As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestle(ing)] Kingdom, the live-action CGI event, January 4th

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm curious, do injuries in the ring get covered by workman's comp?

Well, not if you're an independent contractor. Actually, Cody's comments on health care would probably point towards the majority of talent being independent contractors.
    A lot of concerns that guys will have is what happens if I get hurt in the ring? Because that's the one thing WWE covers and we can confirm anyone that gets hurt in an AEW ring will be 100 percent taken care of by AEW.

Not "you'll have health insurance" but "the company will cover it". It's actually kinda interesting to see them use this to position themselves as competitive with the WWE, basically telling people "you won't lose this if you leave the fed".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm curious, do injuries in the ring get covered by workman's comp?

Well, not if you're an independent contractor. Actually, Cody's comments on health care would probably point towards the majority of talent being independent contractors.
    A lot of concerns that guys will have is what happens if I get hurt in the ring? Because that's the one thing WWE covers and we can confirm anyone that gets hurt in an AEW ring will be 100 percent taken care of by AEW.

Not "you'll have health insurance" but "the company will cover it". It's actually kinda interesting to see them use this to position themselves as competitive with the WWE, basically telling people "you won't lose this if you leave the fed".

Oh wow, that certainly adds a layer of complexity to navigate around. But it does explain why the wrestlers probably will not be getting a group health insurance offering.

Super curious how to make it legally binding for AEW to cover someone's injuries, though.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh, it won't be legally binding. Same as the WWE, they say they'll cover the injuries and then they do and if they don't... well, the person is screwed but then, so is the company, because now talent knows the company won't cover them.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Oh, it won't be legally binding. Same as the WWE, they say they'll cover the injuries and then they do and if they don't... well, the person is screwed but then, so is the company, because now talent knows the company won't cover them.

Of course that arrangement only lasts as long as they both need each other to survive. If AEW ever gets as big as the WWE then that's a poor foundation of understanding.

Thanks for these explanations, btw, this is seriously fascinating.

The AEW getting as big as the WWE, or even threatening, would be the best thing to happen to talent. Wrestlers are never taken as seriously by companies as when they can go "OK, screw you, I'm gonna go to your biggest competitor and be a star there".

It might actually be what pushes one of them over the hump and into offering actual health care, if that's how the WWE can keep their biggest stars or how the AEW can lure them over.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Oh man. I can't decide if I really want Ishii to be a dork, just for the comedy of it, or if it would just ruin his whole deal if he was like, secretly the lead singer in a ska band or something.

Are you trying to say that lead singers of ska bands are dork?
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    WWE trademarked a new PPV name: Worlds Collide

I'm gonna guess this is the inevitable WWE vs. NXT show that was going to happen at some point

WWE announced it as a 205/NXT/NXT UK tournament.

During Royal Rumble Axxess

Much less exciting.

The AEW getting as big as the WWE, or even threatening, would be the best thing to happen to talent. Wrestlers are never taken as seriously by companies as when they can go "OK, screw you, I'm gonna go to your biggest competitor and be a star there".

It might actually be what pushes one of them over the hump and into offering actual health care, if that's how the WWE can keep their biggest stars or how the AEW can lure them over.

Sorry, I should have defined that a bit more. In my scenario, the WWE has been crushed. There is no competition anymore. That's what I mean when I say as big as the WWE, since that's how big they got.

While I will admit this is a ridiculous hypothetical, it's also the current reality with the WWE, and should probably be addressed at this stage in the game, when their talent still has negotiating power.

But you're right about the competitive angle.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The economics of Wrestling companies has always fascinated me. Most shows for non WWE don't get huge crowds (and sometimes Smackdown doesn't!) and insurance for all would be a huge expense. I am not surprised at all AEW was like "lol no, you misunderstood". It's what I expected.

2019 is going to be interesting.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Yeah... it's tough to say. I don't think there was ever a time where the WWE felt like they didn't have some sort of competition, even if they obviously weren't feeling the heat especially during the TNA years. I mean, they're still covering people who get injured for the same reason. And I think it'd be the same with the AEW, there'll always be an Impact or an ROH or a New Japan who sees the US as the natural next big market for them.

And we've seen this sort of situation before, when it was WWF and WCW and it was not addressed then. Wrestlers then had a lot of negotiating power and they generally used it to get themselves a fat guaranteed paycheck, some of them at the expense of an entire company. But the demographics of wrestlers as a group have changed a lot since then and it's a shift that'll probably continue. My guess is that if this current situation doesn't see health care become a bargaining chip, then we'll probably see a wrestlers union before we see standardized health care, and I still think that's a while off. Especially when some of the biggest proponents of it becomes management, because management tends to view unions just a tad bit differently.

I don't know. Here's one of the best wrestling themes of all time, enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-qfLVihWc

euj90n71sojo.png
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Couple announcements from a DDT presser this morning:

Naomi Yoshimura, who recently returned from an overseas excursion and then suffered an injury three days before he was supposed to get a title shot, will be back in the ring next month! I'm so glad to see him back and honestly just relieved he's okay.

Tetsuya Endo vs Naomichi Marufuji has been scheduled for Judgement as a Dramatic Dream Match. Endo says he respects Marufuji, but not enough to keep him from eating his strictly scheduled lunch during the presser. Keeping up that perfect body takes discipline, after all.

And finally, Ryota Yamasato will appear as a special guest at the MuscleMania show next month. Also, Andreza Giant Panda has been booked in a match for the show. Because according to Super Sasadango Machine's social media research, people love Andreza, so it'd be stupid not to book him.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    That’s the thing I was most excited about with AEW, it’s something that really could have changed the thinking of a lot of wrestling and been leverage in other places. The fact that it’s just for the wrestlers doing office work (aka the people who founded it rn) is a huge disappointment.

See I always read it that way, but I also read it as a lot of jobs in addition to performer were going to be available.So if you want a full time gig there would be office, creative, production opportunities etc that would make that possible.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Oh man. I can't decide if I really want Ishii to be a dork, just for the comedy of it, or if it would just ruin his whole deal if he was like, secretly the lead singer in a ska band or something.

Are you trying to say that lead singers of ska bands are dork?
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    WWE trademarked a new PPV name: Worlds Collide

I'm gonna guess this is the inevitable WWE vs. NXT show that was going to happen at some point

WWE announced it as a 205/NXT/NXT UK tournament.

During Royal Rumble Axxess

Much less exciting.

I wouldn't dare

HhNCL29SFVhiUJAykaBcM7-970-80.jpg

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well

I guess it was only a matter of time

Let's fucking do this 2 days after my birthday <3
    Dwl4oujW0AAhdvz.jpg

Sweeney Tom on
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

There's a lot of times I don't get Kayfabe News or find them unfunny... But I've been hanging out on Wreddit, and this one hits really, really close to reality.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well holy shit that is something you never heard of (the second bolded part)
    Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he’d have been pushed as one of its top stars.

The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I’ve never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren’t happy with their push.

Of course, WWE was fully aware of the Khan deal as this was going down, which was one of the reasons they went so hard in locking up talent of late. The great offer with the six-month window was with knowledge that Khan was not doing the promotion without The Bucks & Cody and signing them would keep them from being opposition. Without them, Khan wouldn’t have the star power and stars of All In, meaning he’d likely not have the openings to everything from television to top talent that was necessary.

Those who work in WWE with knowledge of the deal were certain they wouldn’t turn it down, and outright told me that they would be debuting at the Rumble, and had a Rumble-to-Mania significant storyline. When they made the decision to go to AEW, they remarked that it was mind-boggling that they would ever get an offer at that level, and even more that they were turning it down. But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Other stuff Dave said about the Elite:
    Very serious negotiations with 2 major cable networks for a weekly live 2 hour primetime show (it's up to the station what day it'd be on, right now Tuesday Night Dynamite despite being trademarked looks unlikely)
    Jacksonville show with proceeds benefiting gun violence victims will be sometime in the summer. Third show will likely be a PPV in Chicago over Labor Day weekend with the idea being tossed around of it being the anniversary of All In
    They've contacted and are continuing to contact women wrestlers from STARDOM and other Japanese promotions. Unlikely to get Mayu to appear due to the ongoing conflicts with ROH (including her already booked for MSG) putting a snag in any partnership they could make with STARDOM, but they're continuing to scout, and have talked about bringing in Aja Kong

Tony Khan was on Xpac's podcast and didn't deny rumors that they're in talks with Goldberg, but nothing's signed. He was alright doing commentary for MMA with EliteXC, so there's obviously more options for him than just in-ring

Other stuff Dave said about the Elite:
    Very serious negotiations with 2 major cable networks for a weekly live 2 hour primetime show (it's up to the station what day it'd be on, right now Tuesday Night Dynamite despite being trademarked looks unlikely)
    Jacksonville show with proceeds benefiting gun violence victims will be sometime in the summer. Third show will likely be a PPV in Chicago over Labor Day weekend with the idea being tossed around of it being the anniversary of All In
    They've contacted and are continuing to contact women wrestlers from STARDOM and other Japanese promotions. Unlikely to get Mayu to appear due to the ongoing conflicts with ROH (including her already booked for MSG) putting a snag in any partnership they could make with STARDOM, but they're continuing to scout, and have talked about bringing in Aja Kong

Tony Khan was on Xpac's podcast and didn't deny rumors that they're in talks with Goldberg, but nothing's signed. He was alright doing commentary for MMA with EliteXC, so there's obviously more options for him than just in-ring

Omg yes Goldberg in commentary would be awesome he’s fantastic on Knife or Death

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Goldberg?

Commentary?

Fantastic?

Really?

...is there a place I can hear a good sample?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Goldberg?

Commentary?

Fantastic?

Really?

Look for clips of Forged in Fire Knife or Death

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Goldberg?

Commentary?

Fantastic?

Really?

Knife or Death is a semi offshoot of Forged in Fire on History channel. I bet it is on demand if you have cable and/or available somewhere to stream. Bloody is right in that he is good on that, the show is kinda meh as the action and pacing isn't nearly what you would want it to be and he does a good job of selling it. Not sure if it would translate to wrestling commentary, but he has a certain personal charisma about him and the idea of a bad ass as commentator has been gone for long enough that it would probably feel like a fresh take at this point.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he’d have been pushed as one of its top stars.

The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I’ve never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren’t happy with their push.

Of course, WWE was fully aware of the Khan deal as this was going down, which was one of the reasons they went so hard in locking up talent of late. The great offer with the six-month window was with knowledge that Khan was not doing the promotion without The Bucks & Cody and signing them would keep them from being opposition. Without them, Khan wouldn’t have the star power and stars of All In, meaning he’d likely not have the openings to everything from television to top talent that was necessary.

Those who work in WWE with knowledge of the deal were certain they wouldn’t turn it down, and outright told me that they would be debuting at the Rumble, and had a Rumble-to-Mania significant storyline. When they made the decision to go to AEW, they remarked that it was mind-boggling that they would ever get an offer at that level, and even more that they were turning it down. But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.

Damn what did they offer Cody if the Bucks were offered AJ Styles money and a huge Wrestlemania push?

never die wrote: »

Damn what did they offer Cody if the Bucks were offered AJ Styles money and a huge Wrestlemania push?

I guess at a minimum they made a lot of promises that getting buried would never happen again. I mean he wasn't making bad money by his own estimation when he left, so I would think his pitch more focused on creative. I could see them offering him an immediate spot on Smackdown, current Cody fits very well with the title picture there. Hell if they had landed them all I don't see how they don't start immediately at Cody, AJ, Omega and Balor in some sort of connected story/ leadership struggle.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

I have a feeling that Vince won't feel the sting of that barb at all.

In fact, he'd probably be proud of it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wait, so HBO was doing a Sopranos thing, which is a mobster thing, and responded to a request for a gimmick of handing out Sopranos nicknames by....handing out a Sopranos nickname thing.

Wow, such burn. Huge heat.

/s

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That entire thing was an exchange between social media interns, so I’m not sure how much of a shit anyone with any authority gives about it.

Yay.

The Rock came out against "generation snowflake" and how they're ruining things.

I always gotten the feeling he's more conservative than he lets on through his carefully managed PR persona (one of the many reasons I hate "The Rock for President!" thing) but still disappointing.

Rock has been a true conservative for a long time, and he now rich, surrounded by yes men, and in his mid 40's. I have zero doubt that he has some resentful views towards young people with opinions that conflict with his. I am sure from how he talks he is on the more palatable side of the conservatism in some ways, but I am equally sure his real views on things like gender and sexuality are likely super terrible. I have a lot of friends and family like him...its hard to full on hate them because they have many redeeming qualities, but I view them with extreme caution and know that my love for them as much greater than their for me, because if I was my real self around them they would disown me at a minimum.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

the problem (see: CM Punk) is that if the company, through whatever means they determine, doesn't agree that you have whatever issue yoyu say you have, well, they're not gonna want to cover that obviously.

sorry if this was already said.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Yay.

The Rock came out against "generation snowflake" and how they're ruining things.

I always gotten the feeling he's more conservative than he lets on through his carefully managed PR persona (one of the many reasons I hate "The Rock for President!" thing) but still disappointing.

There's very few people who don't begin to reflect on 'kids these days' as they get older. I don't know that you can really extend this as far as we might want to... 'snowflake' means a lot more to some of us than to others, ie I don't really think you can take it as an 'anti sjw' and in the same way you might when you hear it from someone of the age group, or someone aiming to use it in a political sense.

I hope I'm making sense

anyway, the worst possible interpretation could be accurate, and I already agreed that wanting the rock for president is as ridiculous as the current situation would seem to invite, but I guess I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I probably shouldn't.

Variable wrote: »
    Yay.

There's very few people who don't begin to reflect on 'kids these days' as they get older. I don't know that you can really extend this as far as we might want to... 'snowflake' means a lot more to some of us than to others, ie I don't really think you can take it as an 'anti sjw' and in the same way you might when you hear it from someone of the age group, or someone aiming to use it in a political sense.

I hope I'm making sense

anyway, the worst possible interpretation could be accurate, and I already agreed that wanting the rock for president is as ridiculous as the current situation would seem to invite, but I guess I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I probably shouldn't.

It is a fair assessment in a bubble, but I have heard enough right leaning snippets from him to get a pretty good picture of where he stands. I am far from saying he is full on zealot far right or anything, but there is definitely at least a little campfire to accompany the smoke. I have zero issue with people having right leaning views, heck on many issues I am further right than most in this forum, but stuff like this combined with some of his other interviews and the fact he still to this day leans super heavy into homophobic and transphobic humor when playing the Rock character tell me a lot about who we are dealing with.

At least we'll always have Kevin Nash being awesome out there.

Hawkstone wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Yay.

I hope I'm making sense

It is a fair assessment in a bubble, but I have heard enough right leaning snippets from him to get a pretty good picture of where he stands. I am far from saying he is full on zealot far right or anything, but there is definitely at least a little campfire to accompany the smoke. I have zero issue with people having right leaning views, heck on many issues I am further right than most in this forum, but stuff like this combined with some of his other interviews and the fact he still to this day leans super heavy into homophobic and transphobic humor when playing the Rock character tell me a lot about who we are dealing with.

His go-to joke over his full body of work is that if you're not as buff and tuff as him you're probably either gay or a 40-year-old virgin, so, yeah. At first you can chalk that shit up to playing a character, but at some point, it isn't.

At least we'll always have Kevin Nash being awesome out there.

Dave Batista is also legit awesome...as far as I can tell.

I probably give him the benefit of the doubt over and over which leads to forgetting the mounting evidence. I remove that benefit for this most recent thing 🙁

Thanks for reminding me though. For real.

This discussion has been closed.