As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Important [chat]stinctions

1919293949597»

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Someone please remove Ariana Grande from my head

Physically, if necessary

I've heard chewing gum helps remove songs from your head. Unless you mean like the actual person in which case do whatever pete davidson did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    It is really a crime that water isn't the most delicious liquid

Great job body really helping brain out

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Rules of Mugger Club

- No mugging muggers
    - Bring your own mug
    - Don’t just leave it in the sink with old coffee in it
    - Wash your mug, Brenda, this isn’t a hotel
    - Be mean

You forgot the first two rules.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I just tried to explain to "Dave" why he couldn't do the thing with the VPN that he was trying to do and he got really confused.

I had to just stop the conversation to keep from getting excessively and obviously contemptuous

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Someone please remove Ariana Grande from my head

Physically, if necessary
    here you go

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GtvvJ3kweSU

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I just tried to explain to "Dave" why he couldn't do the thing with the VPN that he was trying to do and he got really confused.

I had to just stop the conversation to keep from getting excessively and obviously contemptuous

You just described 1/3rd of my every day.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I asked IT about the DNS thing and they explained that there’s really only 4 digits to remember because the location code at the start is the same and the bit at the end describes the OS and processor architecture and that should be easy enough. Just four digits isn’t so hard to remember, right? Patronizing smile. Have a nice day!

YEAH. I GUESS. CAN YOU TELL I AM STILL UNHAPPY BECAUSE THIS POLICY IS HIDEOUS AND USER UNFRIENDLY.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Steve Jobs was right about everything.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

I wish I could get IT to explain why they removed all our one button links and hid access behind a remote terminal connection to ensure it takes way longer to do discreet tasks now.

The problem with that though is nobody would believe whatever answer they gave because they have a history of, essentially, lying.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Bah, got a decent chunk of writing done yesterday, and a whole bunch of nada today.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    SLS printing looks cool.

And expensive.

Man, this has really moved on since this video

https://youtube.com/watch?v=164xEt6hjU4

Although manufacturing in titanium is one of the circumstances where 3d printing can be less expensive than forming or machining, because as a material it is such a massive pain in the arse to work

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    *shoves food in facehole*

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ...why do you need the processor architecture in the name...

You know what? Never mind. I can't handle any more stupidity today

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Made a nice pasta tonight.

Sauce:

-Spinach
    -Onions
    -Butter
    -Olive oil
    -Garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil
    -Cheese (fresh parm and mozzerlla)
    -2 eggs

Put on pasta.

Consume.

I am now want to nap.

2 weeks and had one day I ate meat twice. That was salmon for dinner because it had to be cooked or go bad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I asked IT about the DNS thing and they explained that there’s really only 4 digits to remember because the location code at the start is the same and the bit at the end describes the OS and processor architecture and that should be easy enough. Just four digits isn’t so hard to remember, right? Patronizing smile. Have a nice day!

YEAH. I GUESS. CAN YOU TELL I AM STILL UNHAPPY BECAUSE THIS POLICY IS HIDEOUS AND USER UNFRIENDLY.

There's a problem where I'm pretty sure there's no product for adding CNAMES like that, anything off the shelf with a gui for editing them will be assuming you're a network admin.

A standalone user-self-service CNAME editor is something you'd need to make inhouse.

So, *sad trombone*

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

I don’t know but I resent having to write “-1064” at the end of me PC’s name for no particular reason.

Also the other 4 digits have no meaning whatsoever, I was wrong, they aren’t part of or a hash of the MAC. Techs type them randomly when setting up machines and try again when there’s a collision so they don’t even keep count of anything.

This whole policy is bullocks.

Location-Mothers Maiden Name-Smash Main

Obviously.

Lolol is there some IT grognard way at the top still traumatized by the 32->64 switch and thinks that some CRUCIAL information

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze

I don’t know but I resent having to write “-1064” at the end of me PC’s name for no particular reason.

Also the other 4 digits have no meaning whatsoever, I was wrong, they aren’t part of or a hash of the MAC. Techs type them randomly when setting up machines and try again when there’s a collision so they don’t even keep count of anything.

Your IT department is bad and they should feel bad

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Lol omg

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I wish I could get IT to explain why they removed all our one button links and hid access behind a remote terminal connection to ensure it takes way longer to do discreet tasks now.

The problem with that though is nobody would believe whatever answer they gave because they have a history of, essentially, lying.

Now is this actual lying, or the kind of lying involving "well IT said the new computer would never ever have to be rebooted?"

Location-Mothers Maiden Name-Smash Main

Obviously.

Age-sex-location

DK get an itanium server just to fuck with them

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'm back on DKs team, name that shit whatever you want

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    take 9 from sword point dip to stop me from drawing 3 lands.
    o...ok

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

This is stupid and whoever decided to implement it is stupid.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

bullocks1064

what I am hearing from all sides is a ringing endorsement of my rogue DHCP and DNS plan

Steve Jobs was right about everything.

I mean yeah.

It's why Apples fallen off of a cliff since he passed.

Now is this actual lying, or the kind of lying involving "well IT said the new computer would never ever have to be rebooted?"

Fake excuses? Like saying a software license is up or cost savings from a server move when it was really all a request from a different part of the company they feel is more important but also better to lie to us about it so we don't feel bad.

what I am hearing from all sides is a ringing endorsement of my rogue DHCP and DNS plan

just hack into the existing DNS server

with these chucklefuks the password is probably 'Summer12'

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man nothing brings out the vitriol like talking about naming schemes. Even if they are set it and forget in 99% of instances.

Fake excuses? Like saying a software license is up or cost savings from a server move when it was really all a request from a different part of the company they feel is more important but also better to lie to us about it so we don't feel bad.

I can't say I haven't bullshitted with people before.

Especially ones who swear they want to know the exact details but then the exact details sound like "an excuse."

I've also had people straight up lie about what I said to them when things they wanted didn't go their way.

So I'm kind of sensitive about this. People lie to tech support/IT all the time, day in day out, and then wonder why a solution can't be found.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I can't say I haven't bullshitted with people before.

Especially ones who swear they want to know the exact details but then the exact details sound like "an excuse."

I've also had people straight up lie about what I said to them when things they wanted didn't go their way.

So I'm kind of sensitive about this. People lie to tech support/IT all the time, day in day out, and then wonder why a solution can't be found.

Ive had someone say to my face they didnt do anything to their computer and when I got down there they had moved the network plug from one side of the room to the other.

There is your problem dingus.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 2.7

@Echo will create the new thread
    @jungleroomx is backup

This discussion has been closed.