As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Sky Tether seems like a pretty solid limited semi-sorta removal card.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/ravnica-allegiance-mythic-edition-2019-01-10

Another Mythic Edition (with improved [?] distribution via Hasbro's ebay store) - walkers are Kaya, Domri, Jaya, Sorin (Markov), Ajani (Mentor), Dack Fayden, Karn (4), and Tamiyo (original). All the new art is pretty cool, though my favorite is Kaya.

en_YGOkqlWMXW.png

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm actually wondering if Sky Tether is standard playable in the right control shell.

ehu6afh3eo921.jpg

Like, it's not hard removal, but it does stop aggressive creatures that just beat face without static abilities for only one mana; the ability to play this on T3 and still hold up a Quench has to count for something. I don't think it's amazing or anything, but I think it's worth keeping in the back of your head if the meta is a lot of face aggro and you're teching against it as control.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The price is right, and it can shut down some things better than more conventional removal (like both Phoenixes)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Excuse me but I believe the plural of phoenixes is Phoenicians.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's pretty strong against fast aggro decks and the Phoenixes so it probably deserves at least sideboard consideration.

• Options
    To give my counterpoint to it, I suppose:

With Riot in the format, there are likely to be a lot more hasty beaters. While W to stop damage from coming in is good value, it can't hold back chip damage or cancel opponent's outs like instant speed removal, and there's not much vigilance in the format to blank Seal Away, which is probably the closest comparison to this card. It'll be most valuable against a more midrange variation on aggro that isn't running many riot creatures, but it's unclear what deck might actually play that way; maybe Simic Monsters or Orzhov will, but Gruul and Temur will be able to swing in for explosive damage, mono-red will still be hasty, and Rakdos is likely to turn into some sort of pure burn monstrosity.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I'm very good at this. Hire me, Wizards

1SKnWVc.png

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    "Comes into play" is deprecated wording.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I only started playing magic after thanksgiving, man

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I believe someone here is a fan of mill?

636827241256738346.jpg

Hmm, this is giving me a weird idea for my Ravnica cube. What if cards with the "any number of copies" rule came with the stipulation that picking them gives you a pile (8 or 12?) rather than just the one copy.

There probably aren't enough interesting cards with this rule to make the exception worth the bother though. Relentless Rats decks are totally boring, though the apostle that summons demons seems kinda cool.

Maybe a more interesting take on this idea would be to make some synergy enabling common cards come in multiples of two when you pick them. It could make for some more interesting picks, where you might consider taking two Whispering Agents or Darkblade Agents over a single more powerful card if your deck happens to be built around surveil synergy.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Excuse me but I believe the plural of phoenixes is Phoenicians.

Already been some good sphinges revealed for my Unesh deck.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    What if cards with the "any number of copies" rule came with the stipulation that picking them gives you a pile (8 or 12?) rather than just the one copy.

There probably aren't enough interesting cards with this rule to make the exception worth the bother though. Relentless Rats decks are totally boring, though the apostle that summons demons seems kinda cool.

You just named two of the other three cards with that line of text (and the third is Rat Colony) so yeah.

• Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I believe someone here is a fan of mill?

636827241256738346.jpg

Hmm, this is giving me a weird idea for my Ravnica cube. What if cards with the "any number of copies" rule came with the stipulation that picking them gives you a pile (8 or 12?) rather than just the one copy.

Maybe a more interesting take on this idea would be to make some synergy enabling common cards come in multiples of two when you pick them. It could make for some more interesting picks, where you might consider taking two Whispering Agents or Darkblade Agents over a single more powerful card if your deck happens to be built around surveil synergy.

I like this idea for other commons that require multiples. There are lots of creatures like Screaming Seahawk (where you can search your deck for another copy each time you play one) and the ripple mechanic on cards like Surging Flame (where you reveal the top 4 cards and can play copies for free) that become very interesting if you draft them in multiples of 2 or 4.

If it gets out of hand you can include more cards like Echoing Truth (bounces all cards with the same name) or Cranial Extraction (exile cards with the same name from all zones).

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah in my cube if you take the Squadron Hawk or Accumulated Knowledge you get 3 copies of each. None of the others are good enough/interesting enough or are too stupid, like Surging Dementia.

• Options
    Kindle would probably work too

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i need help tracking down a card based on a vague flavor description i half-remember.

It was a sky cavalry creature, probably white.

The flavor text was about how the soldier's life was saved, either metaphorically or literally by their mount, whom they had raised since hatching.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Full spoiler is up and already we got some primo flavor text

en_ucjtrcMoSz.png

Ooh, summary judgment is a very nice card as well. 1W instant for 3 damage to tapped creature, addendum to deal 5 instead.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    i need help tracking down a card based on a vague flavor description i half-remember.

The flavor text was about how the soldier's life was saved, either metaphorically or literally by their mount, whom they had raised since hatching.

Thanks in advance.

10.jpg?151781303145.jpg?151781303197.jpg?1529061829
    ?

• Options
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Thanks in advance.
    10.jpg?151781303145.jpg?151781303197.jpg?1529061829
    ?

None of those. Maybe it's from soemthing else?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    That's a good pupper.

That card's mediocre.

There's no way anyone could ever bring themselves to sacrifice it, so it's a 1/3 with Defender for W.

Still a good boy.

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

en_ucjtrcMoSz.png

Ooh, summary judgment is a very nice card as well. 1W instant for 3 damage to tapped creature, addendum to deal 5 instead.

"Guardian Project"? Hmmm...

• Options
    Lazav has some badass quotes in this set for a guy whose guild doesn't get any cards.
    en_ayjKICWS7F.pngen_jYMLJ9MwR6.pngen_libKkpPEko.png

• Options
    Who? I don't know what you're talking about

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Ilpala wrote: »

en_ucjtrcMoSz.png

"Guardian Project"? Hmmm...

Oh. Right, that green commander enchantment. (This one.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Also:

d8bm1sgeet921.png

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    en_NEEi0t4TFz.png
    + Persistent Petitoners+Though Collapse

There's definitely a draft mill deck you can make, but will a standard mill deck work? I am excited to find out.

Something like

22x Lands
    4x Drowned Secrets
    2x Psychic Corrosion
    4x Teferi (Maybe swap one out for a Patient Rebuilding?)
    16x Persistent Petitioners (Plus or minus some for more removal/counters? Want them for good blockers and the mill threat.)
    4x Settle the Wreckage
    4x Thought Collapse
    4x Ixalan's Binding

Perhaps?

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    if you're milling with the enchantment plan you really need to be playing like, 4x Chemister's Insight

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Do not play any 2 drop permanents besides persistent petitioners if that's your game plan. While they might both mill, they are actively anti-synergistic with each other. Any situation in which you draw that wall, you would either rather draw another petitioners or are already winning with 4 petitioners and would rather draw protection.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Playing Persistent Petitioners and mill enchantments is like playing a rat deck that's also Zombie Tribal. Technically they're both a flood of disposable aggro but practically both halves aren't mixing well. It's steak and ice cream deck building

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Do not play any 2 drop permanents besides persistent petitioners if that's your game plan. While they might both mill, they are actively anti-synergistic with each other. Any situation in which you draw that wall, you would either rather draw another petitioners or are already winning with 4 petitioners and would rather draw protection.

The wall would be solid in a mill draft deck

For a standard deck I wouldn't use the wall. I still think the enchants are solid. If you rely on just the petitioners you're more vulnerable to board wipes, losing them to block, etc. With the enchants+teferi you have other win cons and things they have to deal with too.

Either way I'm excited to test this stuff out, should be fun. And I've got plenty of common/uncommon wildcards to craft most of this!

• Options
    Every deck can deal with 1/3 creatures, though. The only reason they are a threat is that they can be very fast and extremely consistent. Giving up the consistency means you may as well stick purely to enchantment mill, since you tap out far less and your wincons are far harder to deal with.

Running 16 petitioners, you're going to have tons of games where you have 2-3 in your hand, or where you can assemble four but then can't actually afford to chump the biggest creature and play another one without losing your wincon. That's just as unwinnable a situation as getting wiped with 4 petitioners on board, which is why you don't dilute all-in decks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Growth Chamber Guardian and Incubation Druid are intriguing to me. Maybe something with tokens and the druid could work well. Stony Strength + Druid and try to get a fast Carnage Tyrant out. Idk what payoff would be the best...

Tumin on
  • Options
    Stony Strength is too marginal a card to be worth running for the occasional explosive start, and if you're gonna christmasland that's a T3 Carnage Tyrant, not nullhide (T2 druid, T3 tap druid, stony, tap 3 lands and druid for Carny T).

I think Stony might go in the hilarious but inconsistent Marwyn elfball decks, but I doubt it sees serious play.

My thought for the Druid is that you go for some sort of Temur monsters ramp deck. 4 elves, 2 Incubation Druids, maybe a couple New Horizons, and then figure out how to make it work from there, with Hydroid Krasis to stabilize and Domri Rade/the Gruul riot enchantment as ways to make your other threats explosive. The issue is that deck gets real shaky in the low drop slots at that point, and seems likely to fold to aggro if they bolt your birds. Potentially there's just a Jund package with the druids replacing the Druid of the Cowls golgari decks sometimes run and mostly foregoing any counter placement synergy

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The deck I saw that did interest me, which admittedly may be more of a Bo3, was taking Golgari, cutting 2 WG walkers and the Seeker's Squires, and running 4 Growth Chamber Guardians. You trade away the mostly solved WG walker package for a 2-drop that can let you represent a decently hard to kill threat and recur cards better against control, while being an adequate blocker against aggro and just big enough to actually apply pressure through the endless branchwalker and midnight reaper hordes in the mirror. This gets really bad if instant speed removal is prevalent in the format, especially in control decks, but even then buffing on their end step gives them a tough choice between killing it or holding up countermagic.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I'm excited to play Growth Spiral and maybe RUG scapeshift

• Options
    milski wrote: »

So instead, you're thinking something more like

22x Lands

4x Teferi (Maybe swap one out for a Patient Rebuilding? Or turn them into petitioners?)
    18x Persistent Petitioners (Plus or minus some for more removal/counters? Want them for good blockers and the mill threat.)

4x Settle the Wreckage/More counterspells?
    4x Sinister Sabotage
    4x Thought Collapse
    4x Ixalan's Binding/Blink of an eye?

Just brainstorming here

• Options
    Teferi seems expensive and kind of off-plan but i could be wrong

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    The momo-blue Tezeret may work better instead. He offers additional blockers and/or card draw. He's not as powerful as Teferi, but if the goal is mill, then you'd want to keep it mono-blue to take full advantage of the enchantments.

This discussion has been closed.