As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Since I have some sort of inability to play with tank controls, I've never played more than 5 minutes of RE2, so therefore I really don't have a point of reference for the new game. I'll be going through and playing it with fresh eyes and I will probably use whatever guns and tools they give me, even if those things weren't available in the original.

If you really wanted to, as a point of comparison or to hype yourself, you could track down the N64 version. Not only is it higher resolution than the PSX version, it also has an option to use non-tank controls which work pretty well, from memory. It has been about 20 years though. The pre-rendered videos are heavily compressed to fit on a cart but it was a great version apart from that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So how big is this demo (filesize-wise), and do you get anything for finishing it? Because if it's just a trailer I can watch online, I might just wait for the game.
    I'm already sold on it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So how big is this demo (filesize-wise), and do you get anything for finishing it? Because if it's just a trailer I can watch online, I might just wait for the game.
    I'm already sold on it.

7gb or so for xbox one

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think the game is close enough to release where the 30 min demo is the perfect amount for me.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm already sold on it.

7gb or so for xbox one

Past RE "demos" have been fairly small too, if I remember correctly.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The one for RE7 was titled "The First Hour" and it was very similar to the One-Shot demo we have today. They let you start the game and you got an hour's worth of time.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm already sold on it.

7gb or so for xbox one

Past RE "demos" have been fairly small too, if I remember correctly.

The original RE2 demo cut out just past the STARS office as you needed a (iirc) Diamond key and it was removed from the demo so you couldn't progress.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I won't be able to check out the demo until after work, but I just started Resident Evil 2 PSOne Classic on my PSP Go, playing it during breaks at work. I beat RE2 way back when the n64 version released, so its kind of new again to me. I forgot there's an alternate mode where you start off with the submachine gun with infinite ammo. I haven't played it in forever, but it looks great on my PSP Go (Well, the backgrounds and menus look crisp, the PSX 3d models not so much). The hype is real!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm going to have to dive into the One-Shot over the weekend. I'm not going to be able to hold back.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I won't be able to check out the demo until after work, but I just started Resident Evil 2 PSOne Classic on my PSP Go, playing it during breaks at work. I beat RE2 way back when the n64 version released, so its kind of new again to me. I forgot there's an alternate mode where you start off with the submachine gun with infinite ammo. I haven't played it in forever, but it looks great on my PSP Go (Well, the backgrounds and menus look crisp, the PSX 3d models not so much). The hype is real!

The PSP Go was a neat little machine.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yoooooooooo

Played the demo and puttered my way to the first sight of a licker. Every zombie feels like a legitimate threat now, and my goodness is the damage modeling gross as fuck.

Very hyped and decided to drop the extra 10 for the special costumes.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, I broke my ‘no pre-orders’ rule last night. YOLO.

President Evil on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm playing the Switch port of the first revelation's game and it's my first time running through the game so i'm doing normal before i move up difficulties

The "You can only hold 30 Handgun shots and 20 shotgun shells and like 15 rifle shots" Mechanic that you can band-aid with finding the hidden carry capacity upgrades is something i am torn on.

On the one hand it helps me deal with the fact that i'm a horrible pack rat who will never use good weapons because i might need them later but now it's "well there's 4000 ammo around i should use them.."

On the bad hand it's created some fake ass "Here's a spot where a million enemies appear and you're locked in now you have no ammo bwahahaha." moments

Played the one shot for about 25 minutes last night. Never found an ink ribbon wondering if there was one, and actually got to a point where I wasn't sure where to go.

The knife sucks in this game? Is there any way to get it back without killing a zombie after sticking it in one? I ran out of ammo, was down to the knife, and then had nothing. So I decided to see what the death animation looks like.

Must say this game is gorgeous, and it felt tense at parts. They nailed the atmosphere. It's been so long since I played it I don't remember anything.

I think I may preorfer this and playthrough remake. I should play 0 though as I've never played it before.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Played the one shot for about 25 minutes last night. Never found an ink ribbon wondering if there was one, and actually got to a point where I wasn't sure where to go.

The knife sucks in this game? Is there any way to get it back without killing a zombie after sticking it in one? I ran out of ammo, was down to the knife, and then had nothing. So I decided to see what the death animation looks like.

Must say this game is gorgeous, and it felt tense at parts. They nailed the atmosphere. It's been so long since I played it I don't remember anything.

I think I may preorfer this and playthrough remake. I should play 0 though as I've never played it before.

You cannot. It says in the description you can only get it back if you take out the enemy.

And playing the demo was a mistake, cause now I WANT THE GAME NOW!!!!!!

It was so good!

And I never got to the end of it, like I thought, I spent too much time dicking around.

Finished the demo with 4 minutes to spare. I’ll give some more detailed thoughts in a bit.

The hype is real, y’all.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Was really really good demo. Controls felt good, sounds/visuals were fantastic. Really excited to go through RE2 with this new presentation. It's very well done! Was able to beat the demo with 2-3 minutes remaining.

@RickRude according to the brief blerb they give you, you can only get the knife back after you kill the zombie it's stuck in. There was at least one other knife in the demo, but running away is totally a legit strategy in this game. I did that a bunch in the beginning.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Soooooooo goooooood.

Need moooooore...

Aumni wrote: »
    Was really really good demo. Controls felt good, sounds/visuals were fantastic. Really excited to go through RE2 with this new presentation. It's very well done! Was able to beat the demo with 2-3 minutes remaining.

@RickRude according to the brief blerb they give you, you can only get the knife back after you kill the zombie it's stuck in. There was at least one other knife in the demo, but running away is totally a legit strategy in this game. I did that a bunch in the beginning.

I remember doing that in my original play through but now it's ingrained in me that I must kill everything.

Played the demo! Was not displeased! A good bit clunkier and claustrophobic than the other third-person shooters I've been spoiled by on Xbox, but that's kind of the point.

Definitely keeping my Amazon pre-order.

Demo thoughts:
    Game looks real good in motion. Crazy detail in the gore. The RE Engine continues to impress. General atmosphere is damn near perfect. Capcom's clearly taken the player's expectations into consideration; I imagine everyone who rounds that specific corner of RPD is immediately gonna look up for a Licker - there's something else there entirely to look at!

I sure did like when I grabbed that shotgun and blew that first zombie's head off! Saddened we seemingly didn't have access to the S.T.A.R.S. office.

Best moment for me was in the dark room. Walk over, flip the light switch, and the music kicks in. So cool!

Two weeks! :D

Kind of surprise it's a $60 game. Looks and plays gorgeous but it's still only a 5-6 hour game right?

I mean, that's no different then the original game, which was $50 USD when released? But it is also two separate characters to play as, and the extra scenarios (and maybe a mercenary mode). There is plenty to the game.

And Resident Evil 7 base game was 9-12 hours for most people. And was phenomenal.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @President Evil yup. that was also my 2019 Moment of the Year so far.

I wasn't able to finish the demo on PC but man it controls AWESOME. And is it just me or...
    do zombies like eat bullets for breakfast? I'm pretty sure I only "killed" zombies using the shotgun. The fat zombie didn't care how many shotguns.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    if anything most resident evils are very replayable. shit I was gonna hold off until I beat KH3 but man now I'm torn.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    2-3 shots to the knee and then to the head worked best for me.

Kind of surprise it's a $60 game. Looks and plays gorgeous but it's still only a 5-6 hour game right?

You can get it for $45 in a lot of places, which isn't so bad.

in the demo, a couple of head shots normally dropped them. Sometimes blasting them in the chest to stagger them, then right to the head once or twice to drop them.

Sadly I am currently Le poor and would prefer something like this on my xbox. Might just play REmake to scratch the itch and resident evil 0 remastered . But this demo felt really, really good.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Finished the demo.

Leon muttering "son of bitch..." in such an annoyed voice after a few missed shots struck me as funny.

Will probably buy. Will not preorder. Might wait for a sale.

Is the 5-6 hour completion mark counting just one playthrough on one character, or is that for both Leon and Clair together?

I've been on kind of a Resident Evil bender for the past few weeks. I hadn't played the series since Code: VERONICA way back in the day. I recently finished up the REmake and RE4. Think I'll do RE0 next. Then move on to RE5, 6, and 7.

RE4 was alright. The controls took some getting used to, the camera was fuckin' awful, and the story is pretty divorced from nearly everything else in the Resident Evil universe to that point. I'm not sure why it received such praise. I guess you had to be there.

RT800 on
    I think the 5-6 hour thing is a guesstimate, or at least I haven't seen anything official on length so far.

The story has both characters combined, so you won't be able to play through each way anymore.

What platform did you play RE4 on? I've heard not great things about the PC version unless you mod it.

The camera and controls were very much a concious decision in that game, they wanted to keep it claustrophobic when you were engaged in combat even though the actual zones you had to explore were significantly larger.

It blew my mind playing it. I got two save points deep and then had to call my friend drop round at his place and play through the whole game over the course of the weekend. It had incredible replayability too, with extra weapons, modes etc.

RE4 went on to influence a decade of third person shooters for better or worse.

Later on that same friend and I would play through RE5 together, which is probably why I'm a lot higher on that game than most. It's a great multiplayer game but an abysmal singleplayer one.

edited January 2019
    I played the unmodded PC version on Steam.

The shooting is fun enough at times, but also frequently frustrating.

Like there were times when I could hear that I was being chased by enemies - but the only way that I could ever see them or fight them was to have my character come to a complete stop, slowly turn around, raise his weapon, and then take aim. By which time, of course, they'd already have grabbed me or gotten in several free hits.

I also got ambushed fairly frequently because the camera just decided not to let me see anything to Leon's right or left. Like, "unless you bodily turn Leon to the left, you just can't look left".

And a lot of the time the camera would follow Leon from below, like the camera had been placed at his feet instead of over-the-shoulder, so you'd get a great view of the ceilings or skybox instead of the terrain.

RT800 on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If that's the current version on Steam, it's okay.
    The original PC version was a mess, but they eventually cleaned it up.

If you're playing with a controller, I think you can use the second stick to look left and right while running? You could on the GC, maybe they changed it.
    Also, there's a quick turn (back and press run I think). I'm pretty sure it's listed in the playing manual you're sent early on, which of course everyone read all the way through and didn't just ignore for the entire game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They couldn't just make a stand alone demo like RE7?

Kelor wrote: »
    I think the 5-6 hour thing is a guesstimate, or at least I haven't seen anything official on length so far.

The story has both characters combined, so you won't be able to play through each way anymore.

That is not true. They got rid of the Leon A/Claire B and Claire A/Leon B stuff, but they are still separate scenarios you play through: https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-2-leon-claire-campaign/
    The original Resident Evil 2 is notable for its “Zapping” system, wherein the game effectively had four different campaigns, two for each character, that could impact one another. For example, players could go through Leon Scenario A or Leon Scenario B, and player actions in those campaigns would impact Claire’s playthrough and vice versa. Anyone hoping to see the Zapping system return for the Resident Evil 2 remake will be disappointed, but the game will still have separate campaigns for Leon and Claire.

As revealed by Resident Evil 2 producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi in an interview with Game Informer at E3 2018, the team felt the Zapping system from the original release involved too much backtracking and was “tedious for players.” Having two distinct stories for Leon and Claire is a way to streamline the experience while still giving players unique situations depending on which character they choose to play as.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What’s the best way to kill zombies in RE2Rm?

These things are taking a billion bullets to kill and I have a feeling there isn’t enough bullets in the full game to kill them inefficiently.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    With the Leon campaign, Claire campaign, as well as the
    Hunk/Tofu campaign, and probably some version of Extreme Battle or Mercenaries?
    Even without the zapping system I can see there being plenty of content here.

Burnage on
    edited January 2019
    I didn't have any problem with the zombies in the REMake2 Demo.

Just shoot 'em in the head.

Side note about the demo: I liked that you could find boards and board up various windows throughout the station to stop zombies from getting in. Neat little touch.

RT800 on
    Huh--did not realize it was that short. And it doesn't seem likely to have a Mercenaries mode.

I guess I ought to reconsider it. Or at least just go with standard edition.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I didn't have any problem with the zombies in the REMake2 Demo.

Just shoot 'em in the head.

Side note about the demo: I liked that you could find boards and board up various windows throughout the station to stop zombies from getting in. Neat little touch.

Yeah, but shooting in the head takes like 8 bullets.

This discussion has been closed.