As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Episode IX: The Rise of the Speculation

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I recently bought second edition of WEG Star Wars and the rebellion book for nostalgia.

That stuff really, really, holds up in terms of expansive ideas and world building.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I used to love that show, imagine my disappointment when I found out that almost no one liked it in favor of the original(which I'd never seen at the time).

I'm going to assume it doesn't hold up.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Finally going through all of rebels
    A-Wings and their pilots are amazingly bad at staying alive

Bloods End on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Finally going through all of legends.

Sounds about right.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Finally going through all of TIE Fighter

It's a sad, sad tale. Well, not really.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm also finally going through rebels. It's quite good in to midde s3 so far. I'm a big fan of the episodes that show how the rebellion is building literally ship by ship.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    *cups hands like megaphone*

GET OFF THE STAAAAGE

• Options
    https://youtu.be/m7Pls-vYWwM

Everyone's favorite hysterical ginger

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    That certainly looks better than the mediocre crap we got the first half of the season.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Ah, General No-Indoor-Voice. Mussolini without the charm or coherent political positions.

Also a red TIE Interceptor, though I suppose that has already previously appeared in the series.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Yes. That one belongs to a character on the show, who also wears red armor. I don't know his name.

We've also seen gold armor as well as Phasma in her silver armor.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I recently bought second edition of WEG Star Wars and the rebellion book for nostalgia.

That stuff really, really, holds up in terms of expansive ideas and world building.

There are some fasinating-as-hell passages about civil governance in the Empire. I mean, assuming you give a shit about civil governance, colonial systems, political hegemony, etc.

rbjlzoum0w8h.jpg

02xtoftgd0rm.jpg

You can see how this stuff informed some of Zahn's original trilogy, but particularly TIE Fighter, where the military's role in propping up the civil government is really blatantly this, assumed with little or no modification ("Stele! Go take this TIE Fighter and do that!"). The people at LucasArts pretty much copied it wholesale wherever they needed it.

Of course, it's all "obsolete" now--hell, even before Disney the prequel trilogy made numerous details "obsolete", specifically the state of the Republican Army and Navy (for starters, there were no cloned war slaves), the parliamentary procedures used for the Emperor's rise, and the founding of the New Order. Then we have all of the new stuff commissioned by Disney set in a smaller, more tightly-scripted galaxy than this massive one proposed by the sourcebook, so large that a lot of it misses the civil war.

Still, it's a fun read. Assuming you find detailed political theory and practice interesting.

• Options
    Plus, they actually explain what the hell a "Moff" is (aside from a pre-Republican title for a military governor...which is actually kind of cool etymological standpoint) and what they normally do--which is, as it happens, not very much outside of a crisis. As well as how the Empire plays politics via in unusual circumstances, via carrot and (very sharp) stick.

zkkjq6eukgyp.jpg

x7n4bai4qkxq.jpg

2t6excv9np7i.jpg

You can really taste the School of the Americas/Afghan national building.

• Options
    Is that WEG stuff?
    I've started resistance and Kaz so far is kinda charming
    Like if atla main character was Sokka instead of aang. I love low stakes star wars

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Is that WEG stuff?
    I've started resistance and Kaz so far is kinda charming
    Like if atla main character was Sokka instead of aang. I love low stakes star wars

Yea, from the (I want to say) 1994 reprint of the Sourcebook.

EDIT: I'm actually a fan of low stakes Star Wars too, albeit manifested in goofy fanfilms like IMPS: The Relentless.

"Whatever happened to her?"
    "Who?" "
    "That pilot you liked, the one you joined the Stormtrooper Corps for!"
    "Oh, she joined some rebellion somewhere..."

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Yes. That one belongs to a character on the show, who also wears red armor. I don't know his name.

We've also seen gold armor as well as Phasma in her silver armor.

Given that she seems to be in charge and that her armor is blasterproof, I'm thinking Phasma's armor, in the rankings, might be platinum colored, because she clearly outranks the dude in gold.

Anyway, (speculation for Resistance)
    given that I can't imagine they stumbled across a practice recording of the speech, I have to think that the back half of Resistance season 1 takes place over the same timeframe as TFA and maybe even TLJ. Which only seems to confirm theories that there will be a time skip more like the other movies for episode IX.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Silver, platinum, chrome.... whatever. :)

Until they introduced red and gold, Phasma got by on being the "cool shiny one". Now she's not unique anymore.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Until they introduced red and gold, Phasma got by on being the "cool shiny one". Now she's not unique anymore.

She wasn’t that cool anyway.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I love Star Wars EU:

ca94cb3093bec96c4721e835fd17b6198ade2d51r1-1280-720v2_hq.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

She wasn’t that cool anyway.

And she was only shiny in comparison to the regular Storm Troopers.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Low-stakes Star Wars is one reason I liked Solo so much.

• Options
    Dark Forces, the first game, did that pretty well too. I mean, Dark Troopers were a super weapon of sorts, but they were just an advanced combat droid. That by itself didn't have the potential to DOOM the rebellion.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    At least one of those Stormtroopers was in on the hit, and one very much wasn't!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Finally going through all of rebels

Y-Wings get the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmC_Dh7Wpjc

I had totally forgotten a Y-Wing got a terrain kill on a goddamn TIE Defender.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I had totally forgotten that y-wings had gravity bombs

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I finally seen Solo. It was fine.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I had totally forgotten a Y-Wing got a terrain kill on a goddamn TIE Defender.

well it sure wasn't gonna out-dogfight it. ;)

(I kid, I kid)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I'm sad that the x-wings just kind of showed up at some point. They had such cool "building the rebellion by stealing ships subplot going for a little bit there"

• Options
    A Y-Wing that can shoot down a TIE Defender? That kind of ace? They call a Demon Lord.

• Options
    I love Star Wars EU:

ca94cb3093bec96c4721e835fd17b6198ade2d51r1-1280-720v2_hq.jpg

This particular scene would be totally at home in The Last Jedi. "Supreme Leader Snork secretly revealed to be robot all along!"

• Options
    Nah, I'm pretty sure TLJ was the antithesis of absurd convoluted EU level unnecessary backstory for everything.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm pretty sure TLJ was the antithesis of absurd convoluted EU level unnecessary backstory for everything.

Yeah, TLJ dropped Snoke without ever trying to explain anything about him at all.

• Options
    I'm sad that the x-wings just kind of showed up at some point. They had such cool "building the rebellion by stealing ships subplot going for a little bit there"

Well they all died quick.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I'm still salty that they reset the universe for the sequel trilogy, instead of making the trilogy about the difficulties of rebuilding a galactic republic after decades of war.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    I'm still salty that they resolved the galactic civil war 1 year after endor just to reset it with everyone in the same positions 35 years later.

The empire republic war lasting years after endor was one of my favorite parts of the EU. It was so ripe for story telling.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I'm still salty that they reset the universe for the sequel trilogy, instead of making the trilogy about the difficulties of rebuilding a galactic republic after decades of war.

Um, getting the capital blown up by neo-fascists seems to be exactly about “the difficulties of rebuilding a galactic republic after decades of war.”

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

Um, getting the capital blown up by neo-fascists seems to be exactly about “the difficulties of rebuilding a galactic republic after decades of war.”

That completely annihilated the Republic, removing it from the narrative, resetting the universe to the state of "plucky fighters led by Leia and Luke are the last hope for the galaxy."

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options

That completely annihilated the Republic, removing it from the narrative, resetting the universe to the state of "plucky fighters led by Leia and Luke are the last hope for the galaxy."

Yeah. It felt like a attempted reboot but no real leg work was done to earn the set up.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea if we're going to ignore all that interesting potential why not just do the full 100+ year jump to the Legacy of the Force era and get your reset there?

This discussion has been closed.