As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If you have humble store credit that's a reason. Does the humble monthly discount apply to Nintendo games too?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I caved and preordered NSMB at the least second because the Digital Foundry analysis video (weirdly) convinced me to pick it up, also I can play as Peach technically. Played a couple levels after it unlocked, and time just flew by. It really speaks to how good Nintendo is at making these games when I've played these levels so many times, and I still just have a fun time without getting bored.

Also used my accrued coins to pick up Double Cross, mostly because I thought it was a metroidvania and the art style is banging. It is not a metroidvania, and it looks closer to a browser flash game in motion but its still a sweet game. It's an action platformer with upgrade progressions and power-ups, and the story revolves around a special agent solving crimes in different parallel realities. Platforming is a little wonky, but it's not too bad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I never did get around to FFXII. Should probably grab that rather than replay VII yet again.

YES!

It's the same world as Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. But by world, I mean literally the geography. They take place in such radically different time periods, nothing else quite lines up. Kind of like the Zelda games.

It got dunked a lot when it first came out for "playing itself". Which IMHO was an ignorant smear. They came up with an honestly visionary system of giving you programming tools that could automate the tedious busy work of combat leaving you to just make the important decisions. Every chapter of the game introduces new aspects to combat which they don't allow you to program around until the next chapter of the game. So you spend a chapter manually dealing with a new aspect of combat, and then right as it gets tedious, you can program the characters to do it how you want.

It was brilliant and it broke my heart FFXIII went a different direction.

Namrok wrote: »
    I never did get around to FFXII. Should probably grab that rather than replay VII yet again.

YES!

It's the same world as Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. But by world, I mean literally the geography. They take place in such radically different time periods, nothing else quite lines up. Kind of like the Zelda games.

It got dunked a lot when it first came out for "playing itself". Which IMHO was an ignorant smear. They came up with an honestly visionary system of giving you programming tools that could automate the tedious busy work of combat leaving you to just make the important decisions. Every chapter of the game introduces new aspects to combat which they don't allow you to program around until the next chapter of the game. So you spend a chapter manually dealing with a new aspect of combat, and then right as it gets tedious, you can program the characters to do it how you want.

It was brilliant and it broke my heart FFXIII went a different direction.

FFXII's system was terrible IMO. It did play itself unless you wanted to input all the commands manually, and inputting the commands manually slowed the game down into an awful crawl.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    For folks waxing nostalgic about Zelda II, did you ever play (The) Battle of Olympus? Very similar gameplay and the protagonist looks more than a little like Link.

Probably not the sort of thing that would ever make it to the Switch, unfortunately.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    My biggest gripe about FFXII, as I learned from Theatrythm, is the music. Just orchestral flourish after orchestral flourish, with no real theme or through-line to grab onto.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The rerelease lets you buy all the gambits immediately though.

And one issue of Tactics/Vagrant Story is the lack of anyone but humes. Ivalice is at its best when you have the whole vibrant mix of races.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    For folks waxing nostalgic about Zelda II, did you ever play (The) Battle of Olympus? Very similar gameplay and the protagonist looks more than a little like Link.

Probably not the sort of thing that would ever make it to the Switch, unfortunately.

I’ll give this a shot some time. I’ve played through Zelda II more than any other game in the series at this point, I think. The gameplay is great, but it’s hard to recommend to new players because the writing/puzzles don’t connect clearly enough to really progress without a walkthrough.

Aside, I thought the game saved your place at the entrance to the Grand Palace if you made it that far. I’m not sure how I ever beat it the first time if that’s not the case.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    My biggest gripe about FFXII, as I learned from Theatrythm, is the music. Just orchestral flourish after orchestral flourish, with no real theme or through-line to grab onto.

I hate to agree with this, but I do. I really like the work that composer did for FFT, but I'm not a fan of the XII soundtrack. There are some really good gems hidden in it, but for the most part it's as you described.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Are you fucking serious?

Namrok wrote: »

Are you fucking serious?

Yes, just need to get the gil for em all.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Christmas disaster! Left joycon no longer lights the little LEDs and SL and SR won’t work. As those are the buttons you press to ‘activate’ the controller, that means it’s useless for single joycon play and 4p family Mario Party is a bust.

Over a year old and Google suggests repair costs are in the range where I might as well just buy a new set.

Very much humph!

Update! Figuring that if my only alternative was buying a new one I could hardly make things worse, I ordered the arcane tri-wing screwdriver, took a deep breath, and breached the controller. Once inside it was clear that the problem was one of the ribbon cables as it would lose and regain connection depending on how I bent it, and then it snapped entirely.

Ordered a replacement part for a tenner so fingers crossed, if I can manage the non-trivial task of clipping in a new ribbon cable, and manage to not bork any other ribbons on the way, I might be able to effect my own repair here.

d7vpl1d0yl2l.jpeg

Feeling pretty smug about that there green light.

I’ll get back to you if it spontaneously sets my Switch alight or something, but for now it seems like a full repair.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

And one issue of Tactics/Vagrant Story is the lack of anyone but humes. Ivalice is at its best when you have the whole vibrant mix of races.

w-wark?

Xaquin wrote: »

w-wark?

You know what I meant kupo.

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My daughter really wants a dance game. The only option available on switch seems to be the just dance series, and there seems to be a new game per year.

Do I have any other options for dance games? If not, are there any difference between the just dance ones, or should I just grab whatever is the cheapest available?

Morran on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

A long, long time ago, and yes, most unfortunately.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I loved that game back when I was a kid. I was kind of a Greek mythology nerd back then.

I remember it being too hard for younger me, or maybe it was just a brutally difficult NES game. Or both. I do know that once I got Hermes' Sandals, I just spent most of my time up on the ceiling to avoid the enemies. Unsurprisingly, I had the most difficulty with those areas without ceilings.

I also remember the Gods getting really upset when you claimed you had enough olives to buy what they were selling when you really didn't, and also being kind of miffed that Hades was the big bad guy. But games like these need a final boss and I suppose nagging doubt is a bit too abstract a challenge.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Jokes on you I have a time traveling toilet.

Well clearly your Zodiac Age problem proves you aren’t utilizing it to its fullest.

Unfortunately the flush crapacitor, which makes toilet time travel possible, only flushes time forward!

Seriously though I would have skipped the PS4 version if I had known about the Switch version at the time. FFXII just begs for pick up and play sessions. Especially with all the hunts. I'd love a version I can take with me but since I completed it relatively recently I'm not interested in revisiting it so soon.

On the plus side I haven't played FFX yet and I'm definitely grabbing that on Switch.

Flush crapacitor fucking killed me lol

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    My daughter really wants a dance game. The only option available on switch seems to be the just dance series, and there seems to be a new game per year.

Do I have any other options for dance games? If not, are there any difference between the just dance ones, or should I just grab whatever is the cheapest available?

If you get any Just Dance I'm pretty sure you get 3 months free of their streaming service which basically gives you access to every other Just Dance track ever I think and makes the selection huge. Then if she's still into it after that a year sub is pretty cheap.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Whatever song list you want?

I wish DDR would come back. They could easily just let you slide the joycon in, so it would just need the pad buttons.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man I remember I used to complain about the gambit system...and then I started auto battling thru every JRPG ever. Hell, even DQ did it WAY earlier with DQ4's AI.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I didn't have a Wii U, so this is a new Mario game for me, and it is a goddamn delight and a half. It looks gorgeous on the handheld, and is full of inventive and fun platforming and suits/powers. Can't wait to play it with my kids when they get home from school. My 5 year old has been counting down the days since he saw it pre-loaded earlier this week (yeah that was kinda mean :lol: ).

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really hope Nintendo brings the Nintendo Selects brand to the Switch in the next year or two. Getting a little tired of the $60-forever pricing model they have right now.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I didn't have a Wii U, so this is a new Mario game for me, and it is a goddamn delight and a half. It looks gorgeous on the handheld, and is full of inventive and fun platforming and suits/powers. Can't wait to play it with my kids when they get home from school. My 5 year old has been counting down the days since he saw it pre-loaded earlier this week (yeah that was kinda mean :lol: ).

yup. Probably it was a timing thing. It felt like NSMW, NSMB2 and NSMWU came out so quickly one after another. Anyway, Jeremy Parish may be right that NSWMU is probably the best take on Super Mario World.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Discussions convinced me to dust Dragon's Dogma off my backlog in Steam. After clearing the intro, it felt good diving right into the "fun" parts of Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus, dumping two bosses on you and saying "go on, climb that monster and hump it to death."

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular

Only *kinda* a dance game, but Floor Kids is amazing. The art & music are so on point. And the gameplay is great for kids, you could prob dance while you play. : )

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

yup. Probably it was a timing thing. It felt like NSMW, NSMB2 and NSMWU came out so quickly one after another. Anyway, Jeremy Parish may be right that NSWMU is probably the best take on Super Mario World.

There was so much hate on NSMBU but it honestly might be the most fun 2D Mario game. Level after level of inventive ideas, not just simply block navigation puzzles but new gimmicks constantly just like in the 3D series.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I hated everything about NSMBU.... The music and the visuals were the main reasons I made it to the second world and quit.

urahonky wrote: »
    I hated everything about NSMBU.... The music and the visuals were the main reasons I made it to the second world and quit.

I think if you go back and review the footage you will discover that you actually loved it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    So this is cap'n obvious time but, FF X/XII aren't necessarily going to be the first to release. They were announced this far ahead because they have physical releases, which makes them minimum $30 each but likely more. As VII/IX are largely un-remastered PS1 games, its quite likely they will be e-shop only and maybe even $10-15ish, and could release at any time with minimal notice. Including sometime before April.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    NSMBU was dryer than dry bones. I played about 2 hours of it and began coughing dust. Water didn't help, forming a paste in my throat, NSMBU nearly choked me to death.

Oh brilliant

I think if you go back and review the footage you will discover that you actually loved it.

I never really enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros games, but U was the better one of the bunch. I vastly prefer the old school 2D marios and the 3D ones. 3D World was incredible.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I never really enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros games, but U was the better one of the bunch. I vastly prefer the old school 2D marios and the 3D ones. 3D World was incredible.

I keep hearing 3D world is great, so i'm really hoping they port it over to switch (I've no real urge to track it down for my Wii U <.<)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    (I was just kidding, obviously, anybody can enjoy whatever they like. :P )

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I keep hearing 3D world is great, so i'm really hoping they port it over to switch (I've no real urge to track it down for my Wii U <.<)

For any of the first party stuff that might be ported I’m always curious how they’ll account for touch screen or microphone interaction.

Blowing into the Gamepad was weird, but it let them do fun strange/experimental things.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Well, I'm nearly there in Breath of the Wild. Four beasts cleared, four Blight Ganon shades purged (Thunderblight can eat all the dicks, as far as I'm concerned- goddamn cheap thunder attacks), and Master Sword acquired. Now it's just a matter of saving up meals and fruit and potions and finally making the assault on the castle to go carve myself some primordial-evil porkchops off Ganon yet again. I have a good number of weapons, I just need to grind up the usual suspects- bows and arrows for one; foods for two (I might take a few weeks in-game and just create massive numbers of extra-heart dishes as well as armor or attack-power ones- I think I know where the durians are, now just to acquire mass quantities of them and cook them all).

Are there any other foods and things I ought to be loading up on before the final battle? I have 13 hearts and 1.25 stamina wheels, and I know they could be bigger totals, but I'm kind of antsy to try my luck against Ganon to see how I'd fare.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, I'm nearly there in Breath of the Wild. Four beasts cleared, four Blight Ganon shades purged (Thunderblight can eat all the dicks, as far as I'm concerned- goddamn cheap thunder attacks), and Master Sword acquired. Now it's just a matter of saving up meals and fruit and potions and finally making the assault on the castle to go carve myself some primordial-evil porkchops off Ganon yet again. I have a good number of weapons, I just need to grind up the usual suspects- bows and arrows for one; foods for two (I might take a few weeks in-game and just create massive numbers of extra-heart dishes as well as armor or attack-power ones- I think I know where the durians are, now just to acquire mass quantities of them and cook them all).

Are there any other foods and things I ought to be loading up on before the final battle? I have 13 hearts and 1.25 stamina wheels, and I know they could be bigger totals, but I'm kind of antsy to try my luck against Ganon to see how I'd fare.

Just go for it! Keep a save outside the castle and you are golden.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

3D World is great. Not as good as 3D Land, but still really good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    NSMBU isn’t bad but it’s a totally paint by the numbers Mario platformer. Everything about it is uninspired (kinda like Wii U). I expect better from Nintendo. I’d really like to see a new 2D Mario post Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. After those games turned out so well I expect Nintendo would be a little more open to experimenting.

At the very least get rid of the tired old NSMB aesthetics.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited January 2019
    NSMBU isn’t bad but it’s a totally paint by the numbers Mario platformer. Everything about it is uninspired (kinda like Wii U). I expect better from Nintendo. I’d really like to see a new 2D Mario post Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. After those games turned out so well I expect Nintendo would be a little more open to experimenting.

At the very least get rid of the tired old NSMB aesthetics.

To me a big part of it is "could this game have been made in Mario Maker (or a slight evolution of that)."

NSMB and NSMB2 (3DS) most likely could, NSMB Wii and NSMBU could not. While still fun, the first two listed games are largely "drag blocks around in a level editor," but in the latter two a lot of level elements rely on precisely timed events happening as you progress, giant moving and rotating blocks and hazards, a bunch of blocks moving in sync to line up underneath doors, rolling logs, bending mushrooms, unique enemies for just one level, etc. They're far from being rote or by-the-numbers.

NSMB2 came after NSMB Wii but it wasn't the same team as the others, it was created by a Mario design team in training, and it's likely they were limited in terms of mechanics to focus on nailing the technical aspects of the level design, as well as SMB3 nostalgia and the coin gimmick.

UncleSporky on