As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally saw the episode after a week away. I saw the title and figured
    showdown between Good and Bad Janet! Haha!

...and then Bad Janet was pretty much the ONLY Janet that didn't show up. This show, man.

Also, I love how everyone instantly figured out which one Jason was.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Seen elsewhere...

Netflix US is a major media content provider.

And the burn, intentional or not, if forking awesome.

MorganV on
    I was going to post Jameela Jamil's reaction to it (she loved it) but the tweet immediately before it is the 47,981st piece of evidence why she is a goddamn delight:

Shame on this thread for missing this:

NBC did a livestream of Janet in her void. For five hours.

https://youtu.be/o0z-Lf7EkfU

Whatever they're paying D'arcy Carden, it's not enough.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Here's your regular reminder the good place podcast is fantastic and Carden is indeed a delight!

They reveal where "Ya basic!" comes from!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Related story: Tatiana Maslany is a god damn genius/has insane endurance. She did that shit every episode of Orphan Black.

There's probably a bit of a "doing it more makes it easier" thing going on with that, but yeah, it's never easy to act opposite a pole representing yourself.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shame on this thread for missing this:

NBC did a livestream of Janet in her void. For five hours.

https://youtu.be/o0z-Lf7EkfU

Whatever they're paying D'arcy Carden, it's not enough.

I watched a bit and you can tell it was really just a tape put together of D'Arcy doing many different poses. That said, the way she can just exude Janet is amazing. D'Arcy is Janet in a way that most actors wish they could be the character they are portraying. A fair bit of this is from amazing writing, directing, editing (props to the editor that put together that 5 hour Janet-thon), casting, etc, but it's still amazing.

And the really awesome part is that it's this way for every single character/actor on this show.

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    so it turns out the reason that they didn't get into the good place is
    capitalism

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    "What kind of good place would turn down refugees?" - Jason Mendoza

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    "Various Inhumane Crimes against Humans, Cats and One Racehorse"

Whoever that ceo was, he was not a good person at all.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I know time in the Other Places doesn't work on a one-to-one ratio with Earth, but they're dead on Earth, so does that mean that Donkey Doug inherits all of Tahani's money?
    Because that's horrifying, and Janet should get docked millions of points for allowing it to happen (I assume she'd get the blame for killing them).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wrong thread

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I just hope that, going forward, Chidi
    has to wear the mailman outfit for the next ten episodes.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I dont think this is a unique guess, but watching this it hit me how i think this show will end:
    It's a prequel to...real life.

I think this is all "before" in a Jeremy Bearimy kinda way.

Eventually they will realize that it's so messed up, and you can't just like, go into Hell and start pulling people out - they already are in hell and are gonna remember the centuries of torture - so they're going to do a massive, all-time reset.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    We're still so far from any planned end I doubt this'll even be relevant by then, but:
    I wonder if they'll be able to convince the people responsible for the points system to go to Earth.
    Whereupon they'll be instantly dinged for creating a point system that condemns billions to hell.

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Here's what I'm expecting will happen, though I've expected the show to end up here for a while and it hasn't happened yet so what do I know (spoilers for most recent episode):
    There is overwhelming evidence that humans can become good people after death.

Since the Bad Place people aren't trustworthy, and the Good Place people can't accomplish anything, Judge Gen will set up a "purgatory" neighborhood that the Soul Squad will manage, working to make newly deceased humans better people, so everyone can have a chance to improve themselves and get into the Good Place.

Piotyr wrote: »
    Here's what I'm expecting will happen, though I've expected the show to end up here for a while and it hasn't happened yet so what do I know (spoilers for most recent episode):

Since the Bad Place people aren't trustworthy, and the Good Place people can't accomplish anything, Judge Gen will set up a "purgatory" neighborhood that the Soul Squad will manage, working to make newly deceased humans better people, so everyone can have a chance to improve themselves and get into the Good Place.

I think the real problem is
    The afterlife is literally black and white morality. The demons, neutrals , and angels are literally unable to act outside of their molds unless they are forced to by outside circumstance. A team of humans would adjust the system to account for new data over time but the demons don't care ,the neutrals can't notice and the Angels would but can't because of their bureaucracy.

• RamiRami Registered User regular

The afterlife is literally black and white morality. The demons, neutrals , and angels are literally unable to act outside of their molds unless they are forced to by outside circumstance. A team of humans would adjust the system to account for new data over time but the demons don't care ,the neutrals can't notice and the Angels would but can't because of their bureaucracy.

That isn't right though
    Micheal is a demon and now acts complete counter to his duty, so they probably could change under the right circumstances

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

That isn't right though
    Micheal is a demon and now acts complete counter to his duty, so they probably could change under the right circumstances

Unless he's just aberrant somehow. But then Janet is a Good Janet who does not seem at all bound by Good Place strictures, though that could be due to her being stolen and repurposed by a Bad Place demon...

Prediction-wise:
    My bet is this season ends with Michael being put in charge of either the Medium Place or some Other Place for the purpose of rehabilitating human souls into the Good Place. I feel like there could be a lot of comedy traction in a season of Michael and the Gang trying to work with the nicest available demons and the worst available angels to staff a Medium neighborhood. But then the way this show moves that could be one episode and then they're on to something else.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I don't think I really agree with Michael's analysis.
    It would be one thing if he compared someone who ordered flowers over the phone in the 1970s to someone who ordered flowers over the phone today, and he could have made the same point by arguing that things got so much worse in just the past 50 years. But he's effectively comparing two completely different actions that require completely different amounts of effort.

I don't think I really agree with Michael's analysis.
    It would be one thing if he compared someone who ordered flowers over the phone in the 1970s to someone who ordered flowers over the phone today, and he could have made the same point by arguing that things got so much worse in just the past 50 years. But he's effectively comparing two completely different actions that require completely different amounts of effort.

It's not the effort that matters.
    The action of 'give someone flowers' (or however it was phrased) was worth the same number of points in the point display. The problem was that back in the day, you got points for giving the flowers and then lost points for a couple of other things. In the modern day you lose tons and tons of points due to the interconnected nature of modern life.

If you were to pick wild roses and give them to someone it would be worth the same "gave someone flowers" point score and worth (presumably) far fewer negative points because there's no involvement of Big Flora. Going out of your way to not generate the negative unintended consequences doesn't actually give you points for the greater effort, you just don't lose the points from the side effect stuff like 'letting someone profit from a sweatshop'.

But in one situation, you're doing something yourself.

In the other situation, you're asking someone else to do the thing for you.

There's nothing stopping you from the first action in the modern day.

Well no even if you did that like with Doug apparently there are still unintended deductions. Like say serving piss water or aiding a teen sociopath

Well no even if you did that like with Doug apparently there are still unintended deductions. Like say serving piss water or aiding a teen sociopath

Yeah, but that's not the example that Michael decided to go with.

The example he decided to go with was a bad example of what he was attempting to prove.

The point-giving step is the same, though.
    If you go buy roses and give them to someone yourself you wouldn't get the negative points for using a cell phone or whatever negative points come out of the flowers being delivered (carbon impact of the driver's car or whatever). You'd still lose piles of points for all of the consequences of buying the flowers from a florist. The final point total would be less negative but going from +145 to -whatever the total was is a sufficiently large swing that cutting out one or two negative side effects isn't going to bring it back up to positive numbers.

In the 1400's if you bought something then you were almost certainly either buying it from the person who grew/harvested/collected it, a person who made it out of processed raw materials, a trader who imported it from one of those two, or, at the most removed, a local seller who bought it from the importer.

Without going to a farmers' market or a craft fair it's fairly difficult to buy anything in the modern world that hasn't gone through half a dozen changes of hands. Where each of those people in the 1400's was either an individual operator or, at most, part of a small company, buying eggs at a grocery story today, even if they went farm -> shipping company -> grocery store -> you, is going to touch on the welfare and income of probably thousands of individuals.

It would have been nearly impossible for someone living in England in the 15th Century to have any impact on the life of anyone living in China. Now it takes a significant effort and avoidance of cultural norms to not actively make the lives of Chinese people worse for the average English person.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That's pretty much the point they're trying to make.
    As the world gets more meshed together and people do dumb/evil things to try and improve their lot or live whatever life they want to live, a lot of seemingly benign or good actions come at the expense of other individuals or the planet collectively, and the points system takes literally everything into account, so even the tiniest acts of consumption fuel machines of awfulness.

Doug Forcett's "sin" is being a push over, which lets other people treat him like garbage, among other possible interconnected offenses. He's an example, but just a link in the chain to point out the larger problem that the points system as it currently stands is overly tuned and keeping 5 centuries of people out of heaven often through no fault of their own other than being born on the wrong stretch of Jeremy Bearimy. (The act of being born involving power consumption, drugs, and causing pain to one's parents, not to mention financial stress. Hell, even a child would already have a substantial point debt based on the system as currently revealed!)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra

If you go buy roses and give them to someone yourself you wouldn't get the negative points for using a cell phone or whatever negative points come out of the flowers being delivered (carbon impact of the driver's car or whatever). You'd still lose piles of points for all of the consequences of buying the flowers from a florist. The final point total would be less negative but going from +145 to -whatever the total was is a sufficiently large swing that cutting out one or two negative side effects isn't going to bring it back up to positive numbers.

In the 1400's if you bought something then you were almost certainly either buying it from the person who grew/harvested/collected it, a person who made it out of processed raw materials, a trader who imported it from one of those two, or, at the most removed, a local seller who bought it from the importer.

Without going to a farmers' market or a craft fair it's fairly difficult to buy anything in the modern world that hasn't gone through half a dozen changes of hands. Where each of those people in the 1400's was either an individual operator or, at most, part of a small company, buying eggs at a grocery story today, even if they went farm -> shipping company -> grocery store -> you, is going to touch on the welfare and income of probably thousands of individuals.

It would have been nearly impossible for someone living in England in the 15th Century to have any impact on the life of anyone living in China. Now it takes a significant effort and avoidance of cultural norms to not actively make the lives of Chinese people worse for the average English person.

They could have made the point with directly equivalent actions.
    "Before you went to the store and purchased X, and that was fine because it was local. Today, you go to the store and puchase X, and it's made by slave labor."

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Its not just a simple issue.

Take Cell Phones we all have one:
    It uses minerals in its manufacturing that is literally mined by slave labor in Central Africa. The Minerals are sent to China, where Sweat shop workers turn it into a phone in a series of 12 hour shifts for next to no money in almost equally horrible conditions. Creating a lot of pollution and toxic waste in the process. That's not even mentioning the plastic.

Afterwards it sent to the US. Where its sold for a huge markup, benefiting a even bigger corporation, that in turn uses the money they make to influence society in ways that are probably to the detriment of individual happiness(opposing job protections, lower corporate taxes and so forth). You probably buy it from some big box store or chain, which hurts local businesses and your local community.

You then have to sign up for a cell provider(do I even need to make an example here?). You also have to charge it up using electricity... which probably makes you responsible in part for all the pollution they spread. You probably use Apps that in turn damage the community. (AirBnb and Uber are especially shitty in that regard, but playing Candy Crush while ignoring somebody that could use your help to for example get on the bus? That is worth negative points).

Face it Cell phones alone are probably a near constant drain of points and they are just laying in our pockets. Extrapolate for all the other shit that we have in our homes....

Then add that the Good Place was for the 1% of good people, 99% where always going to the Bad Place if the pilot was true.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    This does make sense that Chidi was the closest of the four to getting into the Good Place.
    He was the one to agonise over eating something because one tenth of the ingredients were from a country that has a dubious record on human rights, and so on.
    Of course, all his dithering just meant he got plenty of point losses elsewhere, so there really is no way to win.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Eh, I think the argument that we are somehow less moral than our ancestors is a weak one. For example, while I may buy a cellphone which was made in a sweatshop in china, literally EVERYTHING that was built in say the middle ages was done in conditions where they would envy that sweatshop worker.

We think that China has bad labor standards because we HAVE labor standards. Our ancestors were too busy engaging in the Opium Wars, or attending a witch burning to even write labor standards. Maybe Indonesia isn't a great place for the LGBTQ community, but its far better than say, 15th century Germany would have been,

I don't buy it, its a false image of the morality of the past which never existed. Individual humans today are far more moral and caring than people in the past were.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    They arent saying people are worse its that the system is flawed. Its just now we see that it's flawed because its punishing people for actions they might not even be aware of.
    You shouldnt go to hell because you have a cell phone or because you didn't research for for 5 hours about how to buy flowers responsibly

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    You shouldn't go to hell forever if people are redeemable and mostly the product of their environment. I thought that was the direction of the show...
    A show about choices and ethics in adulthood probably shouldn't venture into the weeds that is what happens to an infant who dies, but seems like they go to the Bad Place?

Tumin on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

They could have made the point with directly equivalent actions.
    "Before you went to the store and purchased X, and that was fine because it was local. Today, you go to the store and puchase X, and it's made by slave labor."

I think you're taking this a bit too literally. They were using the example of, "Getting flowers for someone", as a quick shorthand for how complicated modern life has gotten, and the repercussions we don't think about. Yes, maybe they could have fine tuned the analogy a bit, but it works fine for what they're trying to get across. I appreciate your attention to detail, but don't lose the forest for the trees my friend.

TubularLuggage on
    This also means that Chidi was absolutely right, him using almond milk despite it being bad for the environment did help him to end up in the Bad Place.
    I'd be surprised if that doesn't come up again, actually.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    They arent saying people are worse its that the system is flawed. Its just now we see that it's flawed because its punishing people for actions they might not even be aware of.
    You shouldnt go to hell because you have a cell phone or because you didn't research for for 5 hours about how to buy flowers responsibly

This. That's why it was the
    remark about unintended consequences that tipped Michael off. The system never adapted to modern, global living. As life grew more interconnected, even the simplest actions began to have more and more unintended consequences, and as the system is built to account for those unintended consequences, the good actions of an individual were drowned by the myriad of small negatives they caused. And given that those negatives (like asshat CEOs are pretty big negatives), it just becomes impossible for an individual to account for them all in a way that earns them the points they need. Modern interconnect complexity is the problem, not level of societal morality.

Also,
    I laughed out loud at Janet worrying that her emotions might come out of her butt.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    All of my emotions come out of my butt. Especially Loooooooveeeee

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    In the end capitalism is the real bad place

Drez wrote: »
    I hate it when emotions come out of my butt. You wipe and wipe, and there's always a bit of emotion that you can't get rid of.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I hate it when emotions come out of my butt. You wipe and wipe, and there's always a bit of emotion that you can't get rid of.

That’s a movement, not a motion.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Don't be so clingy?

Edit: there's a better version of this pun but im too tired

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Don't be so clingy?

Edit: there's a better version of this pun but im too wiped