As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    What a deliciously totalitarian word recalcitrant is too.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What a deliciously totalitarian word recalcitrant is too.

This is what? Point 5 on the outline of heading into fascism? Labeling everyone not on your political side as the enemy.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah I have to hand it to Dobbs, I had to look in a fucking dictionary to get the full scope of what he was saying. I wonder if he intends for it to admit that he wants authoritarianism in the USA.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Yeah I have to hand it to Dobbs, I had to look in a fucking dictionary to get the full scope of what he was saying. I wonder if he intends for it to admit that he wants authoritarianism in the USA.

One party apartheid state I'd guess.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Fox News is poison. It's a corrupted vitriol spewing partisan mechanism that actively harms everyone. I don't particularly like network or cable news but I don't feel attacked by anyone else.

I'm at such a loss as to how Fox got to start directly influencing policy. I get how on a practical sort of level but I can't appropriately store it as a fact in my brain.

That the GOP actually uses a cable network to float lies as truth 24 hours a day in an effort to subvert government is just gross. That it's taken hold with people I used to consider of at least average intelligence feels like defeat.

I need a whole lot of rage from Democratic leaders right now and acknowledgement from other networks that Fox isn't fucking news.

Are there any press conferences scheduled for Democrats in the House or Senate to respond to Trump and his Sundowner madlibs?

Edit: The moderate right is on board with a bunch of shit that you would NEVER hear outside of fundamental militia crazies just 5 years ago. How did it go so to shit so quickly?

..that's rhetorical, we all know how. That it's so open and out there now makes me want to smash things.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    At least some of the Right has been wanting one party rule for decades. They've been trying their damnedest to do it.

That's why this shutdown terrifies me a bit. Because at some point they will realize if they just let most of the government wither away, it's easier to fully take over. All it would take is for someone to whisper a bit more poison in the Presidents ear. Because Trump would do it.

-edit-

If at some point we can't get enough pressure on Congress to end this bullshit, it may end up a de facto coup.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's entirely predictable for a side that knows it's outnumbered to phalanx each other and use advantageous circumstances to attempt to defeat a larger opponent.

What we're seeing is a form of Greece vs the Persian army at Thermopylae. The GOP knows it doesn't command the numbers to get what they want, and not all of them agree with Trump, but they're making a calculated decision that divided, they would be utterly obliterated, so they're holding their noses and trying to weather the storm. Which is just another reason why Democrats shouldn't budge an inch.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So, our beloved leader had an interview this morning with regard to the wall and the shutdown.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-marine-one-departure-30/

Here’s a fantastic example of his leadership style with a choice quote:
    Q Does the buck stop with you over this shutdown?

THE PRESIDENT: The buck stops with everybody.

Hmmm, what say you Trump from 2012 and 2013?

Interesting

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    One thing that might help end this is that for as against big government as GOP voters claim to be, southern states and rural areas are especially dependent on federal programs.

This thing is already fucking farmers who already took a beating because of the idiots trade war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/farmers-trump-administration.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

That said there are the true believers
    David Nunnery, 59, of Pike County, Miss., have stayed unflinchingly loyal to Mr. Trump and his demands for $5.7 billion for a border wall, even as the shutdown threatens their livelihood.

“I may lose the farm, but I strongly feel we need some border security,” Mr. Nunnery said.

While there's something ghoulishly satisfying about these idiots getting dog catches car'd. All the other people their dumb asses hurt, dont deserve this.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Fox News is poison. It's a corrupted vitriol spewing partisan mechanism that actively harms everyone. I don't particularly like network or cable news but I don't feel attacked by anyone else.

I'm at such a loss as to how Fox got to start directly influencing policy. I get how on practical sort of level but I can't appropriately store it as a fact in my brain.

That the GOP actually uses a cable network to float lies as truth 24 hours a day in an effort to subvert government is just gross. That it's taken hold with people I used to consider of at least average intelligence feels like defeat.

I need a whole lot of rage from Democratic leaders right now and acknowledgement from other networks that Fox isn't fucking news.

Are there any press conferences scheduled for Democrats in the House or Senate to respond to Trump and his Sundowner madlibs?

Edit: The moderate right is on board with a bunch of shit that you would NEVER hear outside of fundamental militia crazies just 5 years ago. How did it go so to shit so quickly?

..that's rhetorical, we all know how. That it's so open and out there now makes me want to smash things.

You may balk at using games to describe this kind of phenomena, but I understood the problem best through MGS2.

Rose: We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books...
    But not all the information was inherited by later generations.
    Colonel: A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.
    Rose: That's what history is, Jack.
    Colonel: But in the current, digitized world,
    trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness.
    Never fading, always accessible.
    Rose: Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander...
    Colonel: All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate.
    Rose: It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution.
    Colonel: Raiden, you seem to think that our plan is one of censorship.
    Raiden: Are you telling me it's not!?
    Rose: You're being silly! What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.
    Raiden: Create context?
    Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards
    development of convenient half-truths.
    Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.
    Rose: Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.
    Colonel: Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims.
    Rose: Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species.
    Everyone grows up being told the same thing.
    Colonel: Be nice to other people.
    Rose: But beat out the competition!
    Colonel: "You're special." "Believe in yourself and you will succeed."
    Rose: But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...
    Colonel: You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result.
    All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt.
    The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate
    in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.
    Rose: Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum.
    They stay inside their little ponds,
    leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.
    Colonel: The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh.
    No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.
    Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
    Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    That article reminds me, if you are able to do so now would be a good time to donate to your local food pantry. Especially if this drags on to the point it effects SNAP benefits.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Did anyone think this thread would make 100 pages? The United states everyone ! *sinks head in shame*

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    One thing that might help end this is that for as against big government as GOP voters claim to be, southern states and rural areas are especially dependent on federal programs.

This thing is already fucking farmers who already took a beating because of the idiots trade war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/farmers-trump-administration.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

David Nunnery, 59, of Pike County, Miss., have stayed unflinchingly loyal to Mr. Trump and his demands for $5.7 billion for a border wall, even as the shutdown threatens their livelihood.

“I may lose the farm, but I strongly feel we need some border security,” Mr. Nunnery said.

While there's something ghoulishly satisfying about these idiots getting dog catches car'd. All the other people their dumb asses hurt, dont deserve this.

That's a guy who believes that in the end good old Donald is gonna come through.

Ask him again when the first notice to vacate shows up.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The thing that infuriates me most about that Lou Dobbs clip (and boy is there a lot to be mad about) is how he says that the "recalcitrant left" has obstructed for too long now! Like what, a flippin' week? Where was the outrage over obstruction when Merrick Garland's nomination was ignored for a damn year? Screw you, Lou Dobbs, I wish you'd get off the television and never return.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    HEY FOLKS, WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING THE NEWS MEDIA, INCLUDING FOX NEWS. WE ARE NOT ALSO NOT POSTING LONG EXCERPTS FROM METAL GEAR FREAKING SOLID.

I'M GOING TO START THROWING INFRACTIONS.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

That's a guy who believes that in the end good old Donald is gonna come through.

Ask him again when the first notice to vacate shows up.

or he's hoping that a public expression of loyalty will get him personal financial attention from the fuhrer

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm think Trump might declare an emergency, then keep the government closed until ground breaks on his wall. Tell Congress that they can either pass funding for his wall and reopen the government immediately, or wait until it works its way through the courts. But either way he's getting his wall, so they may as well avert needless suffering.

I'm thinking he will probably try to make it sound less like "I'm going to keep inflicting pain on people until I get my way." I'm also thinking he'll probably fail at making it sound better.

Jesus, this guy is a fucking monster.
    Even if he just sidestepped the whole graft soliciting bids for walls step and had the Army Corps of Engineers construct it directly right now, wouldn't that still take months before they break ground?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I truly have no clue how and when this ends when I think about it. I don't see trump backing down just because of the press and visuals. The guy can't take a loss, and is going to do anything he can so that he can say he won. He's not going to accept nothing.

It's going to fall on senate Republicans to pass the bill with a veto proof majority isn't it? Could you imagine if Obama would have held the government hostage over health care? They'd be screaming that we don't have a king/dictator. Yet these sleaze balls are endorsing the president taking the government hostage for a stupid fucking wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for.

I'm glad in some ways I'm unemployed and not working for the DoD right now. I would be working and considered essential, doing nothing, and a lot more pissed off than I am now. And I'm probably already already already unhealthy rage level.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

This is nearly the same as the "He doesn't hurt the people he needs to be hurting" quote a few days ago. I simply do not understand this mindset. "Hey, I might lose my farm because of the idiot in the white house, but as long as some brown people thousands of miles away are getting hurt, it is a-ok"

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

This is nearly the same as the "He doesn't hurt the people he needs to be hurting" quote a few days ago. I simply do not understand this mindset. "Hey, I might lose my farm because of the idiot in the white house, but as long as some brown people thousands of miles away are getting hurt, it is a-ok"

Anyone can be indoctrinated by people they trust. The people these guys they trust and respect (Fox News and Republicans) tell them that Mexicans are a problem. For some reason, they trust them to be honest with them. They might also be culturally inclined to distrust the unfamiliar.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So if the President declares a state of emergency, what kind of justification does he have to give? Who can overrule him and say 'no, not getting to do whatever you want is not an emergency'?
    Would this be a supreme court thing, or a congress/house thing?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So if the President declares a state of emergency, what kind of justification does he have to give? Who can overrule him and say 'no, not getting to do whatever you want is not an emergency'?

This would have to be a SCOTUS thing since the Senate isn't going to do a damn thing about anything from what I can see. Theoretically, congress could pass a law curtailing the president's power, but that's just not going to happen.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    People spoke about filing injunctions in court or some such but I dunno the exact mechanisms. If it's possible to do such a thing Trump is gonna have a hard time defending it because he has, many times, publicly said that the emergency declaration would be made if the quid pro quo didn't work out. Meaning it's not an emergency at all.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    he also made it clear the muslim ban was a muslim ban but that got ruled constitutional, so I wouldn't place any faith in the courts

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

A) racism was literally invented by the rich to get poor farmers to ignore their best interests
    B) “what do you think?” is a different question when it’s being asked by the national media of the enemy

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

A) racism was literally invented by the rich to get poor farmers to ignore their best interests
    B) “what do you think?” is a different question when it’s being asked by the national media of the enemy

I guess I just don't understand the concept of racism or "othering" at all.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It’s amazing how farmers are so tough they can lose a finger in a thresher and keep on working, but so terrified of refugees thousands of miles away that they will never see that they vote themselves into the poorhouse to get rid of them.

• Options
    It’s amazing how farmers are so tough they can lose a finger in a thresher and keep on working, but so terrified of refugees thousands of miles away that they will never see that they vote themselves into the poorhouse to get rid of them.

Besides, isn't farming the biggest employer of illegal immigrants in the US (or maybe it restaurants)?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Besides, isn't farming the biggest employer of illegal immigrants in the US (or maybe it restaurants)?

As a percentage of total employees I'd guess farming wins that prize. There's also the meat packing industry, which is farming adjacent and has ludicrous numbers of immigrants in the mix.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

The ironic part is no brown people are going to get hurt by a wall anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    It's really looking like the GOP line is "This is a Crisis and we need to give the POTUS emergency powers immediately!" More people are coming out of the woodwork saying it's the only way to get around the Democrats.

Lindsey Graham is a US Senator, and also a real piece of shit.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Can he even build the wall with emergency powers? It seems like the understanding is he can't, and surely Graham knows this?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Just full on Palpatine huh?

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    It's really looking like the GOP line is "This is a Crisis and we need to give the POTUS emergency powers immediately!" More people are coming out of the woodwork saying it's the only way to get around the Democrats.

This is beginning to remind my of the Star Wars prequels, and not in a good way.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Can he even build the wall with emergency powers? It seems like the understanding is he can't, and surely Graham knows this?

Could he be hoping that he'll declare it just so they can end the shutdown, then let the fallout come down squarely on Trump's head?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Building a wall will take at the very least months and months to construct. It is not a solution to what any person would deem an emergency.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Building a wall will take at the very least months and months to construct. It is not a solution to what any person would deem an emergency.

Cognitive dissonance never stopped them before.

They are framing the issue as a "Crisis" specifically to justify declaring an emergency. No one with a scrap of sense would agree that this is an emergency, but they're angling to set it up to be one in the eyes of their base. It lets them weasel out of the shutdown without looking like they lost, and it expands the executive powers yet again.

At this point, the GOP just want to give Trump his pacifier, and they'll do anything to make sure he's happy.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

This is beginning to remind my of the Star Wars prequels, and not in a good way.

Don't rewatch Babylon 5 anytime soon.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If this can be declared an emergency what can't be declared an emergency

lack of healthcare kills far more Americans than immigrants ever will. So in 2022 when president Warren decides to take military money to build hospitals that'd be ok right?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Graham said that yesterday too. And it is because he knows there is no other way to reopen the government outside of Congress overriding a veto which is the kiss of death for all of the Congressional Republicans. Though that is the legitimate and constitutional way out of this crisis.

Also the pain for workers is real.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/10/now-craigslist-facebook-household-items-furloughed-workers-trying-make-ends-meet/?utm_term=.71162aea1520

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.