As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That TV Thread Ain't Right

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really look forward to once we've burned through all the celebrities of old being revealed to have trash opinions

just... don't be a fucking scumbag

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Then the subject of C.K. entered the discussion. “Leave Louis C.K. alone. Enough with that. And again, there are so many issues we gotta be motivated on. He’s been my friend — and I stand by that — he’s been my friend since 1985, and I think he has suffered,” she said. “And when he performs at the Comedy Cellar and people get all irate, if nothing else, care about his daughters. If nothing else — if you can find no compassion for him, which I think you should — think about how his daughters, who hear all of this stuff, feel. Why don’t you leave him alone for them if you’re so women-empowering?”
    Cause you don’t understand what it is like to be a public pariah, cause it’s not happened to you. You don’t understand what it’s like to have people in the street yell things"
    [another host says "But he chose to be a public person, and then he chose to take advantage of that."]

"Also, I don’t think you know the full story … and nobody talks onstage in their stand-up more than him [about] everything he’s ever done throughout that whole time. I don’t want to get caught up in this, because clearly you take a strong position on this, and it doesn’t win me any friends. This is like talking about Israel. But I do believe when you’re a friend with someone, and if you think that they have suffered — I don’t believe in kicking a person when they’re down."
    Garofalo goes on to note that “there’ll be nothing but vitriol coming at me about this, and it’s so easy to get mad at these things and then lose sight of other things that impact our lives.” When the hosts again note that they can juggle multiple issues at once, Garofalo tells them that C.K. has “paid heavily, heavily, and his family has paid heavily.” When the hosts take issue with C.K. performing at comedy clubs like the Cellar, Garofalo says, “Oh my God. Do you know how much offensive material goes on at the Comedy Cellar? You know what? If you don’t want to listen to him, get up and leave the room. You are acting like Mussolini has walked into the room, and it is not. This is a human being.”

more in the article but it uh doesn't get better

No, if he performs something I don’t like, I can critique him for it.

And you know, critiquing someone for making fun of kids who lives through a school shooting isn’t that big of a leap to make?

And if you want to talk about people who have suffered heavily in public, who has suffered more: rich white dude? Or the groups on the other side: kids who survived a school shooting and have had a whole political party turn in them for having the audacity to ask that something be done about it, gender non-conforming children, and minorities? All of which he made fun of in his most recent stand-up?

never die on
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really look forward to once we've burned through all the celebrities of old being revealed to have trash opinions

It is really hard to not defend human garbage that you happen to love. I have been dragged for expressing this opinion before but I still stand by it. It's terrible and shame, but it's also so very human.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh I mean I agree, it's definitely hard to write off people you like entirely for being dirtbags when you love what they've made. Especially if you're friends with the person, I'd imagine.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

It is really hard to not defend human garbage that you happen to love. I have been dragged for expressing this opinion before but I still stand by it. It's terrible and shame, but it's also so very human.

It's hard okay sure, but it being hard in no way excuses it. You know what's harder than admitting that maybe someone you like did bad things? Trying to live your life after your dream job and possibly your life was ruined by a man and then seeing that same man come back months after being outed as the monster he is, still rich and famous. To know that not only is there no justice in this world for hurt women, but that as long as someone has powerful friends they will never face actual consequences for hurting you.

You know what I don't have sympathy for? Someone who is already living a much easier life than I probably ever will failing to be a decent human being because it's hard. It's fuckin' hard just to live my life every god damn day, let alone try to be a decent person, but I do it. Because it's what's necessary.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited January 2019
    Yeah, it's hard, but also necessary. People like Louis C.K. don't deserve second chances. There needs to be a showing of actual fucking consequences, and a good way of doing that is for his friends to tell him "What you did was not okay, and I don't want to associate with you anymore."

Seeing people come out in his defense is, on one hand, kind of understandable (they've been friends for so long, blah blah blah), and extremely disheartening. They need to stop supporting this dirtbag. I keep thinking of all the lives he ruined just to get his fucking jollies and it makes me furious.

Moriveth on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    God dammit, Garofolo!

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Garofalo definitely falls into that subset of older, more well off liberals who def fought the good fight in their time but man, they now either need to adapt or stop talking.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

It's hard okay sure, but it being hard in no way excuses it. You know what's harder than admitting that maybe someone you like did bad things? Trying to live your life after your dream job and possibly your life was ruined by a man and then seeing that same man come back months after being outed as the monster he is, still rich and famous. To know that not only is there no justice in this world for hurt women, but that as long as someone has powerful friends they will never face actual consequences for hurting you.

You know what I don't have sympathy for? Someone who is already living a much easier life than I probably ever will failing to be a decent human being because it's hard. It's fuckin' hard just to live my life every god damn day, let alone try to be a decent person, but I do it. Because it's what's necessary.

It doesn't excuse it, but it does explain it. It seems to be a popular thing to do now, seek out loved ones of people who commit atrocities, prod them for a soundbyte and wait for them to say something stupid in defense of the monster and then pounce on them for being heartless. I am not a fan of this behavior, it does nothing to help the victims, all it does is spread the pain to more innocent people.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

It doesn't excuse it, but it does explain it. It seems to be a popular thing to do now, seek out loved ones of people who commit atrocities, prod them for a soundbyte and wait for them to say something stupid in defense of the monster and then pounce on them for being heartless. I am not a fan of this behavior, it does nothing to help the victims, all it does is spread the pain to more innocent people.

This is

A wild interpretation of what happened in that interview

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Yeah, it's hard, but also necessary. People like Louis C.K. don't deserve second chances. There needs to be a showing of actual fucking consequences, and a good way of doing that is for his friends to tell him "What you did was not okay, and I don't want to associate with you anymore."

Seeing people come out in his defense is, on one hand, kind of understandable (they've been friends for so long, blah blah blah), and extremely disheartening. They need to stop supporting this dirtbag. I keep thinking of all the lives he ruined just to get his fucking jollies and it makes me furious.

Lois is a piece of shit and a criminal who should be behind bars, I don't think there is any argument there. I just think it has become a "thing" to try and spread the tragedy to as many as possible by looking for people in the inner circle of one of the scumbags and ask...so what do you think about the horrible thing this person you loved did? and hope they stick their foot in their mouth.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular

Lois is a piece of shit and a criminal who should be behind bars, I don't think there is any argument there. I just think it has become a "thing" to try and spread the tragedy to as many as possible by looking for people in the inner circle of one of the scumbags and ask...so what do you think about the horrible thing this person you loved did? and hope they stick their foot in their mouth.

Is this like when johns say, "You have to tell me if you're a cop."

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    How brave, to defend a man who has pivoted to making fun of survivors of mass shooting.

What courage. What strength.

Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down, Garofalo.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

It isn't hard to say something akin to, "While I still love them, I am disappointed in them & their actions."

Anything else comes off as support for their actions.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg

This is

I am at work, I am only going off of what was posted here and a few other things that have come up lately with other media figures...If there is more to it, I am super open to reading it.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

This is

I am at work, I am only going off of what was posted here and a few other things that have come up lately with other media figures...If there is more to it, I am super open to reading it.

In the excerpt posted, the interviews keep on trying to steer her away from putting her foot full down her throat, and critiquing her wanting to do it, but she really just needs to eat her foot so she goes right to town.

never die on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I actually laughed out loud reading that. "Think about his daughters", amazing

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I think we should be asking every single predator's inner circle to comment. Abusers protect abusers, it's unlikely that the close friends of monsters truly had no idea what was going on, and the people who protect abuse are only a half step behind the abusers themselves in terms of harm done and absolutely deserve to be outed.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think it's possible to say "I am still friends with this person and have a close personal relationship with them but I am profoundly disappointed by their behavior and I think it's appropriate for their career to take a break." I wish more people would.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I think it's possible to say "I am still friends with this person and have a close personal relationship with them but I am profoundly disappointed by their behavior and I think it's appropriate for their career to take a break." I wish more people would.

You could even go with "I'm too close to him as a friend and can't speak objectively on his career at this point."

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    look when most people fuck up and get fired from their job, they don't get to just...show back up for their job

this is tangential, but is a bit that really fruatrates me the most

fucking

no one is entitled to be a millionaire, let alone only ever be one

bag some fuckin' groceries, louis

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    There's a possibility space where we've already forgiven Louis CK and he has his career back and he did like, literally not a single thing on the list of things he could do to make that happen.

edited January 2019
    I absolutely would not hire Louis CK if I were the manager of a grocery store.

Coinage on
  • balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    I think we should be asking every single predator's inner circle to comment. Abusers protect abusers, it's unlikely that the close friends of monsters truly had no idea what was going on, and the people who protect abuse are only a half step behind the abusers themselves in terms of harm done and absolutely deserve to be outed.

i'm only speaking from personal experience, but this occurs more often than you would think

people are very good at compartmentalizing their lives and keeping secrets

that said, once the secret is out, friends of people who did bad things should not protect and/or defend them

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Nobody's stopping Louis CK from getting a job in construction

6F32U1X.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Maybe Im completely wrong but my assumpion is that Louis doesnt need to work at this point.

Quire.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    look when most people fuck up and get fired from their job, they don't get to just...show back up for their job

this is tangential, but is a bit that really fruatrates me the most

fucking

no one is entitled to be a millionaire, let alone only ever be one

bag some fuckin' groceries, louis

"Celebrity" and "cop" are pretty much the only jobs where getting fired is more of an inconvenience than a serious problem.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If I was found out to be a sexual predator I'd lose my license and never be able to work anywhere near healthcare again. Which would make my entire education worthless and I'd have to get a job in retail or something.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Mr. G wrote: »

Maybe Im completely wrong but my assumpion is that Louis doesnt need to work at this point.
    I heard he mostly paid for that fucking Woody Allen movie out of pocket, so it is possible that he does actually need a job

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You know what's bullshit?

Getting fired for being busted soliciting a prostitute.

You know what else is bullshit?

Busting someone for soliciting a prostitute.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    '
    You know what's bullshit?

Getting fired for being busted soliciting a prostitute.

Sorry to hear that. Do you at least have some good references?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It also feels like while he said he didn't say them. (which is good)

It doesn't really feel like he came out and explicitly said he supports those communities that are consistently called snowflakes. (which is not so good)

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    TheStig wrote: »
    If I was found out to be a sexual predator I'd lose my license and never be able to work anywhere near healthcare again. Which would make my entire education worthless and I'd have to get a job in retail or something.

You could be a Wal-Mart manager. Not that I can prove it but some of those guys. Ugh.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    That B99 premiere did some wild things
    I'm specifically thinking of the stuff where the new commissioner wants to bring back stop and frisk, which they call out by name as being awful, and the fact that Holt's response to that was "The 99 is now at war with the NYPD"

People have often (fairly) criticized the show for being very friendly towards cops, and this feels like maybe a step towards having a more nuanced take?

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The B99 premiere was written by the Time Keeper himself, Neil Campbell

I often forget that CBB dorks have, like, real jobs

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Louis CK has to come up with good material before I pretend to concern myself with the question about whether he should be able to perform again

Because currently, even if that was a rando comedian who did nothing wrong prior, it's bad material that isn't funny

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    This new show on Netflix, Sex Education, is pretty good. Gillian Anderson said "man milk" in a very funny way and is like one person said, essentially a sexy witch.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This new show on Netflix, Sex Education, is pretty good. Gillian Anderson said "man milk" in a very funny way and is like one person said, essentially a sexy witch.

Go on

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Finished s2e3 of Runaways
    It sucks that Darius isn't going to be on the show anymore. I do think it's a good choice to still have the parents do awful things. It would be very easy to handwave some of the awful things they've done as something Jonah forced them to do, but they didn't have to kill the people they've killed this season, and they did anyways.

I don't know why I was surprised that Topher showed up, but I was! I know they're not going to do the vampire thing from the comics, and...well, the way they dispatch him in the comics is really clever, but it's also...a little fucked? And it definitely wouldn't work with this version of Karolina. Still...I kinda hope he isn't around for too long?

This discussion has been closed.