As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Also even though it launches a day or two earlier in Japan the secret movie unlocks at the same time worldwide

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Yea this is smart.

Although somehow there are still people out there complaining about this because, I dunno, gamers are the worst as usual I guess?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Yea this is smart.

Although somehow there are still people out there complaining about this because, I dunno, gamers are the worst as usual I guess?

I could see this sucking for someone without an internet connection. But that's definitely not the majority of the people complaining about this.

It's also gonna suck long-term when people want to go back to the game long after the file servers are down. But that'll be a while. And also by then it'll be on Youtube if you wanna watch it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I've never genuinely gotten the secret ending in one of these games, I think

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I did it for KH1, KH2 and DDD. In hindsight, doing it in normal mode was really grindy. IIRC you just need to beat it in proud mode most of the time right? I think I might do that this time around. Normal mode is usually pretty easy.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »

The one in KH1 wasn't that bad to get on Normal. Working on KH2.

Last time I lost my save the only thing I had left to do was finish the last cup.

Although I'll say I looked up the KH2 Final Mix requirements and while it's nice that you get the original secret movie for free, the newer one they added requires maxing out the Gummi shit and fuck all of that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    It's still kinda weird that they're using the same menu system from way back in 2002, it makes it more or less impossible to use any magic except the 4 you put on shortcuts

they should have a radial menu you can pull up or something for magic

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Unpopular opinion they should get rid of the menu entirely and turn KH into a full character action game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    SimBen wrote: »

The one in KH1 wasn't that bad to get on Normal. Working on KH2.

Last time I lost my save the only thing I had left to do was finish the last cup.

Although I'll say I looked up the KH2 Final Mix requirements and while it's nice that you get the original secret movie for free, the newer one they added requires maxing out the Gummi shit and fuck all of that.

You don't need to do the gummi missions if you beat the game on proud.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I did it for KH1, KH2 and DDD. In hindsight, doing it in normal mode was really grindy. IIRC you just need to beat it in proud mode most of the time right? I think I might do that this time around. Normal mode is usually pretty easy.

I might play this one on proud but even if I do I'll still do all that grindy shit because I love all that grindy shit in these games for some reason. I just want to do absolutely every possible thing before I finally put them away.
    Unpopular opinion they should get rid of the menu entirely and turn KH into a full character action game.

*hissssssssssssssss*

No! Stay away from this beautiful monstrosity. Let it be what it is. I would be so afraid this would make it lose some of the specific charm that makes it feel so unique from other games.

I'd also be afraid that by losing the menu they would try to simplify too many things to make up for the lack button combinations and that for sure would lose some of the charm.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Does anyone remember there being some kind of exploit in Pride Rock for something

I remember doing a lot of grinding there as a kid for some reason but I don't remember why

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    Does anyone remember there being some kind of exploit in Pride Rock for something

I remember doing a lot of grinding there as a kid for some reason but I don't remember why

Because lion-Sora is broken af?

Edit: The pride rock leveling trick doesn't exist in Final Mix. There used to be a bunch more heartless that would spawn a particular area but they don't anymore.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Sanctuary

There was some sort of XP trick there but it was removed in the final mix or the PS4 version. I don't know which removed it but it's definitely patched in the PS4 version at the least.

• Options
    Sanctuary

There was some sort of XP trick there but it was removed in the final mix or the PS4 version. I don't know which removed it but it's definitely patched in the PS4 version at the least.

that must be it then, because I played the original PS2 release

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Yeah in vanilla KH2 you could just go to the top of Pride Rock and spam Magnet to infinitely destroy the Heartless that would continually spawn there. It was the fastest way to endgame level up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Kingdom Hearts Revengeance

Rules of Darknesssss

• Options
    Sanctuary
    the whole "Riku turning into Ansem" thing is pretty silly, but I guess they did backfill into it being a core premise of the story, so I guess it works?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    the whole "Riku turning into Ansem" thing is pretty silly, but I guess they did backfill into it being a core premise of the story, so I guess it works?

It was dumb AF.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll get more about that whole thing in 3.

Riku is a real interesting case because he freed himself from Xehanort's control and also actually learned to control the power of darkness, where as Xehanort says he did but really he's just as corrupted as anyone else.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    turtleant wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll get more about that whole thing in 3.

Riku is a real interesting case because he freed himself from Xehanort's control and also actually learned to control the power of darkness, where as Xehanort says he did but really he's just as corrupted as anyone else.

He also has the most bitchin' of keyblades.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Thinking about it more:

He has actually managed inadvertently to do exactly what Xehanort has been trying to do for ages. He has mastered light and dark in equal measure and holds them in balance. That's kinda a big deal.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Thinking about it more:

He has actually managed inadvertently to do exactly what Xehanort has been trying to do for ages. He has mastered light and dark in equal measure and holds them in balance. That's kinda a big deal.
    Yeah. You get a tiny bit of that in DDD's ending, with young Nort saying they can't use him now and also trying to throw shade at Riku. Be nice if they showed that being like the one thing that gets under Nort's skin a bit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    LD50 wrote: »
    Thinking about it more:

Yeah. You get a tiny bit of that in DDD's ending, with young Nort saying they can't use him now and also trying to throw shade at Riku. Be nice if they showed that being like the one thing that gets under Nort's skin a bit.
    I think they were unable to use him as soon as he decided he didn't want to be used anymore.

It's been a long time since I played CoM, but IIRC Mickey implied Riku was the strongest keyblade wielder after mastering both light and dark.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Simple & Clean

They already have the nonsense story of a Platinum Games title, they might as well have the action of one.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    tbh Xehanort has a pretty cool Keyblade too!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

They already have the nonsense story of a Platinum Games title, they might as well have the action of one.

Let’s be real here: Bayonetta manages to be way more confusing about time travel than KH could hope to be.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

Let’s be real here: Bayonetta manages to be way more confusing about time travel than KH could hope to be.

The difference is that Bayonetta actively taunts you and dares you to care about its plot while giving absolutely no shit about holding your hand through it

while Kingdom Hearts desperately wants you to get invested in it

sig.gif
  • Options
    I didn't think Bayonetta's plot was that confusing. Especially with the context 2 provides.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

The difference is that Bayonetta actively taunts you and dares you to care about its plot while giving absolutely no shit about holding your hand through it

while Kingdom Hearts desperately wants you to get invested in it

Well I was certainly more invested in KH plot than I was in Bayonetta's so I'd say it worked.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Kingdom Hearts plot was relatively straightforward until DDD, and the entirety of DDD was a glorified excuse to reset the chess board for KH3.

Xehanort bad, Organization bad, Sora good, Sora starts over. Timey wimey business, but the crux of it is to reset for 3.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    well...if you think about it at least KH2 and KH3 "explain" why you're back to level 1. I mean Sora got to DBZ levels of power slicing buildings during that Xemnas Boss Fight.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to stream 3 because why not but I don't have a capture set up so it will just be me yelling profanity into my PS4 headset while the console casts it. I can think of nothing more fitting

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Kingdom Hearts plot was relatively straightforward until DDD, and the entirety of DDD was a glorified excuse to reset the chess board for KH3.

Xehanort bad, Organization bad, Sora good, Sora starts over. Timey wimey business, but the crux of it is to reset for 3.

I mean CoM served the same purpose between 1 and 2.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    god I am such a sucker for "villain and hero briefly ally while talking shit to each other the entire time" and the Maleficent stuff in World That Never Was gets you that but good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    god I am such a sucker for "villain and hero briefly ally while talking shit to each other the entire time" and the Maleficent stuff in World That Never Was gets you that but good

DDD spoilers
    I admit I squealed when Axel returned.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    I also deeply love that after coming up with 12 unique weird weapons, for the final boss they just went "fuck it this guy's got lightsabers"

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    My favorite part is that they don't have hilts

It's like the equal and opposite idea of giving General Grevious four arms to make it cooler

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I didn't think Bayonetta's plot was that confusing. Especially with the context 2 provides.

That said, I’m still not sure how Rosa’s death went down, or if it got altered by the time travel.

And the pre-prologue bit in 2 doesn’t seem to fit anywhere.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    is Sora's keyblade stance based on any actual combat form?

It seems like it would be extremely bad for his back and knees

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    is Sora's keyblade stance based on any actual combat form?

It seems like it would be extremely bad for his back and knees

I dunno but I imagine those feet of his really limit his stance options.