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

The Reaping version 2

- The Reaping's life-steal is reduced back to 20%.
    - In addition, any target damaged by Reaper's Hellfire Shotguns loses maximum health equal to 10% of the inflicted damage for thirty seconds. (Tweak numbers until they make sense.)

Basically, pull in the "necrosis" effect described in Bastet. If Reaper is continuously attacking the same person as they're being healed, they get weaker and weaker.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I don't mind that, but it doesn't really fix Reaper. Hang on - math:

130 damage per shot 2 shots per second with body shots that's 26 max health removed per second so with a single empty clip a Reaper can reduce a Hog's health pool down tooooo... 496 instead of 600, and a theoretical 392 with straight headshots...

The 30 seconds might be too long, tbh. It's not a bad idea, but it doesn't really answer The Problem with Reaper. The 50% lifesteal is insane, but it's also kinda' fine because McCree's gonna' be landing headshots from 20 yards, Hanzos, Ashes and Widows will be bodying and headshotting him from afar, Tracer, Soldier and Sombra will be landing shots from far enough away that he can't really respond and he only has the one escape (which is often used as an engage) in Wraith.

Reaper's problem is still Shadow Step. He's a DPS hero and he's got pretty much the only ability in the game that can exclusively be used outside of combat if you don't want to instantly die.

They just need to turn Shadow Step into an Actual Mobility Skill instead of a roulette spin you're really hoping doesn't land on Headshot.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I do wonder if Shadow Step being as weak a mobility skill as it is is intentional. It's important that characters have identifiable weaknesses in addition to unique strengths, and it could be that their intent is for Reaper to be incredibly hard to dislodge once he's on you, but to struggle with the actual approach. From a games-as-fiction standpoint, making your whole team have to stay on constant alert lest Reaper get into his optimal attack range suits the character.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I agree, but Reaper already has two very significant weaknesses.
    • A large, Doomfist-esque hitbox
    • Weapons that are completely ineffectual beyond like 8 meters

Doomfist, for example, is balanced via his high skill ceiling, incredible - seriously incredible - mobility and the fact that each of his abilities gives him the overcharge shield. He's effective at the same range as Reaper but has more and better options for getting in and more and better options for getting out.

Reaper's skill ceiling isn't nearly as high, but unlike Doomie he can be very effective in merely capable hands at lower SRs. Press W and click heads - that's it.

The lifesteal buff is like saying Reaper shouldn't disengage, ever - you're not stealin' life off someone if you've put your back to them to turn tail - which actually got me thinkin' last night...

Friend of the Grave

The Reaping passive is removed entirely.

New passive: Friend of the Grave. Reaper can no longer be healed by any source.

Health pool: 1200. (Or keep him at 250 but give him a passive that reduces all incoming damage by 80% for the same overall effect?)

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I do wonder if Shadow Step being as weak a mobility skill as it is is intentional. It's important that characters have identifiable weaknesses in addition to unique strengths, and it could be that their intent is for Reaper to be incredibly hard to dislodge once he's on you, but to struggle with the actual approach. From a games-as-fiction standpoint, making your whole team have to stay on constant alert lest Reaper get into his optimal attack range suits the character.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Where I've had the most success with Shadow Step is using it to gank people or get into surprise range like on Point B Volkoya or abusing the verticality of Gibraltar. It's a very noticeable ability, but you can use it out of site to attack from unexpected angles. Dropping on a Rein at the moment your team begins attacking from the front can break a whole defense.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Shadow step has never been a mobility skill, it's a flanking/positioning tool.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    On that note also never walk backwards from a reaper, jump and shield backwards if you need to make space and buy a little time while your team w
    Chance wrote: »
    I agree, but Reaper already has two very significant weaknesses.
    • A large, Doomfist-esque hitbox
    • Weapons that are completely ineffectual beyond like 8 meters

Doomfist, for example, is balanced via his high skill ceiling, incredible - seriously incredible - mobility and the fact that each of his abilities gives him the overcharge shield. He's effective at the same range as Reaper but has more and better options for getting in and more and better options for getting out.

Reaper's skill ceiling isn't nearly as high, but unlike Doomie he can be very effective in merely capable hands at lower SRs. Press W and click heads - that's it.

The lifesteal buff is like saying Reaper shouldn't disengage, ever - you're not stealin' life off someone if you've put your back to them to turn tail - which actually got me thinkin' last night...

Friend of the Grave

The Reaping passive is removed entirely.

New passive: Friend of the Grave. Reaper can no longer be healed by any source.

Health pool: 1200. (Or keep him at 250 but give him a passive that reduces all incoming damage by 80% for the same overall effect?)

Reaper becomes the new worlds best ult charge batter or amazing ultimate denial tool.

• Options
    Oooh that's a good point. Tbh I'm not sure which would be better.

Does Bob give ult charge? I know Hammie doesn't with his shields, but I never paid attention to whether or not Bob gives it.

He really damn well should. If you can contest an objective, you give ult charge!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Oooh that's a good point. Tbh I'm not sure which would be better.

Does Bob give ult charge? I know Hammie doesn't with his shields, but I never paid attention to whether or not Bob gives it.

He really damn well should. If you can contest an objective, you give ult charge!

He does not

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    BoB does not

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    Gross! Screw you, Bob - and your tiny tiny hat!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Bob needs to learn to think for himself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I kind of wish Mercy's rez had a shorter cool down but only revived people with like half health and then a HoT for the other half. On console it never seems like we have stuns in the right spot to counter her cast and it's a crapshoot if we can get her focused enough to die during the cast. Plus rezzing people is fun and I want to hit that button more often when I play her.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Having been denied many a righteous and crucial kill by mercy's rezzes over the years, big and small, I'd be perfectly happy to see the ability removed from the game.

• Options
    I dunno, there's a special secret sauce flavor to killin' a dude, watching him get rezzed and killing him again.

It's delicious.

When it's one of those long drawn out fights without picks on either side and you finally wtfpwn the Rein, bail for health and Mercy brings him right back... it is not as nice a feeling.

• Options
    Yeah, it's that second one that gets me. Last night a hanzo was decimating us, we finally killed him, and then in came the rez. I feel like the reward for good play should be forward progress on the objective, and Mercy just negates that in a frustrating way. That said, killing someone, then the mercy who just gets the rez off, then the original person AGAIN is a very good feeling, yes.

I popped on the stache 76 skin and did a night of gay representation on Soldier last night. I'm not sure if I have it saved still, but my favorite moment was chasing down and murdering the widow and ana that had it in for me.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Bob needs to learn to think for himself.

He's attached to a DPS, thinking just isn't on the cards for him.

:bzz:

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Directly provoked a ragequit for the first time in a while, against a Sym who surely deserved it for being Sym
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y91LvCp4dmw

as a bonus, I was witness to one of the most surreal POTG I've encountered
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4zWusXtlM

• Options
    But to get it done on Ham, though. That's an extra feather in its cap.

• Options
    A good hammond is a terror.

• Options
    To me having any amount of success on Hammond is kinda' like being a good Genji player.

I can't do it so I gotta' respect it lol

I've had rare success with both in MH, but I'm not gonna' say I can play Genji.

• Options
    it's like being an upside down Winston - always look at the ceiling for opportunities to hook in, do some damage, and get out at 4 second intervals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbeDy0squwo

also coordinating with the team for the piledriver is invaluable. I've multiplied a few d.va/hanzo/ashe/moira ults by using the mass knockup to keep thee enemy from fleeing.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hammond is just so damn weird that I don't even know where to start trying to fight him. At this point I have to treat him exactly like a Doomfist; just keep your distance and hope he doesn't notice you, because if he does you're already dead.

Except when I'm playing Mei. Then I just drop a wall and put an immediate stop to his rolling.

One of the reasons I like Mei so damn much is that when I'm playing her, I have no fear of either Hammonds nor Genjis, and I can't say that about any other hero.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Also piledriver kills just feel good. Squish.

• Options
    Hammond is just so damn weird that I don't even know where to start trying to fight him.

-stuns wreck him
    -shoot the giant ball

Either you'll kill him or he'll bail for health at which point a flanker or tank of yours may get the finishing blow or he'll escape.

That's all you can do. Focus fire, stuns and discord if you got 'em.

Or just Bastion.
    soylenth wrote: »
    Also piledriver kills just feel good. Squish.

They do.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Pirate ships.

Pirate ships everywhere.

And no, countermeasures aren't working.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think begrugingly the only surefire way to disrupt pirate ship (especially at lower levels is Mei ice wall
    Anything else is too fishy to instil confidence in the rest of the team to act at the same time, has clear counterplays or doesn't charge up nearly as fast as it needs to

The real key to crushing pirate ship is confidence (not being scared to commit to moving across open space between hard cover), coordination and positioning, all of which dwindles in supply the lower the rank, while all the opposing team has to do is to sit on a payload and maintain shields, heals and LMB since pirate ship instils confidence, coordination and good positioning by its very nature.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Here is a little mindtwister.
    What if every Overwatch map was flipped into a mirror version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHiq0y-q2vE

These maps look just wrong!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Flipped Badwater is still one of my favorite TF2 maps.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Ok. Before watching, I was thinking “Whatever. It’s still the same map.”

Then I hit play and my brain exploded.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular

Where am I?

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Musicool wrote: »

Where am I?

A huge part of my playstyle is blinking backwards and sideways, through doors or around corners without looking first.

This would destroy me.

Edit: ah fuck. I just checked my brother's Overbuff. If he loses or I gain like 40 more SR, we won't be able to play comp together

8i6hrfb7r1yf.png

Chance on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    here is how i would fix reaper

if you cast shadowstep with an enemy player in your crosshair rather than geometry, it becomes instant, he says "NOTHING PERSONNEL KID" with edge factor 200% and literally appears behind them. this resets on kill

thank you reaper fixed good day

EDIT: oh yes and you can cast it to cancel death blossom hehehehe

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    My fix was similar. Shadow step becomes a dark reflection of Mercy's Guardian Angel -
    • Can only be used on a targeted enemy
    • Reaper turns into his mist, cannot deal damage, cannot be targeted with abilities or damaged
    • Identical distance and speed as Guardian Angel
    • Cannot be cancelled, no advanced mobility options a'la GA
    • Cannot be used to escape Grav, but Fade still can
    • Reaper reappears without Shadow Step's moment of vulnerability
    • 8 second cooldown

It has the inherent limitations of GA, but Reaper's mobility becomes dictated on the placement of the enemy team instead of his own. Can be used to engage, obviously, or as a disengage to a distant foe. Allows Reaper to chase down fleeing targets he could never intercept otherwise, but the CD requires those moments to be well-chosen. Does not offer a "please ding me in the forehead" moment.

Chance on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

if you cast shadowstep with an enemy player in your crosshair rather than geometry, it becomes instant, he says "NOTHING PERSONNEL KID" with edge factor 200% and literally appears behind them. this resets on kill

Friendly team hears "Nothing Personnel Kid"

Enemy team hears "Omae wa mou shindeiru"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Friendly team hears "Nothing Personnel Kid"

Enemy team hears "Omae wa mou shindeiru"

unironically can you imagine how sick that would be. blink into the enemy team, death blossom, get one frag, whole team is turning on you, shadowstep has reset, blink to a pharah who is miles away, frag her and then drop back into your team wearing 4 fedoras

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    A player targetable shadowstep should instagib, like a quake/doom telefrag.

Thank you, next.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    reaper should have a taunt that takes 10 seconds but if he completes it he kills everybody in los with an edgy voice line

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    My fix was similar. Shadow step becomes a dark reflection of Mercy's Guardian Angel -
    • Can only be used on a targeted enemy
    • Reaper turns into his mist, cannot deal damage, cannot be targeted with abilities or damaged
    • Identical distance and speed as Guardian Angel
    • Cannot be cancelled, no advanced mobility options a'la GA
    • Cannot be used to escape Grav, but Fade still can
    • Reaper reappears without Shadow Step's moment of vulnerability
    • 8 second cooldown

It has the inherent limitations of GA, but Reaper's mobility becomes dictated on the placement of the enemy team instead of his own. Can be used to engage, obviously, or as a disengage to a distant foe. Allows Reaper to chase down fleeing targets he could never intercept otherwise, but the CD requires those moments to be well-chosen. Does not offer a "please ding me in the forehead" moment.

One problem with this is it would vastly buff his ult. pretty much no matter where your team is, it would always be in danger of a sudden death blossom right in the middle of the group

This discussion has been closed.