As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's really looking like the GOP line is "This is a Crisis and we need to give the POTUS emergency powers immediately!" More people are coming out of the woodwork saying it's the only way to get around the Democrats.

Lindsey Graham is a US Senator, and also a real piece of shit.
    This is beginning to remind my of the Star Wars prequels, and not in a good way.

Don't rewatch Babylon 5 anytime soon.

The jaw dropping thing about our darkest timeline compared to the various fascist dystopian setups out there (B5, SW:1-3, 1984) is just how half-assedly this lurch towards full on dictatorship is.
    1984 and the Prequels had large wars that existed as actual real threats to the political entities. Trump just makes up random word salad about furriners driving fast cars in caravans towards the border in order to get their murder on.
    B5 and the Prequels had the bad guys spend years building political support for when they eventually play the Martial Law/State of Emergency card. Trump gets asked if he's going to do it, tweets threats for a week, and suddenly has enablers telling him it's the only solution.
    1984 famously had the Ministry of Truth, an organization of thousands of people dedicated to rewriting history on a daily basis in order to ensure that Big Brother is never wrong. Trump just makes shit up and nobody cares. And it's not even gaslighting, which is a peeve of mine since that term comes from a play where there's a minimum number of characters and independent verification of the lighting levels is impossible. This is just Trump lying (bullshitting, technically) and nobody caring because they'd rather believe Trump than disbelieve the lies.

I, and imagine most of us on the forum, probably thought that the US was relatively protected from becoming a dictatorship because doing so would be difficult. You'd need the armed forces, you'd need a large amount of popular support, you'd need to do some hard work to pull it off. The reality I'm seeing right now is that it's actually really easy to go full-dictator. You just do it and see if anyone steps up to stop you. The right-wing won't, because they support the general policy goals and the mushy middle mostly just can't believe what they're seeing.

The fragility of democracy is depressing to behold.

This hasn't been quick. The delegitimationof the democratic party has been going on for decades and decades. It was the entirety of the GOP playbook during the Obama years and is basically the cornerstone of right-wing media and has been since the 80s at least. And if you wanna actually follow the through-line here to it's roots in the delegitimation of minority political power, this is a movement literally centuries in the making. Trump is simply the current culmination of a long standing movement in american politics. He stepped in to a ready-made movement as one of it's members.

What we are seeing is that previously no one was willing to just go for it. It started with McConnell and his ilk, who realised it was a potent political strategy. And it has reached it's current peak with Trump mostly because he's fucking oblivious to everything but the demands of his own ego.

There is a direct line between the Nixon resignation and where we stand now.

There is a less direct, but still there, line between the election of 1877 and where we are now.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    For the record I wasn't attempting to deflect from the out as out racism the wall represents. Just as someone with no background in construction or engineering I had no idea.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Senate via unanimous voice vote approves backpay for all Federal Employees including those furloughed

Trump has agreed to sign this, it should just fly through the House.

It is a weird interesting mixed signal. It means folks will get paid when the government is reopened. And usually occurs towards the end/after the end of a shutdown.

Feel like this is a signal they want to keep the government shutdown "but please keep working for us we promise you'll get paid"
    If anything it's a sign of weakness because now they're trying to buy time. Almost literally in fact.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    It's really looking like the GOP line is "This is a Crisis and we need to give the POTUS emergency powers immediately!" More people are coming out of the woodwork saying it's the only way to get around the Democrats.

This is beginning to remind my of the Star Wars prequels, and not in a good way.

The jaw dropping thing about our darkest timeline compared to the various fascist dystopian setups out there (B5, SW:1-3, 1984) is just how half-assedly this lurch towards full on dictatorship is.
    1984 and the Prequels had large wars that existed as actual real threats to the political entities. Trump just makes up random word salad about furriners driving fast cars in caravans towards the border in order to get their murder on.
    -Wage stagnation and globalization have "left people behind" giving you a real threat to people on the ground level
    B5 and the Prequels had the bad guys spend years building political support for when they eventually play the Martial Law/State of Emergency card. Trump gets asked if he's going to do it, tweets threats for a week, and suddenly has enablers telling him it's the only solution.
    The Republican party has been working towards this since the 70s, being the party that sticks together no matter what

1984 famously had the Ministry of Truth, an organization of thousands of people dedicated to rewriting history on a daily basis in order to ensure that Big Brother is never wrong. Trump just makes shit up and nobody cares. And it's not even gaslighting, which is a peeve of mine since that term comes from a play where there's a minimum number of characters and independent verification of the lighting levels is impossible. This is just Trump lying (bullshitting, technically) and nobody caring because they'd rather believe Trump than disbelieve the lies.
    Fox News

I, and imagine most of us on the forum, probably thought that the US was relatively protected from becoming a dictatorship because doing so would be difficult. You'd need the armed forces, you'd need a large amount of popular support, you'd need to do some hard work to pull it off. The reality I'm seeing right now is that it's actually really easy to go full-dictator. You just do it and see if anyone steps up to stop you. The right-wing won't, because they support the general policy goals and the mushy middle mostly just can't believe what they're seeing.

The pieces are there, the song is the same even if it's in a different key. The machinations of thousands of people over decades have lead us to this point.

Support for Trump correlates with racism and sexism FAR more strongly then with feelings of economic insecurity. The emergency is not economic anxiety. The emergency is the potential that white men might no longer have complete political, cultural and economic dominance.

shryke wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

-Wage stagnation and globalization have "left people behind" giving you a real threat to people on the ground level
    The Republican party has been working towards this since the 70s, being the party that sticks together no matter what

Fox News

The pieces are there, the song is the same even if it's in a different key. The machinations of thousands of people over decades have lead us to this point.

Support for Trump correlates with racism and sexism FAR more strongly then with feelings of economic insecurity. The emergency is not economic anxiety. The emergency is the potential that white men might no longer have complete political, cultural and economic dominance.

Yes, that's pretty much the only thing people mean when they say economic insecurity, otherwise millennial would own the shit out of that term.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Senate via unanimous voice vote approves backpay for all Federal Employees including those furloughed

It is a weird interesting mixed signal. It means folks will get paid when the government is reopened. And usually occurs towards the end/after the end of a shutdown.
    If they're passing this, why the fuck won't they just open the government back up?!

because they're bastards

Because they’ll nibble around every edge of openly breaking with Trump and being seen as traitors to the party and the base, but they’ll never actually take the bite out of that shit sandwich and do the right thing.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Trump claiming he never said Mexico would pay for the wall is even brazen for his own level of lying.

WaPo counts 212 times of him saying that during the campaign alone.

https://washingtonpost.com/politics/the-story-keeps-changing-trump-falsely-asserts-he-never-promised-mexico-would-directly-pay-for-the-border-wall/2019/01/10/92ffee8e-14f5-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5c4e67f02aab

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

If they're passing this, why the fuck won't they just open the government back up?!

because they're bastards

Because they’ll nibble around every edge of openly breaking with Trump and being seen as traitors to the party and the base, but they’ll never actually take the bite out of that shit sandwich and do the right thing.

It's so stupid. I'm pretty sure at this point they could break from Trump and just message the truth. He's a moron. He can't do anything right. He can't read. He can't govern. etc etc. And I'm pretty sure the minute the gloves come off and the talking points are set, Trump's just another out of touch new york billionaire that shits on a golden toilet. His entire base is trolls and russian bots, they'll dump him in a heartbeat.

Dark_Side wrote: »

because they're bastards

It's so stupid. I'm pretty sure at this point they could break from Trump and just message the truth. He's a moron. He can't do anything right. He can't read. He can't govern. etc etc. And I'm pretty sure the minute the gloves come off and the talking points are set, Trump's just another out of touch new york billionaire that shits on a golden toilet. His entire base is trolls and russian bots, they'll dump him in a heartbeat.

The biggest problem with all of it is they will have learned nothing in the process.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

because they're bastards

They’ll dump him and turn on the shutdown when Fox tells them to. It’s political anethema for them until then.

because they're bastards

They are caught between two unresolvable forces based around their ability to get reelected. On one side, they need Trump to continue to support them and not turn on them. On the other hand they need to not fuck over so many people that they depress their general election voter base. They are trying desperately to go with both forces and mostly just hanging on desperately praying some solution materializes so they don't have to choose between the two.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Fox News is poison. It's a corrupted vitriol spewing partisan mechanism that actively harms everyone. I don't particularly like network or cable news but I don't feel attacked by anyone else.

I'm at such a loss as to how Fox got to start directly influencing policy. I get how on practical sort of level but I can't appropriately store it as a fact in my brain.

That the GOP actually uses a cable network to float lies as truth 24 hours a day in an effort to subvert government is just gross. That it's taken hold with people I used to consider of at least average intelligence feels like defeat.

I need a whole lot of rage from Democratic leaders right now and acknowledgement from other networks that Fox isn't fucking news.

Are there any press conferences scheduled for Democrats in the House or Senate to respond to Trump and his Sundowner madlibs?

Edit: The moderate right is on board with a bunch of shit that you would NEVER hear outside of fundamental militia crazies just 5 years ago. How did it go so to shit so quickly?

..that's rhetorical, we all know how. That it's so open and out there now makes me want to smash things.

You may balk at using games to describe this kind of phenomena, but I understood the problem best through MGS2.

SNIP
    Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
    Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.
    Oh goddamit. Has 2018-19 just proven that MGS2 is actually the best MGS, because that just might be the straw I cannot bear...

The future is retroactively destroying my adolescence.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh hey this thread is almost exactly a month old, just a couple hours away.

According to CNN as of today this is a tie for longest shutdown - 21 days, last occurred in December 1995 going into January 1996. Though Wikipedia I think listed it as longer?

Henroid on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    TLS certificates have expired for 80 government websites, and because of the shutdown there's nobody around to renew them. I don't have a full list but NASA, the DOJ, and Court of Appeals are part of what's affected.

Edit - This means the sites are down, btw.
    Edit Edit - Some of those sites are still up but as far as submitting anything to them (login, forms, etc) goes it's a bad idea because there's no security and that stuff can be intercepted. According to the nerds I know who are experts on this stuff.

That's not strictly true. It can reasonably be assumed that the prior certificates were valid, meaning the security layers are still in place. I understand why modern browsers go into hysterics when a certificate isn't valid, but there's a lot of ground between "this site has a bad cert and that means your information is unprotected" and "this site's security can't be validated because you're not allowed to buy certs in perpetuity".

I wouldn't have a problem clicking through the warnings and submitting forms, but I can understand why most people would.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I think it is in fact tied today for the longest shutdown.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

According to CNN as of today this is a tie for longest shutdown - 21 days, last occurred in December 1995 going into January 1996. Though Wikipedia I think listed it as longer?

There was a 5 day shutdown almost immediately prior. So it was effectively a 26 day shutdown with a week or work in between, but technically 21 days.

moniker wrote: »

There was a 5 day shutdown almost immediately prior. So it was effectively a 26 day shutdown with a week or work in between, but technically 21 days.

A shutdown that, like this one, was also partly over Gingrich throwing a tantrum because he felt he got snubbed on his trip on Air Force One.

The GOP has been this bad for a LONG LONG time.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

because they're bastards

No, his base are the people entrenched in white supremacy to the point that they would rather suffer and keep that societal position than benefit as an equal. The GOP goes against him, he takes those people with him,and breaks the party's back. And given how things are, such a break would mean the end of the GOP as we know it. That's why they're unified - it's a twisted version of "we must hang together, or we will assuredly hang separately."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-rejects-shutdown-deal-republicans-negotiated-republicans

Republicans once again cannot find their asses with both hands and a flashlight.

Psn:wazukki
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-rejects-shutdown-deal-republicans-negotiated-republicans

Republicans once again cannot find their asses with both hands and a flashlight.

I'm okay with their own incompetence being their biggest obstacle. I don't want them to be capable or good at their job right now. They might be able to pull something out of the jaws of defeat.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.

So uh, to provide a brief explanation, apparently Graham negotiated a deal with... Republicans, brought it to Trump, and Trump rejected it. Which is silly because obviously Democrats control the House so why would you leave them out of any negotiation?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

The Emergency Declaration idea is in his head now. Trump would much rather just do whatever he wants than compromise.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

So uh, to provide a brief explanation, apparently Graham negotiated a deal with... Republicans, brought it to Trump, and Trump rejected it. Which is silly because obviously Democrats control the House so why would you leave them out of any negotiation?

Graham believes this shutdown works like previous ones where the GOP gets to dictate what happens, so far he's wrong and I hope he continues to be wrong even when dumb shit stunts like this don't even fly with his own side.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Taramoor wrote: »

The Emergency Declaration idea is in his head now. Trump would much rather just do whatever he wants than compromise.

Yeah, I don't see any other way this ends now other then Trump pulling this shit or the GOP somehow, someway turning on him in the Senate and just passing the House's government funding bills. The only solution Trump will agree with is the emergency deceleration because someone put the idea into his head and now he sees a way out of this that doesn't attack his own ego. And that is the only criteria that matters to him. So either Trump goes for it or the GOP turns on him and overrides him.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh cool, people continue to do horrible things to our national parks while no one is watching them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/11/travesty-this-nation-people-are-destroying-joshua-trees-joshua-tree-national-park/?utm_term=.de04e8c4c40f
    ‘A travesty to this nation’: People are destroying Joshua trees in Joshua Tree National Park
    Joshua Tree National Park Superintendent David Smith told National Parks Traveler that visitors have been illegally off-roading, cutting down trees and spray painting rocks, among other infractions.
    On Thursday, a massive juniper tree near one of the park’s campsites caught his attention. People had climbed up into its branches and broken them off for firewood, Abbott said.

“I camped in that campsite two years ago,” he[Rand Abbott - park visitor] said. “This thing was huge. We used to get shade underneath it and it’s gone. I started crying, because what did that tree do?”

I'm going to take a wild guess that Trump will give 0 shits about this sort of stuff.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Graham believes this shutdown works like previous ones where the GOP gets to dictate what happens, so far he's wrong and I hope he continues to be wrong even when dumb shit stunts like this don't even fly with his own side.

Shutdowns haven't really worked out that way recently.

They cannot come to an agreement internally on what they want, they are incapable of governing, and should dissolve as a party. They cannot form an internal coalition to do basic things like pass a budget. They are a party in name and "owning libs" only.

Psn:wazukki
    Oh cool, people continue to do horrible things to our national parks while no one is watching them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/11/travesty-this-nation-people-are-destroying-joshua-trees-joshua-tree-national-park/?utm_term=.de04e8c4c40f
    ‘A travesty to this nation’: People are destroying Joshua trees in Joshua Tree National Park
    Joshua Tree National Park Superintendent David Smith told National Parks Traveler that visitors have been illegally off-roading, cutting down trees and spray painting rocks, among other infractions.
    On Thursday, a massive juniper tree near one of the park’s campsites caught his attention. People had climbed up into its branches and broken them off for firewood, Abbott said.

“I camped in that campsite two years ago,” he[Rand Abbott - park visitor] said. “This thing was huge. We used to get shade underneath it and it’s gone. I started crying, because what did that tree do?”

The public is terrible and lett ing them into national parks is a delicate balance between that fact and letting people enjoy the wilderness.

Preacher wrote: »

Shutdowns haven't really worked out that way recently.

They cannot come to an agreement internally on what they want, they are incapable of governing, and should dissolve as a party. They cannot form an internal coalition to do basic things like pass a budget. They are a party in name and "owning libs" only.

They have a fairly clear consensus agenda. It's just one the politicians trying to get elected don't agree with because those outside the core base hate it and that is antithetical to actual governance.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the courts potentially fucking up Trump's plan is what is keeping him at bay for the moment. Crossing that line and winding up with nothing to show for it might be worse that just capitulating.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

The question is “why would you bring it to Trump?”

If you negotiate republican to republican then the outcome should be a veto-proof bill.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »

The question is “why would you bring it to Trump?”

If you negotiate republican to republican then the outcome should be a veto-proof bill.

They don't care about veto-proof, they care about not getting on Trump's bad side.

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    According to CNN the House passed the bill guaranteeing back pay and it's on its way to Trump.

They said the vote was 411-7, but gave no names -- anyone know where to find the vote tally? I assume it's the Freedom Caucus, but I want to know who's in favor of shutting down the government for political BS and really screwing federal employees just for funsies.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the courts potentially fucking up Trump's plan is what is keeping him at bay for the moment. Crossing that line and winding up with nothing to show for it might be worse that just capitulating.

Its not the courts keeping him back. He has floated the idea of emergency powers, so he is waiting for enough people to tell him to go for it and then he does it.

By the time the courts get a say he has moved on to the next shiny thing and forgot about it.

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I'm sad that this shutdown has gone on so long that this thread was able to reach 100 pages :( .

sig.gif
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I'm going to take a wild guess that Trump will give 0 shits about this sort of stuff.

Can't have Joshua Tree Park without Joshua Trees, better sell it to an oil company.

Viskod on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Ugh the fact this is going to need a new thread is disappointing.

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Its not the courts keeping him back. He has floated the idea of emergency powers, so he is waiting for enough people to tell him to go for it and then he does it.

By the time the courts get a say he has moved on to the next shiny thing and forgot about it.

We all agree he has the attention span of a hummingbird, but, given that his one goal here is "not looking foolish" I do believe he has the capacity to understand how foolish he would look with headlines reading:

Monday: TRUMP ORDERS WALL THROUGH EMERGENCY POWERS, ENDS SHUTDOWN
    Tuesday: TRUMP'S ORDER HALTED BY COURT

Taximes on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Can't have Joshua Tree Park without Joshua Trees, better sell it to an oil company.

Oh, speaking of which... apparently one part of government not shut down are the hearings to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/684346455/efforts-to-expand-drilling-in-artic-interior-press-ahead-during-shutdown

Like.. no one was answering calls about when the hearings were being held, but they tried to hold them anyways and press forward under the cover of the shutdown.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    According to CNN the House passed the bill guaranteeing back pay and it's on its way to Trump.

They said the vote was 411-7, but gave no names -- anyone know where to find the vote tally? I assume it's the Freedom Caucus, but I want to know who's in favor of shutting down the government for political BS and really screwing federal employees just for funsies.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll028.xml

The House puts their stuff up decently fast. You can see the votes here.

Also you can see the latest appropriations bill they passed here with 10 Republicans voting Yay.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll027.xml

u7stthr17eud.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

Oh, speaking of which... apparently one part of government not shut down are the hearings to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/684346455/efforts-to-expand-drilling-in-artic-interior-press-ahead-during-shutdown

Like.. no one was answering calls about when the hearings were being held, but they tried to hold them anyways and press forward under the cover of the shutdown.

And they wailed like babies when Obama closed off the parks during a shutdown

hey maybe it was for a reason!

This discussion has been closed.