As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    My fix was similar. Shadow step becomes a dark reflection of Mercy's Guardian Angel -
    • Can only be used on a targeted enemy
    • Reaper turns into his mist, cannot deal damage, cannot be targeted with abilities or damaged
    • Identical distance and speed as Guardian Angel
    • Cannot be cancelled, no advanced mobility options a'la GA
    • Cannot be used to escape Grav, but Fade still can
    • Reaper reappears without Shadow Step's moment of vulnerability
    • 8 second cooldown

It has the inherent limitations of GA, but Reaper's mobility becomes dictated on the placement of the enemy team instead of his own. Can be used to engage, obviously, or as a disengage to a distant foe. Allows Reaper to chase down fleeing targets he could never intercept otherwise, but the CD requires those moments to be well-chosen. Does not offer a "please ding me in the forehead" moment.

One problem with this is it would vastly buff his ult. pretty much no matter where your team is, it would always be in danger of a sudden death blossom right in the middle of the group

That's right ^.^

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Okay guys, I get it. You want Reaper to be OPOP status because of course he should be.

• Options
    Nah but a fix to shadowstep is what he needs. A D.Va ult can zoom into your team and decimate it, a Tracer's pulse can appear on your backside without notice - just make Shadowstep an Action Skill instead of a Before-Action ability and he wouldn't need that ridiculous 50% lifesteal.

And he'd be way more fun to play and fight.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well ideally every character should be OP, but only when I'm using them.

This oversight is a big part of why I haven't played this in a while. Get your shit together, Blizzard!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The real buff Reaper needs is deleting the character and giving Roadhog all his skins.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The real buff Reaper needs is deleting the character and giving Roadhog all his skins.

Lore excuse: Literally ate him.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    People tend to describe reaper as a low-skill hero, and I really don't think that's true. Like, his kit is shallow, there's no unique skillset to learning it and mastering Reaper doesn't really have any particularly unique mechanics compared to the rest of the kit.

But it's that lack of tools to master that also makes Reaper pretty dang hard to play. Playing Reaper is playing DPS on self-imposed hard mode, he's very limited in his ability to engage and escape, he has a multitude of hard counters, he's easy to hit, and unless you get extremely close his time to kill enemies is actually pretty high.

I actually find that makes him an interesting, challenging hero to play as... But only if all those weaknesses are counterbalanced by him actually being good at his niche. So I'm excited for his buffs, I think it'll be fun.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You know how in a platform game, sometimes you'll climb up a tall corridor but miss a platform and then fall half a mile back down because you systematically dodge any platform in your way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzj7Cp1Mt4

There's sending them back to spawn, and then there's sending them back to spawn.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hahah, nice. Though that could have ended very badly for you!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Oh, totally. And I think we lost that round 0-2 in the end thanks to various Reinhardt blunders on my part. There's a reason I use the highlight intro where he suffers a self-inflicted wound.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Ok. Before watching, I was thinking “Whatever. It’s still the same map.”

Then I hit play and my brain exploded.

Where am I?

A huge part of my playstyle is blinking backwards and sideways, through doors or around corners without looking first.

This would destroy me.

Edit: ah fuck. I just checked my brother's Overbuff. If he loses or I gain like 40 more SR, we won't be able to play comp together

8i6hrfb7r1yf.png

Tell your brother to Git Gud.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Where am I?

A huge part of my playstyle is blinking backwards and sideways, through doors or around corners without looking first.

This would destroy me.

Edit: ah fuck. I just checked my brother's Overbuff. If he loses or I gain like 40 more SR, we won't be able to play comp together

8i6hrfb7r1yf.png

Doesn't he already only play D.Va? How can you improve on that?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Idk, maybe it's just because it's mystery heroes and the comps are rarely coherent, but whenever I get reaper I tend to go on an absolute tear with him. Curious to see how the increased health leech does him.

soylenth on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    People tend to describe reaper as a low-skill hero, and I really don't think that's true. Like, his kit is shallow, there's no unique skillset to learning it and mastering Reaper doesn't really have any particularly unique mechanics compared to the rest of the kit.

But it's that lack of tools to master that also makes Reaper pretty dang hard to play. Playing Reaper is playing DPS on self-imposed hard mode, he's very limited in his ability to engage and escape, he has a multitude of hard counters, he's easy to hit, and unless you get extremely close his time to kill enemies is actually pretty high.

I actually find that makes him an interesting, challenging hero to play as... But only if all those weaknesses are counterbalanced by him actually being good at his niche. So I'm excited for his buffs, I think it'll be fun.

Reaper is like the DPS version of Winston. All of his skill curve is about positioning and choosing engagements properly.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well, tried to log in for the first time since the new year Tuesday, and the blizzard launcher hard-locked my PC. I've tried most of the steps suggested on their site and the end result is that now the battlenet app's uninstalled and still hard-locks the whole computer when I try to reinstall it, so I'm gonna have to play e-mail tag with tech support. I haven't changed anything about my system lately, so I'm at a loss why this is happening. :(

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Well, tried to log in for the first time since the new year Tuesday, and the blizzard launcher hard-locked my PC. I've tried most of the steps suggested on their site and the end result is that now the battlenet app's uninstalled and still hard-locks the whole computer when I try to reinstall it, so I'm gonna have to play e-mail tag with tech support. I haven't changed anything about my system lately, so I'm at a loss why this is happening. :(

That sucks dude >.< I'm sorry.

Where am I?

This would destroy me.

8i6hrfb7r1yf.png

I'm Canadian - I could never be so rude.

Where am I?

This would destroy me.

8i6hrfb7r1yf.png

Doesn't he already only play D.Va? How can you improve on that?

And he comes in handy a lot! It's just there's also a lot of times when you'll get hooked by a Roadhog and he'll be shooting the Roadhog and you'll say like "why didn't you just Matrix me? You could have saved me!"

"I'll save you by killing him," he explains.

"Then why am I dead?"

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, if his first instinct on getting hooked isn't to immediately start holding down boost and get the fuck out of Dodge, I'm sorry to say his D.Va needs some work. D.Va has a lot of favorable matchups and Hog is very much not one of them.

Edit: Oops misread that, but yes D.Va should also allllways be matrixing a hook victim. She's never ever going to kill the Hog before he kills his target.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Something I noticed that seems really odd. Wrecking Ball's Max Speed can plow through an enemy Wrecking Ball's mines and break them without blowing up. That doesn't seem right.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Something I noticed that seems really odd. Wrecking Ball's Max Speed can plow through an enemy Wrecking Ball's mines and break them without blowing up. That doesn't seem right.

You're not seein' the superheroness of the fiery roll. The mines have a tiny delay between sensing a target and detonating - which is why you see liquid nitrogen used to freeze devices so often in movies. Within that safe sliver of a second, the mighty rollin' Ham pulverizes the unsuspecting mine!

Chance on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If Bridget's shield bash is nerfed to 5 damage Lucio's boop needs to do the same. Especially with how EZ his wallriding has become. Make him a toothless nuisance healer.

• Options
    If someone is killing you as Lucio right now they probably earned it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    But... Lucio doesn't boop from behind his own personal shield.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Not really, they carry tanks in and just vulture some kills with that 40hp boop with a really short cooldown. It's a disruption move and should be treated as such if the shield bash is the new precedent. Or make wallriding require skill again.

Even sleepdart only does 5hp, and I'd be all for keeping McCree's FTH damage as is but change flashbang to 10hp, and maybe a half second quicker cooldown.

• Options
    Shield bash does not equal boop. Ham's boop does 50 and if he's 360-ing he can do it again in about a second. Brig's boop and Ashe's both also deal a lotta dmg. Rein's does 50.

Stuns are another story. Brig's stun hits for 5 expressly to remove the stunlock 1 hit on Tracer, McCree's does 30 expressly to allow it and... idk what Earthshatter does. 30? 50?

(Checks.)

50 - but it's also an ult.

Boop does not equal stun. Stun's power is the fact that it stuns.

• Options

A Lucio that consistently lands their shots is a fucking terror.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd played MH for the first time in probably years, and I get Lucio, which I never ever play, and I realized that his primary actually does a lot more damage and is more "aimable" than it looks like it does. It seems like a barely existing amorphous blob washing over people's general upper body, but it actually is more like a regular bullet, if somewhat slow. You can headshot people with it, even from a distance. The visuals are very deceptive.

Getting killed by a healer is still super embarrasing, but at least for me now it is a little less so.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    It's Friday! It's finally time to play some Overwatch wooooo!

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Finished my 10 placement matches. I am very confused. Last season I went 3-7 and it put me at 1525, this season I went 4-5-1 and wound up at 1350? I feel somewhat slighted.

I did make two critical mistakes, though. I let someone whine me off Mercy when D.Va wasn't available so I wound up basically feeding ult charge to the opposing team for the entire match, and I also caved to peer pressure and hit the "Stay as group" button after a win when I KNOW that it always leads to sadness and tears in the next one.

On the plus side, the first match after finishing the placement matches was one where we had an immediate dropout after we lost the first point, and somehow managed to turn it around and win even though we were 5v6.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    It's been generally accepted for a while now that your win-loss doesn't matter during your placements as much as your personal performance. I've gone 8-2 and placed lower than I expected, and gone 3-7 and placed higher. Even if you go 10-0 or 0-10, your performance is still going to be a huge factor in your starting SR.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Plunged to 1300s. Yeesh

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I'd played MH for the first time in probably years, and I get Lucio, which I never ever play, and I realized that his primary actually does a lot more damage and is more "aimable" than it looks like it does. It seems like a barely existing amorphous blob washing over people's general upper body, but it actually is more like a regular bullet, if somewhat slow. You can headshot people with it, even from a distance. The visuals are very deceptive.

Getting killed by a healer is still super embarrasing, but at least for me now it is a little less so.

The only healer to be embarrased by killing you is mercy since she's the only one that has to make it an active choice. All the rest can heal and attack at the same time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    McMoogle wrote: »

The only healer to be embarrased by killing you is mercy since she's the only one that has to make it an active choice. All the rest can heal and attack at the same time.

And even then, it's not that embarrassing because if the Mercy does decide she wants to kill you, she very much has the tools to do so.

To be completely honest, I would be totally fine with them nerfing the support characters' ability to heal others, while buffing their personal survivability. Make the support group a class of characters that aren't healers per se, but utility supporters with some amount of ability to heal/sustain and harder to kill without being as offensively dangerous as other roles.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options

ypu0kfi2ug6l.jpg

And every time we do it's like

ysvod3acmoe8.jpg

And even then, it's not that embarrassing because if the Mercy does decide she wants to kill you, she very much has the tools to do so.

Y'never know if that Mercy pulling her pistol is gonna' just spam shots in your general direction or start dingin' your forehead... But the same is true for, y'know, Zen or Ana or Lucio. If any of them are just accurate with their weapons, they're a major threat. I think among the supports TTK (an enemy) probably goes Zen > Mercy > Lucio / Ana > Brig.

Numbers tiiime! Let us consider headshots.

For a 200HP hero Zen can do it in 2 orbs or less than a second, Mercy can do it in 5 shots or 1 second even, Lucio needs to land one burst and a half, or around 1.5 seconds, Ana needs to hit you twice then Nade - about two seconds - and Brig needs to land 4 melees (2 seconds) and then her stunlock combo (1 second) for 3.

0.8 - Zen
    1.0 - Mercy
    1.5 - Lucio (unless Lucio has a burst combo I'm unaware of?)
    2.0 - Ana
    3.0 - Brig

• Options
    Ohwait Moira. Grasp does 50, Orb does 50, so theoretically 2 seconds.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Not really, they carry tanks in and just vulture some kills with that 40hp boop with a really short cooldown. It's a disruption move and should be treated as such if the shield bash is the new precedent. Or make wallriding require skill again.

??????

boop does 25 damage

if you're dying to the damage from a lucio boop, you were gonna die anyway

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    1.5 - Lucio (unless Lucio has a burst combo I'm unaware of?)

He does but it's so difficult and situational that it's super rare. DspStanky did it to TimTheTatMan's own Lucio once and I had to sit down, watch the replay, test a little, and run some numbers to figure out what happened.

The combo is basically a combination of the below, but in different orders based on circumstance:

4 headshots + boop + melee = 160 + 25 + 30 = 215

The difficulty is in execution and in your and your enemy's positioning.

So first off, that absolute fastest way to do this is in the exact order above or boop+4 headshots+melee, but you might have realised that the boop would push an enemy out of melee range. So that combo can only be performed if the enemy has a wall directly behind them (as was the case for Tim) or if you're already one speedy boi with wallrunning momentum on your side.

But you can also do 4 headshots + melee + boop, but that means you have to nail 4 headshots without any sort of predictability on your melee-range target.

But wait! You could go melee + boop + 4 headshots and then you'd have some predictability in the enemy's arc. Well, the problem is that melee places an (IIRC) half second delay on your next shot, so you actually don't get to shoot until the enemy's air-control has well kicked in and also they aren't at that lovely floating peak of their arc.

Put all of that together and it's not surprising you haven't heard of these combos because they're so bloody hard to pull off.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    That's not a combo, that's a secret end boss lol

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Placement matches are basically just continuations from the SR from the previous season and have no real weight besides the matchmaking seeming a bit more loose than normal

Besides new accounts I have really no idea why they even bother anymore

• Options
This discussion has been closed.