As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] Downwell, Dragon Marked for Death, and Wargroove out now.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think DKC3 is very good, though not as good as 2

Kiddy Kong is an Adult Teen Baby and I hate it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    DKC2 has the best soundtrack and pirates are cool.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I was a bullshit teenager when I played FFVIII and loved every second of it. STILL DO.

Donkey could have been easily swapped in for Baby Kong and the game would have been 100% more palatable.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I was always very amused by the "Play as Donkey and Diddy!" -> "Donkey's missing, play as Diddy and Trixie!" -> "Donkey and Diddy are missing, play as Trixy and Baby!" progression.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I will never understand why people dislike DKC3 and Kiddy Kong so strongly

Crappy art design, Kiddy literally could have been DK with no changes, No rambi, 4 billion collectibles to get easily the worst ending.

The whole game also just felt off.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    DKC 3 is a very different game from the first two. On its own it would be considered pretty good but expectations made most people view it negatively.

I LOVE the art design in DKC 3

The bright, Woodsy look of everything is my favorite of all of them

I just don't love how Kiddy looks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    why are you talking about nintendo games at the FF bible Th... oh, ok

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As it is I'll never read the Bible.

But if you put it into a JRPG, I would play the hell out of it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    has there ever been a good bible game

do they all just fall into the whole of edutainment, or did anyone ever make a Prince of Egypt-equivalent?

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Does El Shaddai count?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I was always very amused by the "Play as Donkey and Diddy!" -> "Donkey's missing, play as Diddy and Trixie!" -> "Donkey and Diddy are missing, play as Trixy and Baby!" progression.

It gives the feeling that the Kremlings are learning from their mistakes but not quiiiiiite getting it.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Vagrant story is the best Final Fantasy.

God I wish I liked playing Vagrant Story.

The setting and story work so well but I HATE the way that game plays.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Squall is undeniably the best implementation of the ridiculous art style FF deals in

The perfect balance of dumb and cool bullshit

I definitely think he's a more visually interesting character than Cloud, who is basically just a big yellow point with a big sword

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I feel like DKC2 has a very strong central theme (pirates, basically), and it adheres to it pretty well throughout. DKC3 I think is a bit more scattered in terms of theme, although I think it has some pretty consistent visual design elements, which I appreciate.

In terms of gameplay/level design, I thought DKC3 was pretty good, and there was stuff I liked. In terms of collectables, it was interesting to see it as the first draft of later Rare collectathons. I didn't think twice about it as a kid, but as a Sophisticated And Discerning Adult I do feel like it dilutes the game a bit.

Overall, I agree with Chincy's earlier take: It was a good game, but DKC2 is just better and tighter.

(I also have no problem with Kiddy Kong, and I really like that there was a difference between which Kong was team-throwing which Kong, as opposed to DKC2 where it's pretty much the same.)

In 2 all the kremlings from 1 are recast as pirates and some baddies like Zingers and mini-necky return which helps the game feel famliar.

3 changes the art design for everything but the kongs and its really jarring

new enemies is not a negative!!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I didn't really care for the Sonic-ass robo-zingers but most of the other enemies were fine

cdci44qazyo3.gif

When they suck it is!

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I just think the pirate theme is cooler than the camping resort theme.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The level with the timer and the swarms of bees stressed me out as a kid and made me hate the whole game

I didn't really care for the Sonic-ass robo-zingers but most of the other enemies were fine
    I kinda dug them; I giggled a little when I first saw them, like "oh, I get it, they have a literal buzzsaw in their butt-region".

Also, this game gave us Lemguins, which I think never got the airtime they deserved.

The level with the timer and the swarms of bees stressed me out as a kid and made me hate the whole game

that level is fun now!!

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I heard people talking about cartoon gorillas and I came running as fast as I could

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Shorty wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Squall is undeniably the best implementation of the ridiculous art style FF deals in

The perfect balance of dumb and cool bullshit

I definitely think he's a more visually interesting character than Cloud, who is basically just a big yellow point with a big sword

I like cloud's sleeveless turtleneck sweater
    also his Low Poly Big Sword

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    By the way, whenever I talk about how much I love DKC1-3, I would ask you to keep in mind that I bought a New 3DS XL (SNES edition) - despite owning a regular 3DS since launch day, and by the point of that purchase being entirely over the 3DS - for the single and express purchase of always having a self-contained device that would enable me to (legally) play DKC1-3 no matter how other technology (TV displays, video ports, consoles) changed. I paid $200 so that I could feel secure in the knowledge that no matter what technostorms swept the cyberscape, I could always pop in and bop some Kremlings on the head.

So, you know, my opinions should be consumed with handfuls of salt.

(Technically this isn't entirely honest; I did want the ability to play DKC1-3 whenever, but also the SNES edition of the New 3DS XL really appealed to me. It was the last excuse I needed to justify the purchase.)

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Counterpoint: Donkey Kong Country Returns

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I make new enemies all the time and it is definitely a negative

the tiki enemies were fun?

The Vikings were I think a marked improvement. If the bosses werent basically immortal and thus made me hate them Id say they were the best DK villains overall

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I beat DKC2 a few weeks ago.

DKC2 is a pretty fun video game.

I don't think I'll be trying to play and finish the other two, though.

dN0T6ur.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    If you're gonna play one DKC2 is the best one to play.

So you're good.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sometimes I think I might want to play DKC 2 again

then I wonder if I actually just want to listen to stickerbrush symphony

turns out that's what it always is

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I have an oddly distinct memory of renting DCK3 when I was 6 or so and just driving the little boat/hovercraft around on the world map for like 15 minutes.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I beat DKC2 a few weeks ago.

DKC2 is a pretty fun video game.

I don't think I'll be trying to play and finish the other two, though.

DKC is worth finishing if just for the last boss battle imo.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Dandara is hard.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Dandara is hard.

Going fast feels good, but will also get you killed easily.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've never enjoyed any donkey kong game ever.

edited January 2019
    Shorty wrote: »
    sometimes I think I might want to play DKC 2 again

then I wonder if I actually just want to listen to stickerbrush symphony

turns out that's what it always is

I don't know if I'm ever going to replay it, but it was a very good time (with some real bullshit parts)

I need to get back to Super Mario World

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Gundi wrote: »
    Dandara is hard.

Again? Doesn't matter. Goodbye, Dandara.

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.