As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Maybe those bone spurs will prevent him from finishing the term

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Could Army Corps of Engineer Officers refuse the order to build if they consider a declaration of a national emergency in this case to be an illegal act?
    If they were given the job, shit would snowball so fast.
    The wall/fence hasn't been designed, contractors have just built a couple of poorly-thought through prototypes. Any professional engineer would balk at what's already been done and emphasise just how much work would need to be done before anything got built. Costs would skyrocket, no matter how Trump tried to hide it.

The entire concept probably wouldn't survive professional engineers being involved with it.
    I mean they’d bid it as a design build,

But think of the protests. Every construction company that could bond it would bid on the wall, and all of the losers would protest. It would be a FAR shit show of epic proportions.

After like a month of the bid process and Trump going "where's my wall" he pulls the project and goes no-bid to someone he or kushner knows or owes money to

Right, it's hardly like this admin has given a shit about the proper procedures and channels now, if he authorizes via "emergency" (whatever the fuck that means) he'll just no bid it straight to his equivalent of halliburton. They can also stomp over environmental impact reports, eminent domain, whatever at that point.

Unfortunately for them they can't stomp over the physical realities of building a wall and the time, effort and material that will take.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Do we have any engineers that could weigh in the logistics of actually building this thing in terms of time, resources, or even manpower? What would this even look like?

Well first we'd have to know exactly what he wants as a wall. But like the Republicans ACA "replacement" there's no actual detail, because then there'd be something to argue about. Recall the meeting with Democrats a few days back where they had to wait 45 minutes to get started because the Republicans didn't have anything prepared to actually justify their request for 5.7 billion

Some posters previously have done some rough math about a 2000 mile concrete wall at such and such height, but that doesn't take into account the variety of terrain, soil types, etc along TWO THOUSAND FUCKING MILES OF BORDER, the logisitics of of processing and delivering concrete to these remote locations, etc etc.

If this was a serious proposal the last two years would have been spent putting this type of information together, but A: that would require work and B: it would come out to fuckoff cost and take fucklong time, and then it would be that much harder to justify. Which is why it's still just an idea, like the ACA replacement. He's shutting down the government over a racist campaign slogan. There's nothing there.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Do we have any engineers that could weigh in the logistics of actually building this thing in terms of time, resources, or even manpower? What would this even look like?

The most I've found on it is this twitter thread from a court-accepted expert on walls.
    She's not complimentary about the endeavour.

Well shit, this is an incredibly good point:

Not that I needed much convincing the wall is stupid but that feels really obvious when I think about it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I find it hard to re-watch Pacific Rim and not think that it's a dig at Trump's wall.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

The most I've found on it is this twitter thread from a court-accepted expert on walls.

Not that I needed much convincing the wall is stupid but that feels really obvious when I think about it.

I think this is already a thing. Like, there's a video of a guy skiing while carried by a drone, and it does in fact just pick him up.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think this is already a thing. Like, there's a video of a guy skiing while carried by a drone, and it does in fact just pick him up.

I think the limited factor there is "inexpensive" but yeah.

Of course, this cheap drone will still be a big capital chunk so it will mostly work for coyotes and drug smugglers while all the wall will keep out would be the destitute and desperate.

So probably still mission accomplished for Trump.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

Ways to defeat/overcome the wall are actually pretty far down on the list of reasons why its stupid.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Ways to defeat/overcome the wall are actually pretty far down on the list of reasons why its stupid.

If it is just a bunch of unpatrolled wall you just blast a hole in a portion of it, bingo bango no more wall problem tonight.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If any part of this wall actually gets constructed, count me in as part of the volunteer group to go tear it down during the next administration.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

They already have "jet bikes" that are basically a motorcycle with four quad copter type engines. The controller tech to sync the four props is easy tech now so just get 4 strong enough electric motors with propellers and some kind of thing you can sit on in the middle and away you go. I imagine in the next decade well tested models of that are common but you could jury rig it right now that would likely work well enough to hop up and over a wall. Although really given the "steel slats" a saw from home depo seems the better answer. Just cut a hole big enough let your group through and then spot weld it back in place so at a glance people don't even notice anything is wrong.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    If the dumb wall is what finally gets us rapid development in consumer-level flying cars...

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    If the dumb wall is what finally gets us rapid development in consumer-level flying cars...

Ok, wait, let him speak.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

That sombody was Casey Neistat. Yea, these drones already exist
    https://youtu.be/At3xcj-pTjg

halkun on
  • Options
    So how long is it till the feds miss another pay check?

I know this past tuesday stopped them from getting checks this upcoming tuesday. That would mean this needs to go another eleven days till they missed another check right?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The how to beat it isn't complicated or expensive. The principal philosophy driving creation of the wall is open racism and othering. I'd rather not stoop to debating the inefficiency of a wall with someone when they start quoting Trump's made up bullshit.

I get that the ease of bypassing it is meme'y and a totally valid criticism but "don't be a wasteful dystopian racist dictator who's afraid of the brown people" should be a pretty easy sell.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So how long is it till the feds miss another pay check?

I know this past tuesday stopped them from getting checks this upcoming tuesday. That would mean this needs to go another eleven days till they missed another check right?

They get paied every two weeks

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The prospect of Trump diverting funds from, say, the CoE's projects to fix and improve Houston's reservoirs is outright terrifying. And the fact that my senators are complicit in this damage to our state, in addition to supporting essentially ceding control of an important resource (Rio Grande) to Mexico by building a wall is just mind boggling to me.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    he also made it clear the muslim ban was a muslim ban but that got ruled constitutional, so I wouldn't place any faith in the courts
    I understand people are cynical in these times but you're reaching relatively far back into his administration to find a point to go "but the courts don't work." Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and just because they don't doesn't mean they never ever will. How about we see where the legal challenges go instead of make assumptions? I mean all that aside, this is all temporary because the next president is likely to not do this bullshit. :P

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The naked hypocrisy of Republicans who claimed Obama was guilty of executive overreach and are now telling Trump to literally steal money from the government to further his own private, autocratic agenda which doesn’t have the votes in Congress is making me absolutely furious

I didn’t think it was still possible, but here we are

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Could Army Corps of Engineer Officers refuse the order to build if they consider a declaration of a national emergency in this case to be an illegal act?
    If they were given the job, shit would snowball so fast.
    The wall/fence hasn't been designed, contractors have just built a couple of poorly-thought through prototypes. Any professional engineer would balk at what's already been done and emphasise just how much work would need to be done before anything got built. Costs would skyrocket, no matter how Trump tried to hide it.

The entire concept probably wouldn't survive professional engineers being involved with it.
    I mean they’d bid it as a design build,

But think of the protests. Every construction company that could bond it would bid on the wall, and all of the losers would protest. It would be a FAR shit show of epic proportions.

After like a month of the bid process and Trump going "where's my wall" he pulls the project and goes no-bid to someone he or kushner knows or owes money to
    And there are protests and those will be upheld until trump orders GAO to let it go then the protests will go to the courts with injunctions, and the no bid company will not have a way to get paid during the process, and it will be a whole shitshow.

L3 held up a defense contract for 8 months until they were hit with sanctions on another contract so they agreed to drop the protest in exchange for not receiving a T4D.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    The only bright side to the distopian Trump, is that Trump is really old. 72, he’ll be 74 by the next election. Actuary tables are favorable, and Pence is so unpopular as to be ridiculous.

It's not Trump breaking all the norms that's scary in the long run, it's what future presidents will want to do with the pieces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The next President will be Democrat (unless Trump resigns like Nixon.) The next President after that will be Republican. Who knows what sort of fascist he will be?

• Options
    The next President will be Democrat (unless Trump resigns like Nixon.) The next President after that will be Republican. Who knows what sort of fascist he will be?

This seems optimistic...

... which totally sucks.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    If they miss their first paycheck today people are going to be really pissed once they realize their usual Christmas overspending is going to become late or default payments. I’m not sure the average worker has thought about this yet.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    If they miss their first paycheck today people are going to be really pissed once they realize their usual Christmas overspending is going to become late or default payments. I’m not sure the average worker has thought about this yet.

I assure you they have

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Senate via unanimous voice vote approves backpay for all Federal Employees including those furloughed

Trump has agreed to sign this, it should just fly through the House.

It is a weird interesting mixed signal. It means folks will get paid when the government is reopened. And usually occurs towards the end/after the end of a shutdown.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I assure you they have
    Average worker. Not people here. The average American economically doesn’t think super far into the future. Unless you have some articles covering people’s thoughts re: my point.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I thought that was something that happened anyway. Is that really something that wouldn't have happened anyway?

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I thought that was something that happened anyway. Is that really something that wouldn't have happened anyway?

Essential personnel aka the people working without pay are guaranteed pay. Those furloughed are not because they are not working.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I assure you they have
    Average worker. Not people here. The average American economically doesn’t think super far into the future. Unless you have some articles covering people’s thoughts re: my point.

people who live paycheck to paycheck are always thinking about their next paycheck. I guess I don't really have an article to link, but I do have 20 years of thinking about my next paycheck as anecdote =/

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Senate via unanimous voice vote approves backpay for all Federal Employees including those furloughed

It is a weird interesting mixed signal. It means folks will get paid when the government is reopened. And usually occurs towards the end/after the end of a shutdown.

Bear in mind that Trump is completely blind to political norms so his behaviour here probably shouldn't be taken as an intentional signal of anything.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

If they're passing this, why the fuck won't they just open the government back up?!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Some people *will* lose TS clearance over this shit down, just you wait.

Edit: oh screw it, I'm not even fixing the phone typo

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Essential personnel aka the people working without pay are guaranteed pay. Those furloughed are not because they are not working.

... and it's always happened in the past, but, as current events tell us, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

If they're passing this, why the fuck won't they just open the government back up?!

because they're bastards

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Stop talking about hypothetical next Presidents.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Because trump is still being cry baby pee pants over how the dems won't let him have his wall.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... and it's always happened in the past, but, as current events tell us, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

No it is by law that those working are paid for their work.

Please don't act as if this is a norm. Legal rules on this stuff is different.

Furloughed workers by law are not required to be paid. The link I posted has that the Senate has passed legislation to pay them.

Contractors payments are up to their company.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's really looking like the GOP line is "This is a Crisis and we need to give the POTUS emergency powers immediately!" More people are coming out of the woodwork saying it's the only way to get around the Democrats.

Lindsey Graham is a US Senator, and also a real piece of shit.
    This is beginning to remind my of the Star Wars prequels, and not in a good way.

Don't rewatch Babylon 5 anytime soon.

The jaw dropping thing about our darkest timeline compared to the various fascist dystopian setups out there (B5, SW:1-3, 1984) is just how half-assedly this lurch towards full on dictatorship is.
    1984 and the Prequels had large wars that existed as actual real threats to the political entities. Trump just makes up random word salad about furriners driving fast cars in caravans towards the border in order to get their murder on.
    B5 and the Prequels had the bad guys spend years building political support for when they eventually play the Martial Law/State of Emergency card. Trump gets asked if he's going to do it, tweets threats for a week, and suddenly has enablers telling him it's the only solution.
    1984 famously had the Ministry of Truth, an organization of thousands of people dedicated to rewriting history on a daily basis in order to ensure that Big Brother is never wrong. Trump just makes shit up and nobody cares. And it's not even gaslighting, which is a peeve of mine since that term comes from a play where there's a minimum number of characters and independent verification of the lighting levels is impossible. This is just Trump lying (bullshitting, technically) and nobody caring because they'd rather believe Trump than disbelieve the lies.

I, and imagine most of us on the forum, probably thought that the US was relatively protected from becoming a dictatorship because doing so would be difficult. You'd need the armed forces, you'd need a large amount of popular support, you'd need to do some hard work to pull it off. The reality I'm seeing right now is that it's actually really easy to go full-dictator. You just do it and see if anyone steps up to stop you. The right-wing won't, because they support the general policy goals and the mushy middle mostly just can't believe what they're seeing.

The fragility of democracy is depressing to behold.

This hasn't been quick. The delegitimationof the democratic party has been going on for decades and decades. It was the entirety of the GOP playbook during the Obama years and is basically the cornerstone of right-wing media and has been since the 80s at least. And if you wanna actually follow the through-line here to it's roots in the delegitimation of minority political power, this is a movement literally centuries in the making. Trump is simply the current culmination of a long standing movement in american politics. He stepped in to a ready-made movement as one of it's members.

What we are seeing is that previously no one was willing to just go for it. It started with McConnell and his ilk, who realised it was a potent political strategy. And it has reached it's current peak with Trump mostly because he's fucking oblivious to everything but the demands of his own ego.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Feel like this is a signal they want to keep the government shutdown "but please keep working for us we promise you'll get paid"

This discussion has been closed.