As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] Downwell, Dragon Marked for Death, and Wargroove out now.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 8 isn't comign to Switch this is bullshit

It's weird. Kinda funny in its conspicuous absence but not funny enough to make up for the disappointment for FF8 fans

It’s rumored they lost the source code and/or they lost the rights to Eyes On Me, both of which are kinda necessary for the game.

Record a new song!

Build a PS1 emulator and just upload the ISO!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

These are free solutions here, Square

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    pacing is a problem in almost every JRPG I've played

even Chrono Trigger has a couple spots that drag

Agreed. One of my favorite things about Undertale and other indie JRPGs is that they actually don't drag out the experience in the same way. Just leave in the main story arc thank you. Extra stuff can be for post game.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    mageormike wrote: »
    I replayed FF9 awhile ago and finally understood the hubbub about the poor pacing. I love to death everything up through the end of the first arc, but once you leave the main continent the story begins to drag and loses all focus.
    I'd really like it if more rpgs focused on the smaller scale stories and didn't have to end up as world-saving mega-quests.

It’s not even so much the pacing of the plot, which also has issues but is basically standard for a JRPG. Mechanically, the game takes forever. Load times, combat animations (even basic attacks), everything. It all drags.

I love the game to death because of the characters and art style but goddamn.

If you get it on PC there's a fast forward button, which helps a lot.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

It's weird. Kinda funny in its conspicuous absence but not funny enough to make up for the disappointment for FF8 fans

It’s rumored they lost the source code and/or they lost the rights to Eyes On Me, both of which are kinda necessary for the game.

FF8 had Tupac??!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Record a new song!

doesn't solve the pre-rendered background issues. likely they lost the files for those as well.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    mageormike wrote: »

Agreed. One of my favorite things about Undertale and other indie JRPGs is that they actually don't drag out the experience in the same way. Just leave in the main story arc thank you. Extra stuff can be for post game.

This, or go the complete opposite direction where it's only sidequests. That's how I played Skyrim and how I've done BotW so far; it gives you that sense of exploration, progression, and quick story bites that don't have the time to overstay their welcome while removing the onerous obligation to actually see the overblown plot through.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I was so disappointed in the finale for BOW that I didn't end up finishing it.
    My final boss was the first time I defeated a Lynel.
    (it was during a rainstorm and was incredibly dramatic/tense)

Naphtali wrote: »

Record a new song!

doesn't solve the pre-rendered background issues. likely they lost the files for those as well.

I'll draw them new ones!

Solveable problems!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    here's my ranked list of Final Fantasy games I've played for more than 15 minutes
    1. FFXV (own it on Steam, got the first royal weapon or whatever it's called, the thing from the tomb, I need to go back to this but it takes way too much HD space but I was really enjoying it)
    2. Crystal Chronicles (played it a bunch at a friend's house 2-player, I remember it being really hard and short)
    3. FFVIII (played through part way of the first disc and wasn't enjoying it (though it was my first non-Nintendo-made JRPG), all the cutscenes were fucked up and ran at about 2 FPS)
    4. FF Tactics Advance (played for like 20 minutes)

Crippl3 on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    crystal chronicles was some bullshit

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Crystal Chronicles was amazing with friends.

I have the chalice, I make the rules!

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Crystal Chronicles is probably the only FF release on the Switch I'm getting.

At least until Theathrythm 3.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    crystal chronicles was a good way to figure out which of your friends you should stop inviting to your house

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I played Crystal Chronicles solo.

I carried that bucket myself, and I liked it

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    i am learning which people i shouldn't be alone in a room with

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »
    XIV actually uses a lot of archaic language too.

They just keep it to using words that see little use or old speech patterns instead of -th on everything. It also isn't every damned line.

Unless Urianger is having a moment, the giant nerd.

Also wrt FF15, I've got real mixed feeling on that game but the last like, half hour and ending are so good (to me) that I forgave a lot of the other shit I didn't like.

The mid-credits scene is fucking brutal.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

considering solo mode gives you an ai helper solely for the purpose of carrying the pail

this is slightly worrying behavior

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »

considering solo mode gives you an ai helper solely for the purpose of carrying the pail

this is slightly worrying behavior

...I may have forgotten that there was a moogle

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with Type 0 and world of FF and other types of spin-off btw, always curious with them

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

To be fair Chrono Trigger came out like 23 years ago
    Is it still popular to young people nowadays
    I'm old gosh dang it

edit:sorry for double posting

Peas on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I bought type 0 on a whim for cheap not that long ago with no expectations whatsoever and liked it a lot with the exception of the big dumb finale requiring prior knowledge of how it was going to work in order to do it properly

world of FF I also liked a lot and it is pretty much a straight up turn based jurp with a unique battle mechanic but its very long and sort of outstays its welcome

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Zell had combo enders to his limit breaks

He could punch the ground so hard it would open a rift in the earth and spew fire up at the enemy

He could jump into the air, focus his power, and then literally punch through the enemy, leaving behind a ball of energy that would explode after like five solid seconds of nothing happening

He could backflip kick the enemy over and over and over, just rising higher every time, until he and the enemy were in the upper atmosphere, at which point he would punch them down to the ground

He could charge up energy for a punch, run past the enemy, go all the way around the planet, and then punch them

Zell rules

People very quickly figured out, however, that chaining together his two most basic attacks was much more effective because they had extremely short inputs, and scaled better off Zell's strength than the finishers themselves

The strategy became known amongst fans as "Armageddon Fist"

Also my secret theory about why they cant re-release VIII is the same reason they cant re-release crisis core and dirge: they've gone on record saying that Gackt was the model for Squall's face and I know his legal team is very protective of his likeness

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Zell had combo enders to his limit breaks

He could punch the ground so hard it would open a rift in the earth and spew fire up at the enemy

He could jump into the air, focus his power, and then literally punch through the enemy, leaving behind a ball of energy that would explode after like five solid seconds of nothing happening

He could backflip kick the enemy over and over and over, just rising higher every time, until he and the enemy were in the upper atmosphere, at which point he would punch them down to the ground

He could charge up energy for a punch, run past the enemy, go all the way around the planet, and then punch them

Zell rules

People very quickly figured out, however, that chaining together his two most basic attacks was much more effective because they had extremely short inputs, and scaled better off Zell's strength than the finishers themselves

The strategy became known amongst fans as "Armageddon Fist"

Imagining him getting off a hundred attacks in thirteen seconds is another reason Zell is very good

dN0T6ur.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So thanks to that crazy digital sale on Mario + Rabbids Gold Edition the other week, I've finally been delving into the DK DLC. Holy crap, DK and Cranky Rabbid are broken as fuck. DK's movement options alone basically make him as good as two characters, so I often just send him off solo on one side of the map and the rabbids on another. I really like the new objective types they came up with for the DLC as well.

I hope this game gets some kind of sequel, because the mechanics at play are so good feeling.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Also my secret theory about why they cant re-release VIII is the same reason they cant re-release crisis core and dirge: they've gone on record saying that Gackt was the model for Squall's face and I know his legal team is very protective of his likeness

Make a new model!

They can base it on me! Make Squall a girl this time around!

FREE SOLUTIONS!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Ideas are free. Implementing all of them would take time, money, and effort that square enix is unwilling to spend.

But no I get it. Square enix should do whatever they can to get ff8 on switch and it's bullshit that they're not.

pHWHd2G.jpg
    FREE

SOLUTIONS

cdci44qazyo3.gif

@OmnipotentBagel can you start an asklexi column

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    1. X
    2. X-2
    3. VIII
    4. XIV
    5. VII
    6. XV
    7. XIII
    8. VI
    9. IX
    10. I
    11. XII

I haven’t played II, III, IV, V or XI enough (or at all) to place them

UnbreakableVow on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Pages late, don't care.
    Best OT book is habakkuk. Just a few pages, wherin habakkuk repeatedly says, God, why's things gotta suck so much? Why evil? And god replies repeatedly "oh brother you haven't even SEEN the shit that is coming. Excerpt in the spoiler. Easily my face book to talk about the "problem of evil"
    Habakkuk’s Complaint
    2 How long, Lord, must I call for help,
    but you do not listen?
    Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
    but you do not save?
    3 Why do you make me look at injustice?
    Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?
    Destruction and violence are before me;
    there is strife, and conflict abounds.
    4 Therefore the law is paralyzed,
    and justice never prevails.
    The wicked hem in the righteous,
    so that justice is perverted.

The Lord’s Answer
    5 “Look at the nations and watch—
    and be utterly amazed.
    For I am going to do something in your days
    that you would not believe,
    even if you were told.
    6 I am raising up the Babylonians,[a]
    that ruthless and impetuous people,
    who sweep across the whole earth
    to seize dwellings not their own.
    7 They are a feared and dreaded people;
    they are a law to themselves
    and promote their own honor.
    8 Their horses are swifter than leopards,
    fiercer than wolves at dusk.
    Their cavalry gallops headlong;
    their horsemen come from afar.
    They fly like an eagle swooping to devour;
    9 they all come intent on violence.
    Their hordes advance like a desert wind
    and gather prisoners like sand.
    10 They mock kings
    and scoff at rulers.
    They laugh at all fortified cities;
    by building earthen ramps they capture them.
    11 Then they sweep past like the wind and go on—
    guilty people, whose own strength is their god.”

QuantumTurk on
    OmnipotentBagel can you start an asklexi column

What about an advice podcast? I don't think anyone's done one of those yet.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

OmnipotentBagel can you start an asklexi column

What about an advice podcast? I don't think anyone's done one of those yet.

Dear Lexi,

a kid through a ball through my window and broke it but I can't afford to fix it, what should I do?

Dear Reader,

DRAW A NEW WINDOW

FREE SOLUTIONS

NEXT QUESTION

Plastic wrap is basically the same thing as glass if you think about it hard enough

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

Make a new model!

FREE SOLUTIONS!

they'd have to make a new model and then implement that model into all of the CGI cutscenes, and they may or may not still have the original WIP files archived (and even if they were archived, they'd be in old 90s formats)
    they could just make a new face and transpose it onto the original footage, I guess? I suspect that if this is a reason for why they aren't re-releasing it it's just one of many, though

also why on earth would you want to be Squall, that sounds like a horrible idea

Neveron wrote: »

Make a new model!

FREE SOLUTIONS!

they'd have to make a new model and then implement that model into all of the CGI cutscenes, and they may or may not still have the original WIP files archived (and even if they were archived, they'd be in old 90s formats)
    they could just make a new face and transpose it onto the original footage, I guess? I suspect that if this is a reason for why they aren't re-releasing it it's just one of many, though

also why on earth would you want to be Squall, that sounds like a horrible idea

I think some of you are missing the part where I say it's free.

And because I'd look cute in his jacket.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I'm gonna be the new fujin

edited January 2019
    I'm gonna be the new fujin

oh cool I was really hoping you'd be in MK 11!

Chincymcchilla on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My understanding is that Bagel is offering to draw, model, texture, code, render, compose, voice, perform, and do any other kind of necessary implementation task for free, so I'm pretty sure there are no valid counter-arguments.

This discussion has been closed.