As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I get how frustrating something like that can be for a dev, but

a) Why is he bringing this up again now, over 8 years after that review came out?

b) Dan literally only mentioned the length once in passing, after making it clear that his main issue with the game was that he just didn't think it was very fun even in the short amount of time it took to play through.

I'm not sure how much he can fault Dan if a bunch of people decided to latch onto the length thing when all Dan said about it was one sentence saying it was short. Game length definitely matters (not that longer is always better, but it should always be discussed), but even then Dan wasn't exactly putting a ton of emphasis on it.

Again, complete sympathy for the shit game devs have to deal with, but that seems a little overly bitter to me?

Also, a 7.75 is not a bad game score at all.

In the very stupid scaling of video game reviews, isn’t something lower than an 8 considered a failure?

Also a lot of bonuses are dependent on absurdly high metacritic scores so getting a low one means a lot less reward for a shitload of hard work.

Absurdly high review score bonuses is not something that the reviewer should take into consideration when making their review.

Also I thought that practice had died off cause it was blatant bullshit?

I mean, I agree. That’s not what I’m suggesting. I’m saying the perception of a 7.75 game is “eh not really worth my money and time.”

Whether or not that’s actually true isn’t relevant, it’s a perception that permeates the industry and I suspect the average video game consumer kind of accepts it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    tbh, lately it's either during the bombcast or something like Dunkey's top games of 2018 where I learn about videogames outside my wheelhouse. Lately Quicklooks aren't uh...quick enough for me.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I just started listening to Day 4. Not sure I want to continue, even though i'm still on them talking about Best Style. The first three just talking about the games and what was good/messy about them was so chill and fun and now it's all tense and weird again.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The only reason I would read a review of any game these days is to see if it's a technical mess

I know exactly what my tastes are and what games I plan to get throughout the year well in advance

I've been surprised a handful of times in the last decade by something that I wasn't paying attention to but largely I follow this stuff pretty closely and keep track of any announced games that might appeal to me

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Honestly I think Game of the Year would be better if everyone just picked a different game and they all talked about each one for a while.

Everything around RDR this year was just kind of silly.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I have actually really enjoyed the RDR conversation (I'm through Day 4). I finished the game, but by the end I was just determined to finish and wasn't enjoying it and I kind of soured on it. Alex and Brad have really revived my appreciation for it.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They wanted the Steam Curation thing to be that, a list of recommends and who recommended it. It quickly stopped.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Nevermind, made the connection.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Honestly I think Game of the Year would be better if everyone just picked a different game and they all talked about each one for a while.

Everything around RDR this year was just kind of silly.

That's pretty much what Waypoint was this year. The staff members all picked a game and had a podcast devoted to just that game. It was kinda nice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GB's five star system actually perfectly maps to Metacritic, if you get rid of all the stupid baggage about anything less than an 80% being a trashcan fire

Three stars, being an average game, would get a 60%, a roughly average score

Maddoc on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    I remember Adam Sessler being mad at metactitic doing the same thing for X-Play, which also used the star rating system, causing weird skewing of games ratings and perceptions of how him and the others at X-Play felt about games.

edited January 2019
    Yeah, G4 was one of the outlets that refused to have their scores on Metacritic because of that.

Edit: IIRC the main issue Sessler had with the 5 star system and Metacritic was that 3/5 is a good score, but 60/100 is not.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Converting Star ratings to Metacritic ratings should set 0 stars to 50%, with each star equal to 10%. That way it matches up with expectations.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Also conversely, a 5 star game isn't necessarily a ringing endorsement that the game deserves a score of 100 on Metacritic

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm picturing Jeff Bakalar's wife lining up all the echos and Google homes she can find on a shelf and loading up a rifle right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    The tweet right before it is him discussing a Forbes article about the length of the new DMC

15-16 hours is too LONG

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Or we just get rid of all rating systems as a whole and instead read the actual reviews from multiple sources to gain a slightly more accurate impression of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    The tweet right before it is him discussing a Forbes article about the length of the new DMC

15-16 hours is too LONG

Especially for a character action game

Make it 6-8 hours long and create a structure to want to continually replay it, like what made me play Bayonetta 2 four times in a row

6F32U1X.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Polygon's the most recent site I can think of that ditched scores for its reviews. But like others, I don't really read reviews much anymore.

Kotaku, Waypoint, Polygon all dropped scores or even the rent/buy/skip soft review systems some sites have.

Meanwhile, Giant Bomb still has scores, but shifted from written reviews to podcasts/chats about the game in an informal setting.

steam_sig.png

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I learned long ago to weigh the reviews against my own personal feelings of the genre. A 6/10 Warriors game will get a whole lot more play from me than, say a 9/10 FPS.

Number One Tricky
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've found just to try to find reviewers I'm in sync with. For GB it's mostly Alex, Abby and Ben that play the games I play, so if they like something it's a good bet I'll enjoy it as well, and then I'll dig deeper into what a games about.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Polygon's the most recent site I can think of that ditched scores for its reviews. But like others, I don't really read reviews much anymore.

There are so many games and 60 is such a big ask I try really hard not I tend to wait until something goes on sale before buying it. But by that time I know enough about the game from word of mouth that reviews aren’t really necessary.

But I feel bad not reading them because I’m a writer but it’s difficult without a lot of free time.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Them boom anime babes.

website_header.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

... I've never seen Jason's last name written out and always assumed it was Jason A. Striker from hearing it >.>

Stabbity_Style.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.

THERE'S A GOD EATER 3 DEMO OUT?!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Anglicized pronounciation of what sure once was Österreicher always throws me for a loop.
    It happens to family names of course.
    But that originally sounded more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVpExMDdPg

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hottest Mess stays warm in 2019

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-11-fallout-76-players-have-worked-their-way-into-a-secret-developer-room-which-contains-a-human-npc

Players have been able to access a secret developer room in fallout 76 that apparently contains a bunch of assets for upcoming content including an NPC. Bethesda has responded by banning accounts that enter the room until they tell them how they entered the room.

Ceno on
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The Anglicized pronounciation of what sure once was Österreicher always throws me for a loop.
    It happens to family names of course.
    But that originally sounded more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVpExMDdPg

Yeah, as someone who minored in German, the first time I heard his name said out loud it threw me for a loop. But since we don't have the ö sound in English, it makes sense it would evolve into "ay" here. I sometimes wonder how different my last name is pronounced in Slovenia compared to how we pronounce it here.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.

THERE'S A GOD EATER 3 DEMO OUT?!

Apparently it stops being out in 7 hours, so we've mostly missed it.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    I never expected Jeremy Parish of Retronauts and other retro-themed excursions to make an Austin Walker reference, but he's been featuring Virtual Boy games lately, and:

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    SteevL wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder how different my last name is pronounced in Slovenia compared to how we pronounce it here.
    Oh. Huh. I could answer that, what last name? :D

(also, I horribly mispronounce my last name here so Brits get at least a hint of how it's spelled, rather than just stare back blankly at me)

Glal on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Jeff's Buu voice <3

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Jeff's Buu voice <3

YES!!! IT'S BACK!

EDIT: man I just want DB GB dub edition.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I wonder if they're gonna break out Ben's new UPF segment, Tales from the Blockbuster, into its own feature. Playing the video rental store games of his youth and realizing they were all actually not as good as he remembers could be a fun feature.

steam_sig.png

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I dunno. Playing a game you semi-remember for 15 minutes to realize it sucks seems like the quintessential UPF segment. I'm not sure it has legs at its own feature.

Undead Scottsman on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Guys, Mass Alex 2 should be coming soon. I'm so excited.