As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    I get the bad feeling they're going to start squeezing the Overwatch team for more money to try to make up for it. I mean I guess should stop playing so much Overwatch anyway, but still

I got back into it in the last few weeks and it feels like it takes significantly longer to find matches than it used to, which surprised me. But yeah, Activision is insane, they basically expect 2016 revenue (OW launched, a billion dollars or sth that year, see the article above) every year from Blizzard afair

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Now can Blizzard get themselves back out?

We can only pray

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Doobh wrote: »
    I soured a bit on Catherine in hindsight (if you played it, you can probably guess why), but it's otherwise a pretty well-regarded game

Yeah I want to hear exactly how the new additions work, and if certain parts of the story have been re-worked at all before recommending it to anyone.

Because while the puzzles were cool and the story was, in a lot of ways, very cool, the stuff that was (in hindsight) not cool was very not cool.

probably one of nicest, sweetest people I met online recommended this game to me because of its trans representation

which goes to show you how easy it is to overlook common bigotries, no matter how aware you are of them (I don't hold it against him, or anything, there was literally zero malice - he just had a bad impression)

Oofa-doofa.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Now can Blizzard get themselves back out?

We can only pray
    It

Probably isn't gonna happen

Bungie and Activision just had a partnership for Destiny, Bungie was, and is, an independent company and was only beholden to Activision in regards to those titles

Blizzard is literally owned by Activision and has become one giant company

That probably won't ever be undone

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the only way to accomplish it is people, or entire studios, quitting. Which, you know, might happen sometime down the line, but I doubt it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    What's wrong with Activision?

they've pulled some early 2000s level EA level greedy bullshit in the past couple years, and the proliferation of loot boxes/mundane grindiness of blizzard games in the last few years can be placed pretty squarely at activisions feet

It's convenient to use the non-Blizzard half of the company as a scapegoat but is there any evidence that's how it happened?

There's been a good article about it on Kotaku afair, written by Schreier

e: there it is

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

that's not about how developers feel like activision has forced blizzard to build in microtransactions and loot boxes, it's about how developers felt like activision was interfering with decisions about what projects to cancel or pursue, specifically regarding the canceled second Diablo 3 expasion.

e: which isn't to say I don't believe the impetus to include MTX comes from the management, but there's probably no meaningful distinction between blizzard management and activision so you can point at THAT half of the company and say "THAT'S why thing X sucks, not because of MY guys!"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    That's not entirely true, it's also about the increasing change of climate

Like, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm sure that loot boxes / card packs are not an idea that Activision foisted upon Blizzard with nobody there coming up with or liking it. But when you read that article, the increasing slant towards grind and microtransaction can easily be seen as a side-effect of the increasing influence of Activision, which is what many people felt for a while now.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I see that slide towards lootboxes and shit as an industry-wide waddle towards where they smell money which would be happening regardless of who's in charge of management at blizzard
    and blaming activision for blizzard's lootboxes is like blaming someone's right hand for their left hand slapping you

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ehh, if you look at Monolith's statement after Warner took out lootboxes out of Shadow of War, you strongly get the impression that was not the dev's idea. So yeah, we can agree that EA, Blizzard/Activision and Warner suck in that regard. The difference being that EA still is very much on the worst kind of lootbox train (FIFA), and Blizzard gets an imo undeserved pass for their "it's cosmetics!" in OW

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

As always, Activision turning one of the best B-tier developers into a CoD map factory still bums me right the fuck out.

Free Raven Software!

• Options
    While we're at it, a friend of mine stopped opening lootboxes immediately in Overwatch, and only cracks them open when he's got a couple of dozens. I kinda joked about him needing more to get his high, but...I'm not entirely sure it's that funny. At least he's not buying any, I guess

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not giving Bungie a pass until they prove they are willing to patch their games without requiring you to purchase an expansion.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Blizzard is only a name and logo. It's all Activision.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've been playing Crosscode.

I want to finish it, but the further into it I get, the less enjoyable the combat gets.

Early on I could just attack and sometimes there'd be enemies that have to be hit in the back or with ranged attacks. As the game went on bosses started requiring more and more precision. One boss fight I got annoyed and dropped the difficulty to enemies doing 20% damage and it still took me two tries after that. Foolishly I set it back to 100% afterwards, but now I'm thinking I should just drop it down again for the rest of the game. Because now there are these bug samurai enemies and they are fucking murdering me.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Had a successful gaming outing today though I do need to make a tweak and have people gather in the PA FNG Steam chat starting around 3:30 pm PST so that we can hash out which game we are playing.

Tonight it was 4 player Monaco and much smooth thieving was had--as other thieves died/ran screaming away from the guards.
    Karoz wrote: »
    Hi all, just a reminder that today, tomorrow and Saturday at 4 pm PST I'll be holding Friday Night Gaming sessions for an hour each (possible to go longer since I have the free time).

Friday Night Gaming Steam Group--we'll gather in the group chat there as time approaches.

Games this Week (as according to the poll)
    Magicka 1/Magicka 2
    Terraria
    Castle Crasher
    Torchlight 2
    Monaco

F2P Options:
    Warframe
    SCP: Secret Labratory

Games are subject to whims of players who show up and nothing is set in stone.

I hope to continue this through my school semester, but I'll see. Classes come first after all.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Aistan wrote: »
    Blizzard is only a name and logo. It's all Activision.

ehhh they don't share their development teams or resources with projects outside the blizzard division, like they don't use blizzard's cinematics department for other activision projects. They hire separately, and they are physically located on their own campus. There's still probably a pretty significant sense of a degree of separation from the activision side of things there, at least for people below management level.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I want to finish it, but the further into it I get, the less enjoyable the combat gets.

Early on I could just attack and sometimes there'd be enemies that have to be hit in the back or with ranged attacks. As the game went on bosses started requiring more and more precision. One boss fight I got annoyed and dropped the difficulty to enemies doing 20% damage and it still took me two tries after that. Foolishly I set it back to 100% afterwards, but now I'm thinking I should just drop it down again for the rest of the game. Because now there are these bug samurai enemies and they are fucking murdering me.

CrossCode is a pretty weird beast.

The combat model doesn't react well to players staying at range, and it doesn't function well in melee; mostly because of the lack of various forms of feedback. Boss battles in particular will move the camera around which wreaks havoc with mobility and aiming.

It gets points for being possibly the only rpg with a combat practice area. Of course it's a bit out of the way, but I guess you can't win 'em all.

The talent tree is ... confusing. Though I'm looking at it again and going through the manual and the 'swap branches' system suddenly makes a lot more sense ... at least from one perspective. The actual placement (and values) of the nodes still seems a bit haphazard. I'm not sure how I feel about the way the ability points aren't shared between trees. Hm. Playing around in the training room, I'm now seeing that even the neutral tree's passives are removed when using an element.

That seems extra-weird. And I'm really not sure how to feel about it.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that the Activision Bungie split news is the first time I've had any interest in Destiny?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah CrossCode doesn't force you to engage with a lot of its systems until fairly late i n the game, and it's not always clear which gear does what.

Learning and practicing some of the Guard Arts was really helpful for me, as was just spending any extra cash I had to get myself to the right level.

I put a lot of points into anything that allowed for passive health regen, and then a lot of the dash arts for chasing down enemies.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

If your gear isn't up to date, you're gonna be in for a rough time. Same with not eating food. I'd make sure your gear's better than what's buyable, and you're using spicy buns (cheap +10% attack) items for encounters, and you'll feel SO much better.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Tamin wrote: »

CrossCode is a pretty weird beast.

The combat model doesn't react well to players staying at range, and it doesn't function well in melee; mostly because of the lack of various forms of feedback. Boss battles in particular will move the camera around which wreaks havoc with mobility and aiming.

It gets points for being possibly the only rpg with a combat practice area. Of course it's a bit out of the way, but I guess you can't win 'em all.

The talent tree is ... confusing. Though I'm looking at it again and going through the manual and the 'swap branches' system suddenly makes a lot more sense ... at least from one perspective. The actual placement (and values) of the nodes still seems a bit haphazard. I'm not sure how I feel about the way the ability points aren't shared between trees. Hm. Playing around in the training room, I'm now seeing that even the neutral tree's passives are removed when using an element.

That seems extra-weird. And I'm really not sure how to feel about it.

Neutral tree nodes count at half strength when not neutral.

The combat didn't click with me until I started speed running it. Now I think it's super super good, but it didn't work with me either...until it did.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So it turns out I already own A Story About my Uncle.

Whoops

Here's a steam key for it
    B4PLT-HCQLY-FDLZ

The last digit is...
    one plus one

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm 90% sure it was part of a Humble Monthly last year

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

FUCK YEAH

Hopefully they can make destiny good again.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    I wonder what that means for my copy of Destiny that runs through the b.net thing

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Oh, half strength tracks better. When I saw the numbers change, I just did some napkin math.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

If your gear isn't up to date, you're gonna be in for a rough time. Same with not eating food. I'd make sure your gear's better than what's buyable, and you're using spicy buns (cheap +10% attack) items for encounters, and you'll feel SO much better.

I did have one point where I was having trouble and noticed that my gear was lower level than the enemies, though right now I'm at an appropriate level. Not sure how big a difference it makes that I don't have anything from the trade vendors.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    They should write tess Everett out of destiny

Have cayde-7 come and kill her, I'd take Nathan fillian back to get rid of the stupid in game shop.

Oh

Make her the boss of a raid. That'd be cathartic.

Plus then you can get better Claudia black lines.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    For those interested, Catherine is available for 15 bucks on Voidu, which I find is a more agreeable price

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Woo! I didn't fuck up in AC: Odyssey!
    Thought I 'recycled' the Viper set of armor since I do that with literally every piece of gear/weapons I can if it's not immediately useful. This only matters because I didn't find out until long after that you could actually upgrade that stuff to your current level with some crafting material and cash. I was tossing some stuff into my ship's inventory and noticed the Viper hood. Then on a lark kept scrolling and found the entire set.

This is awesome, because it's probably the perfect set for how I'm building Kassandra (all poison/assassin damage, all the time).

sig.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Thought I 'recycled' the Viper set of armor since I do that with literally every piece of gear/weapons I can if it's not immediately useful. This only matters because I didn't find out until long after that you could actually upgrade that stuff to your current level with some crafting material and cash. I was tossing some stuff into my ship's inventory and noticed the Viper hood. Then on a lark kept scrolling and found the entire set.

This is awesome, because it's probably the perfect set for how I'm building Kassandra (all poison/assassin damage, all the time).

I was real relieved when I realized you can't actually recycle epics because I had the same thought about some earlier stuff

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Upgrading the pieces to your lvl is soooo expensive though :S
    or did they patch that?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I don't know how expensive it is, I just keep hitting 'upgrade' until I'm done or I run out of material/cash to do it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing, I read something yesterday that I must have missed when it happened: THQ Nordic bought the rights to Kingdoms of Amalur? Including Copernicus and all its assets? That's weird!

And today on RPS I saw they bought the rights to Outcast. Hm!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm always disappointed when I discover that I need to murder 600 wolves to get a better pair of boots.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing, I read something yesterday that I must have missed when it happened: THQ Nordic bought the rights to Kingdoms of Amalur? Including Copernicus and all its assets? That's weird!

And today on RPS I saw they bought the rights to Outcast. Hm!

It feels like they've bought the rights too half of the industry's dead or dormant ip at this point.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Man I wanna play more Odyssey, I was enjoying it a lot on Google stream, but I'd much rather play it on my own pc with good resolution. Gotta wait til the 15th when it's mine for reals though.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Alright, I completed the demo in 19 minutes because I felt I had to hurry.
    zommhqhsvemw.jpg

I really like what I played! It looks great, there's some wonderful gore,
    l2g0v5fyg4wf.jpg

and it thankfully feels pretty survival horror-y to me (zombies take multiple shots to the head and then some till they die).

Apparently with my 1070, I shouldn't go past "high 1" in texture quality, because "bugs might occur" if I use more than 60% of my GPU memory? We'll see, game. We'll see. I'm sold (literally, just bought it off GMG). Might have to load up the original RE2 this weekend.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Can you still decide which character to play first and have it be different from the other way?

My favorite thing was playing Rebecca first then Leon second and saving the one shot rocket launcher you get for the very end Tyrant fight.
    It makes the fight literally one shot and the camera zooms in for Leon to say, "Game Over." before exploding the Tyrant. It was very fun and cool to discover on my own.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.