As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Baby dragon for red and and a mismash of all the other cute creatures for black.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Baby dragon for red and and a mismash of all the other cute creatures for black.

A cute goat for black.

you could sacrifice it for mana that, if used to summon a creature, gives a +1/+1 counter?

EDIT: Red could be a cute baby boar.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Red already exists and it's adorable

Raptor_Hatchling.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    That dog card is too cute, I'll never be able to sac it. Such a good boy.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    This time, the code from the prerelease will give you a free Traditional (Bo3) Draft. Not a free Sealed event.

Also, "PlayAllegiance" will give you 3 free packs. Codes redeemable as early as Jan 17th.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Also, "PlayAllegiance" will give you 3 free packs. Codes redeemable as early as Jan 17th.
    Nice! More packs more packs more packs.

They really are too generous / something's gotta give.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This time, the code from the prerelease will give you a free Traditional (Bo3) Draft. Not a free Sealed event.

Wonder why they keep trying to scale things back all the time. Are they not making any money or what?

Hmm...

Applied-Biomancy-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler.png

That actually seems pretty good along with some of the low to the ground cards that want counters like biomancer.

furbat on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Wonder why they keep trying to scale things back all the time. Are they not making any money or what?
    They're too generous. You've said as much numerous times.

I'll be getting over 100 packs for Allegiance. I did spend a decent chunk before, fully admit that, but now unless I stop playing for a long time, I'm set to never spend money again and get over 100 packs each expansion. That doesn't count the 3 a week.

I am very curious how the game is doing in terms of players and income.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Sweeeet. Still hoping I can get one of those spare draft codes from someone as I am unable to go to a prerelease or buy gems at the moment. I'll have earned enough via the draft to do at least one draft or maybe a sealed so we'll see.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Hmm...

Applied-Biomancy-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler.png

That actually seems pretty good along with some of the low to the ground cards that want counters like biomancer.

2 mana is pretty standard for a bounce. this comes is an added bonus.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'd rather have blink of an eye but it's OK in limited. If it put a counter on it'd actually be exciting

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    MILL COUNTERSPELL! edit: AND MILL WALL! MILLLLLLL

en_ayjKICWS7F.pngen_NEEi0t4TFz.png

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Vanilla creatures are sometimes worth it for the flavor text alone

d8bm1sgeet921.png

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Oh snap, I misread that as putting a counter on. Lol yeah. It's a bad card.

• Options
    Eh, it's a combat trick and tempo in one. I don't think it's a good card by any means, but especially with a lot of mana-intensive counter placement in the format bounces look a bit better, so ir's an adequate Card 22 or 23

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Oh snap, I misread that as putting a counter on. Lol yeah. It's a bad card.

So did I. Probably a few other people will too.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    They're too generous. You've said as much numerous times.

I'll be getting over 100 packs for Allegiance. I did spend a decent chunk before, fully admit that, but now unless I stop playing for a long time, I'm set to never spend money again and get over 100 packs each expansion. That doesn't count the 3 a week.

I am very curious how the game is doing in terms of players and income.

Yeah, I'll have 50k+ gold saved up for the expansion.

I think they created a situation where they wanted to keep the prices similar to paper cards, not allow trading, and make the game accessible to most players. But given how expensive it would be to buy packs and use wildcards to put together decks without trading, the only way to do all those things is to give a ton away for free. And now there is a new problem, it's too expensive to do anything with cash in this game and the game still has a generous f2p system.

In hearthstone I would spend about $100 each expansion and that let me play everything and it'd take 4-5 months to earn that many cards in F2P. In this game, I don't want to spend any money because opening $100 in packs might let me build 1 deck, because I can open 15 packs and get another 30 packs worth of cards a a week for free (and it still takes months of grinding to make that into anything).

I would have to spend easily another $400 to match the cards/packs I've earned for free and that's still not enough to put me in a position to freely play random stuff. I'm still scraping together barebones meta decks and missing rare lands and tech cards for the few I have.

furbat on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Applied Biomancy is very much the new Artful Takedown, with the goal of winning marginal combat scenarios and gaining tempo rather than preventing combat and removing a creature or winning much more lopsided combat scenarios and..pre-emptively tapping a blocker. It'll be fine in limited. You'll want probably up to a pair, but likely not as many as you can grab like Takedown.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    milski wrote: »
    Vanilla creatures are sometimes worth it for the flavor text alone

d8bm1sgeet921.png

Batman went down to the sewer once, and Croc threw a rock at him.

... it was a big rock.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    So I've been playing a full week now. I used my meager hoardings to improve the Merfolk deck and I have pretty good match ups with a lot of archetypes in the Constructed Event.

My foils seem to be Green/Black (Golgari?), but if I am mindful that they tend to have a lot of removal, and play with that in mind -- not being to committed to any one particular card to give me the win, and trying to keep my options open -- I have fun games vs them and never tend to tilt.

But dang, late at night there's a lot of tri-color decks using Nexus of Fate, with a lot of board removal -- if I play around Settle the Wreckage, 4 mana, 2 White open, then they have Cleansing Nova the next turn, or soon after.

I think it's just a bad match up for a 100% creature deck. And I had the bad luck of finding it 8 out of 14 games I tried.

I don't think I can make adjustments to my Merfolk deck to deal with them, but I guess since I'm just starting out I have what I have, and it's nice to have fun vs pretty much anyone else.

I think I'd like my next deck to have more options besides just agro. Maybe Blue/Red? But I need to save up (Mythic)Rare Wild Cards again.

I did get a playable set of the Rare Green/Blue Wildlands but I don't know if there's another archetype that's U/G.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    i find playing against the nexus of fate deck very unfun. But, I'm sure the people playing it are having a lot of fun. I think I would in their shoes.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Cauld wrote: »
    i find playing against the nexus of fate deck very unfun. But, I'm sure the people playing it are having a lot of fun. I think I would in their shoes.

I played against a Nexus deck the either day with my mono blue mill and it was pretty fun. I had drowned secrets down, a bunch of blue illusion birdies, and a bunch of counters plus unwind (which counters and untaps some of your lands). They had one card left in their deck which was Nexus of fate and like 7 cards in hand (with a bounced teferi and nezahal of all things) plus the legendary land that gives you a copy of a instant or sorcery. They had like 5 turns in a row and did nothing while I had a bunch of counters. It was pretty tense, but my opponent was pretty cool in deciding to concede and not rope me to infinity.

Armoroc on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    First off, the ladder is awful. I avoid it at all costs. CE is a lot more fun and the games are tend to be fast paced. Ladder tends to be turbo fog, jeskai, or esper also running nexus with RDW and grixis on occasion. I'd be surprised if less than 70% of decks in diamond are running teferi.

A new expansion drops next week, merfolk will probably be in a better place. I don't know if merfolk will be good or not though. You are getting shock lands, and the new merfolk is going to be bonkers in a merfolk deck.

Benthic-Biomancer-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler-216x302.png

You are going to be able to draw all the cards. All of them. (and then discard them)

furbat on
  • Options
    First off, the ladder is awful. I avoid it at all costs. CE is a lot more fun and the games are tend to be fast paced. Ladder tends to be turbo fog, jeskai, or esper also running nexus with RDW and grixis on occasion. I'd be surprised if less than 70% of decks in diamond are running teferi.

This has not been my experience at all! I'm up to platinum and mostly see other white weenie decks and jeskai. Turbofog is exceedingly rare from my perspective. Just gotta keep grindin' it!

• Options
    edited January 2019

A new expansion drops next week, merfolk will probably be in a better place. I don't know if merfolk will be good or not though. You are getting shock lands, and the new merfolk is going to be bonkers in a merfolk deck.

Benthic-Biomancer-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler-216x302.png

You are going to be able to draw all the cards. All of them. (and then discard them)

Well. One of them anyway. Ignore me, I kinda forgot that Merfolk and their +1/+1 counters are kind of a "thing" in Ixalan

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Spear-Spewer-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler-216x302.png

Spectacle just got easier to trigger.

furbat on
  • Options
    Spear-Spewer-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler-216x302.png

Spectacle just got easier to trigger.

I dunno if that'll see much play. Defender and a 0/2 makes it sorta worthless in the aggroy burn decks that want spectacle I'd think?

• Options
    I'd compare it to Goblin Fireslinger, which was good at enabling bloodthirst. It's more or less an unblockable creature.

• Options
    And that one didn't even hurt you too!

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/benthic-biomancer-2019-01-08

The reveal for benthic biomancer from WotC has an article and deck for merfolk in it. There is also this merflok. It's a bit slow at 4 CMC but it draws you a card.

en_c13XxEU8aS.png

You can make some really stupidly big merfolk. And the card above then gives them all trample.

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    And that one didn't even hurt you too!
    Ah! I thought it was each opponent. That changes things.

*staples RTFC to forehead*

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/benthic-biomancer-2019-01-08

The reveal for benthic biomancer from WotC has an article and deck for merfolk in it. There is also this merflok. It's a bit slow at 4 CMC but it draws you a card.

en_c13XxEU8aS.png

You can make some really stupidly big merfolk. And the card above then gives them all trample.

and if beating people to death with giant fishpeople isn't doing it for you, you can win by simply having enough giant fish people

en_QLYBncqSaI.png

the ooze stuff and the crablizardshark cards are fun, but the new simic cards really made me shudder to think of the nasty merfolk decks you can build now

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    You can practice Allegiance drafts now!

https://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Draft_RNA

• Options
    edited January 2019
    This deck, lands cut out, is very silly.

NockOU0.jpg?1

Rakdos was super wide open, and also getting to draft four of the goblin token generating spell seems hilarious. I didn't bother sorting it out, but I'd be playing way more two drops and way less not-goblin-generating 3 drops if I had.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    8bbab274-69dd-44a9-9310-a15779c35cad.jpg?1547225759

Oh shit, elf ball... rhythm of battle.. lol

furbat on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular

en_c13XxEU8aS.png

and if beating people to death with giant fishpeople isn't doing it for you, you can win by simply having enough giant fish people

en_QLYBncqSaI.png

the ooze stuff and the crablizardshark cards are fun, but the new simic cards really made me shudder to think of the nasty merfolk decks you can build now

Oh, I definitely already use a lot of +1/+1 Counters (4x Deep Root Elites, 4x Jade Bearers, and the Mythic Boss man who's name escapes me) in my existing Merfolk Deck, so I am appreciating the chance to add in those Benthic Biomancers.

I do think everyone's experience is pretty individual. furbat mentioned he never sees turbofog in Constructed Events, but I get it matched up against me seemingly every third or fourth time, once three times in a row on a new card.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Been playing since Weatherlight, figured I'd finally get around to playing Arena. Boy there sure are a lot of Ajani Pridemate decks running around. Feels like the era of Perilous Myr on Origins all over again.

Anyway, threw together a U/G deck that hyper accelerates into a huge creature as soon as possible and its been getting results.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I was already kind of interested in trying out Orzhov and Gruul, but yesterday's Pre-Pre-Release made Rakdos seem pretty interesting as well. And I normally really only care about BR if they're Innistrad vampires.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Limited may be interesting. Prepre is a very small sample, but it looked like aggro is going to be very strong.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I love when i turn mediocre starts into victories.

I also love when i win in a clever way. This time, i won by getting the opponent's Rite of Belzenlock demon to deal 6 damage to their own face.... Whew!

Taking a month break was a good move i think. i am no longer salty and easily angered by the game.