As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I just hope the combat feels good. So many comparisons to Warframe, but I can't get into the combat in that game at all. It packs little to no punch, IMO.

Granted, I'm sure the comparisons are broad and not referencing every detail, but it is a concern I have.

From what I've seen of videos, compared to what I've played of warframe the combat looks not at all the same.

Like unless the game plays radically different than it looks, its not at all warframes combat other than they are both mech suits with guns.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I just liken some of the suit visuals, some of the flippy movement and customization options to be more like Warframe.

The combat here looks far far slower pace while still being exciting. You usually are killing enemies in one or two hits in WF and there is just a non stop amount running into your death blender.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I just hope the combat feels good. So many comparisons to Warframe, but I can't get into the combat in that game at all. It packs little to no punch, IMO.

Granted, I'm sure the comparisons are broad and not referencing every detail, but it is a concern I have.

I've "read" that "people" who don't like Warframe's combat really enjoyed the combat in the Anthem beta. You don't need to be concerned that they are similar.

ObiFett on
    I mean we are seeing a lot of the abilities in the game because that's what makes the javelin's unique, but I believe that's only 50% of combat, the other 50% is the guns, glorious glorious guns.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean we are seeing a lot of the abilities in the game because that's what makes the javelin's unique, but I believe that's only 50% of combat, the other 50% is the guns, glorious glorious guns.

Depending on how you build it could even be more than 50%! I remember during the build/gear livestream the devs had one build that was solely focused on just making their guns better and more powerful with less emphasis on their abilities.

ObiFett wrote: »

Depending on how you build it could even be more than 50%! I remember during the build/gear livestream the devs had one build that was solely focused on just making their guns better and more powerful with less emphasis on their abilities.

Obi you always know the right things to say.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

I hope the guns sound good.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I hope the guns sound good.

Yeah that's a big part. I hope sound work in general is good. Like I've been playing too much of the division recently (far far too much GIVE ME MY GOD DAMN LAST GUN YOU FUCKING FUCKERS) but the soundwork in there is on point between like inside sound to outside sound, to like the ME 1 style techno sound track.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I believe the correct answer is actually DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA!

Simpsonia on
    edited January 2019
    Simpsonia wrote: »

It's one reason I'm going collusus. Other javelins have to recover I'll just reload motherfucker.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I've "read" that "people" who don't like Warframe's combat really enjoyed the combat in the Anthem beta. You don't need to be concerned that they are similar.

I just got into Warframe a couple months ago and I like the combat but I was worried I was going to miss the movement because ninja flippy bullet jumping is fun

But then I built Titania and it turns out flying around shooting all the things is a ton of fun even when it's kind of a shoehorned in mechanic so now I'm even more excited for Anthem.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    8 more minutes of gameplay footage from IGN during Alpha, this time of Freeplay.

I really do like how core the use of abilities are to much of the combat. Being able to fire them off again and again looks satisfying. Also, the environments are gorgeous.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I love the look of the environments I think my biggest curiosity about the game is how big and how explorable they are. Though maybe that has been answered?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    edited January 2019
    I know who hunters in destiny should flock to, those flowing cloaks, so flowing.

Man those resource collection times, as someone who played RDR 2, its so beautiful to see it go so fast...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm really liking to see that the freedom of movement, and 3d space is used in combat. Its not purely "just flying to get to where you want to go, then fighting on the ground when you get there."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Huh, apparently if the ambient weather outside is raining, you'll be able to stay flying in the air for significantly longer.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    Huh, apparently if the ambient weather outside is raining, you'll be able to stay flying in the air for significantly longer.

Man that's an awesome thing. I also liked how they take the idea of a patrol zone from like destiny, but combine it with the solo area of like the division from that IGN video.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I love the look of the environments I think my biggest curiosity about the game is how big and how explorable they are. Though maybe that has been answered?

There are discovery milestones, which I am excited for. One of the things I am most looking forward to is just flying around sightseeing.

Like a fucking tourist.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »

There are discovery milestones, which I am excited for. One of the things I am most looking forward to is just flying around sightseeing.

Like a fucking tourist.

And the video mentions they have reward chests in obscure places YES REWARD ME FOR FUCKING OFF!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    Yeah, I’m way too excited for this game. And I’m missing the demo for a trip. I need detailed impressions of Colossus smashing and taunting when I get back.

Gork wrote: »
    Yeah, I’m way too excited for this game. And I’m missing the demo for a trip. I need detailed impressions of Colossus smashing and taunting when I get back.

I'll make sure to take plenty of video and upload it for you.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Are you...are you practicing taunting already?!?!?

Are you...are you practicing taunting already?!?!?

That's my secret gork I'm never not practicing taunting.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It's probably just the state of the video capture but the in-game sound effects on those IGN vids sound kinda tinny and bass-less.

idk. Visually it looks a lot nicer and I'm much more excited now that there's a better sense of how the game plays on a moment-to-moment basis, but the sound design still hasn't grabbed me yet out of all the elements of the game

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I hope a bunch of you pick this up on PC, one of my RL friends has essentially tied my hands to the PC version.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I really hope that combat and abilities leave room for options so there isn't a forced cookie cutter build going on.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I’ll almost certainly be playing it on PC.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    All signs point to PC.

Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I really hope that combat and abilities leave room for options so there isn't a forced cookie cutter build going on.

They seem intent on giving people options. Like the two IGN videos showed two separate builds for both javelins and I don't think those are the only ones.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

It's one reason I'm going collusus. Other javelins have to recover I'll just reload motherfucker.
    Yeah, exactly. Why retreat when I can just reload?
    HexDex wrote: »
    I hope a bunch of you pick this up on PC, one of my RL friends has essentially tied my hands to the PC version.
    Whenever I do pick this up, it will be on PC.

Around launch I'm sure someone will put together a roster so we can all connect on our various platforms.

They seem intent on giving people options. Like the two IGN videos showed two separate builds for both javelins and I don't think those are the only ones.
    They talk on the livestreams about how each Javelin can have different builds depending on what you want to do. The customization is relatively thorough.

sig.gif
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I like how people gravitate towards different styles. When I saw the collosus I was like duh how could anyone not want the obvious most awesome choice.

The animations on the javelins are freaking nuts. I'm basically buying this game 90% for that.

Also why you probably won't see as many new javelins as there are new warframes. They aren't just skins, the animation, modelling and rigging looks insanely complex

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really like the Ranger and Colossus. The zippy ninja Javelin and mage Javelin don't do much for me, but the Ranger is basically playing Iron Man/Warmachine, and the Colossus is a Hulkbuster. I'll probably focus on those two.

• mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Welp, I preordered the Legion of Dawn version on PC.

Mind you, I'm also UK based so unlikely I will ever be on the same time as most of you folks.

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Which folks are opening to get this on PS4? Seems like I'm always in the wrong console. For destiny I was on Xbox, for this I'm on PS4.

What is this I don't even.
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'll be on PS4. All my RL friends who game are on PS4, so I go with PS4 for anything multiplayer,

PSN|AspectVoid
    PS4 here.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Depending on how you are looking at things, there is always a cookie cutter build, in every game. That is just how math works. There will always be a best. It is what World of Warcraft has been struggling with for it's entire existence, for example.

I hope instead that loot and abilities are balanced in such a way that even "non-optimal" builds are viable.

Which begs the question of "What is viable?"

To me viable should mean that you are not a detriment to your party due to your choice of loadout. That the quality of the player is able to overcome a couple percentage points in raw "numbers."

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I'll be PS4, along with a few of my Destiny crew.

Yeah viability will come down to like game difficulty and player expectation. What I hope with a lack of PVP balancing that they make sure all the various builds are fun and useful in groups.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Just gimme something as satisfying as ME3 multiplayer. Hell, I don't even need an endgame, just keep adding maps and shit. I put 500+ hours into that game because it was so fun.

This discussion has been closed.