As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Why the fuck do people hate Blizzard so much now anyway. Like, they announced 1 phone game that they're not even the primary devs on, and cut funding for an esports scene for a game that wasn't popular.

Diablo Immortal, axing HotS out of nowhere, and the current WoW expansion fucking sucks ass.

I feel like the worst they've done is how they handled cancelling the HotS league. There were absolutely people involved who should've been notified about everything, instead of finding out with the rest of the general public. It sets a bad precedent that Blizzard will yank your esports shit without notice.

Immortal looks sweet, I'd pick it up if I didn't have a windows phone (and also if it ended up not being too bad in the annoying microtransaction department). I get the disappointment, but we also know Diablo 4 is coming so maybe the turbo rage isn't all that necessary.

Don't play WoW so I dunno about the expansion, but they definitely didn't axe HotS. There's still a dedicated team working on it, it's only the esports league that they nixed.

They also transfered away most of the HOTS dev team. HOTS is not dead but it's definitely in almost-maintenance mode now.

Elki wrote: »
    I think Bungie is largely responsible for the state of Destiny, and the practical constraints (money and time) on any large scale project are bigger factors than the big bad publisher.

However, I think people kinda miss the mark on the cheering by comparing it to the cheering after Bungie split with Microsoft, with the assumption that the enthusiasm of the developers was misplaced.

Bungie developers were chafing at the creative constraints they felt under Microsoft, and were looking forward to the freedom to do what they wanted. Life as an independent and then with Activision wasn’t all roses, but they went from shipping their 5th Halo game to shipping Destiny, a radically different kind of shooter. The enthusiasm and cheering of the developers after leaving Microsoft was not misplaced.

I hope that, similarly, they get what they wished for this time.

Godspeed, Bungie devs.

I think a big thing is that they no longer have strict deliverables that must be met. They no longer have to deliver X number of things that make money every Y amount of time. That's gotta be hugely creatively freeing. "When it's done" is the philosophy that made Blizzard so good.

Sirialis wrote: »
    I’m not expecting drastic changes at Bungie/Destiny over this, I just see Activision and EA as profit vampires that drains every competent studio for a quick short term profit until all their studios are left as lifeless husks.

So good riddance for them fucking off.

We should remember that when Activision is saying "Destiny is not meeting expectations" that means it isn't meeting the expectations that Activision set for how much profit they wanted from the investment. An amount we don't actually know but considering Bungie's reputation going into the dela and Activisions general money-grubbing ways, I would bet it was ludicrously huge.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "It failed to meet expectations" is what basically every AAA publisher says about all of their major releases these days. It's become very rare to see a AAA publisher say they were happy with how a game did.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It's a microcosm of a larger problem in modern capitalism. The financial side of business has become nearly untenable. Demanding constant unsustainable growth while already making good profits over investment. The idea of growth and how investors have latched on to it is effectively poisoning the system with greed. It's easy to see how this is at odds with a fundamentally creative endeavor like game development. It's relatively straightforward to draw the line between "modest profit" and "not meeting expectations" if your expectations are driven by modern financial people who are demanding unsustainable growth numbers across an 18 month window to satisfy investors.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The thing about investors and VCs is that they're idiots and learned nothing from the 2001 and 2008 stock market crashes and are gleefully driving us towards another one.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's a microcosm of a larger problem in modern capitalism. The financial side of business has become nearly untenable. Demanding constant unsustainable growth while already making good profits over investment. The idea of growth and how investors have latched on to it is effectively poisoning the system with greed. It's easy to see how this is at odds with a fundamentally creative endeavor like game development. It's relatively straightforward to draw the line between "modest profit" and "not meeting expectations" if your expectations are driven by modern financial people who are demanding unsustainable growth numbers across an 18 month window to satisfy investors.

I get what you're saying but I feel like it's a lot more complicated than that. Building a game the size of destiny is an almost incomprehensibly expensive and time consuming endeavor. You can't spend that kind of money and be satisfied with 'modest profits', because then a large failure will bankrupt the fuck out of you. The whole point of making triple AAA games is to make AAA money.

Gamers love to say that publisher greed is ruining gaming, but massive billion dollar blockbusters require massive billion dollar greed. You aren't going to get activision to give you 500 million dollars if you tell them they are going to make a 50 million dollar profit.

If you were to say the AAA market is fucked I would agree with you, but it's not because publishers won't settle for 'modest profits'. These are not modest undertakings.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    WHY ARE PEOPLE SO BAD AT THE NEW FORGE?

You kill the blue things, you throw in batteries. WHAT ELSE ARE YOU DOING??

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    WHY ARE PEOPLE SO BAD AT THE NEW FORGE?

You kill the blue things, you throw in batteries. WHAT ELSE ARE YOU DOING??

Dying to all the ads. It's a 650 forge, so you are fighting it at level, which is always tougher then you are used to since you rarely do that in endgame. And the mix of enemies is kinda nasty. Big beefy servitors and those arc-field exploder shanks and yellow bar snipers and all that.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I get what you're saying but I feel like it's a lot more complicated than that. Building a game the size of destiny is an almost incomprehensibly expensive and time consuming endeavor. You can't spend that kind of money and be satisfied with 'modest profits', because then a large failure will bankrupt the fuck out of you. The whole point of making triple AAA games is to make AAA money.

Gamers love to say that publisher greed is ruining gaming, but massive billion dollar blockbusters require massive billion dollar greed. You aren't going to get activision to give you 500 million dollars if you tell them they are going to make a 50 million dollar profit.

If you were to say the AAA market is fucked I would agree with you, but it's not because publishers won't settle for 'modest profits'. These are not modest undertakings.

10% profit is bad now? Most investors would eat that up. I feel like this is more of a case in point than a rebuttal to what I said...

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    "It failed to meet expectations" is what basically every AAA publisher says about all of their major releases these days. It's become very rare to see a AAA publisher say they were happy with how a game did.

Investors and shareholders expect every game to be WoW or Skyrim or Fortnite. The next big thing. Most have no idea how any of this works, how rare it is to get something like that, and how difficult it is to repeat unprecedented success.

The devs are the ones who suffer, and while I’m not suggesting sympathy for corporations, it puts incredible pressure on the people who make the business wheels turn. Most people aren’t Bobby Kotick, they just want to do a good job and go home without some stockbroker breathing down their necks.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Activision even said in their last investor meeting that they were exploring new ways to monetize the Destiny core. Their greed isn't exactly a secret, and while Bungie has made plenty of mistakes, without the constraints placed on them from the Activision deal, they can do a lot more. Wether they deliver or not after the split remains to be seen.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

Probably because a lot of those major publishers are hitting a point where the market is getting fatigued with lowest common denominator annual release titles.

EA/Activision are the cable networks of the gaming industry.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6

10% profit is bad now? Most investors would eat that up. I feel like this is more of a case in point than a rebuttal to what I said...

10% is indeed very bad for a high risk high cost investment

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Over the ten years it's horrible. Video games like Destiny are multi-year projects which tie up that capital for a long time and have significant chances at failure. Over the ten year deal with Activision the Dow returned like 8+% a year. It's not really that simple as payments weren't all upfront and so on but 10% for a risky business venture isn't going to get any investors really excited.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HyperionHyperion Registered User regular

Over the ten years it's horrible. Video games like Destiny are multi-year projects which tie up that capital for a long time and have significant chances at failure. Over the ten year deal with Activision the Dow returned like 8+% a year. It's not really that simple as payments weren't all upfront and so on but 10% for a risky business venture isn't going to get any investors really excited.

Furthermore, it's not just 10% profit on that game, it has to cover all the other games made that didn't make any profit (or lost money).

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
    Hyperion wrote: »

Furthermore, it's not just 10% profit on that game, it has to cover all the other games made that didn't make any profit (or lost money).

I mean, judging by all the people abandoning ship over at Activision, the issue probably lies with their own Board of Directors and the big dogs up top. Placing all of, or the majority of, Activision's money woes on Destiny is pretty unfair. They're the company that let so many properties and studios languish and die under their direction.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I mean, judging by all the people abandoning ship over at Activision, the issue probably lies with their own Board of Directors and the big dogs up top. Placing all of, or the majority of, Activision's money woes on Destiny is pretty unfair. They're the company that let so many properties and studios languish and die under their direction.

I don't think Destiny is really a cause of Activision's money woes. At worst, Destiny was a missed opportunity for a break out hit. That's not nothing but it isn't the sort of thing that cripples balance sheets. If it had been a Fortnite level smash hit then Activision wouldn't be having these issues but that's not really a hit against Destiny. Activision could be leaving because it is unlikely that the third installment of anything is going to be that sort of mega-hit when the previous two weren't.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Wow, when I came to check the forum I was not expecting a dialogue on neoliberalism and the relationship of late-stage capitalism with art. But I'm here for it

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Giant publicly traded companies are inherently risk averse and creating a new expensive IP is hella risky but some of these companies are going to need to, they need some fresh stuff to hit and then annualize. Ubi's honestly done the best job of anyone, their relentless and sometimes confounding support of all of their titles has let them keep stuff like R6:Siege and even For Honor kicking and bringing in money well past their release dates.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Has anyone had the black armory key mold offered for more than one character?

I believe my Hunter got it, but Ada isn't offering it to my Titan.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Just one per account for now. Don't think Bungie has announced any changes, but they've acknowledged it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited January 2019

Just one per account for now. Don't think Bungie has announced any changes, but they've acknowledged it.

Well sheeet. Didn't want it on my Hunter!

If I delete it will she offer it again so I can maybe pick it up on a different character?

EDIT: nope. Bleh.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited January 2019

I wasn’t saying that Destiny is responsible for Activisions money woes - just that the whole ‘corporate greed means publishers want every game to be a super hit and they should just be satisfied with a moderate success’ thing isn’t realistic in the AAA space

DodgeBlan on

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    How'd you get a screenshot of me playing last night

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So I spent the past two nights finally nabbing all the collectible lore bits (at least according to the random spreadsheet I found).

Yo, this lore is great. Yes, we know this. But damn, some of it usurps some of my D1 favorites.

The Awoken of the Reef has some great stuff and goes more into Mara's plan/situation in Revanche/Tyrannocide, and fuel to understand Zavala (Pilgrimage) or hate him more (Refusal).
    The Ghost Stories line obviously is fantastic, with standouts like Sagira and Opihicus in Ikora's ghost in Compliments, the first moment of a ressurection in Into the Fray, hilariousness in Difference of Opinion, and tragedy/horror-story in Confession of Hope.

I have to read the whole Uldren book now, since there may be some good stuff in there as well, but like give me more Bungie this shit is so good.

Like for example what the hell is this shit with Mara (From Revanche IV)
    Mara crawls through compartments choked with vaporized coolant. She keeps low and clutches the breather to her face. All she can think of is Kelda Wadj's last message and the data attached. "Mara. The paracausal effects are strongest around you. Whatever's happened to us, you are the locus. I cannot overstate how subtle and how important this discovery might be. Mara, when we use radioactive decay as a trigger for simulated bombs—bombs that could harm Awoken—the trigger atoms are a thousandfold less likely to decay near you. People are literally safer when you are around."

Zombie Gandhi on
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I'm a newcomer to Destiny, got it free and then bought Forsaken... so much fun! I always liked games like Diablo 3 and Borderlands with steady progression and fun loot, but since FPS games are heavily weighted towards PVP, it's often hard for me to stick with them. But Destiny's PVE stuff is challenging and varied. Is it too shameful to admit that the Ascendant Challenges are often pretty tough? Ha! I like being able to switch between PVE and PVP, and Gambit specifically is pretty fun. Using hunter with Orpheus Rig and tethering large groups over and over, and dodging to go invisible and pick up motes, is pretty satisfying.

Moreover, some of my friends are definitely getting a kick out of hearing me talk, for the first time, about "recoil" and "reload speed". I'm a bit nervous about exposing my skill to forum-fellows, but I might very well hop into the PA clan. But anyway, I hope it sticks around for a bit, especially after all the recent news.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Embarrassing confession time: I don't know how to trigger the cryo-pod heroic event.

I mean, I do. You wait for the gas to appear, shoot the out-gassing vent things on the pod, grab a ball, chuck it at the dude.

But I've thrown up to three balls at a dude before and had him 'resist the effects'.

What actually determines when they get frozen? Is it number of balls? Time? Some damage threshold?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Embarrassing confession time: I don't know how to trigger the cryo-pod heroic event.

I mean, I do. You wait for the gas to appear, shoot the out-gassing vent things on the pod, grab a ball, chuck it at the dude.

But I've thrown up to three balls at a dude before and had him 'resist the effects'.

What actually determines when they get frozen? Is it number of balls? Time? Some damage threshold?

You need to toss two balls at him, freeze him, and stand nearby like it's a glimmer extraction event. Then hold out to the end of the enemy waves til it's at 100%.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    He needs to be hit with three balls. If you hit him with three and he didn't freeze, you actually missed with one. Easy to do with the swarm of adds, the boss stomp, and damaging freezing gas.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

You need to toss two balls at him, freeze him, and stand nearby like it's a glimmer extraction event. Then hold out to the end of the enemy waves til it's at 100%.

I think, though, that you have to hit him when the "floor is lava electricity". I've never tested holding a ball until next "ow floor" phase, not sure if that works.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    jergarmar wrote: »

I think, though, that you have to hit him when the "floor is lava electricity". I've never tested holding a ball until next "ow floor" phase, not sure if that works.

I'm pretty sure they despawn after the floor clears.

edited January 2019

I can't answer the question but I can give you a counter embarrassing story:

On the Gofannon quest I failed to trigger heroic 3 times in a row because I couldn't stopping missing my balls and some other guy wouldn't stop shooting him

DodgeBlan on

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Boy that helmet is still stupid.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited January 2019

I'm pretty sure they despawn after the floor clears.

Yeah, but open vents respawn when the next zappy floor starts. EDIT: The orbs in the open vents I mean.

The biggest problem is getting there without someone else melting the boss. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

I can't answer the question but I can give you a counter embarrassing story:

On the Gofannon quest I failed to trigger heroic 3 times in a row because I couldn't stopping missing my balls and some other guy wouldn't stop shooting him

I usually try to let other people do the throwing because my balls just go all over hither thither and yon. It is a challenge, though, to get balls in before some randos Thunderlord the guy to death sometimes.

• awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm a newcomer to Destiny, got it free and then bought Forsaken... so much fun! I always liked games like Diablo 3 and Borderlands with steady progression and fun loot, but since FPS games are heavily weighted towards PVP, it's often hard for me to stick with them. But Destiny's PVE stuff is challenging and varied. Is it too shameful to admit that the Ascendant Challenges are often pretty tough? Ha! I like being able to switch between PVE and PVP, and Gambit specifically is pretty fun. Using hunter with Orpheus Rig and tethering large groups over and over, and dodging to go invisible and pick up motes, is pretty satisfying.

Moreover, some of my friends are definitely getting a kick out of hearing me talk, for the first time, about "recoil" and "reload speed". I'm a bit nervous about exposing my skill to forum-fellows, but I might very well hop into the PA clan. But anyway, I hope it sticks around for a bit, especially after all the recent news.

Welcome!

You may find the forum (and the community in general) to be a bit saltier than usual, as the recent Black Armory expansion has been....controversial, shall we say, especially among the grizzled veterans. But in general, I think you'll find Destiny has a very friendly and positive community. We're very welcoming to newcomers, so absolutely join the clan. I have been playing with Pax Arcadia for 4 years now, and it's full of great people.

Also yes, O-Rig Nightstalker is civilization.

awsimo on
    Hey, has anyone gotten Jotun to drop without having a powerful weapon frame?

Curious if I should farm the forge a little (didn't get it on titan, already had finished frames on hunter before the forge opened) if it doesn't drop on my Warlock, or if that's a waste of time.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Hey, has anyone gotten Jotun to drop without having a powerful weapon frame?

Curious if I should farm the forge a little (didn't get it on titan, already had finished frames on hunter before the forge opened) if it doesn't drop on my Warlock, or if that's a waste of time.

Reports are only Powerful Frames, only in Bergusia

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)